Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland customers, your turn to bail the bank out!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

You will be screwed 28c every time you use the drink link.

Fcukin hell! Looks like I'll be moving to another bank so. Whats Ulster bank like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

BOI are bastards they just spent a ton on doing up all the canteens and corridors in all offices.

Good to see the taxpayers money is being used well by BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Pj! wrote: »
    Time to look for an alternative so.

Simple
    Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

A mass exodus of their valued customers might put manners on them vultures :mad: as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

TOMORROW:

Me: Close my account.
    Teller: Why?
    Me: Close my account. If you ask me again I'll put my hand through that plexi glass window and pull you over the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

bit of fearmongering here... majority of users will probably not be charged. Those are fairly reasonable requirements for users and anyone really using their account so little that they would qualify for the charges is not going to feel much from the transaction charges anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

jd007 wrote: »
    Fcukin hell! Looks like I'll be moving to another bank so. Whats Ulster bank like?
    Amazing actually. Switched from AIB myself earlier this year. Still have my business account with BoI but so impressed with UB that I may switch that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

An early Christmas present from BOI to all its customers :rolleyes:
    Vote with your feet and send a message to the recently bailed out bunch of greedy bastards, close your account, just dont move it to AIB as they will overcharge you on the sly. To be honest I would not even like to recommend a good bank, I think its a contradiction in terms !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I'd also be one of those who suspects this is an effort by BOI to shed 'undesirable' customers. You v oting with your feet might be exactly what they want you to do. Now I'd be the first to admit I know practically nothing about finance but I presume if they only had customers who agree to keep at least a min of 3k in their currents then this could strongly in their favour in terms how they play with their fractional reserve lending etc.

/rabble rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

bonerm wrote: »
    I'd also be one of those who suspects this is an effort by BOI to shed 'undesirable' customers. You v oting with your feet might be exactly what they want you to do. Now I'd be the first to admit I know practically nothing about finance but I presume if they only had customers who agree to keep at least a min of 3k in their currents then this could strongly in their favour in terms how they play with their fractional reserve lending etc.

/rabble rabble

What about if you have sufficient funds in a deposit account and also have a current account but only have a small amount in that, surely you are still a "desirable" customer for the bank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

re the welfare thing.

why would the bank want low income people on welfare as customers anyway? They are inherently more risky than people with higher incomes.

Smart move, easy way to filter out riskier low income people or charge them for the risk they pose

Season of goodwill to all men.

Screw you Tiny Tim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭baldbear

ALL the other banks are going to follow. RIP free banking!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

nah ive had enough of this crap, thats it for me, boi are cnuts, tsb or ulster bank for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I've banked with them since I got my first kids account when I was 6, but this has annoyed me enough to consider leaving. There's something really irritating about being charged to access funds in your own current account. I know you can say that a bank is a business and should charge for its services, and by all means charge me if I want to do do something more advanced, foreign exchange for e.g., but simply accessing your current account with your atm card in Ireland seems like something so basic it should be free. A bit like how we're accustomed to expecting water to be free. (I know - terrible example at the moment, but you get the idea)

There have been times when I've been away where I wouldn't have made the requisite number of transactions automatically and frankly I don't have the organisational ability to remeber, or hate myself enough to resolve in the first place, to sit down and swap single euros between accounts every quarter forever.

On the other hand, I heard the point made earlier that banks don't go out on a limb on their own for long. Others will watch and, if it works, follow. So if I moved to Ulster Bank for e.g., would I save longterm?

The most striking aspect of all of this for me though is the disastrous PR. This happens at a time when bank bailouts are the number one source of public anger? I really couldn't believe my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

jd007 wrote: »

Im with Ulster since I left school, and thats a good while ago, no intention of moving unless they also shoot themselves in the foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Big Steve wrote: »
    TOMORROW:

Me: Close my account. If you ask me again I'll put my hand through that plexi glass window and pull you over the counter.

Good idea directing your rage at the teller, they call all the shots
    Don't forget to tell them that your taxes pay their wages

red menace wrote: »
    Good idea directing your rage at the teller, they call all the shots
    Don't forget to tell them that your taxes pay their wages
    They are called tellers for a reason, you tell them everything. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

LOL good point, just making the point that there's no point giving the people at the bottom of the food chain grief

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This is another form of tax on the unemployed, the disabled and those on minimum state pensions.

Anyone on the above benefits who have a BOI account would max just 194 a week or €784 in lodgement per month leaving them well below the threshold.

or you could withdraw it and lodge it again, that 1500+ a month, job done. ;)

They would probably have something in their small print against this practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

It's insulting and demeaning that my bank would require me to do that, when better off people don't have to fart around with stupid little lodgements to escape transaction fees. I'm leaving BOI. Cancelled my direct debits yesterday and will return to paying bills in cash.....also phoned customer complaints (rather than laying it on my local bank teller!) and gave them an earful.

BOI won't miss my account, which regularly hovers around 500 (lone parent of 2 kids, yes, one of THOSE!), but they will miss my father and brother who are also leaving on principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Shouldn't they be called listeners by that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I pay €10 every month for my bank account here in Germany!
    I pay stern enough charges for my banking in the Czech Republic also. I understand its commonplace on the continent.

Besides, as someone else pointed out the criteria shouldn't be that stringent to meet for anyone in full time employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I will have no troubles with this set up. I have plenty in my bank account.

Hi Charles :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Aidric wrote: »
    I pay stern enough charges for my banking in the Czech Republic also. I understand its commonplace on the continent.

Besides, as someone else pointed out the criteria shouldn't be that stringent to meet for anyone in full time employment.

Well, that's exactly the point, isn't it? You are obviously a better class of citizen than myself and more worthy of free banking than those less well off than yourself. What's next? We, the unemployed, should have to wear yellow stars?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Family was with BOI, worked out their charges were costing me +€40 per month alone with everything. Moved to PTSB and saved meself a shedload.

I told them we were switching and why and offered them the option of stopping the charges and keeping the business (4 accounts in total) and got a blank expression. No protestation, nothing, so we moved.

Will NOT be happy if PTSB start charging now tho. That happens one backup plan is to move to the Credit Union and use cash wherever possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Obliq wrote: »
    Well, that's exactly the point, isn't it? You are obviously a better class of citizen than myself and more worthy of free banking than those less well off than yourself. What's next? We, the unemployed, should have to wear yellow stars?

An amband with "¢" on it will be sufficent.

What's next? We, the unemployed, should have to wear yellow stars?

sure, why not. The state can then transport you to special "work camps" where you can do some labouring to earn the dole payments. Just don't fall for the old "free shower" trick when you get there.

red menace wrote: »
    LOL good point, just making the point that there's no point giving the people at the bottom of the food chain grief

Queue outrage at sudden revelation next week that BOI staff will get free banking as a perk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

You are obviously a better class of citizen than myself
    Yes.

Advertisement