Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the weather like in your area?

Options
  • 17-12-2010 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

we are ok at -1 now, milkman comes here at 3am and decided to leave dairy door open ... all water frozen in dairy- was not a happy camper :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

the bollix.
    Flakes of dust coming down here but nothing to shout about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thats what i said and more:D rang him later after i cooled down a bit.... he will close it in future, he doesnt even turn off the cooler or put the tank on washing , he's a lazy git

we dont milk but the neighbours do so dont have to worry thank god. trying to keep the trough from freezing over is what im at:D. Uncle in hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

-3 here in the kingdom. Heavy sleet turning the half inch of snow to slush. Cant get to town to get a few bags of ration as roads are ice rinks. Kids off school at 1 and may have to carry tractor to get them back. Handbrake turns in the silage yard when feeding. Just when exactly is this global warming craic supposed to start again:o

5live wrote: »
    -3 here in the kingdom. Heavy sleet turning the half inch of snow to slush. Cant get to town to get a few bags of ration as roads are ice rinks. Kids off school at 1 and may have to carry tractor to get them back. Handbrake turns in the silage yard when feeding. Just when exactly is this global warming craic supposed to start again:o

No, now ya see, this is 'climate change' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We had about 2 inches of snow last night and it was very windy so there's big accumulations in hollows and humps are fairly clear. Drove the 45 odd miles to work with ease as the main road was reasonably clear. Its started to snow here now so I'm thinking about going home again soon. The fact that i showed my face this morning has to count for a lot - the majority of my colleagues living only half the distance from their office compared to me did not show.

Dusty87 wrote: »
    No, now ya see, this is 'climate change' :rolleyes:
    Jesus it was just an off the cuff remark for a bit of humour on a cold day. I'm not starting a forum on climate change, global warming or any of that. No no no no no. Just tell us what its like in your area. Like this. Sleet stopped now and sun is out:D. Simples:)

It was only a joke;)

Oooops. Ya got me:D. My apologies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Tisnt too bad a day in West Cork. Sun is shining, blue skies, temp is maybe 2 or 3 degrees.

We had a hard frost last night, but roads were dry, so twas grand. We had a very light fall o snow this morning, but it didnt stay on the ground.

So we're not doing too bad so far - hopefully it'll stay like that... but the forecast says different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

lovely morning in N Clare but sky gone dark and bitterly cold now, after making a bad hail stone shower which will probably stick..looks like bloody snow coming

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

pelting snow in athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

9:36 AM in Edmonton Alberta
    Minus 14 here at present with highs of minus 12
    No snow today but some last night.
    Sorry not much use to folks in Ireland just like sticking me oar in :)

my dad bought in angus cattle from alberta years ago , he said it was that cold there , when an animal piddled it froze straight away;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

whelan1 wrote: »
    my dad bought in angus cattle from alberta years ago , he said it was that cold there , when an animal piddled it froze straight away;)

The coldest I have seen so far is -31 one morning on the way to work
    That was chilly; no one tells you the snot will freeze in your nose
    Very disconcerting!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Freeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing here, a bit of a sprinkle of snow here too. Hey whelan did any of them canadian cattle have horns on them. An odd angus X calf here grows horns as yearlings. Hope you got the parlour thawed out. Neighbours had to dry everything off because the milk truck couldn't get in.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BOND747

after a dry bright day in Tipperary the snow has finally caught up with us

blue5000 wrote: »
    Freeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing here, a bit of a sprinkle of snow here too. Hey whelan did any of them canadian cattle have horns on them. An odd angus X calf here grows horns as yearlings. Hope you got the parlour thawed out. Neighbours had to dry everything off because the milk truck couldn't get in.
    none of the pedigrees have any horns , an odd cross bred one might have horns ...parlour grand thank god , will see what tomorrow brings

not too bad here this morning, only a dusting of snow and not too cold

plenty of snow here today ... tragic accident not far from us yesterday where a 35 year old woman and her son died , we had been on that road an hour earlier and had a skid ... very sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Past few days have been about 30 degrees there abouts. Bit of rain but Mostly sunshine. Very warm at night, quite hard to sleep. Looks like it's going to be a good summer. Christchurch by the way! At least it feels like Christmas at home, none of this shorts on Xmas day craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

This new white feed isn't all it's cracked up to be boss, can we have grass back please?

P1020787.jpg

P1020810.jpg

P1020793.jpg

P1020805.jpg

Thaw better come, not a damn bale of hay in sight. Couldn't have come at a worse time, as I was scheduled to let the ewes to the hill. Don't know whether they're better on there or inside the fence. Can't move them with the roads now anyway.

Drifted to 8 inches in places. Froze over it then.

But, makes for really fun driving, yehaw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

johngalway wrote: »
    This new white feed isn't all it's cracked up to be boss, can we have grass back please?

P1020787.jpg

Thaw better come, not a damn bale of hay in sight. Couldn't have come at a worse time, as I was scheduled to let the ewes to the hill. Don't know whether they're better on there or inside the fence. Can't move them with the roads now anyway.

Drifted to 8 inches in places. Froze over it then.

But, makes for really fun driving, yehaw :D
    where abouts in connemara are you? Was in Cashel Saturday til Sunday, it snowed for about 5 hours solid, leaving a great depth of snow. Was fun getting away again yesterday!
    them sheep are in great shape btw. I seen a lorry load of hay at maam cross saturday morning being sold

-11 here this morning , and kids still had school:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

-14 when I was passing through Longford early this morning. The roads are actually quite good as there is no thaw on them at all. Once the thaw comes, it wil be better to stay off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

-12 here thismorning,-5 now. Finally got winter tyres on the car but the damn handbrake is frozen agin :mad: No school run today
    It's in the garage running for the last 2 hours and just signs of a thaw on the ice..

For these really cold nights I've been leaving the battery charger on the tractor running on low charge, timer for last 4 hours before I need it, it's been working fine but a new battery will be needed.

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    where abouts in connemara are you? Was in Cashel Saturday til Sunday, it snowed for about 5 hours solid, leaving a great depth of snow. Was fun getting away again yesterday!
    them sheep are in great shape btw. I seen a lorry load of hay at maam cross saturday morning being sold

I'm not too far from Cashel, I do a bit of fox shooting over there for a couple of sheep farmers. Thanks for the compliment! They're actually twin lambs so they'd be some of the smaller lighter lambs I've kept. Plenty of hay being sold at Maam Cross alright. Getting it down here would be fun with the compacted snow on the roads now, bad as far in as Oughterard I hear. Walking my place today there were drifts as deep as my knees and I'm not short!

bbam wrote: »
    -12 here thismorning,-5 now. Finally got winter tyres on the car but the damn handbrake is frozen agin :mad:

There's a thread on Winter tips (or something similar to that) in the Weather forum under Science. They mentioned a way to prevent frozen handbrakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

There's a thread on Winter tips (or something similar to that) in the Weather forum under Science. They mentioned a way to prevent frozen handbrakes.
    Indeed, herself forgot to leave it off... happened two weeks ago as well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Thats a typical farm,
    looks lovely, great views, weather to die for
    but real tough !!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement