Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My friend just called me a traitor

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

In all honesty It's lie on day while the kids play with their pressies before you get dragged out of bed to visit every1 that you don't like! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

dlofnep wrote: »
    Why would an Irish person refer to it as Boxing Day when for their entire life, it has always been referred to as Stephen's Day. It makes no sense. People who call it Boxing day, who have not lived in Britain are consciously trying to stand out like a sore thumb.

That's about the extent of it.

But if someone watches Sky Sports and the like and that's what constantly being said, well then they will pick it up.

Same as how youngsters are now saying 'Mom' and 'awwwesome' due to American TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I prefer to call it the 26th or the day after christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

its st.stephens day and it has always been. West brits use boxing day

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Larianne wrote: »
    But if someone watches Sky Sports and the like and that's what constantly being said, well then they will pick it up.

Same as how youngsters are now saying 'Mom' and 'awwwesome' due to American TV shows.

Its mammy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

To me it's 'Hangover day', but as I live in the UK it's Boxing day and if I'm home(along with the accent coming on once I reach the border)it's St. Stephens day!

Traitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

For me its st stephens day, always was always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

dabestman1 wrote: »

I'm originally from Monaghan, currently residing in Cavan, and I use Boxing Day/St Stephens Day interchangably.

Am I a west Brit? :confused:

Honestly, if one of my friends pulled me on it, I'd tell them to phuck right off. I've lived in the Republic all my life, I went to school in the north, I have northern friends, I have friends from the Republic, we're constantly bombarded with English media (who call it Boxing Day. A lot.)

How many people call Halloween its proper term? All Hallows Eve. What about the 1st November? All Saints Day.

If that's what gets their knickers all tied up, then let them at it. I've more to be worried about.

Edit: I can see this turning into another slanging match, with MUSSOLINI and dlofnep involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Every person that I've met from the Catholic/Nationalist community in the North has called it Boxing Day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

baalthor wrote: »
    Every person that I've met from the Catholic/Nationalist community in the North has called it Boxing Day.
    We call it boxing day in Donegal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

I'm originally from Monaghan, currently residing in Cavan, and I use Boxing Day/St Stephens Day interchangably.

Am I a west Brit? :confused:

Honestly, if one of my friends pulled me on it, I'd tell them to phuck right off. I've lived in the Republic all my life, I went to school in the north, I have northern friends, I have friends from the Republic, we're constantly bombarded with English media (who call it Boxing Day. A lot.)

How many people call Halloween its proper term? All Hallows Eve. What about the 1st November? All Saints Day.

If that's what gets their knickers all tied up, then let them at it. I've more to be worried about.
    All i am saying is that if you look at any irish calendar, u will see it called st stephens day. By the way u've answered the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

baalthor wrote: »
    We call it boxing day in Donegal too.

Ulster says NO to Stephens Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

People in the Bogside call it Boxing Day, go to the Bogside Inn and call somebody a traitor and see why they call it Boxing Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It might be a good idea to use "Boxing Day" when talking to Muslims, Jews, etc.

I'm sure they must be offended by the use of "St Stephen's Day" as it celebrates blasphemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I call it that day you all go down to the pub and get sloshed because you couldn't on Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The Ops friend isn't one of these guys who runs around calling people he disagrees with "blueshirts" by any chance?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

My dad(a prod)called it St Stephens day, he was a mummer so I'm wondering why this day was chosen for 'mumming', or is that just particular to Ulster(Republic part and Six counties)?

Btw is the term 'west brit' just peculiar(don't go there folks) to Dubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Wrenboys Day anyone?

I call it that day you all go down to the pub and get sloshed because you couldn't on Christmas.

Hey a person after my own heart:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Your new British and German financial overlords are pressing for the permanent adoption of 'Boxing Day' or 'Stefanitag'...get used to it lads....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

most so called 'nationalists' cant even string two words of irish
    = the national language together ,

( except may be 'Tiocfaidh ár lá ' on a good day )

they prefer to speak english, the language of the 'enemy'

so I would tell yer friend to GFHS , and find a new one.

we'll all be speaking germanian soon anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

dabestman1 wrote: »
    One of my most basic metrics for determining when someone's opinion is not worthy of consideration is if they're physically capable of using the term "West Brit" in an entirely serious manner.

FFS, what century are you stuck in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Madam wrote: »
    My dad(a prod)called it St Stephens day, he was a mummer so I'm wondering why this day was chosen for 'mumming', or is that just particular to Ulster(Republic part and Six counties)?

Btw is the term 'west brit' just peculiar(don't go there folks) to Dubs?
    It is peculiar to people who proudly adorn their cars with 26+6=1 tricolour bumper stickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you not heard? Every holiday is to be named Ajai Chopra Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dohcturbo

Em, more drinking day :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Good King Wenceslas looked out on the feast of boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 20 de Lehman Bruddars

I call it Boxing day because I love pissing-off the belligerent Gaelgories and Ra-heads with their contrived pseudo-culture and dead language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

What is Boxing Day?

Boxing Day is a day the higher classes gave gifts to the lower classes. Before or on December 25th people of similar class would exchange gifts to celebrate the Christmas season. Gifts were not exchanged with the lower class until the next day called Boxing Day. It is also known as St. Stephen’s Day.
    Why is the holiday named Boxing Day?

The holiday is named Boxing Day because the tradition of giving gifts of cash, food, clothing and other goods to the less fortunate were placed into boxes for easier transportation. The goods were distributed based on the family needs and their services to the giver

Read more at Suite101: Origin Of Boxing Day: History and Meaning of Boxing Day http://www.suite101.com/content/origin-of-boxing-day-a10068#ixzz18xiXz1LZ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Boxing day rolls off the tongue. It has less syllables than St. Stephens Day.

Sky Sports has Boxing day, that's what I'm going with.

Advertisement