Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My friend just called me a traitor

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Madam wrote: »
    Btw is the term 'west brit' just peculiar(don't go there folks) to Dubs?
    Nope, it can be applicable to anybody, the origins refer back to the 1801 Act of Union when Ireland was officially renamed 'West Britain'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

donfers wrote: »
    coz due to a slip of the tongue I said "Boxing day" instead of St Stephens day when referring to the football fixtures

jesus, is it that bad? I am constantly being picked up on this by the pedants and sham nationalists out there...I wouldn't mind but I'd say there's not a holy joe among them

surely we have better things to whine about at xmas time, like the weather or the crappy presents we get or even the xmas day movies

but surely saying "boxing day" is not a treasonous offense and I should not have my Irishness called into question just for being an absent-minded gombeen, indeed is it not my absent-minded gombeenness that makes me Irish? chew on that ye pedant patriots!
    I suppose they're big fans of 'Leauge of Ireland' football and dont support any English teams? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

OP, ask your friend to converse in Irish from now on. He is obviously a staunch republican. The use of the english language must really upset him. I assume he is a fluent irish speaker considering his stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

Grab yer torches and pitchforks gentlemen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

dabestman1 wrote: »
    its st.stephens day and it has always been. West brits use boxing day
    dabestman1 wrote: »
    All i am saying is that if you look at any irish calendar, u will see it called st stephens day. By the way u've answered the question.

Which question would this be now? The one where I asked if I'm a West Brit?

I say this is the nicest way possible, get over yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

[insert facepalm pic here]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

coz due to a slip of the tongue I said "Boxing day" instead of St Stephens day when referring to the football fixtures

Should have posted this on www.boards.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Stephens's day pronounced (stephens-is)

that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Growing up in Tallaght surrounded by IRA wannabe knackers was hard because I had an English father. Among the many ****ing stupid questions I was asked was "are you proud of what the English did to the Irish?" and "how can you even look at your father". You wanna know what the funny thing is? None of them spoke Irish, in fact looked down on those that did as swots:rolleyes: People that think the only way to "be Irish" is by hating the UK are ****ing pathetic and actually insulting to the Irish culture, the Irish culture is so much more than an 800 year old argument. So yeah start talking to your friend in Irish and if he can't answer call him a ignorant traiter.

Nollaig Shona Duit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

nonono, if at all, it has to be 'Lá an Dreoilín' (take it from a German ex-protestant who couldn't care less what you call this day - to me, it's 'second Christmas day' ;-p)

I was taught this little verse to go with it...(have yet to see wren boys, tho - and had to look up 'wren' as well, since I first heard 'rent boys'...now that would have been an-suimiúil)

Dreoilín, dreoilín, Rí na nÉan,
    Lá le Stiofán a rugadh an tÉan.
    Is mór mo mhuintir ach is beag mé féin,
    tabhair dom pingin ar son Mhac Dé.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Leaving Dublin Stephensssses day
    Arriving London Boxing day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

baalthor wrote: »
    Every person that I've met from the Catholic/Nationalist community in the North has called it Boxing Day.

Well, in fairness to them, the poor souls have had 90 years of British colonialism more than the rest of us. It takes a strong spirit to hold out generation after generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Nope, it can be applicable to anybody, the origins refer back to the 1801 Act of Union when Ireland was officially renamed 'West Britain'.

I was under the impression the origin of 'West Brit' was from a Daniel O'Connell speech in 1832:

"The people of Ireland are ready to become a portion of the Empire, provided they be made so in reality and not in name alone; they are ready to become a kind of West Briton if made so in benefits and justice; but if not, we are Irishmen again."

PS: And, as far as I recall, the Waterford journalist D.P. Moran popularised the term "West Briton" and "Seoinín" in the late 19th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You were talking about the English football fixtures on the 26th December and they are called the Boxing Day fixtures, so you are right to call them that. It is the same as talking about Thanksgiving fixtures in American football, we don't call them the {Insert Date Here} Fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I take it you're from the country? In that case, using any technology more modern then the abacus is tantamount to traitory. Be glad you were't hanged for you vile words. In other news, your friend is a narrow-minded bigot with a brain the size of a hydrogen atom. Give him a shake, you'll hear it rattle. Oh, and St. Stephen wasn't Irish. In fact he never existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

coz due to a slip of the tongue I said "Boxing day" instead of St Stephens day when referring to the english football fixtures

jesus, is it that bad? I am constantly being picked up on this by the pedants and sham nationalists out there...I wouldn't mind but I'd say there's not a holy joe among them

surely we have better things to whine about at xmas time, like the weather or the crappy presents we get or even the xmas day movies

but surely saying "boxing day" is not a treasonous offense and I should not have my Irishness called into question just for being an absent-minded gombeen, indeed is it not my absent-minded gombeenness that makes me Irish? chew on that ye pedant patriots!

Fixed that for you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dionysus wrote: »
    To be different to those dastardly Europeans? Is there any other country in Europe which does not call the day following Christmas Day the vernacular equivalent of 'St Stephen's Day'?

I've only ever heard the name in Ireland. In Holland it was "Second christmas day" and in France it's just 'back to work after Christmas day' or "the 26th of December".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I was always dissappointed that there never seemed to be any real boxing on boxing day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Ask your friend a few questions:

"Who was St. Stephen?"
    "What is he famous for?"
    "Why is the 26th his day?"

If he can't answer all of the above, grab the nearest box and shove it up his pseudo-nationalistic, hypocrytical backside on the 26th. Boxing day indeed.

Mind you, while I wouldn't call you a traitor, he does have a point......it is St. Stephens day. Take 100 lines.......

Advertisement