Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless animals in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

crally wrote: »
    Hi i have set up a facebook page Galway Horse Welfare. please take a look and also put up information if you see a horse that is not being fed or being mistreated. i have spoken to Sarah from East Galway Animal Rescue and she has said she will give as much help as she can. So please take a look and spread the word. The horses on headford road are being fed, the farmers in the area donated hay....so we can try to do something.

Crally, can you post the link to Facebook page (I can't get on Facebook in work and I will prob forget when at home)

Re the dogs, I think by law you have to phone the dog warden first before a rescue can take them in, Madra take dogs from the dog warden/pound as much as they can.

Re the gspca, sigh, don't start me off, i could rant about them for ages, not slagging them off now, just very frustrating to deal with for rehoming, taking in strays etc etc, I also have personal experience of Madra and they are great and very flexible with each individual rehoming/taking in strays

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Re the dogs, I think by law you have to phone the dog warden first before a rescue can take them in, Madra take dogs from the dog warden/pound as much as they can.

By Law you have to notify the Gardai or the Dog Warden that you have taken a stray.

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    What a charming scumbag he sounds

Even worse an 80 year old woman who does lots of charity work :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Can you knit?

2rnhdg6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Very cute.... :rolleyes: but problem is serious.

• Advertisement

freezingdog.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

-wake up your empathy and stop beeing "funny".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

softmee wrote: »
    freezingdog.jpg

Can I ask what exactly you're doing to solve the problem apart from having empathy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 glasto

This breaks my heart. I adopted a kitten from a shelter last month. I had to have a home check even though I have another cat. I didn't mind, but I can see how it puts people off. Currently Gizmo the kitten is sunk so deep in his cushion in front of the fire I can only see the tips of his ears, And Wilbur, who is more shy, is deep in the airing cupboard. I hate to think of any animal or person out on a night like that. I know small animals can freeze to death out there, and in Russia every spring thaw they find bodies. :mad:

I am doing what i can.
    I support rescues, call them when i see animals in need, i feed homeless animals if they are around, i write here about it and in result of that boards member contacted me ( crally -thanks again) and came to rescue dogs. We were trying to catch one (the other one was gone), but with no success (he was too frightened).

-and can i ask now, why i am beeing questioned?

glasto wrote: »
    This breaks my heart. I adopted a kitten from a shelter last month. I had to have a home check even though I have another cat. I didn't mind, but I can see how it puts people off. Currently Gizmo the kitten is sunk so deep in his cushion in front of the fire I can only see the tips of his ears, And Wilbur, who is more shy, is deep in the airing cupboard. I hate to think of any animal or person out on a night like that. I know small animals can freeze to death out there, and in Russia every spring thaw they find bodies. :mad:

I think their approach to the adoption is crazy. I understand they have to check who they are giving animal to, but people who are willing to take one shouldnt feel like they are suspected of treating them bad in the future. This is very discouraging and i am sure most of the people who even think of adopting one have a very good intentions.

• Advertisement

I am doing what i can.
    I support rescues, call them when i see animals in need, i feed homeless animals if they are around, i write here about it and in result of that boards member contacted me ( crally -thanks again) and came to rescue dogs. We were trying to catch one (the other one was gone), but with no success (he was too frightened).

-and can i ask now, why i am beeing questioned?

Good for you. We all can only do as much as we can. I was chatting to someone the other day about the weather and I mentionned putting stuff out for the birds. They asked me why I would do that 'sure my cats would only chase them'. I said my cats were too cozy indoors to want to bother.:rolleyes:

-and if you put some food close to your windows your cats can have some entertainment. :)

-and if you put some food close to your windows your cats can have some entertainment. :)

Ha! Exactly!:D

Very cute.... :rolleyes: but problem is serious.
    Well you're a barrel of laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 banSHE

just to reply to Discodog...... I really really hate your neighbour!!!!!!!!!! hope he is really cold tonight and that he cant get to the shops for something to eat..... Selfish b*****d

Actually I feel I am being too mild and nice . I hope the man who lives next door to discodog goes outside tonight and slips on his ignorant arse and I also hope that a few dogs walk by at the same time and have a good aul chuckle. remember everyone the best motto you can have in life is FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD (Believe me it really makes sense when you think about it)

banSHE wrote: »
    remember everyone the best motto you can have in life is FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD (Believe me it really makes sense when you think about it)
    I've thought about it and it doesn't, can you explain please?

FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD (Believe me it really makes sense when you think about it)

I wouldnt idealize animals world too much, they can be cruel and selfish too (often they are actually)- nature is cruel and ruthless (and not perfect as some people tend to think ), but difference is -we are humans and we can change some things if we want to.

Basically animals (four legs) are good and humans (two legs) can be nasty... As in discodogs evil neighbour. I say let the animals rule the country.............. they would make a lot better job of it than the muppets in Leinster House:D

Basically animals (four legs) are good and humans (two legs) can be nasty... As in discodogs evil neighbour. I say let the animals rule the country.............. they would make a lot better job of it than the muppets in Leinster House:D
    Ah, you're on the wind-up. Carry on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

freezingdog.jpg

QUOTE]

Softmee, did you take this photo and, if so, was this a dog in Galway? If you want a helping hand with the dog rescue side of things, please let me know by PM and I'll help in any way I can.

QUOTE]

Softmee, did you take this photo and, if so, was this a dog in Galway? If you want a helping hand with the dog rescue side of things, please let me know by PM and I'll help in any way I can.

Oh no, thanks god it wasnt, i just took it from some website trying to speak to some peoples imagination..it looks like some still think animals cant feel cold and hunger and its sooooooo funny to think about their freezing paws. :/
    Thanks for your offer anyway, i hope i wont see more this winter.
    There is a cat too somwhere around our house i am not sure if its homeless, i just left some cats food in case it is. He was miaowing (is that the word?) the whole morning.

.it looks like some people still think animals cant feel cold and hunger and its sooooooo funny to think about their freezing paws. :/

Where did anyone say that?

Edit: Sorry DB! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Dapto, you have incorrectly attributed the above comment to me: please fix your quote:D

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I think their approach to the adoption is crazy. I understand they have to check who they are giving animal to, but people who are willing to take one shouldnt feel like they are suspected of treating them bad in the future. This is very discouraging and i am sure most of the people who even think of adopting one have a very good intentions.
    the main reason for home-checks and allt he questions would be that the shelter does not want to see an already abandoned/neglected/abused animal ending up back in the shelter after all the effort of re-homing them the first time!

do you really think MADRA or EGAR actually want to keep these animals in shelters? they are absolutely packed to capacity this time of year especially with the local pounds closing down for their Christmas holidays meaning every dog in there will be PTS:(:mad:

all involved in these centres work very very hard and get very little in return and it's not fair to give them a bad rap.

Home-checks and the criteria for adopting is for your benefit as well as the shelters, if you're not serious or maybe don't realise the work that's involved when you take on a rescue animal, then they would rather wait for the right owner to come along.

all of these animals had an owner/ a home at some stage and they ended up abandoned...it takes more than that, on top of basic neccessities like food, water and a roof over their heads,they need exercise(proper walking and playtime), training, socializing, love, attention and cuddles!
    ok so I'm mainly talking about dogs here but it's the same principles for any animal really

of course, there are exceptions and I know GSPCA won't re-home to a family if there's children under 7 and stuff like that but the likes of MADRA and EGAR look at each application individually and will always work with you to find a suitable pet whereby both animal and owner will have a permanant happy home!

IMO if you are serious about adopting, you should be able to understand why they ask these questions and do home-checks and appreciate it instead of viewing it as a barrier:)

For anyone looking to adopt or even foster a pet, here's some contacts:

http://www.madra.ie/ contact tara or marina

http://www.egar.org/ contact sarah

http://www.galway-spca.com/home.htm

First of all -what makes you think you have to explain this all to me???
    I've heard it all several times and i do agree with some of your/their points, but i was talking through my own experience.
    I am experienced dog owner and i am aware of everything what makes a happy dog and my dog is a very happy one.

I wont change my opinion -there is something wrong with their policy and their approach and if it would be different and more flexible one dog would have a loving home now. This is very frustrating.

-and i was only talking about GSPCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

http://www.facebook.com/update_security_info.php?wizard=1#!/pages/Galway-Horse-Welfare/112768462129528

hi here is the horse welfare, galway bay have feed for the horses if people let us know where the horses are. a few of the ones on the headford road have been removed. a few near me are being fed and i am taking water to the poor things. I am embarrased to be Irish!!!

http://www.facebook.com/update_security_info.php?wizard=1#!/pages/Galway-Horse-Welfare/112768462129528

hi here is the horse welfare, galway bay have feed for the horses if people let us know where the horses are. a few of the ones on the headford road have been removed. a few near me are being fed and i am taking water to the poor things. I am embarrased to be Irish!!!

If any animal does not have access to water then you should be phoning the Guards.

Plenty of other countries treat animals like crap, unfortunately it isn't specifically an Irish thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

dapto1 wrote: »
    Plenty of other countries treat animals like crap, unfortunately it isn't specifically an Irish thing.
    Ah but as long as its for a good cause, apparently you're allowed to paint millions of people with a broad brush in casual conversation.

Dog control is in the hands of the local authorities, so talk to your local councillor if you want reform on that. Dog owners are required to have an identification tag on the collars. Short of legislative changes perhaps charities could talk to An Post or whoever hands out licences and ask them to hand out a leaflet about spaying at the same time, perhaps even offering the service themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement