Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Enda stood aside

Options
  • 16-12-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Would FG win a lot more seats if they had a new leader? I personally feel if the party, or Enda won't listen that he is not popular with the people and insists carrying on as leader, what hope have we getting him to listen if they get into a power. IMO they have come up with loads of new ideas but he is so unappealable. I have emailed FG members a number of times. Maybe if people feel this way more should be done to remove him from power. I personally don't really want a left wing governement.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

femur61 wrote: »
    Would FG win a lot more seats if they had a new leader? I personally feel if the party, or Enda won't listen that he is not popular with the people and insists carrying on as leader, what hope have we getting him to listen if they get into a power. IMO they have come up with loads of new ideas but he is so unappealable. I have emailed FG members a number of times. Maybe if people feel this way more should be done to remove him from power. I personally don't really want a left wing governement.

the FG td in my constituency will not be get getting my vote for having backed enda last june , any TD who is that out of touch with the electorate does not deserve a nod , il still be voting FG though

to answer your question , YES , enda is what holds FG back from sweeping up more of the swing vote ( which won it for FF in 07 ) and disenchanted FF vote

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Of course they would get more seats. Only someone in total denial would deny that Kenny and Kenny alone is the reason loads of not only floating voters but past FG voters are planning on voting for Labour or someone else. It's beyond obvious he is a liability in this GE - and I find it amazing that he will have been opposition leader for near 9 years by the time the GE comes - surely one of the longest opposition leaders in history? He does not inspire any sort of confidence and also clearly lacks sufficient knowledge on the economy. We already have a dreadful communicator in charge so we don't need another. At least he appears honest though. But there is no point in Kenny stepping aside this near an election - frankly though FF are going to attack them and state that the majority of FG TD's and Senators voted no confidence in him so how can the country have confidence in him. Expect this to be wheeled out constantly by FF.

I believe if a better leader they could get a majority and wouldn't have to worry about a coalition with Labour. I will most likely vote for FG mainly due to their front bench, specifically Michael Noonan being comptenent - certainly more so than Labour. What I am not happy about is the prospect of a FG/Lab Coalition with Enda becoming Taoiseach, and therefor Joan Burton getting the MoF post. It would be a disaster. I would much prefer to have Richard Bruton as Taoiseach (even if he is thought far too highly of by some people) and Noonan as MoF. And if there needs to be a Labour MoF please give it to Ruarri Quinn again and NOT Moan Burton.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I would vote FG if he stepped aside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'd go slightly against the grain on this one.

I'd have to acknowledge that some people seem to put "charisma" over substance, and that is crucifying Enda & FG.

That said, those who do that are - for the most part - the people who would have fallen for Ahern's faux charisma, and look where that got us.

Kenny has proven to be a good leader for FG, acting as a manager rather than a captain, and putting both experienced performers and enthusiastic newcomers into relevant positions - the perfect examples being Varadkar and Noonan; when you can see those people talking sense then it instils far more confidence than having the leader themselves on spouting nonsense.....it's not just "a leader", it's a whole party that seems - for the most part - to have its act together.

So I'd actually be LESS likely to vote FG if some upstart wanted to become leader, because we'd be then dealing with someone who didn't have an impressive track record.

I only wish that people in Ireland put a premium on substance instead of (perceived) style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

As long as he keeps that clown Coveny in his box Enda is ok with me not that he would get my vote though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Kenny has proven to be a good leader for FG, acting as a manager rather than a captain, and putting both experienced performers and enthusiastic newcomers into relevant positions - the perfect examples being Varadkar and Noonan; when you can see those people talking sense then it instils far more confidence than having the leader themselves on spouting nonsense.....it's not just "a leader", it's a whole party that seems - for the most part - to have its act together.

So I'd actually be LESS likely to vote FG if some upstart wanted to become leader, because we'd be then dealing with someone who didn't have an impressive track record.

I only wish that people in Ireland put a premium on substance instead of (perceived) style.

+1 on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

According to "public opinion" we should have FG in power with EG as taoiseach. Nonsense really as most people vote for their local politician, and although they may express an opinion about a party leader in a poll, it's actually the numbers that count after the election. Most people voting for their local FG deputy = EK as taoiseach, and FG know this.
    In fact it will be refreshing to have a taoiseach that has integrity and honesty as his main qualities and he could manage a very fine government indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

FG will never receive a vote from me - But Enda Kenny has worked hard for the party, making it relevant once again. He, for at least his supporters should be held in high regard. My problems with Enda is that he fails to instill confidence in me, aside from the fact I don't believe in Fine Gael's vision of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I really really cannot understand people saying they would not vote for FG if Enda were to stay leader, but would if he stepped aside. He is a decent honourable man whose biggest fault is that he is quite bland. That should not matter two ****s really. As far as traits go in politicians, charisma should not be anywhere near the top. Judge FG on the front bench that they would form, not just on their leader

I'd have to acknowledge that some people seem to put "charisma" over substance, and that is crucifying Enda & FG.

That said, those who do that are - for the most part - the people who would have fallen for Ahern's faux charisma, and look where that got us.

i accept that kenny could be a good manager of talents , the problem i have with him as leader is that by him being at the front , he is denying the party ( and the country ) the chance of a fine gael goverment without labour , fine gael should have no problem getting an overall majority such is the unprecedented collapse of FF , that they ( under kenny ) seem happy enough to form a goverment with labour per usual suggests a lack of ambition for thier party and country , in times of crisis , straight ahead hard descisions need to be made , with coaliton comes compromise , backdowns and half measures

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    FG will never receive a vote from me - But Enda Kenny has worked hard for the party, making it relevant once again. He, for at least his supporters should be held in high regard. My problems with Enda is that he fails to instill confidence in me, aside from the fact I don't believe in Fine Gael's vision of Ireland.

i didnt know enda had a vision for ireland , what is it ??

I really really cannot understand people saying they would not vote for FG if Enda were to stay leader, but would if he stepped aside. He is a decent honourable man whose biggest fault is that he is quite bland. That should not matter two ****s really. As far as traits go in politicians, charisma should not be anywhere near the top. Judge FG on the front bench that they would form, not just on their leader

the country is full of decent ( and bland ) people but sadly when it comes to politics and having ambitions to lead ones country , that isnt enough , politics nowadays is superficial and very immage oritentated , kenny simply doesnt have IT , he doesnt inspire people , you claim that people vote for thier local TD based on what he or she does , thats not entirely true , a party is identified in many ways by who thier leader is , back in the day , FF had berties face plastered all over every bill board for every TD , such was the berts popularity , contrast this with the fact that biffo has never ( and never will) appeared alongside local TD,s or MEP,s at election time

most people only take a shallow passing interest in politics and as such , a party needs to have a leader who grabs thier attention , afterall , everyones vote is of equal value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

femur61 wrote: »
    I personally don't really want a left wing governement.

can you please tell me how you feel this country has benefited from having a centre right wing Govt these last 18 odd years?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

no chance of him stepping down now - he's gonna be taoiseach next and that's what he wants. Varadkar will probably take over in a few years

There's maybe a 10% chance Sinn Fein & LAbour could form a government but Enda knows the chances are FG will be the main player.

I don't believe for a second FF and labour could form one so why would enda step down now

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i didnt know enda had a vision for ireland , what is it ??

It might do you well to have a glance at their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Enda Kenny or Brian Cowen, hummmm who is more out of touch with the electorate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Enda Kenny or Brian Cowen, hummmm who is more out of touch with the electorate?

Biffo by about €65 billion plus probably about €200 more billions. :D

Mr.Micro wrote: »

Precisely. People who say they won't for FG because of Kenny stink strongly of people who want to make excuses to vote FF. Anyone has to be better than Cowen, surely?

Mr.Micro wrote: »

That's not really accurate, as Enda supports the bailout - He just wishes to re-negotiate the terms.

It might do you well to have a glance at their policies.

nothing to out of the ordinary as far as i can see considering the state of the country

• Advertisement

Cowen' party has caused the collapse. FG rejected the bailout yesterday. It's a kin to blaming everyone else other than Larry Murphy for what he did because everyone else didn't stop him. (Admittedly slightly crude but...)

who_ru wrote: »
    can you please tell me how you feel this country has benefited from having a centre right wing Govt these last 18 odd years?

i honestly dont think thier was too much idealogy at the heart of goverment this past thirteen years , buying off vested interests ( by way of a property and credit bubble ) as a means of maintaining power was thier only real plan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I agree with all of this but the sad reality is he's hurting their chances. The amount of times people have said to me they won't vote for FG with Kenny as leader is unreal. I don't agree with their reasoning but that won't change the reality of it. Bruton would change most of that I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

That's not really accurate, as Enda supports the bailout - He just wishes to re-negotiate the terms.

It's perfectly accurate because Cowen & FF are the only reason we needed the bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

How is it not accurate? Kenny supports an effort to get the country out of the hole it is in - but believes we could get a better deal. So, why not give him a shot?

It still baffles me how people I know, friends and family, would rather vote for FF over FG just because Kenny is still at the helm - the same people are still blind to the fact that Bertie was/is a self serving little 'so and so' - sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Precisely. People who say they won't for FG because of Kenny stink strongly of people who want to make excuses to vote FF. Anyone has to be better than Cowen, surely?

Totally inaccurate I will definitely not vote FF, but will probally go with FG. I hate this parish pump politics, but that is the only way to show how much FF have destroyed our country. I feel if Enda stood aside FG would win more votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

(yes I'm aware my name is also Enda...)

He should have stepped aside at the time of the last party upheaval.
    The public have no confidence in the man. He is a weak person. I have heard many stories of his dealings and handling of the people and business. He is lost in a room and has no character or charisma - he is ultimately a shy person.

He is no leader of a company, not a strong person with determination. His decisions are too deliberate and meek.

No chance the man should, but a high chance he will lead the country.
    Still with a strong minister of finance and of EntEmp, there's hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I've done a u-turn on Enda. I supported Bruton at the time, but the more I think about it, the more I think he is more suited to a ministry.

FG have a very good front bench with Noonan, Varadkar and Bruton. They, along with some of their policies, are why i will vote FG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I see it's that time of the month again, another poll, ff are doing pathetically, voters still don't like Kenny's lack of charisma, his accent, his take on economics, his party's supposed lack of policies, his party's policies, his hairstlye, his picture, whatever.

So lets have a new thread about Kenny stepping aside to let the true glorious leader of FG, whoever the hell that is, come striding forward to save the country. :rolleyes:

F*cks sake, if everyone that claims they would vote for FG if only Kenny was not the leader was to vote for FG, then I think ff would be on 0.5%, Labour on 2% and the rest scraping for 1%.

And if Enda steps aside, who then ?
    Ah yes we have Richard the financial expert.
    Except after a couple of months he will be considered aloof with no charisma, has a girly giggle and shure you can't trust him as didn't he stab poor Enda in the back.

Then what about James Reilly, oh he is good, he knows what he is on about especially health.
    Ah but wait wasn't he the chief negogiator for the doctors when they got great deal on over 70s medical cards, he has a beard and didn't he also back Kenny.
    Nah we can't have him.

What about Noonan isn't he great the way he can put lenihan in his box.
    He knows what he is on about and would be good.
    Ah but didn't he lead them before and what about his time as minister of health.

Ah but haven't FG got Leo the lionheart who will appeal to all the urban young non parish pump voters. Ah but isn't he a right wing nutjob, a doctor and not really one of us due to him not having paternal roots in this country going back to Brian Boru.

It doesn't matter if God himself was leading FG, there are people in this country that would rather vote for a donkey led ff and there are other who vote for some parties of the left, because they still for some reason see FG as wandering around with blueshirts hidden under their beds.

• Advertisement

It's perfectly accurate because Cowen & FF are the only reason we needed the bailout.

I wasn't disagreeing with that. What I mean is, they basically agree on the same measures to correct it - which is the transfer of private debt to sovereign debt.

Advertisement