Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland customers, your turn to bail the bank out!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I pay €10 every month for my bank account here in Germany!

Postbank have free banking, but there are some conditions to it like BOI. And some of the online banks are free as well but I can't remember which ones right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

"Derek Jewell described the fees as another kick in the teeth for customers of the bailed out bank. "

What has Dermot Jewell ever done for consumers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Right so. I'm going to say I'm a student for as long as possible.

Why yes sir, I am currently attending the University of Life. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

practice wrote: »
    "Derek Jewell described the fees as another kick in the teeth for customers of the bailed out bank. "

What has Dermot Jewell ever done for consumers

Hired his brother to make statements to them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

First they pay some exec prick €500,000 in bonuses and then they do this. Utter, utter cunts. Glad I opened that Rabo account 2 weeks ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

AIB are paying an interest rate of 1 per cent on a "HIGH INTEREST CURRENT ACCOUNT" wonder what their low interest rate is?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

yes, why not. none of the other banks are any better. I've changed banks 5 times and BOI are the only ones I've been even vaguely happy with

you didnt look hard/ shop around did you?

ulsterbank dont have rediculos charges like this
    have a better online service
    are open on saturdays
    and have debit visa with your current ac, saving you having to keep separate credit card
    and customer support are nice
    oh and none of this atm breaking down business

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have already switched away from them, in your FACE BoI!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    you didnt look hard/ shop around did you?

ulsterbank dont have rediculos charges like this
    have a better online service
    are open on saturdays
    and have debit visa with your current ac, saving you having to keep separate credit card
    and customer support are nice
    oh and none of this atm breaking down business

was with them
    wouldn't give me a laser card at the time, no usefully located branches.
    I don't pay current account fees with BOI anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Let me get this straight, if I'm rich and have extra cash in the bank say 3000 euro, I dont pay charges even though I can afford them but if I dont have extra cash in the bank and cant afford them , I have to pay charges.

think its time to transfer to el banco del under the mattress

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

was with them
    wouldn't give me a laser card at the time, no usefully located branches.
    I don't pay current account fees with BOI anyway.

Then you are putting your money at risk bad enough they are teetering on verge of collapse along with AIB

having to keep at least 3K in a current account earning no interest is a waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

jester77 wrote: »
    Postbank have free banking, but there are some conditions to it like BOI. And some of the online banks are free as well but I can't remember which ones right now.
    its a pity they dont exist!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

adamski8 wrote: »
    its a pity they dont exist!!!

Looks like it to me boss...

http://www.postbank.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

I will have no troubles with this set up. I have plenty in my bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

re the welfare thing.

why would the bank want low income people on welfare as customers anyway? They are inherently more risky than people with higher incomes.

Smart move, easy way to filter out riskier low income people or charge them for the risk they pose

What, so people that find themselves on the dole in the last couple of years don't deserve to be a customer of the bank?
    What about those who have a dole payment payed to a BoI account (it still happens)?

What of those people on welfare that need to pay whatever bills by DD or wish to try and save a little something?
    BoI had a previous stipulation of needing €500 min in the acc and 3 transcactions a quarter...that was a somewhat reasonable middle ground.

As for people on welfare being a bigger risk...lol how so? Sure with their likely credit ratings and current employment prospects they won't be getting loans, car finance or mortgages, so I fail to see where the risk is...the only risk is them taking 500 quid from an empty acc due to incompetence.

Oh and of course high earners aren't any risk whatsoever...as has been proved by the need for NAMA...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

They can fuck off. The nerve of them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

this is clearly just a way to get people using online services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

prinz wrote: »
    Looks like it to me boss...

http://www.postbank.com/
    surely he meant the irish postbank no?
    can you join the german one for banking??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

could you just put smaller amounts into the account more often,or maybe grow a brain and switch banks but maybe thats too much fuss for ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

It's a stupid move by BOI guaranteed to lose them some customers and effect many on social welfare like myself. I've had my main account with them since the 1980s and have worked most my adult life.

But if you wish to stay with BOI the following is from their pdf on their website.

"Over the course of a fee quarter, lodge at least €3,000 to your Personal Current Account AND make 9 debit payments from that account using Banking 365 Phone and/or Online.
    (This is the equivalent of €1,000 net salary lodgement per month and 3 payments made per month)"

Or

Maintain a minimum credit balance of €3,000 in your Personal Current Account
    throughout the full fee quarter

This is what I will attempt to do between now and the 21st feb 2011. Still I may have to consider other options...nice one BOI:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Well I'll be moving anyway. Making the payments wouldn't be much hassle but they can fook off if they think I'm keeping my balance above three grand at all times.

Edit: Just realised the balance above 3K is an alternative option. Still, several friends have recommended Ulster Bank and this move has annoyed me so I'll switch to them after looking into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

again it's a loyalty tax. You stick with a bank or indeed any other business (VHI, Quinn, etc) and they screw you for staying with them

"Oh we've lost customers" ... "I know, lets rip off the ones we have left"

This sort of behavior is just a punishment to everyone else sticking with BOI and is not going to help them retain customers or infact bring over some new ones! and isn't that the problem? No incentive for anyone to stay!

Which would you rather BOI, almost 100% of people on the old charge or 80 - 90% of people on the new charge? People will switch over this, as has been said by others here that they will switch!

...and so the vicious circle continues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is another form of tax on the unemployed, the disabled and those on minimum state pensions.

Anyone on the above benefits who have a BOI account would max just 194 a week or €784 in lodgement per month leaving them well below the threshold.

It is time for any of the above to quit this bank and either move elsewhere or keep their cash in a buscuit tin..

It will encourage the elderly to avoid banks altogether and keep cash around the house which will enevitably lead into more assaults and brake ins.

Shame on these bastards that we have already bailed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

I moved to ulster bank. great move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Irish banks are way better fees wise than the bank I am with in Canada. You are charged per transaction on your card. They have a number of packages but we opted to get an infinity account which gave us unlimited transactions for for a set monthly fee 25 dollars a month I believe but I need to double check that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

AntiMatter wrote: »
    They already use the financial alchemy of fractional reserve lending to turn people's deposits in to loans, to create more profits for themselves, and now they're going to charge people for the priviliege.
    To be honest, fractional reserve banking is what got Europe out of the dark ages to the economic superpower of the next 800 years or whatever. There's little point railing against it.

The incompetence/cheek of senior management at Irish banks knows no bounds however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

So what happens if you don't have 1k a month going into your account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

jd007 wrote: »
    So what happens if you don't have 1k a month going into your account?

You will be screwed 28c every time you use the drink link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Bi6N

I'll be moving to TSB, visa debit yes please.

I've had nothing but trouble with BOI and planned to switch a long time ago, its just getting a day off when banks are open :pac:
    BOI can lick the back of my ballbag, they aren't getting a cent out of me. They already make money out of thin air ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jcleere

Ladies and gentlemen!

Welcome to the corporate take over of our country!!! Really,

our armed services guard their money,

our parliament discussions are dominated with their issues,

they have ALL AND MORE of our states money,

they are unanswerable even to our government,

Our media is swamped with their message

Dermot Ahern is worried about us using too much cash (our currency) wants us to move to cards (their currency), because of the risk to THEIR security.

Their debt takes, our jobs and then our houses, then they reposes our houses!

Our government made us buy pensions from them, now they're gone woops!

After all this, they are businesses, at the core they use our savings, lend to other customers and make a tidy profit. A very successful business model which makes them billions each year, now they want us to pay for the privilege.

I have way more than 3000 in my account, its all coming out tomorrow!

I suggest you all do the same, even if its just a statement we don't deserve to be treated like this!

Advertisement