Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitcoin - ###Mod Note in 1st Post - Please Read###

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I am pie wrote: »
    It would be great if you could actually "cash out"

Apparently if you try to cash out on the most popular exchange mgtox they say it will take several months for the money to hit your irish bank account.

Now, given that this currency is generated for free or has been bought by people at anything from 5 to 10% of it's current value, where do people think the money is coming from to pay up when people want to cash out?

If you can't cash out, it's all for nothing surely.

When I sold mine it took 3 days to hit my PayPal account and I got full value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

It would be great if you could actually "cash out"

Apparently if you try to cash out on the most popular exchange mgtox they say it will take several months for the money to hit your irish bank account.
    Yes, the mtgox exchange appears to be having problems, related to the snail banking system, and US regulation. I would not recommand anyone try to convert bitcoins to fiat money there until it's clear that their problems have been sorted out. There are plenty of other exchanges to try instead, bitstamp.com, bitcoin.de to name just two. You can even arrange face to face cash transactions with people on localbitcoins.com
    Now, given that this currency is generated for free or has been bought by people at anything from 5 to 10% of it's current value, where do people think the money is coming from to pay up when people want to cash out?

If you can't cash out, it's all for nothing surely.

It's not generated for free, it takes computational work to generate.

The idea is that eventually you don't need to 'cash out' as Bitcoin itself can be used to make payments. We're still in the early stages so it's not very widespread yet. But if you are a merchant in Ireland, and accept Bitcoins you are already more likely to get my custom than someone who doesn't, and you'll pay less fees too, so you make more profit.

There are huge incentives for merchants to adopt this, all those Bitcoin millionaires may want to spend some of their coin no?

A possible scenario: The system grows as more people discover it and acquire bitcoin, the price rises, it's volatile at first as any large buy or sell can affect it. It stablises over time as it grows, volatility decreases and merchant adoption increases. Eventually there is a whole ecosystem exchanging goods and services for Bitcoin, and there is often no need for people to convert to government money at all, if their customers and suppliers both use bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Seaneh wrote: »
    When I sold mine it took 3 days to hit my PayPal account and I got full value.

MtGox takes several months to "cash out", this is the exchange with the most volume and highest price at the moment.

There's your answer

No, that isn't an answer. It just highlights your ignorance even more. Bitcoin has just as much to back it up as fiat money does. If anything it's less of a ponzi scheme.

srsly78 wrote: »
    MtGox takes several months to "cash out", this is the exchange with the most volume and highest price at the moment.

Then don't use MtGox.

• Advertisement

This sums up what a load of bollix this bitcoin is. You earn them by solving puzzles :eek:. In real world you need to work to earn money unless you're a dodgy dealer or some speculator.

It is not up to you alone to decide the market value of things. Personally I don't think that kicking a pigs bladder around counts as work either, but the market would seem to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

No, that isn't an answer. It just highlights your ignorance even more. Bitcoin has just as much to back it up as fiat money does. If anything it's less of a ponzi scheme.

So bitcoin is backed up by eh..... meh. It's simply another tool for speculators, doesn't matter how much you deny it.

That's all any currency is, ffs.

With other currencies you can do many other things like buying food, paying for bills et al.

With other currencies you can do many other things like buying food, paying for bills et al.

I just cashed in my bitcoins and am now about to do my shopping with the euros.

• Advertisement

You can use Bitcoin to pay for endless services online. It's not only accepted by internet drug dealers.

You can also cash them in for whatever fiat currency you want and spend that as you please.

People are speculating that Bitcoin will be used for this in future. It's still young and this growth and adoption takes time.

Bitcoin is *already* able to be used as money to buy these things and some merchants do accept it. You can buy beer in some pubs in the UK with it for example, you can buy many things online.

Yes, it seems no business in Ireland yet takes it but there's an argument that they will in future because it's better in many ways than the current payment systems they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

I'll sell litecoin if anyone wants it, I charge 50% commission, PM if interested I'll take bank transfer or paypal

You can use Bitcoin to pay for endless services online. It's not only accepted by internet drug dealers.

You can also cash them in for whatever fiat currency you want and spend that as you please.

Can you please quote a few usefull services from your endless services list
    alb wrote: »
    People are speculating that Bitcoin will be used for this in future. It's still young and this growth and adoption takes time.

Bitcoin is *already* able to be used as money to buy these things and some merchants do accept it. You can buy beer in some pubs in the UK with it for example, you can buy many things online.

Yes, it seems no business in Ireland yet takes it but there's an argument that they will in future because it's better in many ways than the current payment systems they use.

I doubt It'll have long future though, but the folks who invested in it speculating - good luck to them.

Finding a retailer who'll accept bitcoin is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Anyway all the best for people who believe in it's future and when I can run to my local and buy a can of milk, I'll accept it as legitimate currency.

You will have trouble finding someone to take Sterling here as well, but that does not invalidate it's use as a currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

We all do, because 33% of his gains will go to bailing out our banks and paying our public sector.

that Question typifies your denial about bitcoin being a load of ......

that Question typifies your denial about bitcoin being a load of ......

It is likely that our Office of the Revenue Commissioner's has already taken in some money from Capital Gains Tax on bitcoin earnings. It gets treated just like gains from other "foreign exchange" of currencies.

This could be paying for your dole, so don't knock it.

It is likely that our Office of the Revenue Commissioner's has already taken in some money from Capital Gains Tax on bitcoin earnings. It gets treated just like gains from other "foreign exchange" of currencies.

This could be paying for my dole, when I loose all my hard earnings on this speculative commodity. so don't knock it.

Fixed it for you :D

• Advertisement

I'm self employed so no dole for me unfortunately! Just lots of tax.

There is no capital gains on amounts up to e1270, and in this years form 11 my declared FX gains are under this threshold.

I've cashed out, done and dusted.

Well then you can help your other brethren

I am already paying for you, there is no need to rub it in. You seem to think it's "imaginary" tax I would be paying, on these "imaginary" bitcoins tho...

Finding a retailer who'll accept bitcoin is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Anyway all the best for people who believe in it's future and when I can run to my local and buy a can of milk, I'll accept it as legitimate currency.

Fair point, and waiting until you can use it in your daily life (and indeed until it's easier to do so) is a valid reason for not buying any now if you don't want to speculate.

Jeez didn't know my boss had a love child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

a can of milk

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I just cashed in my bitcoins and am now about to do my shopping with the euros.

Out of curiosity is there any particular reason why you cashed out at this point?

Because I am a dumbass obviously.

I actually sold the coins a few months ago (DOH), and have had the euros sitting in mtgox until recently. Takes several months to actually withdraw euros for mt gox.

I never got into this for speculation, I bought a few coins last year to buy stuff online. Now I'm just cashing in the "loose change".

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭xploderz

Thankfully the Irish government don't know anything about bitcoins otherwise we'd be expecting a "soft landing" and anybody who doesn't believe in bitcoins should go off and commit suicide.

From an investment point of view, this graph is very worrying:
    http://oi39.tinypic.com/2ajdnra.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

xploderz wrote: »
    From an investment point of view, this graph is very worrying:
    http://oi39.tinypic.com/2ajdnra.jpg

What d'ya find worrying about it?

Advertisement