Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Enda stood aside

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Bertie Ahern did have a Degree from UCD in economics to be fair to him... oh no wait, he didn't, he told lies and people still voted him back in! Education means shag all, FFers constantly rant on about how intelligent a man Brian Cowen is but... well the argument makes itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Bertie Ahern did have a Degree from UCD in economics to be fair to him... oh no wait, he didn't, he told lies and people still voted him back in! Education means shag all, FFers constantly rant on about how intelligent a man Brian Cowen is but... well the argument makes itself.

You're right, we have seen where brains have got us. It is now time for Enda

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

You're right, we have seen where brains have got us. It is now time for Enda

At least the man has the courage to put himself out there and try to say what he thinks the country needs to get back on its feet. And I'm sure he probably knows quite well that he's not the best public speaker in the world.

It so easy to sit anonymously in front of a computer screen and post snide, smart-ass remarks. Do you think you could do better if you were put in charge of the country? If so get out there and let yourself be judged in the same manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

Jayuu wrote: »
    At least the man has the courage to put himself out there and try to say what he thinks the country needs to get back on its feet.

No he doesn't, hes been hiding away from the media for some time now.

Kenny had a chance to show leadership and integrity when that FG TD threatened to ruin the career of a garda for not allowing him to drink drive. Instead Kenny did NOTHING, thereby proving he is just as corrupt and just as much as a gombeen as anyone in FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Enda Kenny is a qualified primary school teacher, just the sort of qualification you need to run a country
    Sean Lemass, one of the most pragmatic, forward looking and capable Taoisigh that we have ever had, as well as probably being the most respected across party lines, was a draper by trade.

This sort academic snobbery, as though most of the Dail are these very high brow thinkers, is just daft. Brian Cowen was a small town solicitor with about one years' experience of defending drunk drivers before progressing to politics, and Eamon Gilmore and his Pet Rabbit were professional pinkos.

Perhaps in using his experience of dealing with spoiled children, Enda Kenny can bring some cross party concensus to the governance of this country, much to its potential benefit. Perhaps he could also throw the public sector brats out in the yard, maintain order, improve our grades to AAA (maybe even with a gold star) and encourage the population into behaving like reasonable, intelligent adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

At least the man has the courage to put himself out there and try to say what he thinks the country needs to get back on its feet. And I'm sure he probably knows quite well that he's not the best public speaker in the world.

It so easy to sit anonymously in front of a computer screen and post snide, smart-ass remarks. Do you think you could do better if you were put in charge of the country? If so get out there and let yourself be judged in the same manner.

I could "have the courage" to do my job for 228,000€ per annum plus expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Kenny had a chance to show leadership and integrity when that FG TD threatened to ruin the career of a garda for not allowing him to drink drive. Instead Kenny did NOTHING, thereby proving he is just as corrupt and just as much as a gombeen as anyone in FF.

you overestimate how easy it is to ruin the career of a guard in this country , what sheehan said was nothing more than the ramblings of a pompous gob****e , storm in a teap cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Incorrect. An FG TD spouted ****e while drunk (not a particularly admirable trait, admittedly) but you CHOSE to interpret it as a threat.

Personally, I'd prefer someone who threatens something and doesn't do it to someone who doesn't threaten it and just goes and does it.....for all the ****e they've spouted, I never heard Ahern, Lenihan or Cowen actually verbally threaten to ruin the economy and cause hardship.

Ideally, I'd prefer neither, of course, but give me "mouthing off" over actually directly taking steps to do something (while telling those warning what those steps would lead to to do away with themselves) any day.

Not to mention O'Dea explicitly taking steps to ruin the career of a journalist.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You wont find anything about Kenny on the BCC/CNN etc. But if you pay enough attention, he is alive and well in local media.

Yeah. That does right him off as a leader. Terrible, for not interfering immediately and waiting for the TD to fall on his own sword without public interference from his party leader. :rolleyes:

There are ways and means of doing things and perhaps running wild to the press with "Ill kick him straight out!" wouldn't be the smartest. He stepped aside in due course, and didn't need a public interference from his party leader.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'd go slightly against the grain on this one.

I'd have to acknowledge that some people seem to put "charisma" over substance, and that is crucifying Enda & FG.

That said, those who do that are - for the most part - the people who would have fallen for Ahern's faux charisma, and look where that got us.

Kenny has proven to be a good leader for FG, acting as a manager rather than a captain, and putting both experienced performers and enthusiastic newcomers into relevant positions - the perfect examples being Varadkar and Noonan; when you can see those people talking sense then it instils far more confidence than having the leader themselves on spouting nonsense.....it's not just "a leader", it's a whole party that seems - for the most part - to have its act together.

So I'd actually be LESS likely to vote FG if some upstart wanted to become leader, because we'd be then dealing with someone who didn't have an impressive track record.

I only wish that people in Ireland put a premium on substance instead of (perceived) style.

It's not the lack of style/charisma that makes me dislike Kenny. It's that he's very soapy, and looks like if elected he will be just the same sort of gombeen as Ahern etc by giving jobs to the boys and getting elected with pure pork barrell politics.

So I would also put a premium on substance, but sadly Kenny doesn't have that either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Enda Kenny is a qualified primary school teacher, just the sort of qualification you need to run a country

what was your ff leader. who ruined the country:D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I will have my chance to tell him exactly what I think of him in the coming weeks, as I am one of his constituents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Kenny has proven to be a good leader for FG, acting as a manager rather than a captain, and putting both experienced performers and enthusiastic newcomers into relevant positions - the perfect examples being Varadkar and Noonan; when you can see those people talking sense then it instils far more confidence than having the leader themselves on spouting nonsense.....it's not just "a leader", it's a whole party that seems - for the most part - to have its act together.

i very much disagree with this.

he's rode on a wave that would have happened with or without him. if the economic collapse hadn't happened, FG would still be the opposition party come the next GE.

his management of his party, at least at the higher levels, has been shambolic, most obviously displayed in the Bruton leadership fiasco, which only failed as Bruton made a balls of it all.

the only reason Noonan is there now is because of that heave, he would still be on the sidelines if Bruton et al hadn't moved against Kenny and ticked him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

i very much disagree with this.

he's rode on a wave that would have happened with or without him. if the economic collapse hadn't happened, FG would still be the opposition party come the next GE.

his management of his party, at least at the higher levels, has been shambolic, most obviously displayed in the Bruton leadership fiasco, which only failed as Bruton made a balls of it all.

the only reason Noonan is there now is because of that heave, he would still be on the sidelines if Bruton et al hadn't moved against Kenny and ticked him off.

I think he handled the Bruton mutiny very well. For someone who is spouted as being everything from incompetent, to unintelligent, lacking experience, just a school teacher, and to being so unpopular with the electorate, he defended his position as leader of the party, and fought off a coup d'état, by arguably more popular politicians. Does not sound like the actions of such a petty leader at all does it?

Also, and I have said this before, I dont want Richard Bruton as leader of the party, in the same way I dont want Edwin Van der Sar(A top notch goalie for you non-football fans) playing as striker. Richard Bruton is a talented financial expert. So right now I want him in Finance. James Reilly TD or to use his other title Dr James Reilly MD knows a thing or two about health so I want him in the position of Minister of Health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's not the lack of style/charisma that makes me dislike Kenny. It's that he's very soapy, and looks like if elected he will be just the same sort of gombeen as Ahern etc by giving jobs to the boys and getting elected with pure pork barrell politics.

So I would also put a premium on substance, but sadly Kenny doesn't have that either.

So your dislike of him is based completely on his appearance?

And you can tell he will succumb to cronyism, just by looking at him?

I would lose alot of respect for FG is Enda was pushed aside.

he's rode on a wave that would have happened with or without him.

A bit like Ahern, so, except that Ahern started to believe his own spin and let it get out of control.
    if the economic collapse hadn't happened, FG would still be the opposition party come the next GE.

Can I borrow that crystal ball for next Saturday's Lotto ? ;)

The passive voice of your statement re the economy has also been noted. It didn't "happen", it was caused; and it was then "let happen".

Again, that's crystal ball stuff. It's quite possible that given Noonan's previous record that he was kept on the sidelines to see what way that panned out, and Noonan has now proven that while Health wasn't within his skillset, finance certainly appears to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

if enda kenny becomes the next taoiseach im going to run for the dail myself. in all fairness the calibre of politicians in this country is so weak

paky wrote: »
    if enda kenny becomes the next taoiseach im going to run for the dail myself. in all fairness the calibre of politicians in this country is so weak

Judging by the past ten years, and most of the content in this thread...I'd argue that it is infact the electorate that or of weak calibre.

There's no denying that the calibre is weak, but why would it take Kenny becoming Taoiseach to trigger your running yourself ? Surely the last two pathetic and incompetent Taoisigh would be enough to make you do this ?

So after the election, if Enda Kenny gets in you will run for the Dail?

Do you not think thats closing the barn door after the horse has won the election?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

The reason the calibre of politician is weak because most of them are teachers and not businessmen who know how to run a business/country

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

dicknorris wrote: »
    The reason the calibre of politician is weak because most of them are teachers and not businessmen who know how to run a business/country

Exactly which businessmen would fit your description? Seanie Fitzpatrick? David Drumm? Sean Quinn? Sean Dunne? Beverly Cooper Flynn? Do you actually believe what you post or is it more populist rubbish spoken by every 'bar-stool' economists/ politicians, the length and breath of the country? Actually, quite a high % of our T.D.'s are ex publicans/ auctioneers who do have experience of running a business.

I'd go slightly against the grain on this one.

I'd have to acknowledge that some people seem to put "charisma" over substance, and that is crucifying Enda & FG.

That said, those who do that are - for the most part - the people who would have fallen for Ahern's faux charisma, and look where that got us.

So I'd actually be LESS likely to vote FG if some upstart wanted to become leader, because we'd be then dealing with someone who didn't have an impressive track record.

I only wish that people in Ireland put a premium on substance instead of (perceived) style.

+1. After watching prime time tonight ill gladly vote the FG men who backed Enda over Fianna FAIL who backed the rich greedy circle of property developers who bust this country.

I disagree.
    Alot of them have already proved themselves quit cute when it comes to their accounting and book-keeping.

deanh wrote: »
    Exactly which businessmen would fit your description? Seanie Fitzpatrick? David Drumm? Sean Quinn? Sean Dunne? Beverly Cooper Flynn? Do you actually believe what you post or is it more populist rubbish spoken by every 'bar-stool' economists/ politicians, the length and breath of the country? Actually, quite a high % of our T.D.'s are ex publicans/ auctioneers who do have experience of running a business.

To be fair. between the Irish obsession with property ownership, and our affection for drink, being either a publican or an auctioneer is not a particularly difficult job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It was businessmen that destroyed the state. The last thing we need is more self-serving **** in the Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

We're getting pretty off topic here but...

We need a blend of people with different experience in the Dáil. One of our current problems is that the Dáil is dominated by a limited group of professions/backgrounds where people have the time to build a campaign and can take an extended breaks from their normal careers with relative ease. If I took a Dáil term out of my area of work I'd be genuinely unemployable at the end of it - experience aside I'd practically need to start again.

Personally, I couldn't care less what background the Taoiseach is from so long as they provide strong decisive leadership to the government. Enda seems great a marshalling a party of backbenchers but I do have questions about his ability to lead policy direction for the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 WAFFLES10

People make me laugh, from what im reading , Enda Kenny is not, well, 'x Factor enough, well this is pathetic, surely we want a taoiseach who is more than a pretty face and a charmer for the tv cameras , perhaps a leader who can put the right people in place like nnonan on finance , and unlike say coughlan in education, or maybe a leader who sees a future for the country re, health , education, job creation, rather than a future for bankers and bailouts, im baffled that some people would throw away the future GROWTH of the country because the supposed X Factorless Kenny.

WAFFLES10 wrote: »
    People make me laugh, from what im reading , Enda Kenny is not, well, 'x Factor enough, well this is pathetic, surely we want a taoiseach who is more than a pretty face and a charmer for the tv cameras , perhaps a leader who can put the right people in place like nnonan on finance , and unlike say coughlan in education, or maybe a leader who sees a future for the country re, health , education, job creation, rather than a future for bankers and bailouts, im baffled that some people would throw away the future GROWTH of the country because the supposed X Factorless Kenny.

Absolutely. We need someone who is frugal with public expenditure and who puts the needs of every decent hard working citizen in this country before the needs of their property tycoon buddies. If Kenny can deliver on his promise to get shot of the quangos and white elephant wastes in this country then in my honest opinion the FG/Labour coalition would be a success.
    Irish people are buying into this silly personality contest too much and that's why second hand car salesmen like Bertie and Haughey thrive and make a hare of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Over here, lads. :rolleyes:

Advertisement