Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some people think that Cork is "the real capital"?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I notice some of the more venomous posts are coming from Dublin posters. Obviously this thread has caused some insecurities to shine up in the pale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

That Straight Road is just that - the longest straight road in Ireland.

Are there any Gay bars on it ?

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Are there any Gay bars on it ?

Two drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff.

Ba Dum Tish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Because they're langers.
    Seriously Corkites, if you really think you're the "independent republic of Cork", then please declare that repbulic and I'll gladly vote to let your self-mythologising Michale Collins murdering a55es out of Eire. Got the cojones boy? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

Cork has nothing on Dublin-the biggest city with the most people,commerce and culture.

But most importantly, it's closer to mother Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

because dublin is the most financial and historical place in ireland. while all us dublins were getting slaughtered in the rising the cork cultchies did fuk all i think dublin deserves to be capital

ricero wrote: »
    because dublin is the most financial and historical place in ireland. while all us dublins were getting slaughtered in the rising the cork cultchies did fuk all i think dublin deserves to be capital

You do realise that the majority of the people that signed the Proclamation of Independence were not from Dublin, right?

Thomas J. Clarke - County Tyrone (though he was born on the Isle of Wight, he grew up in Tyrone)
    Seán Mac Diarmada - County Leitrim
    Thomas MacDonagh - County Tipperary
    Pádraig Pearse - Dublin
    Éamonn Ceannt - County Galway
    James Connolly - Scotland
    Joseph Mary Plunkett - Dublin

So, my point is that without the rest of the country, there would never have been a rising.

You do realise that the majority of the people that signed the Proclamation of Independence were not from Dublin, right?

yea but the main organizer of the blood sacarafice and rising was from dublin. also the innocent people shot and killed on the streets of dublin were not cultchies they were dubs

Yet without the help of the other signatories and what they contributed, it wouldn't have mattered a damned what Pearse was saying or doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Discuss
    cause dublin is nothing more than englands bitch. jackeen pale mother fckers

• Advertisement

Yet without the help of the other signatories and what they contributed, it wouldn't have mattered a damned what Pearse was saying or doing.

he got the ball rolling what were others doing at the same time ****ing nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What did you contribute?

What did you contribute?

this was over 80 years ago i was not born ;)

digme wrote: »
    cause dublin is nothing more than englands bitch. jackeen pale mother fckers

id rather be englands bitch then avin a cultchie accent, living in the arse hole of nowhere and crying when your team loses an all ireland and having your favorite bands being the saw doctors and clannad :D

this was over 80 years ago i was not born ;)
    excuses....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

War of independence was won in west cork. Yeah, we did **** all.

War of independence was won in west cork. Yeah, we did **** all.

cause of the civil war

west cork best place in the country :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

id rather be englands bitch then avin a cultchie accent, living in the arse hole of nowhere and crying when your team loses an all ireland and having your favorite bands being the saw doctors and clannad :D

I would prefer all of the above to eating my dinner out of a rubbish bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Seriously, are some of ye fucking nine? And that applies to those attacking Dubs too.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Seriously, are some of ye fucking nine?
    go away granny

its christmas lets stop this bull**** actually why are we even on this its ****ing christmas

its christmas lets stop this bull**** actually why are we even on this its ****ing christmas
    im only taking the piss winding people :)just waiting for the dinner

Dudess wrote: »
    Seriously, are some of ye fucking nine?

No, ten is the youngest I'm willing to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

twinytwo wrote: »
    After the scum hole dublin has become im glad cork is not the capital;)

wait just a minute.............Dublin hasn't just become a scum hole, its always been a scum hole :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Dublin doesn't know what it is, both historically and the present.

It has never truly been an "Irish city," synonymous with being Irish. Anyone that travels to Ireland knows to stay out of Dublin if they want to meet Irish people and have an authentic Irish experience.

Just travel around Dublin. They are so obsessed with their multi-cultural flavor of the day that they have given up the Irish culture. I use the term culture loosely as what they had was not much at all.

Dubliner's see themselves as Dubliner's first, not Irish. Being Irish is kind of a necessary evil for Dubliner's since they are in Ireland, technically.

Cork on the other hand is truly Rebel Country. They are fiercely Irish. When there's a revolution, you will not find them at the football match.

As for Dublin being a real city, please. Anyone that believes this has never been over water.

Dublin is not big enough to rival a real city: NYC, London, Paris, ... It is not small enough to a tightly-knit city. It's right smack in the middle - kind of like a metro area, not full on city.

So Cork would be the capital city, in terms of its Latin roots - the head city. Also, as an Irish city, with Irish people, and Irishness at its roots, Cork again is the capital city as it is primarily just that.

If you define capital as the most populated or the seat of government, then Dublin would have to be capital.

People in Dublin think the buildings that make them Irish.

To all the Dubliners, job well done on that gov't. Sure the British wouldn't do a better job themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Ahem, nobody would have heard of him cept for his oration at O'Donavan Rossa's funeral and where was the bold Jerimiah from Cork.

The rising may have been in Dublin but was purely symbolic.

The War of Independence was seperate and lead and run by Corkmen and other country people.Cork was the only place that the British did not have military control over.

The sentries of Dublin Castle werent even issued with ammunition and there was an arsenal in Trinity College.

Sorry, but Cork wins out on real military victories.

The old dog for the hard road and the pup for the pathway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Damn south Brits the lot of them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I always thought that the Hill of Tara was the real capital.

It even has its own motorway nowadays :pac:

Dubliner's see themselves as Dubliner's first, not Irish. Being Irish is kind of a necessary evil for Dubliner's since they are in Ireland, technically.

Funny, that was the impression I got from everywhere in Ireland that wasn't Dublin. GAA county first, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

id rather be englands bitch then avin a cultchie accent

when you spend any length of time outside ireland all irish accents sound the same, they just sound irish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement