Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some people think that Cork is "the real capital"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

rossie1977 wrote: »
    when you spend any length of time outside ireland all irish accents sound the same, they just sound irish

Not nessecarily... I know plenty of Germans who can tell Dublin from non Dublin. usually the non Dubs talk way too fast and a lot more slang. Dubs accents get mistaken up with American accents for some reason.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This Cork as the real capital is a load of arse, 'tis mainly those complete and utter t0ssers who go around in the People Republic of Cork T shirts come out with it. I lived in Dublin for a few years and it is a much better capital spot. Cork doesn't compare really, I only came back because Cork is home to me etc etc. Now when I was living in Dublin I didn't actually fancy living there longterm, but that's why Kildare is so handy, all the benefits of Dublin a quick train ride or car trip away. Now Kildare I could see myself going back to happily if things fell into place.

Dublin fine spot, Cork fine spot, Cork cannot compete for being the capital though.

Speaking as a neutral, I spent five years in Cork in UCC and have been working in Dublin for the last year.

Both places have there good and bad points. Both places also have there fair share of nice people and deluded idiots.

As someone who has never been proud of the place he is from (Tralee, arsehole of the country) I have always struggled to understand people who are proud of their home town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Not nessecarily... I know plenty of Germans who can tell Dublin from non Dublin. usually the non Dubs talk way too fast and a lot more slang. Dubs accents get mistaken up with American accents for some reason.

Happy Xmas Ikky :)

Its a Mid Atlantic accent.

Now you are an objective bystander here, but , do you think that Dubs are more than just a teency bit jealous that Irish Independence is owned by Cork and some other county countrymen who achieved it without a major battle while at the sametime being wistful and nostalgic for their place as the Second City of the British Empire, as union jackeens.

I have often wondered about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

CDfm wrote: »

Now you are an objective bystander here, but , do you think that Dubs are more than just a teency bit jealous that Irish Independence is owned by Cork and some other county countrymen who achieved it without a major battle while at the sametime being wistful and nostalgic for their place as the Second City of the British Empire, as union jackeens.

I can honestly say I haven't. And I probably never will.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

CDfm wrote: »

I'm a Dub and don't give a f**k about any of that stuff you just mentioned. Culchies seem to have a problem about Dublin that's all. It's the capital and the biggest city by far, get over it. If we're more British influenced that's good, makes us less like you. We don't really care about what you think of us though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Dublin people who ask where the other counties were in 1916 never seem to wonder where Dublin was in 1798.

Dublin people who ask where the other counties were in 1916 never seem to wonder where Dublin was in 1798.

Who cares? Why would anyone care about this stuff in 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    Character.

What a marvelous city and people if they go around saying they have more "character", whatever that means, than other cities. Losers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

I dont. Im just pointing out that their entire point is contradictory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

All these ****ing langers should be rounded up and shot dead, and then the whole county carpet bombed, if for nothing else then just to stop stupid threads like this cropping up over and over again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

do you think that Dubs are more than just a teency bit jealous that Irish Independence is owned by Cork

You all sat it out down there in '16, at least Mellows and the lads had a brief go at it in Galway!
    Much to the anger of many Volunteers, MacCurtain, under pressure from Catholic clergy, agreed to surrender his men's arms to the British on Wednesday.The only violence in Cork occurred when the Kent brothers resisted arrest by the RIC, shooting one. One brother was killed in the shootout and another later executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

PrinceMax wrote: »
    It comes down to a lack of confidence. I was recently in Newcastle, and the first thing I noticed when I got off the plane was signs telling me what's good about Newcastle. For example, something like, 'did you know, a large % of the companies on the London stock exchange are Newcastle companies.' It was just billboard after billboard telling you why Newcastle is great. It seems that the people who decided to put these up are assuming that people who are visiting are only doing so because they have to for some reason. It's like they're saying, yes, we know you think we're rubbish, but let us try to convince you otherwise.

I bring this up, because it reminds me of what I experienced when I moved to Cork. People will go out of their way to tell you how great Cork is, and why it's better than Dublin, without you even suggesting Cork isn't great. It's like they want to pre-empt this.

It's understandable though, because they love their City, but unfortunately it is a city that has little or nothing to offer, they know this, and feel the need to convince people otherwise.
    Cork has little or nothing to offer? Ok........ :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

nm wrote: »
    All these ****ing langers should be rounded up and shot dead, and then the whole county carpet bombed, if for nothing else then just to stop stupid threads like this cropping up over and over again

You realise it wasn't actually someone from Cork that started it, right? Though don't let that get in the way of confusing real life with COD...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

nm wrote: »

Ah...you're just sour because we beat ye in the All-Ireland semi-final......bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Remember, all us Cork folk are just jealous "culchies". :rolleyes:

And I've never heard anyone I know from Cork refer to it as "the real capital".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Because dublin is a shíthole i'd imagine

i have yet to hear of a city or town that hasn't been declared a shithole

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

it happens in every country, some other city takes a dislike to another city for no reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

aDeener wrote: »
    i have yet to hear of a city or town that hasn't been declared a shithole
    Paris and Dubai are both beautiful cities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭alandublin15

capital my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

yeah but in fairness, Paris is full of Parisians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I hate Cork, got some in my wine today and it was disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Nah, I know a French woman who can't get over what a shthole Paris is.

To Dubai it is

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Remember the outpouring of grief in Dublin when Princess Di died and I expect similar loved up Dublin when Prince William gets married. Its a cultural thing in Dublin that all things British Royal family are loved by Dubliners.
    PrivateEye wrote: »
    You all sat it out down there in '16, at least Mellows and the lads had a brief go at it in Galway!

Integral to the Cork action was a rendezvous with Roger Casement and the Aud for a consignment of weapons.

The Dublin leadership had neglected to give arms and munitions to Cork.

We all no where they went dont we.

So while the Dublin men were all holidaying in Wales after a feed of biscuits at the Bolands Biscuit Factory the Corkmen were getting on with the War of Independence and freeing the Dubliners.

The lack of weapons did not deter the valiant Corkmen hit on a cunning plan and like the A-Team simply attacked British forces barracks and took their guns .

And that PrivateEye is the story of Irish Independence.

Even Ikky Pooh is reluctant to speculate as to whether Dublin had independence forced upon it. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'm all for a Federal Republic

Let Munster keeps Kerry Group, Enfer and other corporations.
    Let Dublin sort out Anglo Irish and the other banks, after all the HQ's are in their county.

Always thought Ireland should have been a Federal Republic. The concerns of Dublin are very different to say the concerns of Galway, Limerick, Cork or Waterford, the Midlands, the West and Donegal. Without getting in to it too much, the ability of each Federation to raise it's own taxes, decide it's own laws and strategies for development is a far better idea to the current mess.

Let Cork be an Autonomous Republic as well. And if we were a Federation, it'd be far more likely that the Six Counties would be able to integrate on terms more agreeable with the Unionist population than straight out rule from Dublin.

And now, more Vodka.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

orourkeda wrote: »
    Nice to see that the internet has reached the rural backwater that is Co Cavan. You'll be going upstairs on the bus next.

Isn't it rather ironic that someone from (or in) Cavan has the stones to pass comment on another persons accent. The most repulsive accent known to man.

If Cavan is so ****e why do so many Dubs move here and live here? And in other rural counties?

Because Dublin is such a kip.

This you and your mate o'rourke.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

grenache wrote: »
    I do and i'm from outside Cork. Although i do live there. I feel its just more representative of Irish society than Dublin. Dublin for me is a little too big and fast paced and is at odds with the rest of the country. I do like Dublin but Cork is definitely the capital.
    lol never considered Dublin too big and/or fast paced at all.

OisinT wrote: »
    lol never considered Dublin too big and/or fast paced at all.

The Civil and Public Service is a huge employer in Dublin.

Any idea what the numbers are ?
    Civil service numbers are at 38,572 this year from 37,156 last year. Due to decentralisation and transfers, not all civil servants completed their PMDS last year. The programme is to be introduced for 3,500 prison officers from 2009.
    The state’s 35,000 local authority workers are committed to implementing the same scheme. A spokeswoman for the Health Service Executive, which employs 111,000 people, said it operated a performance review system that does not involve ratings.

Dublin needs the rest of the country and the rest of the country are Dublins employers .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i'd imagine over the past month its been the capital of steep roads n sidewalks that are truly, impossible to negotiate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement