Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

in past few days have noticed this years hooded crows and magpies both pecking at bits of my turf.Actually taking small bits (half fist size) and taking them away and pecking at them.I know there's plenty of insects living around the turf, but actually inside? or are they at something else entirely.Maybe just young birds being curious.Never noticed this before though

They usually do this to get leatherjackets (larvae of crane flies or daddy long-legs) that are in the soil at the root of the grass. The ground is so dry and hard they usually take clumps and peck through them away from the exposed lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

I had my usual ~100 Starlings in the garden today and noticed a few of them had a big orange coloured patch on their heads :D A quick google search reveals they are feeding on New Zealand Flax.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Publications/eWings/eWingsIssue11August2010/Neworangeheadedbirdspecies/tabid/1026/Default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Bsal wrote: »
    I had my usual ~100 Starlings in the garden today and noticed a few of them had a big orange coloured patch on their heads :D A quick google search reveals they are feeding on New Zealand Flax.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Publications/eWings/eWingsIssue11August2010/Neworangeheadedbirdspecies/tabid/1026/Default.aspx

A bit mad looking. Nothing has found my NZ flax yet....

At least you knew they were starlings! Every year I get calls about exotic looking birds with orange crests. ;)

I have a new visitor in the garden, a Chiffchaff :D every August/September for the last 2-3 years one or two have appeared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I recently noticed a hedgehog in our back yard one evening when I was going out to lock the chickens in, I've never seen one in the wild so was absolutely delighted to see it.

My mum was outside a few nights ago, she could hear some banging(of a food bowl), she shone the torch towards the chicken's food bowl and there was not one but two hedgehogs in it! One(the one I had seen previously) was about twice the size of the other so either a mate/offspring, but I'm very happy to know they taken a liking to our back year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

Any every see this before a swallow nesting under the soffit of a house?

2yv9k6o.png

P.S It's 100% a swallow not a house martin :P

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

TIL: soffit

here's a strange one.One of my local hooded crows was doing something very unusual yesterday.Sitting on the neighbours windowsill as s/he frequently does and gesturing to the window, flapping wings, cawing etc.But this time occasionally taking a peck at their own legs.Both legs, one single peck that almost knocked it off the windowsill.Anyone ever seen this or any clue whats goin' on? I'm wondering if maybe it's one of this years four young that thinks it's pecking another crow and hasn't become fully self aware in regards to reflection in the window yet.I caN'T tell the parents apart from the 4 young now as they are all the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

There was an awful racket in the hedge this morning. A family of wrens and a fledgling robin were going mad. Discovered a cat climbing up inside the hedge trying to get at them. I gave it the garden hose full blast and in its rush to escape it got stuck! After a prolonged drenching I freed it and hopefully it will never come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

TIL: soffit

here's a strange one.One of my local hooded crows was doing something very unusual yesterday.Sitting on the neighbours windowsill as s/he frequently does and gesturing to the window, flapping wings, cawing etc.But this time occasionally taking a peck at their own legs.Both legs, one single peck that almost knocked it off the windowsill.Anyone ever seen this or any clue whats goin' on? I'm wondering if maybe it's one of this years four young that thinks it's pecking another crow and hasn't become fully self aware in regards to reflection in the window yet.I caN'T tell the parents apart from the 4 young now as they are all the same size.

I think you are right. The self pecking may be a stress response as it doesn't quite understand how to respond to the "intruder".

• Advertisement

I saw my first ever Grey Partridge's today near Hollywood lakes golf course, just past Ballyboughal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

I saw my first ever Grey Partridge's today near Hollywood lakes golf course, just past Ballyboughal.

They are most likely gunclub released birds. They are basically domesticated chickens who won't breed in the wild and are not Irish birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

At a talk on the Grey Partridge project last week, they said gun clubs had agreed not to release any GP - if not nationally then I presume around Boora and the North Dublin site.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

first ever pine marten sighting just now
    wee bit of vid here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86515858&postcount=130

I'm seeing less and less house martins/swallows around my area the past week :( signs of season changing for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I'm seeing less and less house martins/swallows around my area the past week :( signs of season changing for sure.

Indeed Bsal, although still quite a few swallows still in these parts (midlands), particularly over the lakes and bogs, feeding up in preparation for departure.
    In recent years I have been keeping an arrivals and departure log for swallows and other summer migrants - generally swallow numbers decrease in these parts round mid September, with a few stragglers or passing thru birds still around up to early October. My first swallow here this year was on 13th April, a bit later than previous year, usually appear by first week in April. So my local swallows have been around for 6 months now ! Time flies , always feel a bit nostalgic around their arrival and departure !
    But never fear, some winter migrants already here, wigeon, assorted waders etc and Whooper Swans,winter thrushes etc due anyday soon !

After seeing very low numbers of house martin/swallows for last week they have made an appearance today :) large amounts flying around now and there is loads of insects flying around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Lots of house martins at the soffits outside my hotel room window in Ennis at first light this morning...nice way to be woken..:)

About an hour ago I was sitting in the conservatory and could hear some wing flapping, I thought it was just the collared doves fighting in the garden so I didn't look out to see what was going on. A few minutes later I stood up and there was a female sparrowhawk with a dove on the ground and alot of feathers scattered around the garden, but the sparrowhawk flew off and left its lunch. Will she come back for it if I leave it there for a while?

The weekend seemed to have make a huge difference with swallows and house martins here. More or less on schedule - end of September. Sorry to see them go but the winter migrants should be along soon.

• Advertisement

About an hour ago I was sitting in the conservatory and could hear some wing flapping, I thought it was just the collared doves fighting in the garden so I didn't look out to see what was going on. A few minutes later I stood up and there was a female sparrowhawk with a dove on the ground and alot of feathers scattered around the garden, but the sparrowhawk flew off and left its lunch. Will she come back for it if I leave it there for a while?

You can try but it is not the norm for them.

The weekend seemed to have make a huge difference with swallows and house martins here. More or less on schedule - end of September. Sorry to see them go but the winter migrants should be along soon.

Same here, hate to see them leave, seen one solitary swallow over a lake here in midlands today, but also a chiffchaff and a female blackcap ! So they havn't all gone away just yet ya know !:)
    Irishbirding sightings report thousands of hirundines passing over south east coast at weekend , and quite a few rarities turning up too it seems !
    Unfortunately in the wrong part of the country here for such exotica , but as you say Kayla Moldy Supernova, the wintering birds should be on the way , heard that fieldfares recorded already in the west, Whooper Swans and some geese due any day soon !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Flock of geese overhead late this afternoon, white front or grey lags I'd guess, light too poor to make a positive Id even with the binocs.

Some house martins and swallows round for a while as well , haven't seen any for a few days up till now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

came across this today, apparently its not that uncommon looking at all the videos on youtube.

Jags eat anything from monkeys to birds to crocodilians to rodents to fish and turtles and much more.

In north midlands, watched small flocks of swallows flying south east this morning just after 8am , counted at least 120 !
    Some other small birds in the mix as well, couldn't id them even with bins as a bit distant, looked like (& flight similar to ) finches

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Thought the swallows had gone until a pair nearly took my head off just now...Had a lovely year with them. Someone had vandalised their nest in the outside utility here but they rebuilt it fast and raised two young..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

How unusual is it to be visited by a Grey Wagtail? ..in a mature, overgrown garden. South County Dublin.

Howling rain and it just plopped itelf into the bird bath yesterday (Wednesday).. did two lenghts of it and fluttered off, tail flicking this way and that, in the wind.

A clutch of finches were very excited and there was squabbling while it was there. I hope it comes back. Impressive bird, never seen one first hand before.

Deceptive name too, if you Google images for the Grey Wagtail.. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Amalgam wrote: »
    How unusual is it to be visited by a Grey Wagtail? ..in a mature, overgrown garden. South County Dublin.

Howling rain and it just plopped itelf into the bird bath yesterday (Wednesday).. did two lenghts of it and fluttered off, tail flicking this way and that, in the wind.

A clutch of finches were very excited and there was squabbling while it was there. I hope it comes back. Impressive bird, never seen one first hand before.

Deceptive name too, if you Google images for the Grey Wagtail.. ;)

I had one pass through my garden in Rathfarnham over the weekend, despite being a few km from the Dodder!

They might move to different places for the winter? Although I'm not fully sure why they would, possibly due to (expected) flooding on the stretches of river they breed on

• Advertisement

Assuming it is a grey wagtail and not a pied wagtail (as most reports to me of greys turn out) , they do move away from their breeding areas in Autumn and move to lower lying areas including city centres.

Advertisement