Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noel dempsey not standing again

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Another one - Good, keep em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Good riddance. Lets hope when he goes to Malta this year he doesn't come back. Now if only the rest of FF would do the honourable thing and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Jaysus between him and bev two of most arrogant f**ks you could know are going yipee,As for dempsey his comtempt for the ordinary traveller/motorist is unreal.
    This is a man who said on the national airways that in order for people not to damage their cars they should drive slowly into the potholes:rolleyes:,Maybe he will get a job as a director on one of the toll companies he let in.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

GOOD RIDDANCE, another waste of space gone...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

This news has just made what was a fairly poor day, considerably better :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I have to say this is hardly surprising, considering it has been a particularly bad year for Dempsey even leaving aside the economic turmoil.

The interesting question now, is where will he go next?

Hardly back to his old job giving career or employment advice to seventeen year olds, given their future prospects, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

oh you wait and see the ****e and brings in before he leaves...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

what age is he? am i correct in thinking you have to be 55 to collect an ex td's pension or does he qualify immediately?

Good Riddance

according to the pat kenny show, he will get €40k more than he would get, IF he was re-elected as a opposition td.... hope he CHOKES on it...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Dempsy is 58 and off to retire with his pension.

He's €40K better off on the ministerial pension than he would be as the opposition spokesman on gouging expenses, or whatever his area of expertise is.

Having met him I have to say, while one of the more principled of the FF oxygen thieves, he is a self-aggrandising waste of (very little) space.

Glad to see the back of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Fogra

Good riddance indeed!
    The sheer arrogance of this man is shown when he tried to justify the waste of taxpayers money that was spent on PPARS.
    Here is the interview on Morning Ireland back in '05: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM2wdp1ccy0
    The first minute is enough to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Wonder is there any chance FG will campaign to bring in an end to ministerial pensions. They actually get to me more than most things about the government at times. That and the 100K golden handshake they get if they resign. Beggars belief

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I would have preferred him to stand for election so the electorate would have had an opportunity of rejecting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Have to say, I'm shocked. Really Shocked. Dempsey's not one to throw in the towel - he's a #fight em on the beaches' type. (and certainly not for a better pension.)

Between himself and Dermot Ahern gone and a few stalwarts likely to fade out of the picture, FF will be left with a mixture of 'softly softly' (on the surface) FFers M Martin Andrews Conor Lenihan etc and the bewildered hangers-on. Christ Peter Powers may well emerge as a major player yet. as for Curran...hard to know. As for O'Keffee Killeen Haughey Rouche etcThe rest - forgetttabourrit. [as for the young guns, also hard to know, but some serious shake-ups on the way, within a year i'd say)

I suppose Dempsey felt something similar or perhaps he has his eye on some opening he thinks he might get in Europe (he's a political animal, always was.)

historical Stuff folks.

PS, put the house on M Martin becoming next FF leader. (but not to lead them into power - in ten years or so. - if ever FF do get on top again - which is no certainty at all)

pps After Martin, Andrews, neither who will be Taoiseach after Andrews...who can say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

7 FF

6 FG

3 Labour

The 9 ABFF TD's have sat on the benches for decades getting money for nothing and its the FF people who get the slagging. To me losing 6 elections in a row and getting well paid for it is not only arrogance but a form of coruption ! The ABFF have been robbing the country blind and still they sit on the high moral ground. Hypocrites !!

hes on news @ 1 now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Glad to see the back of him, he announces it now as the salt supply is low and half the country is being hit with snow blizzards.
    I'm in donegal and the snows far worse than it was a few weeks ago. Even the main roads are a disaster and lorries and buses getting stuck coming out of letterkenny, Lorries jacknifed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭miseeire

So Dempsey is the second minister to declare he is not prepared to be chucked out by the electorate and will retire with a big payoff and even bigger pension.At the age of 55,it's not a bad job that allows such early retirement and not having to worry about keeping the wolf from the door.As someone said recently,it's a great little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

scr123 wrote: »
    7 FF

6 FG

3 Labour

The 9 ABFF TD's have sat on the benches for decades getting money for nothing and its the FF people who get the slagging. To me losing 6 elections in a row and getting well paid for it is not only arrogance but a form of coruption ! The ABFF have been robbing the country blind and still they sit on the high moral ground. Hypocrites !!

You must be one of the 17% mad enough to vote FF in the next election!

The reason that they were in opposition all that time is that a bunch of thieving, lying b*ast*rds managed to hoodwink the majority of the electorate into voting for them. One of whom was myself who did vote for the subject of this thread in the past.

So dont continue the FF line that our problems are as much to do with those that DIDNT get in in the elections. Those TD's were voted in and were paid the salaries for the positions - all of the rises in salary and perks were put in by Ahern, McCreevy and their cronies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

To me losing 6 elections in a row and getting well paid for it is not only arrogance but a form of coruption ! The ABFF have been robbing the country blind and still they sit on the high moral ground. Hypocrites !!

Not too clear on how democracy works, are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sollar wrote: »
    Glad to see the back of him, he announces it now as the salt supply is low and half the country is being hit with snow blizzards.
    I'm in donegal and the snows far worse than it was a few weeks ago. Even the main roads are a disaster and lorries and buses getting stuck coming out of letterkenny, Lorries jacknifed etc.

thats cos they didnt grit the roads my OH drove fron donegal town to sligo and she said the roads were more obvously gritted in sligo (but still chaos)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's a pity we don't live somewhere like Iraq where the likes of Dempsey would get their just desserts. The breathtaking arrogance of the man in defending the e-voting debacle on the lunchtime news today takes some beating. Goodbye and good riddance - shut the door on the way out. Too gutless to face the electorate again. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Have to say, I'm shocked. Really Shocked. Dempsey's not one to throw in the towel - he's a #fight em on the beaches' type. (and certainly not for a better pension.)

Nah, he's getting out now for €40k more per year than if he waits until the next election.

Cute hoorism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

No more "Dial-up" Dempsey - a sad day, indeed.

dixiefly wrote: »
    You must be one of the 17% mad enough to vote FF in the next election!

The reason that they were in opposition all that time is that a bunch of thieving, lying b*ast*rds managed to hoodwink the majority of the electorate into voting for them. One of whom was myself who did vote for the subject of this thread in the past.

So dont continue the FF line that our problems are as much to do with those that DIDNT get in in the elections. Those TD's were voted in and were paid the salaries for the positions - all of the rises in salary and perks were put in by Ahern, McCreevy and their cronies.

This is not only more hypocrisy but sheer arrogance from the ABFF. You do not hoodwink the people six times in a row !! The stupid ABFF have won more seats in the Dail than FF since 1977. FF cut their own throat in 1979 by increasing the Dail seats by 22 with the result it is almost impossible for FF to get an overall majority. They did this as a direct result of the corrupt gerrymandering by FG/Lab in 1977. The ABFF are a wretched bunch of self-pitying disunited twats with a chronic inferiority complex who will only get in to government on the back of FF running into an international economic tsunami triggered by the collapse of Lehmans.

Noel Dempsey is retiring from the Dail after serving his country with honour. When the ABFF serve their term in office after restoring the country to full employment they then will claim the right to be honoured by the people with a second term in office for their first time ever

Thank you Noel Dempsey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Noel Dempsey is retiring from the Dail after serving his country with honour.
    Delusion or Trollery, I can't be sure which. :(

Noel thinks an honour is sitting at the head table when the christmas bash is held by the local cumann. He has no wider concept of honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I'm actually quite pissed off all these despicable politicians are beginning to withdraw - won't even give us the pleasure of giving them a trouncing in the upcoming election - instead they can sit on their piles of money and baby tears and say proudly that it had nothing to do with the greatest defeat Fianna FAIL will ever see.

Gurgle wrote: »
    Not too clear on how democracy works, are you?

Very clear on how democracy works. It works when all the participants make the supreme effort !! It also works when the 75% majority of the electorate unhappy at the 25% of the electorate winning time after time sit down to figure out why they lose so often

And, smartass remarks like " Not too sure how democracy works, are you ? " is an arrogant peepoor way of explaing failure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

yet another one ...........................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

ArtSmart wrote: »
    (but not to lead them into power - in ten years or so. - if ever FF do get on top again - which is no certainty at all)...
    You have more faith in the Irish people than I do. I fully expect the goldfish to re-elect FF after one term of lab/FG. I'm not even ruling out a FF coalition this time round tbh.

Advertisement