Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Warnings

Weather Warning

Issued at 16 December 2010 - 11:19

Update on Severe Weather

Very cold wintry weather will start today and will continue into next week with ice by day and by night.
    Snow showers developing this afternoon and continuing tonight and Friday morning. These falling mainly over Ulster and Connacht initially, but some showers will reach parts of west Munster, the Midlands and north Leinster later.
    Total accumulations up to Friday lunchtime
    5 to 10 cm over Ulster, and Connacht, worst on high ground, with possibly some drifting, but totals of 2-5 cm elsewhere.

A second more significant snow event is expected to occur during Friday afternoon, Friday night and for a time on Saturday. A band of heavy snow is expected to spread across the country from the west and northwest.
    Further totals of 10-15cm possible, with all areas at risk.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Warnings

Weather Warning

Update on Severe Weather

Very cold wintry weather will start today and will continue into next week with ice by day and by night.
    Snow showers developing this afternoon and continuing tonight and Friday morning. These falling mainly over Ulster and Connacht initially, but some showers will reach parts of west Munster, the Midlands and north Leinster later.
    5 to 10 cm over Ulster, and Connacht, worst on high ground, with possibly some drifting, but totals of 2-5 cm elsewhere.

A second more significant snow event is expected to occur during Friday afternoon, Friday night and for a time on Saturday. A band of heavy snow is expected to spread across the country from the west and northwest.

WOW - sounds very promising from ME there!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

MGMTea wrote: »
    It's Begun (epic music plays). But not for Dublin yet

It's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalways about dublin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hows this for a county monopolising the percip !
    Untitled-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Flyer1 wrote: »
    It's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalways about dublin :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Yes except for all the posts about cork and limerick etc do you have a problem with them too?. Here is a shocker for you "Dublin people concerned about the weater in Dublin". Go take that chip off your shoulder.

Dry and bright in North Dublin at the moment and still windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

leahyl wrote: »
    WOW - sounds very promising from ME there!

ME don't use the GFS model, that explains the difference between people's reactions here this morning and ME's latest warning there.

Now if the 12Z ECM is a downgrade later today then expect ME to downgrade things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i need snow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nothing too interesting here now considering how good raintoday looks, light and persistent snow but its still not sticking so guess I'll just have to wait until this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Dry and bright in Ennis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Harps wrote: »
    Heavy snow in Letterkenny!

Not sticking but I wasnt expecting it this early so cant be a bad sign

As models go, the GFS has done a great job with regards this cold front.
    I posted this last Sunday after seeing the 18z.
    Duiske wrote:
    Just from a quick look at the latest charts, Donegal is going to get some serious falls of snow from about midday Thursday.
    Only 35 minutes out.

Pity it was not as accurate with regard to the low pressure areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

Im just praying now that we get any kind off snow here in the midlands!:D

same as that Longford got bypassed except for a dusting last time out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Heavy snow in Ballybofey now
    Very cold wintry weather will start today

Meanwhile the boffins at met.ie are using the latest in "forecasting" technology.

boards.ie...F5...F5...F5...F5...F5...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Heavy rain with sleet mixed in.
    Its damn cold out there with the wind. Much much colder than at 9am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

Proper snow now!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

The NRA website has a weather page. It had two links on it up until the last bad snow/freeze but one was removed. The one removed was a map with links to all the NRA weather stations. I had saved the link as a favourite. This is the actual link and it's a handy way to see temperatures around the country.
    http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=208

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mental Mickey is Calm :P

Gerroff lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭decies

Met eireann bird Joan was on waterford local radio 5 mins ago,said the south eastern area should escape any significant snowfall till friday night ,sat morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

decies wrote: »
    Met eireann bird Joan was on waterford local radio 5 mins ago,said the south eastern area should escape any significant snowfall till friday night ,sat morning.

Sounds about right. That's when most of us should get a little bit. (Or a lot).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

26131266_640X480.jpg

A tugboat sank in the Saginaw River near the mouth of Saginaw Bay (Lake Huron) and it became completely encased in ice after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

and where is that ment to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Warnings

Weather Warning

Update on Severe Weather

That’s got we are really not sure where the snow will fall written all over it,
    I think this low is causing them some problems too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

davidsr20 wrote: »

U.S. state of Michigan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

funny that its was only this morning and last night that it got mild enough here for the last of our remaining snow to finally melt from the last cold spell altho there is still mounds of snow in places from where snow was dumped up due to clearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Donie75 wrote: »
    The NRA website has a weather page. It had two links on it up until the last bad snow/freeze but one was removed. The one removed was a map with links to all the NRA weather stations. I had saved the link as a favourite. This is the actual link and it's a handy way to see temperatures around the country.
    http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=208

http://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/default.asp?RegionId=0

Watch those temps drop !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

davidsr20 wrote: »

its a lake on the shannon up near leitrim.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

So, perhaps we should run a poll on how many people here nearly either had a coronary, or alternatively broke open a very expensive bottle of something when they read MT's forecast for today, and saw the words that are almost breathed in God like format

POLAR LOW:D:D:D

I have to admit that when I read MT's forecast, I took in a slightly deeper breath than normal and thought, "praps I did do the right thing in getting those snow chains for my vehicle", and given that it's a 4 x 4 and I got 2 sets, that wasn't an instant decision, but was based on the experiences of the last few weeks, and the thought that the NRA have had to restrict the availability of salt for road clearing. I've not needed chains in over 25 years, but this year is getting my attention, and April is a long way away yet.

Like others have reported, the cats here ( we have 2) are spooked by the way the weather is behaving, they were spooked when we had the last fall of the previous session, and are not acting normally today, the one that is usually outdoors a lot is in and out like a yoyo at the moment.

So. all you fans of extremes, are you celebrating, glued to your computers and hopping between here, raintoday.co.uk and your favourite forecast sites, or glued to the window and waiting breathlessly for the weather to change in ways beyond your wildest dreams? :D

Whichever, Be careful out there and if you can, take pictures, this might be a record breaking winter that ends up being recorded in places like Wikipedia for the future.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Rain recently enough in Galway (note Galway is not Dublin.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So, perhaps we should run a poll on how many people here nearly either had a coronary, or alternatively broke open a very expensive bottle of something when they read MT's forecast for today, and saw the words that are almost breathed in God like format

POLAR LOW:D:D:D

I have to admit that when I read MT's forecast, I took in a slightly deeper breath than normal and thought, "praps I did do the right thing in getting those snow chains for my vehicle", and given that it's a 4 x 4 and I got 2 sets, that wasn't an instant decision, but was based on the experiences of the last few weeks, and the thought that the NRA have had to restrict the availability of salt for road clearing. I've not needed chains in over 25 years, but this year is getting my attention, and April is a long way away yet.

Like others have reported, the cats here ( we have 2) are spooked by the way the weather is behaving, they were spooked when we had the last fall of the previous session, and are not acting normally today, the one that is usually outdoors a lot is in and out like a yoyo at the moment.

So. all you fans of extremes, are you celebrating, glued to your computers and hopping between here, raintoday.co.uk and your favourite forecast sites, or glued to the window and waiting breathlessly for the weather to change in ways beyond your wildest dreams? :D

Whichever, Be careful out there and if you can, take pictures, this might be a record breaking winter that ends up being recorded in places like Wikipedia for the future.

Steve

Great post:)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Sun gone in here in Galway and gone very dark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement