Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timed in the Loo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Urg - If companies treat people like childish morons, then people will act like childish morons. If people are taking the p*ss when it comes to smoke/toilet breaks, then discipline them. Don't punish the whole company for one person's immaturity, and inability to be responsible and sensible.

We are asked to keep smoke breaks to one in the morning, and in the afternoon (obviously lunch doesn't count), which we work back, and then we code roughly 15-30 minutes a day to "admin" tasks which includes getting coffee, toilet, computer starting up, etc.
    It's not monitored very closely, and yet I can't think of even one person who takes the p*ss.

And if someone were taking the p*ss, I believe that person should be disciplined, and not draconian rules introduced for those of us that aren't morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Id be mighty pissed off with that! go to your manager/supervisor's desk when they're not there and you have the runs, then shit all over it and say I wanted to ask permission to go to the toilet when they come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Jayus, the fella who works with me nips out for a ****..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Yep, when I worked in a call centre, we had 10 minutes a day of 'not ready' time. Some of this would need to be used to note things down or process things between calls, leaving about 5 minutes a day for all the toilet breaks. It's completely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Name and shame companies ,would seriously factor this kinda stuff into purchase decisions !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

godscop wrote: »
    Typical pubic sector ;)

Or is it the privates sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I did a stint in a call centre a few years ago as a temp with an agency. The toilets were not in the same area as the floor; i.e. we needed a swipe card to go out to where the toilets were. I wasn't given one as I was a temp, so I had to borrow my neighbour's one to get out.

I didn't stay working there long enough to witness any of the other bullsh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Was reading the thread about the hungover/drunk guy in work and it was suggested that he take a few 5/10 min toilet breaks during the day to clear his head.

In my job i have 12 minutes a day allocated to me for using the facilities, getting water etc.

Does anyone else have these restrictions on them??

Take a dump, wipe your arse, wash your hand and leave. 3 minutes max once a day.

Slash breaks 60 seconds. Tops.

I dont see the problem here.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Take a dump, wipe your arse, wash your hand and leave. 3 minutes max once a day.

I think you may be cutting corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Iwannahurl wrote: »

What if you're constipated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Iwannahurl wrote: »

Do ya think? I'd say he's running the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

orourkeda wrote: »

Is your name "Peestink Mc'brownfingers"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Bad form if that's stated somewhere.
    It should only be brought up on individual cases where the person is taking the piss...

I used to work in a place that had energy saving lighting in the jacks - they'd switch off after 5 mins if no movement in the toilet entrance area. If no one came in, it could be lights out if you were on the pot for too long!! Happened once and I had to chuck a spare toilet roll over the cubicle door and near the sensor to get light again!

I worked in a small office with these also but my desk had lots of plants near it so the sensor didn't pick me up unless I stood up and waved my arms at it. Always thought I probably looked a bit mental to any one looking in at me and didn't know what i was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭NTC

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I used to work in a place that had energy saving lighting in the jacks - they'd switch off after 5 mins if no movement in the toilet entrance area. If no one came in, it could be lights out if you were on the pot for too long!!

We have that in my office. They time out after 7 minutes. I use the cubicle nearest the sensor ;)

bmarley wrote: »
    What if you're constipated?

That would involve crimping off a short length, followed by a cursory wash of the hand (pace orourkeda).

To satisfy HSA/OCD types, you could alternate the hand that's washed on each occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Name and shame the company IMO

That's just asking him to be a stool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Every time I look at this thread I have the Countdown music going on in my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

I believe people should have a bar wherever they work and be entitled to use it up 4 hours within work hours.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

There are companies that'd install a trough under your desk if they though they'd get away with it.

I don't take **** from my employers in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ghetto Cornetto

I work in a call centre and yeah, they're pretty much nazis when it comes to things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Holy jaysus, what a load of crap (no pun intended)

I was doing work experience with a German software company and the only restriction was lunch, 1hr 10min max.

During the day there was absolutily no restriction on smoking/tea/coffee/toilet breaks. We were actually encouraged to 'go for a walk' every hour or so as we were static at our desk the rest of the day.

If I could hack the 9-to-5 i'd be back there in a heartbeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

KeithM89 wrote: »
    8 letters - 'Berating'
    :)
    But can you take a dump while solving it... ;)

But can you take a dump while solving it... ;)

I shit you not, i was actually on the bog when i got that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I shit you not, i was actually on the bog when i got that...

Thanks for sharing.

This is a ridiculous idea. What about people with IBS and kidney problems in general. you can't do this to people. I would never stick to a rule like that.

Thanks for sharing.
    Anytime!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

due to trauma from past homo advances n self induced paranoia from years of installing spycams i only expose my anus to a 'prone' position for .. maybe 1 minute a week. get in/get out/don't mess about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

If you have a bladder or bowel problem and your sitting there holding it in because you don't want the boss to be angry with you then that is a scandal.

Any company that treats their staff like that doesn't deserve any effort over and above the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

sollar wrote: »
    If you have a bladder or bowel problem and your sitting there holding it in because you don't want the boss to be angry with you then that is a scandal.

Any company that treats their staff like that doesn't deserve any effort over and above the min.
    I'm sure if they had medical condition it would be a different matter. I can understand it from the companys perspective. People should not be paid for taking a sh1t for a half hour!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Name and shame the company IMO

Its An Irish Business thats been in the news lately, don't wanna say what it is, but i'm part of the lowest level in the company and as such we're walked on by management, abused by customers and thought of as W*nkers by elements of the public/media because they can't seperate the decision makers from the proles.

Advertisement