Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Looking at it on raintoday i have the feeling its going to break up before it gets to us. Its snowing in Wexford again but probably will disappear when it hits our shield :mad:

Its probably going to do a 360 and hit Dublin again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Morning Gents. Bray stayed in the Anglesey snow shadow arc all day yesterday from noon onwards. After the partial thaw last night we lost half our 5 inches and with the refreeze roads and paths are now lethal.

Any chance of an inch or two today.......for the purposes if making the paths easier to walk on you understand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looking at it on raintoday i have the feeling its going to break up before it gets to us. Its snowing in Wexford again but probably will disappear when it hits our shield :mad:

Looks like the shield was in full force. We were unlucky to not even get a dusting.

Breakdown looking more and more likely now around 26th/27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Sitting in Citywest looking at clear sunny skies.

Is the snow stopped/stopping around these parts or do I need to continue praying

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looks like the shield was in full force. We were unlucky to not even get a dusting.

Breakdown looking more and more likely now around 26th/27th.

Had a feeling it would happen, looks more and more likely no decent snow from this spell for us in Waterford. Last January all over again. Its a miracle we got that lovely snow 3 weeks ago. Still a lot of the Winter to go yet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Gonna post this up knowing it wont happen

U36-594.GIF?22-06

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

6z out to T+51, looks extremely dry and cold except possible later tonight with a chance of some streamers on the east coast again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I see ME are now saying temps will only start to increase to 3 or 7 degrees on St. Stephens Day. The ECM has let them down this time but to be so confident of 7-10 degrees for Christmas Day a few days back was very naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Potential for flooding on St Stephens Day?

Melting snow + heavy rain.

gfs-2-102.png?6

Potential for flooding on St Stephens Day?

Melting snow + heavy rain.

I am glad we didn't get snow so, last Jan was bad enough when it rained after the snow. It was the closest my house ever came to being flooded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Gonna post this up knowing it wont happen

U36-594.GIF?22-06
    it's pure agony at this stage :( but as you say, still plenty of winter to go yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Beginnings of a streamer now out in the irish sea, looks like North county Dublin.

Winds due to shift a bit more north though as far a I can see so this could move south if it develops

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Ya and the IOM shadow rears it's head ;)

image.ashx?ok=1&country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭devilabit

Does anyone have accurate measurements for the amount of snow that fell in Dublin yesterday? I see that met.ie are reporting 11.8 mm at Dublin Airport so im guessing that the snow ratio is quite high, maybe 15:1. Im looking for objective reports if possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

First signs of streamers setting up on the latest met.ie radar at 11.45.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    First signs of streamers setting up on the latest met.ie radar at 11.45.

Opr

Starting early today, might be interesting later for some ( Not for Waterford of course ) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

ME's latest warning, seems they expect some snow for the North West:

Issued at 22 December 2010 - 12:20
    Severe Weather Alert Update

Air temperatures will remain well below freezing point in many areas for the rest of today, Wednesday, with ice and compacted snow persisting. Snow showers affecting northwestern and eastern counties will produce further accumulations of 2 to 5cm in places.

Valid till 19:00 22/12/2010

Streamers building up nicely according to latest hi-res satellite. Also gives a good idea of how much snow there is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

devilabit wrote: »
    Streamers building up nicely according to latest hi-res satellite. Also gives a good idea of how much snow there is...
    IOM shadow in full flow

Thats a fantastic view. Where did you get it from????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

Wow, beautiful image. Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

The source for that image is posted in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056126358

It's from NASA, and you can get it from here (Different size options on the left of that page, the 250m resolution image is pretty huge)

The source for that image is posted in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056126358

It's from NASA, and you can get it from here (Different size options on the left of that page, the 250m resolution image is pretty huge)

Yeah I just did a crop of the 250m to show those streamers. Although off topic you can get the daily feed of those images from

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The 26th certainly looks more interesting in that run :P

Just looking at the percip charts all the way from the 26th it looks like we get hammered with non stop rain for days. Could be a real problem with flooding when you couple that with all the melting snow.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

12z looks good for snow on the east coast tonight and tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

That proves that the snow gods have a serious grudge against Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sboyle

anyone know if waterford will get any snow? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

baraca wrote: »
    12z looks good for snow on the east coast tonight and tomorrow.

The 5 day forecast(ECMWF) on Met Eireann agrees:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Big differences on the models this evening. GFS brings in much milder weather from the 26th onwards. The UKMO brings in a bit of milder temperatures for the 27th but returns us to a cold continental flow by the 28th which would really limit any thaw.

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    Big differences on the models this evening. GFS brings in much milder weather from the 26th onwards. The UKMO brings in a bit of milder temperatures for the 27th but returns us to a cold continental flow by the 28th which would really limit any thaw.

Yeah the GFS is mad for the milder weather whereas the UKMO is a cold lovers dream. It may turn out that the ECM gets it right even though the UKMO has been doing well recently.

Advertisement