Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Warmer then, a thaw on the way after Thursday. Any precip. should be rain after Thurs.
    Seriously, ah nooo, hopefully it will be like last christmas, they said there would be a thaw on christmas day ,I ended up getting 2 inches of snow and there was no thaw for another 3 weeks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Pangea wrote: »
    Missed the forecast, whats christmas eve looking like?

She was saying milder conditions approx 6 deg and rain Christmas day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

roscov wrote: »
    Keep the faith brother...if you believe it will come
    Im praying as I type :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Snowing ever so lightly in Galway City now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm not giving 100% confidence on a thaw by Christmas day judging by the cold air mass. There might be a slight warming but I think the cold northerlies will be stubborn to shift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

sillybird wrote: »

She already said that ME medium term model only stretched to 7 days max yesterday. I would take a nine day forecast for the 25th as mild with as much salt as one with 2ft of snow. Its too far out to know with any real certainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 roscov

Still snowing here...I finish work tomorrow..got two fat cheques today...fridge is full of food and beer...time to settle in, grow a beard, and stay on boards. I have never been happier....YEA It's SNOOOOOOOOWING

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Will be interesting to watch the radar and satellite in next few hours, some decent formations forming to the west of Scotland as deep convection occurs in the deep cold pool.

I would expect a more widespread dusting of snow than previously anticipated.

Possible 1-2cm in the Dublin region by dawn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Out of interest, it the whole country guaranteed snow in the coming days?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sillybird wrote: »

it's a long way out. she did say present indications so the models could backtrack in the meantime. i recall last year they often backed milder weather winning out only to abandon the idea on later runs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

odd how they can show a chart for 9 days in the future when a couple of days ago they would'nt show what was coming this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

gbee wrote: »
    Picture the scene, Christmas Morning in Cork, a 6 year old boy is making his way to Mass along PANA .

There is snow a foot deep all over and as the boy crosses the road he is hit in the face and blinded by a massive snowball thrown by the Parnell Place gang.

His big friend is with him and he attacks the gang and drives them off, but the boy is crying his little heart out and shaking.

That boy cursed the gang and hated the snow, ever since there has never been snow in St Patrick Street.

That boy was ME!!!! I only remembered this today amazing.

I hope Sunbabe08 has been keeping ye all informed in my absence. Good.

So there was a White Christmas in Cork in 1910 gbee! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

To all those people here who are currently writing about the snow their local area is receiving... WHY THE HELL ARE YOU STILL INSIDE????!!! :pac:

i was out taking pictures and running around in it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

Good idea thanks, I actually didnt think of that.

I was hoping for a STAY OFF THE ROADS type reply. Ah well :)

You would just need to take the engineering works planned on the DART for the weekend into account - see http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=977

In other news, it's cold and clear in D13, not a drop or a flake in sight since it stopped raining at lunchtime. As long as it stays that way until tomorrow evening, it can do what it likes after that, as far as I'm concerned!

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Im praying as I type :)

you need to runn outside and do the snow dance!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

How does that one go again :P I need to practice:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

Wow just look at what New York is getting today.

dayafter_04.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

typhooner wrote: »
    odd how they can show a chart for 9 days in the future when a couple of days ago they would'nt show what was coming this weekend

Excellent point

How does that one go again :P I need to practice:rolleyes:

its a cross between the hakka, riverdance and the macca-raina...(it helps if you have a jedward hairstyle while dancing...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

There should be plenty of showers coming in over Connacht overnight.

However, I thought it would be a lot windier, only a light breeze out there at the moment and I am exposed on the northern side?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

In fairness, they always try to do something for christmas day a good bit in advance, everyone should realise that it will probably change.

I would if I knew how to do it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 banSHE

We GOTTA HAVE FAITH..... LESS THAN A MM OF SNOW HERE IN NE GALWAY AT MOMENT:mad:

MayoForSam wrote: »

However, I thought it would be a lot windier, only a light breeze out there at the moment and I am exposed on the northern side?
    Its quite breezy here where I am, so if it started to snow heavy,then I'd say there could be a blizzard :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Just a reminder to look in on your older or infirm neighbors during this cold/snow, see if they need anything from the shops, etc. its a lot of fun for us but not fun for them.

on another not the cat was going mad to get out, so I let her out within 20 seconds she was going mad to get back in! its getting really cold out there, take care on the roads people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

rain christmas day??

crap.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

MayoForSam wrote: »

Put your trousers back on, you'll get frost bite on it in this weather!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Did someone say Christmas thaw? ;)

bom-0-222.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

i was out taking pictures and running around in it earlier.
    Post some pics Nacho!!

• Advertisement

dacogawa wrote: »
    Just a reminder to look in on your older or infirm neighbors during this cold/snow, see if they need anything from the shops, etc. its a lot of fun for us but not fun for them.

on another not the cat was going mad to get out, so I let her out within 20 seconds she was going mad to get back in! its getting really cold out there, take care on the roads people

HEAR HEAR!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement