Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My friend just called me a traitor

Options
  • 23-12-2010 6:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

coz due to a slip of the tongue I said "Boxing day" instead of St Stephens day when referring to the football fixtures

jesus, is it that bad? I am constantly being picked up on this by the pedants and sham nationalists out there...I wouldn't mind but I'd say there's not a holy joe among them

surely we have better things to whine about at xmas time, like the weather or the crappy presents we get or even the xmas day movies

but surely saying "boxing day" is not a treasonous offense and I should not have my Irishness called into question just for being an absent-minded gombeen, indeed is it not my absent-minded gombeenness that makes me Irish? chew on that ye pedant patriots!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

donfers wrote: »
    coz due to a slip of the tongue I said "Boxing day" instead of St Stephens day when referring to the football fixtures

jesus, is it that bad? I am constantly being picked up on this by the pedants and sham nationalists out there...I wouldn't mind but I'd say there's not a holy joe among them

surely we have better things to whine about at xmas time, like the weather or the crappy presents we get or even the xmas day movies

but surely saying "boxing day" is not a treasonous offense and I should not have my Irishness called into question just for being an absent-minded gombeen, indeed is it not my absent-minded gombeenness that makes me Irish? chew on that ye pedant patriots!

Traitor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Just call it 'Christmas, day 2' and everyones happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm not a massive nationalist or anti Brit in any way, but I'd prefer if people didn't call it boxing day. Mainly because it's an absolutely shíte name for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Bet you were one of the Black and Tans

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Coz? Xmas?

Do you ever stop?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

he needs to get a life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Are you sure he didn't make a slip of the tongue and mean to call you a tractor?

By the way, I'd find it very hard to accept that "Boxing Day" is a slip of the tongue...Freudian slip perhaps...but not slip of the tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭cson

You should be burned at the stake Prod.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I'm not a massive nationalist or anti Brit in any way, but I'd prefer if people didn't call it boxing day. Mainly because it's an absolutely shíte name for a day.

But stephen's day is better?

**** STEPHEN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

People who call it boxing day are consciously trying to be different. This is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I call it boxing day to annoy these types.
    Funnily enough they always know who's playing in the premiership on boxi...sorry, St Stephen's day.

I don't think St. Stephen was even Irish, just call it Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I didn't know there was any GAA on St Stephen's Day.

Are you perhaps a foreign-game-loving traitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Such a stupid thing to get annoyed about. Call it whatever the fcuk you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's soccer you traitor*

*if you mean the Brit game ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

To make up for this OP you and your friend need to head out to your neighbors to sign a song

"The wren, the wren, the king of all birds,
    St. Stephen's Day was caught in the furze,"

And so on

People still do this though not so much anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I could look it up, but I'm sure lots of you know the answer to this: Why do they call it boxing day anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

By the way it's Christmas not xmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

TheZohan wrote: »
    Are you sure he didn't make a slip of the tongue and mean to call you a tractor?

By the way, I'd find it very hard to accept that "Boxing Day" is a slip of the tongue...Freudian slip perhaps...but not slip of the tongue.

context is key, we irish love our English football and in almost every media, be it radio, tv or newspaper they are referred to as the "boxing day fixtures" so I just blurted that out without giving it a second thought, surely not a beheading offense....anyway as they refer to something taking place in England then I think it's fair game to use the term they use rather than imposing ours on them....If I called David Cameron the prime minister instead of the taoiseach of UK you wouldn't be getting on my back would youz?

incidentally I don't like when BBC and other british media call Cowen the Prime Minister, but I tend to forgive as I suspect it's more down to the fact they can't pronounce the word rather than them trying to impose some kind of post-colonial linguistic hegemony upon us poor celtic souls

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why DO Irish people get so pissy about someone saying Boxing Day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kowloon wrote: »
    I could look it up, but I'm sure lots of you know the answer to this: Why do they call it boxing day anyway?

Generous people would give presents and food to the local priest/vicar,etc or committee and they'd be given out the poor in the area in boxes.

Bit like the Lyons clubs these days

Boxing day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

kowloon wrote: »

To be different to those dastardly Europeans? Is there any other country in Europe which does not call the day following Christmas Day the vernacular equivalent of 'St Stephen's Day'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

we irish love our English football

Well, that's just excluded the vast majority of Irish people from your definition of 'Irish'.

Why DO Irish people get so pissy about someone saying Boxing Day?

Why would an Irish person refer to it as Boxing Day when for their entire life, it has always been referred to as Stephen's Day. It makes no sense. People who call it Boxing day, who have not lived in Britain are consciously trying to stand out like a sore thumb.

That's about the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

No offense meant to you mate, but your sounds like a knob. I worked in the UK when I was younger for 6 years and picked up certain words or sayings. If people try put me up on it I sort it out very quickly especially if that was said to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dlofnep wrote: »
    People who call it boxing day are consciously trying to be different. This is Ireland.

I prefer to call it 'Judo Day'... But thats just me :p

I prefer to call it 'Judo Day'... But thats just me :p

Me too, but let's keep that our little secret ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Filthy foreign bastard , playing them foreign games and talking about Boxing day, its far from the GAA that you were raised now boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

cson wrote: »
    You should be burned at the stake Prod.

Was Sean O'Casey a Prod? easy tiger some of us are Protestant and Irish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It will always be St. Stephenses Day to me!

Advertisement