Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

corvids are extremely intelligent(amongst THE most intelligent birds) and I have been noticing similar behaviour near my house.I'm totally convinced they are self aware and are just playing with their reflections-the behaviour is not aggressive at all -I have pictures I'll dig out-hooded crows here too

That's why I thought it was peculiar. I've seen (single) small birds do similar but thought it was strange behaviour for crows, especially in a group and in turn.
    I hadn't considered they might be playing with reflection rather than attacking. It was all beak against window but no vocalisation if that's relevant? Is that similar to "your" birds?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

I'll elaborate tomorrow -just back from pub-will dig those pics out too.My crows definitely do vocalise-more tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Was listening to the drumming of Great Spotted Woodpecker this morning :)

Don't know which tree it was in though but will look during next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭wordsmithi

I bought nyger (niger) seed this morning. I had six goldfinches on my feeder.
    A charm of goldfinches! If anyone thinks that birds in Ireland are just brown or dull colours they would get such a pleasant surprise with these beauties. The crimson on the head and the deep yellow stripes on the wings. Magnificent!

littlebug wrote: »
    That's why I thought it was peculiar. I've seen (single) small birds do similar but thought it was strange behaviour for crows, especially in a group and in turn.
    I hadn't considered they might be playing with reflection rather than attacking. It was all beak against window but no vocalisation if that's relevant? Is that similar to "your" birds?

'my' crows do vocalise and flap their wings at the reflection but no beak on glass.I never see them do this behaviour when they are threatening say the magpies or blackbirds.I searched for a good hour today for the pics but no joy(basically just capturing the wingflaps and reflection anyway)--my picture filing system is diabolical and it hasn't been helped with multiple backups and computer crashes etc etc the usual story.

• Advertisement

wordsmithi wrote: »
    I bought nyger (niger) seed this morning. I had six goldfinches on my feeder.
    A charm of goldfinches! If anyone thinks that birds in Ireland are just brown or dull colours they would get such a pleasant surprise with these beauties. The crimson on the head and the deep yellow stripes on the wings. Magnificent!

couldn't agree more.Here's 5 goldies munching on peanuts at mine

1DAF6652D4EF46609A8AC480D822087B-0000355662-0002850238-00800L-718A9519D1ED47A4A705F62EF258AE2D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Blue tits are getting brazen around us, out filling the feeders with peanuts this morning and one fell on an inch or two from my foot, one little tit flew down looked at me for a few seconds, grabbed the nut and buggered off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Spent an interesting morning helping colour ring Brent Geese in Finglas, Dublin.

picture.php?albumid=1912&pictureid=14720

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Why do they do that?^^

Why do they do that?^^

http://www.irishbrentgoose.org/

Lots of info at the above site.

• Advertisement

They don't seem to. Some geese have been ringed for 12 years now and are coming back to Ireland every winter, often with juveniles in tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Any experts want to tell me what caterpillar this is? :)

5679CB2810AB41A680271ADC80654E05-0000335208-0003196335-00500L-312A7D3DD8CA413FB08FFDB85BF601C6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

trebor28 wrote: »

That would be the Beeater caterpillar? Super shot

That would be the Beeater caterpillar? Super shot

not mine obviously, just saw it on the net and thought it was funny!

trebor28 wrote: »

my 8 year old son instantly recognised this :D while my daughter and I were just coo-ing over the cute caterpillar :o I think his brain works differently than ours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

I seen a Skylark doing its display flight today over a field near airside retail park, a lovely sight pity about the weather.

Just plugged in one of my birdbox cams and discovered a Robin building a nest in it. Did the same last year but didn't use it. I've been told male Robins can build several nests and then the female picks one. Hope the fussy so-and-so picks my nestbox this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Just when you think you know the backroads of Offaly, you end up in the centre of Tullamore! :o

whyulittle wrote: »
    Just when you think you know the backroads of Offaly, you end up in the centre of Tullamore! :o

:D I remember once we left Carraroe in Connemara at about 1am. At 2am we arrived in Carraroe in Connemara :o:o

• Advertisement

^^lol

Spotted a hedgehog making a run for cover last night when I went out to check my (empty) moth trap. I put out some food and set up the trail camera to see if it would come back. This morning I had over 40 video clips of 2 hedgehogs eating all the food and having a bit of a fight with eachother. Judging by their size they were born last summer, possibly the 2 babies we had in the garden last year. Think I'll keep feeding them until the cold snap has passed and there is more natural food available again. I've had a t least 1 hedgehog hibernating in the hedgehog house I built, but don't know if it is one of these or the resident adult female.

great find up in antrim today!

http://www.irishbirding.com/birds/web/Display/sighting/55450/Birding_Opportunity.html

i wonder did anyone go up and see it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

They don't seem to. Some geese have been ringed for 12 years now and are coming back to Ireland every winter, often with juveniles in tow.
    speaking of rings .whilst out wandering the fields south of wicklow town today.i threw my lunch leftovers for the birds.i was surprised to see a ringed rook..he didnt behave as if captive bred..im curious as to who would ring him or why?or is there some ringing programme in the area?

A Robin laid, then abandoned an egg in my camera nestbox 2 days ago. This morning there was a 2nd abandoned egg beside it! What is going on? Could the cold weather be causing her not to try incubating? Should I remove the eggs later on in the month in the hope that she will try again in the same box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A Robin laid, then abandoned an egg in my camera nestbox 2 days ago. This morning there was a 2nd abandoned egg beside it! What is going on? Could the cold weather be causing her not to try incubating? Should I remove the eggs later on in the month in the hope that she will try again in the same box?
    Wait and see, birds lay their clutch and then start incubating. This way they all hatch at same time. You'll likely have another egg or 2 then incubating will start.

Mothman wrote: »
    Wait and see, birds lay their clutch and then start incubating. This way they all hatch at same time. You'll likely have another egg or 2 then incubating will start.

Aha, that makes sense. I never thought about why they all hatch at the same time before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

whyulittle wrote: »

It happened again. :o:o

To be fair, this time I didn't even think I knew where I was going.

It's (finally) starting to look like spring has sprung. Saw my first bumblebee in the garden today though the kids saw one yesterday. And I'm starting to see more small flying "things" around so hopefully there'll be plenty for the swallows when they arrive. I remember last year cursing the midges at the Turlough and hoping the swallows would soon turn up to get rid of a few! This year.... no midges yet!

"my" swallows usually turn up around the 16th April. I wonder will they be on time this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Anybody seeing Greenfinches at their feeders?

Advertisement