Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you answer the door to strangers while alone?

Options
  • 16-12-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

If the doorbell rings especially after dark and when I am alone,I tend to just ignore them. It its an emergency, they will bang on the door, not just ring it once and leave

Someone just rang the doorbell there and I just left it, I kind of felt a bit rude and guilty but its 8:30 in the evening and I'm not expecting anyone.

We don't have a peep hole unfortunately so I can't really check who's out there without them seeing me. We have a chain on the door but I don't really trust it.

I'm probably a bit more wary now as a few months ago my elderly granaunt answered the door in the middle of the day to a woman and while she was talking to her at the front door someone went in the back and robbed her.:mad:

So ladies what do you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I'd be the same as you, I wouldn't answer it, especially because we don't live in an estate or anything so I would wonder who was wandering around. I have a big black dog who likes to bark at the door, so if someone really persisted in knocking/ringing the bell after they heard her I might answer, but she always sticks her nose out the when they door is barely open, scares everyone, it's great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I don't think my little mini Jack Russell would scare anyone :D. Have yet to hear her bark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Depends if I can see them I'll usually answer if I know or am expecting people boyfriend does it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No not unless I know the person or at least expecting someone that I don't know well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Nope not a hope. If its someone i know they'll ring my phone knowing i'm in cause the lights and tv are on. Or if i know someone is calling down i'll ask who it is first before opening the door. Otherwise they can go away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Peephole and check first, I'm not very likely to answer the door if I'm not expecting someone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I don't answer it at all- my friends know to knock on my front window cause my bell doesn't work, and anyone else tends to call my phone to say they're outside.
    It's not cause I'm nervous though, I just hate door to door sales people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

We live in an estate but if I was on my own I would be more cautious and think twice about answering it.

My Gran-aunt lives in the country with very few houses around them. A few nights ago she had a young couple knock at the door around 9pm wondering if there were any houses for rent in the area! I found it really suspect. Thankfully, her husband was there. But I can't help but think that they are seeing what elderly people live alone etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We have a chain on the door but I don't really trust it.

Them chains are fairly useless for the most part.

Alot of shoving can pull out the fittings on the door / door frame.

Shame you don't have a peep hole to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Hell no, it might be a tv license inspector!

I'll either ignore it or look out the window to see if it's anyone I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Goodness, I would always answer the door unless it was maybe after 11 but even then curiousity would get the better of me and I'd at least shout "who is it?" from inside. In my experience it's always either a lost taxi man or a lost take away delivery guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I live in the sticks and rarely answer the door unless I'm expecting someone.

We have three dogs who go wild barking when anyone pulls up, I answered the door last night for the first time in about 3 years!

Spadina wrote: »
    so if someone really persisted in knocking/ringing the bell after they heard her I might answer

I sometimes get Travelers calling to my house. They can be very urgent and persistent in their knocking.
    If anything that kind of commotion makes me think twice about opening the door.

I wouldn't usually worry about it though.
    If someone has their sights set on breaking into my place, they will find a way whether I open the door or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Them chains are fairly useless for the most part.

Alot of shoving can pull out the fittings on the door / door frame.

Once the door was open with the chain on I used open the inlaws chain from the outside.

On the whole we get very few calls to the door, they tend to be deliveries or local charities, or salespeople.

I answer the door up to 9pm, after that I ignore it.

I've a pane of glass in the door that I can see who is there through it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yeah I'd open it, it would annoy me thinking about who it could have been. If it's late or I'm not expecting anyone I'll let the dog out into the hall with me. If they only knew how likely he is to lick them to death they wouldn't knock out of fear! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I live in an apartment block so yeah, I probably would. I feel pretty safe here. Back home in my parents... I dunno, it's kinda isolated so if it was late and dark, I guess I'd be nervous. It makes me sad that I'd automatically think, 'Oh, what if I answer the door and it's someone who's going to break in' or whatever, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Still think it's sad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

I'm not a lady but thought I'd answer anyway. I never open the door to strangers at any time of day or night whether I'm alone or not. My friends and family know to text me or shout through the lettebox if they're coming around. Anybody else knocking on my door is either trying to sell me something or is out to get me. If someone persists in knocking loudly I'm likely to open the top window and give them a mouthfull of abuse. They can all take a running jump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I always allow callers to get acquainted with the dog first; that usually gets rid of the time wasters:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

This thread is gas- I didn't know there were others like me out there.
    I don't answer the door at all, unless we're expecting a delivery of something, or friends have called in advance.
    There are a lot of travellers knocking door to door recently selling stuff, and I've heard that they tend to nearly come into your house, looking around.
    I'm too much of a 'fraidy cat to be talking to strangers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭amber2

Two dobermans and a big gate they can take their chances on ringing my doorbell if they make it that far but dont really know what my doorbell sounds like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Not at night. I live on a busy street so could be drunken idiots ringing my bell.

Have answered it in the day alright, funniest time, few travelers wanting to sell me carpet and would not go away!

I'm rarely home alone at night though, and if I was I'd be in pjs and would not answer the door to anyone!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Yes, I answer the door. Don't really think about it actually.

Mind you, i've been caught rotten by a few Bible bashers and God botherers which was highly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Peephole and check first, I'm not very likely to answer the door if I'm not expecting someone though.

you should install a peephole really, I turn the light on and check the peephole even if i am expecting someone! I can totally see where you are coming from and we got robbed before which can change how safe you feel in your own house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A glass porch door is very handy. The odd time that I do answer the door, I open the inner door, see if it's anyone I want to talk to and give them a shake of the head otherwise and close the door again. No foot-in-the-door stuff that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Cant think of any situation where I would want to talk to someone who's knocking unannounced on my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

There has been one or two occasions when a neighbour has asked for a favour in an emergency, which I don't mind.

I've looked out the window to see a guy in a vodafone jacket in a clipboard, and a woman with bible literature before. Both got a "not interested thanks" out the window before they could open their mouths.

I just think evening time is important to me, I'm usually in the middle of a conversation with my boyfriend, a tv show, making or eating dinner. Or in my PJs or tracky legs and not presentable! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

I stand on the other side very quietly with a kitchen knife in hand until they go away

(yes, I'm paranoid)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

serenacat wrote: »
    you should install a peephole really, I turn the light on and check the peephole even if i am expecting someone! I can totally see where you are coming from and we got robbed before which can change how safe you feel in your own house

I never use a peephole, after I saw a film where this serial killer would ring the doorbell and wait until he saw the shadow under the door and at the peephole and then he'd put a drill through it to surprise the woman and break the door in. It's stupid but it's a weird fear that stayed with me.

Never answer the door. if someone wants to talk to me they can call me, if they want to call over they can call me on the phone and give me a time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Kimia wrote: »
    I never use a peephole, after I saw a film where this serial killer would ring the doorbell and wait until he saw the shadow under the door and at the peephole and then he'd put a drill through it to surprise the woman and break the door in. It's stupid but it's a weird fear that stayed with me.

Never answer the door. if someone wants to talk to me they can call me, if they want to call over they can call me on the phone and give me a time!

:eek: oh my god!!

Nobody can really knock on my door in the place I'm in now but in my last place yeah I always answered the door whatever time of day, some middle of the night rings from my drunken brother looking for a place to sleep has been known to happen :pac: If it was late I'd be cautious but would still open it.

Advertisement