Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Player Xbox 360 games

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Yes_Man wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a shooter game with a long enough story mode/single player by todays standards? I found Call of Duty World at War and Modern Warfare 2 to be extremely short

Bioshock 1 or 2.

The full list of long one player games I have with my favs underlined.

Bioshock
    Lost Odyssey
    Eternal Sonata
    Tales of Vespasia
    Dragon age:Origins
    Star Ocean 4
    Ninja Gaiden 2
    Bayonetta

Mirrors edge
    FFXIII
    Command and conquer:Red alert 3
    Infinite Undiscovery
    Devil may cry 4
    Bioshock 2
    Oblivion
    Blue Dragon
    Sega Mega drive collection
    GTA4

Can anyone recommend a shooter game with a long enough story mode/single player by todays standards? I found Call of Duty World at War and Modern Warfare 2 to be extremely short

Hmmm. You could pick up the entire halo trilogy now on preowned for less than a new release title would cost you. If you haven't played that story through, as a shooter fan, you really should. Gears of war 1&2 are good too, and also mass effect 2 is supposed to be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Yes_Man

If you havent played oblivion go grab the game of the year edition and enjoy one of the best games ever*.

*may cause loss of friends and loved ones
    I agree. Quite possibly the most anti-social, anti-relationship game ever made... but you know what... you won't care cause you'll love it to death!

Considering just getting out of the dungeon at the beginning into the actual game world takes as long as most single player campaigns these days... and you've only picked your character class and race at that stage...

I remember when I crawled out of the tunnel and looked upon Oblivion's landscape for the first time, I believe my words were "Holy *hit... this is big!!!"... and it turned out to be about ten times bigger than I had thought at that stage :D

I'm scared to replay it again, as much as I want to... I can't afford to give up another 200 odd hours of my life to it... I'm not getting any younger :(

Lads I have to say that from playing Oblivion, I'm not a fan atal. I played the game for a total of 5 hours altogether and found it quite boring if I'm being honest. I never got the addicted feeling ye talked about, perhaps RPG's just are not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Lads I have to say that from playing Oblivion, I'm not a fan atal. I played the game for a total of 5 hours altogether and found it quite boring if I'm being honest. I never got the addicted feeling ye talked about, perhaps RPG's just are not for me

I got board after about 30min :D but i love fallout 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Mass Effect 1 - It's a very slow starter but it's worth persisting with it to play through the story and then go into Mass Effect 2 with your choices intact, rather than startingthe trilogy in the middle. ME2 also has some excellent dlc.
    Dragon Age: Origins, the upcoming Dragon Age 2 in March is looking sweet, and definitely Fallout New Vegas - I'm over 90 hours in and have maybe done about half the stuff in the game and I'm loving it, buggy as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Not sure if this is the right thread but:

I have a voucher for xtravision for €250 and im wondering should I buy a Xbox 360? I have a PS3 Slim and im not much of a multilayer.

It looks like most of the games for the xbox are out on the PS3 so is there any point? Would I be better off just buying PS3 games?

Also for the thread, Halo 3 and Halo Reach have great single player campaigns (also Halo 1 and 2 have even better single player modes even though there are now quiet old)

Not sure if this is the right thread but:

I have a voucher for xtravision for €250 and im wondering should I buy a Xbox 360? I have a PS3 Slim and im not much of a multilayer.

It looks like most of the games for the xbox are out on the PS3 so is there any point? Would I be better off just buying PS3 games?

Also for the thread, Halo 3 and Halo Reach have great single player campaigns (also Halo 1 and 2 have even better single player modes even though there are now quiet old)

I would say that there isnt much point getting the Xbox if u have a PS3 already, so just get PS3 games. If you get rid of the PS3 or trade it in or something then you should get the Xbox. It depends what sort of games are you into. I think give or take a few, most games are available on both consoles

I got board after about 30min :D but i love fallout 3

I just thought it was a horrible game. Played Fallout for a while but then stopped, don't actually know why. Must try and get back into that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I just thought it was a horrible game. Played Fallout for a while but then stopped, don't actually know why. Must try and get back into that

It takes a bit to get in to when you are out of the valut the game is just so big :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

40 posts about single player games and nobody mentions darksiders? I got about 30 hours out of it and it was brilliant.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    40 posts about single player games and nobody mentions darksiders? I got about 30 hours out of it and it was brilliant.

I've heard of it but I'm not familiar with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I've heard of it but I'm not familiar with it

You're best bet when looking for reviews on new games is to do a quick search/read of reviews. I use Gamespot and IGN as the main ones and Wiki it to see what the story or mechanics are like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darksiders

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/darksiderswrathofwar/index.html

Edit: Gamespot also has a handy "if you liked this" section down the left of the page.

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/objects/818/818226.html

Edit: Like Gamespot it has popular games you may like on this page too.

I just picked up an xbox this Chrimbo and got Dead Space (cos the second one is coming out soon). If there ever was a game to take the place of Resident Evil one for scares it's that. The music, the immersive gameplay the necromorphs the humanity! Ok, I'm a bit biased!

chin_grin wrote: »
    You're best bet when looking for reviews on new games is to do a quick search/read of reviews

I use gamerankings.com. It's really good and will throw up a large number of different reviews from all the reputable sites and publications for any title you search, so you can read a range of them and get a good feel for what you're thinking of buying, as well as a reliable score thats averaged from multiple sources.

I never buy a game without checking it out there first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Oh FEAR and FEAR 2 are great games (as far as I recall! Been AGES since I've played them).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Personally I couldn't stand Fallout 3, it's just oblivion all over again in a different setting. I had had enough of oblivion (plus it looks pants on the xbox).

Mafia 2, Splinter Cell conviction and red dead redemption are great, if you like story driven games. Also worth checking out are Metro 2033, Mass Effect and Gears of War 3. That' just off the top of my head. EDIT: Oh, don't forget Grand Theft Auto 4, a few years old but one of the best games in the world IMO.

Have a look at the video reviews on www.gametrailers.com for reviews of whatever you're thinking about.

Elessar wrote: »
    Personally I couldn't stand Fallout 3, it's just oblivion all over again in a different setting. I had had enough of oblivion (plus it looks pants on the xbox).

Mafia 2, Splinter Cell conviction and red dead redemption are great, if you like story driven games. Also worth checking out are Metro 2033, Mass Effect and Gears of War 3. That' just off the top of my head. EDIT: Oh, don't forget Grand Theft Auto 4, a few years old but one of the best games in the world IMO.

Have a look at the video reviews on www.gametrailers.com for reviews of whatever you're thinking about.

I would have to agree with you 100%. I found Fallout to consist of all the things I did'nt like in Oblivion. Mafia 2 and RDR are quality games. I'm picking up Splinter Cell when I'm done with Assassins Creed

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

Condemned: Criminal Origins was an overlooked gem IMHO

it was a launch title, so probably showing it's age, but a really good mix of psychological thriller and beating on hobos with a big pipe :D

I loved the way it used lighting and the fact that you were mostly out of ammo and/or outnumbered

It;'s an FPS at first glance, but cleverly reveals itself as a survival horror game as you play - and probably still the best survival horror yet made for the 360 (again IMHO!)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

I know its been a long time since the last post but I did'nt want to start a new thread. What games are people playing at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

I'm still mopping up the last few achievements in Halo Reach and I'm part way through Prince of Persia. The Missus is playing FF13 still...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

I would recommend Red Dead Redemption to anyone that has not played it, a great story and a beautiful map to explore. I would also suggest Bully Scholarship Edition, might be hard to find in store these days but you can download it from the games on demand section on the Xbox 360 Dashboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Still addicted to black ops! found halo reach a bit of a disappointment compared 2 previous versions but still well worth getting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For those who haven't played it yet, Mass Effect 2 is brilliant for wasting the hours away on (Not to Forget ME1, if you can forgive some of the bugs that were ironed out in the Sequel).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Eternal Sonata is a great RPG.

Playing Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock myself at the moment, very good single player games. Anyone got any games to recommend that havn't been mentioned already?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

just read through this thread and cannot beleive no body recommended Borderlands!!!!! YES MAN if you are still looking for lenghtly single player games get borderlands. i assume the fact that you didnt like oblivion or fallout 3 that you are not an rpg fan so i wont recommend any rpg's. heres a list of single player games i would recommend

- Borderlands (excellent fps that you could easily spend 80+hrs if you are to complete with all characters)

- the orange box (probably the best value in a box ever. fps with 5 games in one. can be bought for about 15 quid now)

- batman arkham asylum

-assassins creed 2/brotherhood

- tomb raider underworld (not the best tr game but lenghty enough campaign)

- dead space 1+2 (great survival horror games)

- resident evil 5 (probably not the longest campaign but still a great sp game)

- dead rising 1/2 (multiple endings/playthroughs means hours of gaming)

- red faction guerilla (can be bought for €5 now, a favourite of mine. hours and hours of fun)

- alan wake (not long, but a good singleplayer game)

- mafia 2 (very short camapaign, approx 12 hrs, but good none the less)

- enslaved (surprise game of last year for me, beautiful game but not lenghty)

- deadly premonition (strange game, not everyone's cup of tea but will take a while to complete)

they are just a few of my favourite sp games, hope you like some of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

One not mentioned here already is The Saboteur,an oldie but a goodie. You play an Oirish man,Sean Devlin begorrah,killing lots of nazis in wartime Paris.Borrows a lot from GTA but lots of killing and exploding and great fun.What more could you want.It also has a great view of Paris from the very top of the Eiffel Tower.You'd probably pick this one up for between 5-10 bucks and its worth every cent.

da gamer wrote: »
    just read through this thread and cannot beleive no body recommended Borderlands!!!!! YES MAN if you are still looking for lenghtly single player games get borderlands. i assume the fact that you didnt like oblivion or fallout 3 that you are not an rpg fan so i wont recommend any rpg's. heres a list of single player games i would recommend

- Borderlands (excellent fps that you could easily spend 80+hrs if you are to complete with all characters)

- the orange box (probably the best value in a box ever. fps with 5 games in one. can be bought for about 15 quid now)

- batman arkham asylum

-assassins creed 2/brotherhood

- tomb raider underworld (not the best tr game but lenghty enough campaign)

- dead space 1+2 (great survival horror games)

- resident evil 5 (probably not the longest campaign but still a great sp game)

- dead rising 1/2 (multiple endings/playthroughs means hours of gaming)

- red faction guerilla (can be bought for €5 now, a favourite of mine. hours and hours of fun)

- alan wake (not long, but a good singleplayer game)

- mafia 2 (very short camapaign, approx 12 hrs, but good none the less)

- enslaved (surprise game of last year for me, beautiful game but not lenghty)

- deadly premonition (strange game, not everyone's cup of tea but will take a while to complete)

they are just a few of my favourite sp games, hope you like some of them!

Completely forgot Borderlands, played it myself and its a blast. Shooting and Looting, a deadly combination

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I could not get into ME2 at all. It was one of the games I felt I'd missed out on.

I sold my old premium360 2 years ago and only just bought a new slim 250GB one [took advantage of Gamestop's 50%+ on trades a few weeks back, Wii + shed load of crap games traded in for €333] - so I'm playing catch up.

I got Alan Wake - great game, and one you should add to your single player list if you've not tried it. Red dead redemtion: probably the best looking game to date on the 360, I haven't got far into it yet but it is amazing. And currently enjoying L.A Noire [also a great single player game, though might be a bit on the short side]

ME2 is one for the sci-fi fans more so I would say. I just don't like that type of atmosphere.

Playing Batman Archam City at the mo (Well just stoped playing for good), I think I am the only one that just does not rate the game at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement