Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Returned to Boora today, yippie! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

whyulittle wrote: »
    Returned to Boora today, yippie! :D

Are there many grey partridge around. I might head down there to see a few a the weekend .

I didn't spot any today, but generally you have a pretty good chance of seeing some. Drive slowly through the farmland part and keep an eye on the verges. You can park up close to both partridge habitat areas and walk from there.

There was a Hen Harrier knocking around one of them today, and a few hundred Lapwing and Golden Plover.

Somebody stole one of my nyjer feeders. It was beside the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

In the middle of eating Christmas dinner I spotted a flash of red in the bushes outside, a pair of bullfinches enjoying the berries. First time I've seen them in my garden. Nice to see.... I should sit at "that" side of the table more often :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Tea Tree wrote: »
    In the middle of eating Christmas dinner I spotted a flash of red in the bushes outside, a pair of bullfinches enjoying the berries. First time I've seen them in my garden. Nice to see.... I should sit at "that" side of the table more often :)

It must have been a good year for Bullfinches - have seen small flocks of them (8-10 birds , m & f) around my local patch in recent weeks - perhaps some
    Winter migrants ??

Out and about today, although a cool 4c, some sunshine and birdsong !
    I know that robins and some other thrushes sing a bit throughout winter months but heard a song thrush today belting out with gusto, even the robin song appears a bit more upbeat ? Just my imagination or signs of the approaching springtime ?
    Hope i hav'nt jinxed it...probably be snowing next week! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Out and about today, although a cool 4c, some sunshine and birdsong !
    I know that robins and some other thrushes sing a bit throughout winter months but heard a song thrush today belting out with gusto, even the robin song appears a bit more upbeat ? Just my imagination or signs of the approaching springtime ?
    Hope i hav'nt jinxed it...probably be snowing next week! :eek:

Same here. Great tits and Blue tits singing merrily today, as was the garden song thrush.

Interesting programme for the Joint Raptor Study Group Conference on 26th Jan in Dublin - presentations on the White Tailed Eagle, Raptor ringing, Kestrels, Buzzards, Golden Eagles & The Bird Atlas & Short Eared Owls.
    Info on the Irish Raptor Study Group Facebook page. Not involved in the event or promoting it, just interested in raptors and not very knowledgeable in the subject, so might go along, hopefully it won't be too academic !
    Any one from the Nature & Birdwatching forum going ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Interesting programme for the Joint Raptor Study Group Conference on 26th Jan in Dublin - presentations on the White Tailed Eagle, Raptor ringing, Kestrels, Buzzards, Golden Eagles & The Bird Atlas & Short Eared Owls.
    Info on the Irish Raptor Study Group Facebook page. Not involved in the event or promoting it, just interested in raptors and not very knowledgeable in the subject, so might go along, hopefully it won't be too academic !
    Any one from the Nature & Birdwatching forum going ?

Judging by the topics and speakers I'd say it won't be too academic, so don't worry. I've gone the last two years and found it very interesting and educational, and the speakers listed for this year all have a huge amount of experience so I'd definitely recommend it to any boardsies thinking of going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

BBC winterwatch starts tomorrow 8:30pm BBC2 :D and online from 9am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p012msk2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Aldi are selling Birdfood and feeders this Thursday - I got 2 12.75kg of seed and 2 tubs of 50 fatballs back at the start of November and I'm only jsut finishing them off now. The birds love them, and good value!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

The Dublin Bird Race took place yesterday with 7 teams competing. Conditions were not great during the day, so the total list of 112 species was quite good. The winning team got 106 species, with the other teams all getting more than 80.

Highlights included Red-necked Grebe in Dun Laoghaire, Ross's Gull seen by two teams from the North Bull Wall, Snow Bunting and a Curlew Sandpiper at Rogerstown.

V_Moth wrote: »
    The Dublin Bird Race took place yesterday with 7 teams competing. Conditions were not great during the day, so the total list of 112 species was quite good. The winning team got 106 species, with the other teams all getting more than 80.

Highlights included Red-necked Grebe in Dun Laoghaire, Ross's Gull seen by two teams from the North Bull Wall, Snow Bunting and a Curlew Sandpiper at Rogerstown.
    I was looking for the Ross's gull on the south Bull wall:mad:

V_Moth wrote: »
    The Dublin Bird Race took place yesterday with 7 teams competing. Conditions were not great during the day, so the total list of 112 species was quite good. The winning team got 106 species.

A well decent score for the day that was in it !
    Over on the west coast this morning myself, see what the westerlies might have blown in ? Still howling wind and squally showers here !

Was at the Raptor Study Group Conference in Dublin on Saturday - any other Boarders there ?
    Enjoyable and quite informative presentations throughout the day - pity no speaker notes or key message summaries available , there was so much good information presented , was impossible to retain much of it ! For me though, messages that struck home : poisoning of raptors still a major issue as is a significant mortality risk to these reintroduced and native birds from a proliferation of wind farm developments, still a lot to do on Agri- environmental policy around promoting and developing wildlife appropriate habitats, and particularly around measured to protect & halt the decline in Farmland birds and breeding Wetland wader species !
    Great to hear about all the research & monitoring work being by NPWS, Golden Eagle Trust, Raptor Research & Birdwatch Ireland, but one thinks it's an uphill struggle. Education, public awareness and incentivisation the way forward ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just saw my first example of bud burst - some hawthorn (planted near woodies in Sandyford) has decided it's spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Chris Packham on bbc 2 now presenting Inside the Animal Mind.

its part 2 of 3, didnt see yesterdays one.

Very good so far.

I see (from Irishbirding) a Glossy Ibis showing in Shannonbridge - anyone know whereabouts there ?
    Might be passing nearby over the weekend and wouldn't mind a detour to see this bird !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Mollycoddle your garden birds with some nice grub! Tide them over this snowy patch..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

mine are loving it-mixed seeds , peanuts,bread-got an unusual amount of reed buntings hanging about this past couple weeks plus the usual suspects--chaffinches, blackbirds, robins, tits
    No fieldfares this year--had hundreds last year.Very few goldfinches-only seen one or 2 and they don't hang about for long.
    No greenfinches either this year-unusual

started buying the odd kilo of lump bacon at lidl for the hooded crows.They love it.They had 4 babies last spring so there's 6 of them still knocking about.I'm expecting the parents to cut the apron strings soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

3 pairs of male, female Blackbirds beavering about a patch under a plum tree, then a shriek of pure camp horror. Garden empty in the blink of an eye. We were visited on Sunday by a somewhat clumsy Sparrowhawk.

Never realised how 'leggy' the bird is..

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

Little Grebe diving in the Basin, Blessington Street today.

Up and down to Dublin today - a nice number of Buzzards perched on lamp posts, and a Little Egret flying out of the Enfield MSA!

The delights of Lough Boora are showcased on Tracks and Trails on RTE One this evening at 7:30. Hopefully they don't spend all their time around the Sculpture Park!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

I heard Skylarks singing today at Dublin airport :D

Three Sand Martins seen in Waterford today apparently. Very early!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Three Sand Martins seen in Waterford today apparently. Very early!

God luv em - I wonder what the mortality rate is among these early arrivals. Last Spring must have taken out big numbers:(

Bsal wrote: »
    I heard Skylarks singing today at Dublin airport :D

Got them in song flight on west coast last week also ! Lovely to hear so early in the season ! Sadly, scarce enough now on my local patch in the midlands !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Talking to lad here in the pub who walks the featherbeds a lot and said past few days he's seen a couple of stoats about. Didn't know they were that frequent in Leinster.

Advertisement