Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noel dempsey not standing again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Dempsey as transport minister oversaw the dereliction of the railways, the unmitigated mess of the bus network, the degradation of driving standards, the sheer waste in the airline industry, the annihilation of the taxi industry, including the suicides of numerous drivers, and the subversion of the road network into a corruptible revenue earning scheme for vested interests of his cronies. Not to mention his rotten and questionable record in environment, e-voting, and a history of peddling absolute lies to his own Meath constituents.

If he tried, he couldn't have been a more shockingly bad minister of anything.

People died because of this man, and thousands more were financially ruined. Our infrastructure has stagnated and failed because of this man's grossly incompetent tenure. I can think of nothing, not one single positive thing this man ever contributed to Irish society in his whole wasted appointment. He existed purely to further his own career, and the careers of a number of highly questionable colleagues close to him.

He should die roaring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

clown bag wrote: »
    You have more faith in the Irish people than I do. I fully expect the goldfish to re-elect FF after one term of lab/FG. I'm not even ruling out a FF coalition this time round tbh.

Now that is a realistic post even if a goldfish like me says so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

scr123 wrote: »
    This is not only more hypocrisy but sheer arrogance from the ABFF. You do not hoodwink the people six times in a row !! The stupid ABFF have won more seats in the Dail than FF since 1977. FF cut their own throat in 1979 by increasing the Dail seats by 22 with the result it is almost impossible for FF to get an overall majority. They did this as a direct result of the corrupt gerrymandering by FG/Lab in 1977. The ABFF are a wretched bunch of self-pitying disunited twats with a chronic inferiority complex who will only get in to government on the back of FF running into an international economic tsunami triggered by the collapse of Lehmans.

Noel Dempsey is retiring from the Dail after serving his country with honour. When the ABFF serve their term in office after restoring the country to full employment they then will claim the right to be honoured by the people with a second term in office for their first time ever

Thank you Noel Dempsey

You are either the biggest troll ever or the biggest fool ever. Clearly you dont read the newspapers, the excuse you have given for the financial crisis is bogus. Reigling and Watson and the Honohan Report outlines that in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

There was something sinister behind it when he said to O'Rourke earlier that the government will go out 'in a blaze of glory.'

Makes me wonder what laws/acts he and his pathetic colleagues have up their sleeves before exiting from the stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

Het-Field wrote: »
    You are either the biggest troll ever or the biggest fool ever. Clearly you dont read the newspapers, the excuse you have given for the financial crisis is bogus. Reigling and Watson and the Honohan Report outlines that in detail.

You are not keeping up. Those reports told Cowen to shut up about the international dimension to our banks and financial problems. Cowen had been sneered at for the Lehmans tag to his analysis of problems

Watching Vinnie Browne recently when he had the ABFF hero John Bruton on the panel. Browne asked Bruton his take on the economic problems we face. Bruton instantly referred to the Lehmans collapse and the stunning decision of the US Fed to allow the collapse as the cause of the worldwide crash that found its way to Ireland. Browne's mouth dropped a mile at the Bruton response. Twas a sight to behold.
    If the ABFF, including the pundits in the media, had even the remotest trace of political and economic probity they would recognise that recent events in the international financial arena proves Ireland has been caught up in a fundamental collapse of the financial system. Yes, we were foolish in our own way but we were caught with our pants down when the dominoes came crashing down
    The ABFF are so wrapped up in their petty political agenda the whole world is passing them by !!
    The only thing one can say to the ABFF is, go play with the buses !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

You are not keeping up. Those reports told Cowen to shut up about the international dimension to our banks and financial problems. Cowen had been sneered at for the Lehmans tag to his analysis of problems

Watching Vinnie Browne recently when he had the ABFF hero John Bruton on the panel. Browne asked Bruton his take on the economic problems we face. Bruton instantly referred to the Lehmans collapse and the stunning decision of the US Fed to allow the collapse as the cause of the worldwide crash that found its way to Ireland. Browne's mouth dropped a mile at the Bruton response. Twas a sight to behold.
    If the ABFF, including the pundits in the media, had even the remotest trace of political and economic probity they would recognise that recent events in the international financial arena proves Ireland has been caught up in a fundamental collapse of the financial system. Yes, we were foolish in our own way but we were caught with our pants down when the dominoes came crashing down
    The ABFF are so wrapped up in their petty political agenda the whole world is passing them by !!

If the crisis is so "international", then why are Ireland and Greece part of a very select club which needed International Bailouts ?

Honohan and R&W were explicit in their condemnation of the structural problems (domestically produced) created in the national arena.

You points are hollow and old fashioned. Change the record. Plus, I pay far greater attention to R&W and Honohan then to Bruton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Right or wrong, my main memories of him now are of the guy who claimed he was being blamed for the bad weather in January 2010, and who in August needed both a state car and government jet to get to Donegal to give a speech at the Mc Gill Summer School.
    The excuse for the latter was that he needed the jet to make it to an important trade meeting in London the next day - but funnily enough the meeting was so secret he couldn't reveal who it was with or what it was about. Well that kind of guff might be ok if you're Jack Bauer, but hearing it from a jumped up waster minister of a bankrupt state is just an insult to the intelligence.

Good riddance to another failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭flutered

This is not only more hypocrisy but sheer arrogance from the ABFF. You do not hoodwink the people six times in a row !! The stupid ABFF have won more seats in the Dail than FF since 1977. FF cut their own throat in 1979 by increasing the Dail seats by 22 with the result it is almost impossible for FF to get an overall majority. They did this as a direct result of the corrupt gerrymandering by FG/Lab in 1977. The ABFF are a wretched bunch of self-pitying disunited twats with a chronic inferiority complex who will only get in to government on the back of FF running into an international economic tsunami triggered by the collapse of Lehmans.

Noel Dempsey is retiring from the Dail after serving his country with honour. When the ABFF serve their term in office after restoring the country to full employment they then will claim the right to be honoured by the people with a second term in office for their first time ever

Thank you Noel Dempsey
    and thank you op for giving me a good laugh and brightning up my day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

It's a pity we don't live somewhere like Iraq

Yeah, that would be sweet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Thank god he's gone, take the rest of the scum with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Maybe he will get a job as a director on one of the toll companies he let in.

Just watch this space methinks....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Never liked him from day one.

I won't miss him as he goes after those "on the board" jobs like his ole pal Bertie, they really have no shame, not sure how they sleep at night.:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

<<snip BS>>

Thank you Noel Dempsey

Yes, thanks are due to the shortarse. He's well worth the approximately €5,178,491 that the grateful Irish people will pay to fund him for the rest of his expected natural.

Yes. Thank you Noel Dempsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

7 FF

6 FG

3 Labour

The 9 ABFF TD's have sat on the benches for decades getting money for nothing and its the FF people who get the slagging. To me losing 6 elections in a row and getting well paid for it is not only arrogance but a form of coruption ! The ABFF have been robbing the country blind and still they sit on the high moral ground. Hypocrites !!

Dear sfr123 , it is your band of liars , corrupt bank officials, forgers , perjuror, brown envelope takers, swindlers, misrepresenters and generally treasonous cowards that ruined our country. They are quite rightly resigning in shame. Shame on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

paddyland wrote: »
    I can think of nothing, not one single positive thing this man ever contributed to Irish society in his whole wasted appointment.

In fairness, he introduced the plastic bag levy and scrapped the 'dual mandate' of TDs serving as county councillors, hence going some way to remove national politics from the parish pump.

And if nothing else, would you look at him here with all of these cute children as he helps them across a road. Ahhh!

Minister%20Dempsey%20helps%20kids%20across%20the%20road.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Is George Hook his best friend or something? Listening to Newstalk earlier it would appear so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Good riddance, bet there are no potholes on the driveway up to the nice house we bought him.
    mad.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Lump sum of €162,000, some sort of cessation payment of €17,000 and then a yearly pension of €129,000 - its enough to make you weep. Bertie's era rivals haughey's for sheer skullduggery imo, we have been taken for a ride by these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

In Ireland you do.

This is one of many causes, not the only one as you short-sightedly portray.

Yes, the honour of being the first Irish government to have to call for outside help with financial affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

paddyland wrote: »
    He should die roaring.
    Nasty and uncalled for. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Thank you Noel Dempsey
    No, thank you scr123 - I needed a good bellylaugh. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Heard him on six-one news. Apparently he is leaving because he believes 'the job is done'. So now we all know what FF meant in 2002 when they ran with the slogan-'A lot done, more to do'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

eoinbn wrote: »
    Heard him on six-one news. Apparently he is leaving because he believes 'the job is done'. So now we all know what FF meant in 2002 when they ran with the slogan-'A lot done, more to do'!!

i laughed " yep we completely f**ked up the country - the job is done"
    the mond boggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

another case of jumping before being pushed in the next election
    all I'll remeber him for allowing the country to grind to a halt 3 times (including today) in the one year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I was listening to Matt Cooper this evening and he gave him an easy time imo,I thought Matt would have brought up the toll operators operations here were if the company does not break even we the IRISH tax payer make up the difference,Yet if they make a profit we dont get a penny back:rolleyes:now we know that Harney uses the HSE as a buffer dempsey has the NRA/RSA.
    I was told recently that the NRA was on some station saying that road salt has a best before date:eek: are they for f**king real,This salt comes from the earth and can be millions of years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So you're suggesting I commit suicide ? Just like your sickening party's former con-man boss ?

Given the way the country is going, I might just do that; the only problem is that due to the incompetence of the subject of this thread, there are no buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thank ****, the sight of his smug grin is enough to make me puck! ****er like Ahern is bailing out on a fat pension, poor chap stated 52% goes back to the revenue! still a lot more than the average person earns in two years.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

sollar wrote: »
    Lump sum of €162,000, some sort of cessation payment of €17,000 and then a yearly pension of €129,000 - its enough to make you weep. Bertie's era rivals haughey's for sheer skullduggery imo, we have been taken for a ride by these people.

Irish Times has the pension at a "more modest" 69k p.a., but that still seems ridiculous. While I'd hate to see someone who has served their country destitute in their retirement, that's hardly a big problem. Noel Dempsey won't be signing on after the next election and his stint in govt will likely make him a lot of money over the rest of his life directly or otherwise.
    Again, no problem with pensions for ex ministers/tds who need them. why not means test it?

This also made me lol
    "The veteran Meath TD claims he always planned to stand down after reaching the age of 55, but those close to him said he wanted to remain in office for the last two years in a bid to help improve the country's economic difficulties."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

actually, i think the ministerial pension system we have corrupts politics rather than rewarding valuable service. it's way too lucrative to be a minister it seems, and surely that makes it a motivating, compromising factor for politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Thank ****, the sight of his smug grin is enough to make me puck! ****er like Ahern is bailing out on a fat pension, poor chap stated 52% goes back to the revenue! still a lot more than the average person earns in two years.

Well, it's not really going "back to revenue" as it wasn't really there in the first place.

Advertisement