Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Media Forecasts and Model Output (General Chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

It may be a warm sector because no sign of a thaw anywhere else on the east coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Sea air, really? Malin Head, Valentia, Belmullet, Sherkin Island, all surrounded by sea warmer than the Irish Sea and they are all below freezing at the moment. There's obviously a small warm sector in that depression in the Irish Sea. :mad:
    I read this in the other thread, I'm not an expert so I'm probably wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Met giving snow for Waterford tonight.. I havent seen that on any of the charts at all.

What am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Siobhan Ryan now putting back thaw to Stephens Day, but you wouldn't be betting on it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Trotter wrote: »
    Met giving snow for Waterford tonight.. I havent seen that on any of the charts at all.

What am I missing?

Showers are spreading inland looking at raintoday it could be well after midnight, and the shield will prob kick in:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Are the winds not blowing off shore there rather than on shore ?
    The airflow was easterly, ie onshore, at Dublin Airport at 9 am, the temperature was -10c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The airflow was easterly, ie onshore, at Dublin Airport at 9 am, the temperature was -10c.

MT done a Q&A on irishweatheronline and gave a great reason for the rise in temps for that little while , Il post it up when mark updates it

Also the winds were very very slack then

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

MT done a Q&A on irishweatheronline and gave a great reason for the rise in temps for that little while , Il post it up when mark updates it

Also the winds were very very slack then

Is this on a forum part of IWO? Keen to know what happened etc with the milder temps, was the last thing I was thinking of tonight and was pretty shocked when it happened. Went for a walk in Lusk at about 8pm and felt quite mild altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    It may be a warm sector because no sign of a thaw anywhere else on the east coast

Not quite tipping into "Thaw" territory, but def milder (Balmy) out there a few mins ago.... and Dub airport up to +1??

Not quite tipping into "Thaw" territory, but def milder (Balmy) out there a few mins ago.... and Dub airport up to +1??

According to many reports here there was a rapid thaw in many parts of dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Showers are spreading inland looking at raintoday it could be well after midnight, and the shield will prob kick in:)

Those showers have been there all day long and haven't made if as far as Waterford City yet. I feel like they have to move somewhere sometime, hopefully in our direction.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS continues the gradual trend, keep and eye to the east.

Staying cold into Stephens day by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

What temp you showing now beast?

Good news for you Mick, Looks like Waterford is in for some fun after one looking at will it rain, Its starting in south kk allready but I dont think it will hit Waterford, Its Whats coming in from Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Is the action from Wales moving over the Irish Sea likely to bring further Snow to East Leinster tonight, and if so where's it likely to hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

i'd say gerry murphy has some cheesy grin on him reading them posts:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Is this on a forum part of IWO? Keen to know what happened etc with the milder temps, was the last thing I was thinking of tonight and was pretty shocked when it happened. Went for a walk in Lusk at about 8pm and felt quite mild altogether!
    [stickeysocks] why was there a sudden increase in temp in dublin in the last hour ?
    Peter O'Donnell: The temp increase in Dublin is from the advection of marine boundary layer (the Irish Sea is still 8-10 deg as you know) due to somewhat stronger E-NE winds around this weak low off the coast. It pushed away the land breeze from the super-cold central counties. But this is also working to create what we call a pseudo-warm front inland that will mean heavier snow inland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Likely to be shortlived I hope

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Good news for you Mick, Looks like Waterford is in for some fun after one looking at will it rain, Its starting in south kk allready but I dont think it will hit Waterford, Its Whats coming in from Wexford

Thats been there all day so ill believe it when i see it.

Cant believe the temps in Dublin now, what a surprise :D

Stop raising the hopes for Waterford! We all know it isnt going to happen, and everytime you all give me a chink of hope and then dash it again I think of not being able to reach the smarties in the shop during the great buy one get one free smartie offer of '91.

Its not going to snow in Waterford, and the smartie offer is OVER! :D:p

• Advertisement

Stop raising the hopes for Waterford! We all know it isnt going to happen, and everytime you all give me a chink of hope and then dash it again I think of not being able to reach the smarties in the shop during the great buy one get one free smartie offer of '91.

Its not going to snow in Waterford, and the smartie offer is OVER! :D:p

Gents wait and see, I have a good feeling about this one:D and on another subject the cold is going to hang on looking at the latest models

baraca wrote: »
    What temp you showing now beast?

Its a disaster baraca, the cloud cover has caused the temp to jump from -8.2 all the way up to -7.6.:(

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

just read it. very interesting read. how low do the upper 850's need to be for snow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Any chance of the conditions improving in Dublin? I have a christmas present waiting in the UPS depo in Dublin but they wont deliver because of the snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Its a disaster baraca, the cloud cover has caused the temp to jump from -8.2 all the way up to -7.6.:(

:D

Were screwed! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

-11c here and it hasnt got above -7c all day. I've never known it to be as cold. It sure hurts your face after being out for 10 mins.

We still have thick snow on the ground since Thursday/Friday. The river Lagan is mostly frozen. There were some beautiful views of the river today beside Ormeau Pk.

Love snow :)
    No so sure about the freeze :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Any chance of the conditions improving in Dublin? I have a christmas present waiting in the UPS depo in Dublin but they wont deliver because of the snow :(

The radar would suggest, and MTC also forecast, that conditions in Dublin are unlikely to improve tonight and most of tommorow. That would leave just 2 days to deliver, I can imagine the backlog will be big.
    Your in Dublin, could you collect it ?

Those showers arnt going come on land in wexford they?:rolleyes:

Hopefully some streamers will set up(like in wicklow atm) when this low shifts south.

Looking at raintoday.co.uk there's a fairly big blob of heavy snow off Carnsore point in Wexford thats tracking west right now.

Is that likely to continue across to Waterford or to break up / weaken when it hits land?

• Advertisement

Looking at raintoday.co.uk there's a fairly big blob of heavy snow off Carnsore point in Wexford thats tracking west right now.

Is that likely to continue across to Waterford or to break up / weaken when it hits land?

Looking at it on raintoday i have the feeling its going to break up before it gets to us. Its snowing in Wexford again but probably will disappear when it hits our shield :mad:

Advertisement