Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do some people think that Cork is "the real capital"?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dublin is a sh1thole. Half the people talk with normal Dublin knacker accents and the other half are so ashamed of knacker accents they made up a crap false D4 accent that is even harder on the ears than the original accent :rolleyes:

Nice to see that the internet has reached the rural backwater that is Co Cavan. You'll be going upstairs on the bus next.

Isn't it rather ironic that someone from (or in) Cavan has the stones to pass comment on another persons accent. The most repulsive accent known to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

orourkeda wrote: »
    Nice to see that the internet has reached the rural backwater that is Co Cavan. You'll be going upstairs on the bus next.

Isn't it rather ironic that someone from (or in) Cavan has the stones to pass comment on another persons accent. The most repulsive accent known to man.

such an angry comment where you drinking jack daniels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

tigger123 wrote: »
    Balls to that, Cork just has a chip on it's shoulder :p

No really, thats where jackeens come's from they didn't want to give up their union jacks.

As for having a revolution by taking over a post office and a biscuit factory -that had to have been thought up in Dublin.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Stupid my city is better than your city crap, lets just go the full hog and argue about football teams that aint even on our island !!! Dubs have always treated me well, just as people in Cork have, its the smaller towns are the worse, everyone wants to know your business, whereas Cork and Dublin, nobody gives a **** as long as you dont bother anyone..

charlemont wrote: »
    Stupid my city is better than your city crap, .

Its only stupid if you are not from Cork :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

Im gonna say cos they are idiots, so Dublin is the fake capital yeah? ya dont see oklahoma or worthing pretending to be capital. only in cork :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

CDfm wrote: »
    No really, thats where jackeens come's from they didn't want to give up their union jacks.

As for having a revolution by taking over a post office and a biscuit factory -that had to have been thought up in Dublin.:pac:

Do ye have any biscuits?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Not from Cork or Dublin but work in the latter. Thing that kills me is that even in the good years, Dublin was full of Cork men & women reminiscing of home, which is so wonderful & great. Except in the area of gaining employment that doesn't involve labouring or tending animals! If Cork is so excellent, surely a person with a degree could get a job that is relevant to those skills? Doesn't seem to be the case. You don't hear people from other backwater counties (such as myself) complaining how our counties are so much better despite moving to Dublin for work. Happy Christmas, I'm sure it's better in Cark like.

@vim fuego your username gives you away as a europhile.

The Celtic Tiger era benefited Dublin disprortionately vs the rest of the country, the Croke Park Agreement benefits Dublin .

So when everything went well - it was Dublins success but the EU/IMF bailout is ahem for the country to fund to keep Dublin on the map.

If the banks had been regulated from Cork things would not have been so cosy. The Central Bank would have regulated and the rest of the country wouldnt have to bailout the Dublin Banks.

As it was the Central Bank of Dublin screwed up especially with Anglo-Dublin and now Allied Dublin Bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm all for a Federal Republic

Let Munster keeps Kerry Group, Enfer and other corporations.
    Let Dublin sort out Anglo Irish and the other banks, after all the HQ's are in their county.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Because:

Cork > Dublin. Plus the greatest Irish footballer of all time is from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

CDfm wrote: »
    @vim fuego your username gives you away as a europhile.

The Celtic Tiger era benefited Dublin disprortionately vs the rest of the country, the Croke Park Agreement benefits Dublin .

So when everything went well - it was Dublins success but the EU/IMF bailout is ahem for the country to fund to keep Dublin on the map.

If the banks had been regulated from Cork things would not have been so cosy. The Central Bank would have regulated and the rest of the country wouldnt have to bailout the Dublin Banks.

As it was the Central Bank of Dublin screwed up especially with Anglo-Dublin and now Allied Dublin Bank.

Err, my username gives me away as a fan of the Comic Strip Presents.... mockumentary 'Bad News' starring Ade Edmondson.

Absolutely disagree with your post anyway though. Central Bank of Dublin? Wow. The recession is Dublin's fault? How many Fianna Fail TDs did Cork elect? No reckless spending down there no?

CorkMan wrote: »
    Because:

Cork > Dublin. Plus the greatest Irish footballer of all time is from here.
    Jimmy Barry-Murphy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Jimmy Barry-Murphy?

No, Keano.

Well your post was on football.
    There is only one National Football League in this country

I'm all for a Federal Republic

You are probably the most gifted economist since John Maynard Keynes ;)
    Let Munster keeps Kerry Group, Enfer and other corporations.
    Let Dublin sort out Anglo Irish and the other banks, after all the HQ's are in their county.

Here here
    Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Err, my username gives me away as a fan of the Comic Strip Presents.... mockumentary 'Bad News' starring Ade Edmondson.

I see what youve done there
    Absolutely disagree with your post anyway though. Central Bank of Dublin? Wow. The recession is Dublin's fault? How many Fianna Fail TDs did Cork elect? No reckless spending down there no?

The Civil Service and the Unions who hold the real power are all based in Dublin. The delays in implementing Croke Park have now toted up to equal the Anglo Irish Bailout in the 18 months since Croke Park. The key factor in the IMF/EU action. Only a europhile would approve.

Feelingstressed is here too so you wont get away with this.

Cork saved Ireland once before and can do it again.

The Civil Service is a legacy from British Imperialism and want to rejoin the Empire missing the pretty Jackeen flags and with a royal wedding on the cards are dusting them off.

It is only right that we give Britain back its civil service it forgot to pack on indepedendence and repatriate this lost generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

OisinT wrote: »
    Nobody from outside Cork believes that AFAIK
    I do and i'm from outside Cork. Although i do live there. I feel its just more representative of Irish society than Dublin. Dublin for me is a little too big and fast paced and is at odds with the rest of the country. I do like Dublin but Cork is definitely the capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

everyone thats not from cork wishes they were

BERBA wrote: »
    everyone thats not from cork wishes they were
    I wouldn't go that far! But certainly Cork does have many admirable and likable characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Why is it that Dubs think everyone outside the pale are all meat eating thicko barbarians ,

DISCUSS !!!!!

• Advertisement

davy_b wrote: »
    Why is it that Dubs think everyone outside the pale are all meat eating thicko barbarians ,

DISCUSS !!!!!
    Because half of them never leave the place and the rest are jealous of the clean green countryside that many "culchies" inhabit. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    oh dear. get over yourself. there is a pretty similar ratio of idiots in Dublin to anywhere else. The only difference is that Dublin generates 60% of the taxes and gets 40% of the spend. Thanks to the likes of J H Rae and Lowry. I speak as a Wexfordman born and bred who was lucky enough to escape the narrow minded little pond mentality that is prevalent outside the Pale.

Anywayz, Cork = Hubris. My Dad was from Cork, so I should know. And we, the people of New Ross , will NEVER forget the North Cork Militia that butchered the first Republic in 1798. Rebel County my AR*E . VERY WEST BRITS more like.
    You want me to get over myself while you are still moaning about what happened back in 1798 :rolleyes:

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    oh dear. get over yourself. there is a pretty similar ratio of idiots in Dublin to anywhere else. The only difference is that Dublin generates 60% of the taxes and gets 40% of the spend. .

Is that with or without civil servants ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

It comes down to a lack of confidence. I was recently in Newcastle, and the first thing I noticed when I got off the plane was signs telling me what's good about Newcastle. For example, something like, 'did you know, a large % of the companies on the London stock exchange are Newcastle companies.' It was just billboard after billboard telling you why Newcastle is great. It seems that the people who decided to put these up are assuming that people who are visiting are only doing so because they have to for some reason. It's like they're saying, yes, we know you think we're rubbish, but let us try to convince you otherwise.

I bring this up, because it reminds me of what I experienced when I moved to Cork. People will go out of their way to tell you how great Cork is, and why it's better than Dublin, without you even suggesting Cork isn't great. It's like they want to pre-empt this.

It's understandable though, because they love their City, but unfortunately it is a city that has little or nothing to offer, they know this, and feel the need to convince people otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Keane better than George Best. I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Not from Cork or Dublin but work in the latter. Thing that kills me is that even in the good years, Dublin was full of Cork men & women reminiscing of home, which is so wonderful & great. Except in the area of gaining employment that doesn't involve labouring or tending animals! If Cork is so excellent, surely a person with a degree could get a job that is relevant to those skills? Doesn't seem to be the case. You don't hear people from other backwater counties (such as myself) complaining how our counties are so much better despite moving to Dublin for work. Happy Christmas, I'm sure it's better in Cark like.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

grenache wrote: »
    Because half of them never leave the place and the rest are jealous of the clean green countryside that many "culchies" inhabit. ;)

I've never experienced that. I'm from Tipp. Lived in Dublin for 6 years, and Cork for the last 8 months. It really shocked me as to how many Cork people have absolutely no desire to travel outside Cork. When I questioned one girl I work with who out of the blue started complaining about Dublin, I asked her if she had ever been, and her answer was 'Shure why would I go there? The people there are pure ignorant like..'

Never in all my years in Dublin did I encounter such a weird attitude to traveling outside their own county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Dan Dare wrote: »

Dancing Dave is our main man in Cork..

Dan Dare wrote: »

You are so wrong and you know it
    1) Stick it up your b****cks
    Roy Keane isn't a man to mince his words as Darren Fletcher, Liam Miller and Co discovered a few years back when the Irish snarler was still at Manchester United. But Roy didn't save his vitriolic outbursts just for club football, and is alleged to have launched a foul-mouthed attack on Ireland boss Mick McCarthy at the 2002 World Cup. “You were a crap player, you are a crap manager. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are manager of my country and you’re not even Irish, you English ****. You can stick it up your b****cks.” Say what you like about him, but that is world class swearing.

8) Bestie on Beckham
    George Best didn't think too much of former pants salesman David Beckham. “He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he’s alright.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/football-banter/Barry-Ferguson-Roy-Keane-George-Best-and-the-Top-10-footballing-insults-article296357.html

The Mirror rates Keane higher on many levels including insults -and besides Best isnt from Dublin.

• Advertisement

Well .. we all know that Galway did beat Dublin's ass to be the better place.

Nothing else to add, just wanted to point that out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement