Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you answer the door to strangers while alone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I never answer the door unless someone calls me first so I know who it is. But even if a delivery guy is meant to call I let my OH get it - just in case it's a murderer.. I'm sure he could "take care" of a murderer.... Or at least give me some time to get away! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Generally not unless it's someone I know. Or the Gardaí, which has happened a couple of times...looking for people nextdoor, mind you :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Never realised people were so afraid of answering the door. Wow.

flash1080 wrote: »
    Never realised people were so afraid of answering the door. Wow.

Some of us are just anti-social ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I would open the door as there is a patio door with a latch in front of the door, it's pretty safe...I think! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

If someone knocks on my door at night and I'm not expecting anyone I just ask:"Who is there", before opening the door and if they refuse to answer or whatever they'll be left standing there. If I know the person then it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

No, I would never answer the door when I am alone in the evening. My husband is away alot. My friends would always ring first or call when they are outside. Same with family.

Better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I'm a bloke and have no problem answering the door. One thing I know my mother does is always bring the phone to the door with her. If it's knackers, door to door sales, bible worshippers etc. she just says she's on the phone and can't talk. She says they go pretty quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

no. reguardless of time of day, i dont answer the door unless i am expecting somebody. Otherwise i will ask who it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I never answer the door unless its friends/family but they'll ring in advance so i know to keep an eye out for them. same with the postman, if i know im expecting a parcel ill just get up early and keep an eye out. apart from all that i dont see the point in opening the door to anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

No, never.

I only answer the door if I know the person/people, everyone else is left standing there, some people ring the doorbell/knock on the door a few times before leaving, but most leave after ringing once.

We have a glass porch door and glass either side of the front door, so we can see who's at the door. Sometimes, even if we know who's at the door, if they are non-family I might just open the side window of the sitting room and talk to them that way, they can't get at the window though, as there is a big drop from the window down, plus the flower bed is right under the window, and my mother has Roses planted there, which have thorns on them.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Never
    Could the be the TV licence inspector, he's after me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I do generally. Most of the time its a wrong address. If its sales people I have no trouble politely telling them I am not interested. Don't usually get Jesus people calling around, I'd invite them in though for a tea and a chat if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The last people to knock at my door were: the landlord, the landlord's electrician (testing the fire alarm), the neighbour and a family member of my flatmate with medical news - should I have refused all these people? Some severe delusion and paranoia going on here. If you feel insecure, do something about improving your security rather than just ignoring people - how many actual cases of serial killers knocking on doors have you heard of?
    We have a chain on the door but I don't really trust it.
    Then get a proper chain. Have some way of seeing who's at the door before you open it, be it a peephole, a side or upstairs window, CCTV or even just an intercom. Have an external light fitted. If you want, have your phone with you. If someone isn't going away, they will when they hear you dialling 999 and asking for the Garda.

For those afraid of people sticking their foot in the door, that is something that you can do also - put your foot close behind the door and someone can't easily push their way in.

Victor wrote: »
    The last people to knock at my door were: the landlord, the landlord's electrician (testing the fire alarm), the neighbour and a family member of my flatmate with medical news - should I have refused all these people? Some severe delusion and paranoia going on here.

To be fair, most people aren't talking about being afraid to answer the door to people they know. Especially during the day. It's mainly at night, when unexpected strangers call to the door that people (and since this is the Ladies Lounge, women in particular) are more reluctant. No-one's telling you you shouldn't answer the door to anyone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To be fair, most people aren't talking about being afraid to answer the door to people they know.
    And yo be fair most of those who posted above don't know who is at the door, because they don't check to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I answer the door. I have an advantage in that I have a screen door too, so I can close and lock that in the afternoon and then answer the front in the evening and see who's there if the doorbell goes late, and there's still a security door between them and me. I live on my own these days, and my doorbell sometimes misfires around 11pm (it's a plug-in doorbell). Usually take the dog with me - not sure how much use he'd be, coz he's really just a pup at 7 months old, but he's still topping 25kgs at the moment and appears far more fierce than he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Good tip about keeing you foot just behind the opened door.

I live on a residential road with good street lighting as well as glass on the paneling of the door. I have no problems answering the door but if I know it is travellers I tend to ignore it as they can take the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

It's great having a locked porch so you can open up but still have it between you and just talk through it if necessary! Better to be safe than sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Best way to do it if you dont have peek hole is go upstairs open window and ask who is calling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My two doggies sound very threatening when they bark so they'd soon scare away any baddies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The last people to knock at my door were: the landlord, the landlord's electrician (testing the fire alarm), the neighbour and a family member of my flatmate with medical news - should I have refused all these people? Some severe delusion and paranoia going on here. If you feel insecure, do something about improving your security rather than just ignoring people - how many actual cases of serial killers knocking on doors have you heard of?

Then get a proper chain. Have some way of seeing who's at the door before you open it, be it a peephole, a side or upstairs window, CCTV or even just an intercom. Have an external light fitted. If you want, have your phone with you. If someone isn't going away, they will when they hear you dialling 999 and asking for the Garda.

For those afraid of people sticking their foot in the door, that is something that you can do also - put your foot close behind the door and someone can't easily push their way in.

I'd agree. I'm single, female and live alone. I always answer the door day or evening, if it's people selling stuff I just tell them where to go. Usually judging by the look on their face when I open the door I must look quite hostile, because I'm not expecting anyone at the house.

I don't see that much difference in the paranoia about opening the door in the evening and stranger danger. While it's obviously good to warn kids about the danger posed by strangers, very few children if any are ever abducted from outside their house. Same with answering the door in the evening. Mostly it's people selling stuff - eircom/vodafone etc or charities or ticket sellers. And they are told where to go pretty sharpish. Don't think any serial killer has knocked on my door recently.

If someone wants to break into your house/ kill you etc, chances are they'll find a way in, they don't need to knock on your front door to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

For me it's not about danger. Rather it's just the bother of being disturbed by cold-callers trying to sell me something I don't want. If I want something I'll go and buy it but I ain't buying anything at the door.

Now, when the politicians call around I'll be answering the door to tell them what I think of them. Anyone got a slavering dog I can borrow for the elections?... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

I would never answer the door during the day or at night, if i'm alone. A friend or family member should have the house number or my mobile number. I usually wouldn't answer the door unless I was expecting someone. You can't see who is at the door, even from upstairs in my house because of the pillars at the porch.
    You can see people walking away, it really freaks me out to answer the door to someone I don't know.
    I'm glad i'm not the only one like this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I don't ever answer it without notice, but it has nothing to do with fear or paranoia, it's for the simple fact that anyone I know respects me enough to give me notice before dropping by. If it's important, I'm contactable by phone. I don't like being disturbed at my home just because someone can't be arsed to take 30 seconds to ring/text to say they're calling, it's pretty rude-- I wouldn't arrive at someone's place unannounced, it would imply my time is more important than theirs and that I expect them to drop everything for me, and I think that's more than a little arrogant.

Anyone I don't know, I don't want at my home. There's plenty of other ways to get in contact with me.

I don't think that's particularly unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I remember when I was about 12 or so, and Martin Cahill was all over the television (maybe the film was just released I'm not sure), anyways we had just moved into the house and mum when out for the night, (we live in the country) leaving me to mind the house and the sister.

Now I didnt' really pay much attention to the Cahill story, but I knew what he looked like.

Imagine the fear I felt that night when the doorbell rang at like midnight, and I could see through the frosted glass in the front door the outline of a man with ginge hair!!
    So I opened the door and this fella asks me do I have a light as he was dying for a smoke. Not wanting to be murdered, I said ok and closed the door, got a box a matches and gave them to him. He then asked me to drive him home, I had to tell him I didn't have the car that night (as I was about 12 FFS!)

Turns out, we have a neighbour who is a few sambos short of a picnic living about a half mile over the road, and he was walking home from town that night.

Scared the absolute bejaysus out of me.
    Actually, mum never paid me for that night's babysitting now that I think of it...!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

The last people to knock at my door were: the landlord, the landlord's electrician (testing the fire alarm), the neighbour and a family member of my flatmate with medical news - should I have refused all these people? Some severe delusion and paranoia going on here.

Well your landlord is suppose to give you notice before calling round aint they? So if they plan on calling round it aint too hard to pick up the phone and see if you there. Not sure if they are allowed to just come round and let in a worker, electrician or whatever without you being there. I'd much prefer to be there though.

Been drummed into me since I was about 11 or 12 to never open the door when alone.
    Planning on living on my own next year in a town where I know nobody and I sure as hell won't be answering the door if I'm not expecting someone. Even if I am expecting them I'll call or send a text and see if that's them at the door. If people ask I'll say I do have a flatmate living with me. Fact is I don't want random strangers knowing I live alone. Folks may think that's paranoia or ridiculous but it's my safety and that's the important thing so folks can think I'm odd if they want, doesn't bother me :D

Plus the fact I like my own space and if I wanna see people I'll normally contact/visit them or else invite them over when I want...otherwise...feic off and leave me alone :pac::pac:

I hardly ever open the door if I'm home alone. There's really no good reason at all for someone to be knocking at my door at night. I don't think it's paranoid either, a friend of a friend was raped and almost killed by a guy who forced his way in after she opened the door to him. There are some real weirdos living in and hanging around my building. Women living alone can be vulnerable, and I think it's sensible, not paranoid, to take precautions. Living where I do, I feel I'd have more to lose by opening than not opening the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Unless I'm expecting someone, I never answer the door. It's normally someone selling some crap I dont want.

Advertisement