Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Player Xbox 360 games

Options
  • 13-12-2010 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have a bit of free time now since I have finished college for christmas and I was wondering could people recommend good single player games that they are playing at the moment or have played in the past. Ideally these games would have long story modes with hours of gaming.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Assassin's Creed 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and Red Dead Redemption all provide decent long hours of single player

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

If you havent played oblivion go grab the game of the year edition and enjoy one of the best games ever*.

*may cause loss of friends and loved ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Fallout 3 lots and lots of game play

Think ill gave a game of it now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Yes_Man

niallon wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed 2, Batman Arkham Asylum and Red Dead Redemption all provide decent long hours of single player

Ya I've played Assassin's Creed 2 and it is a quality game, ive heard of BAA and RDR and they seem to be getting good reviews so I will check them out, thanks

If you havent played oblivion go grab the game of the year edition and enjoy one of the best games ever*

I have never come across that game before, what type of a game is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

If you havent played oblivion go grab the game of the year edition and enjoy one of the best games ever*.

*may cause loss of friends and loved ones

I agree. Quite possibly the most anti-social, anti-relationship game ever made... but you know what... you won't care cause you'll love it to death!

Considering just getting out of the dungeon at the beginning into the actual game world takes as long as most single player campaigns these days... and you've only picked your character class and race at that stage...

I remember when I crawled out of the tunnel and looked upon Oblivion's landscape for the first time, I believe my words were "Holy *hit... this is big!!!"... and it turned out to be about ten times bigger than I had thought at that stage :D

I'm scared to replay it again, as much as I want to... I can't afford to give up another 200 odd hours of my life to it... I'm not getting any younger :(

• Advertisement

Yes_Man wrote: »

I have never come across that game before, what type of a game is it?

To be honest no matter what i tell you wont do justice to the game but ill try. Your basically a character set in a fantasy land called cyrodill. You create a character at the beginning based around 3 classes mage warrior or stealth/archer. You can be all three at once if you plan it well but thats for replays really. You can join an assortment of guild such as the mages, the thieves the fighters and the dark brotherhood(assassins). Its all very immersive for example if you kill someone in cold blood you will be contacted by the assassins when your asleep. It has incredibly detailed scenery and dungeons and the quests are always quite fun.

Seriously i suck at describing things but i have accumulated nearly 500 hours on this game with replays. If you dont buy this game you are missing out on a masterpiece. I think you can get it together with bioshock 1 as a collection so if you havent played it either you must go get it now. I would also highly recommend dragon age origins but you have to play oblivion first. God i really shouldnt be taking about the precious during exams.

Curse you Yes_Man:mad:

To be honest no matter what i tell you wont do justice to the game but ill try. Your basically a character set in a fantasy land called cyrodill. You create a character at the beginning based around 3 classes mage warrior or stealth/archer. You can be all three at once if you plan it well but thats for replays really. You can join an assortment of guild such as the mages, the thieves the fighters and the dark brotherhood(assassins). Its all very immersive for example if you kill someone in cold blood you will be contacted by the assassins when your asleep. It has incredibly detailed scenery and dungeons and the quests are always quite fun.

Seriously i suck at describing things but i have accumulated nearly 500 hours on this game with replays. If you dont buy this game you are missing out on a masterpiece. I think you can get it together with bioshock 1 as a collection so if you havent played it either you must go get it now. I would also highly recommend dragon age origins but you have to play oblivion first. God i really shouldnt be taking about the precious during exams.

Curse you Yes_Man:mad:

Sounds like an epic game, after that description im going to have to check it out, thanks!! Has the game been out long? I expect you could pick it up cheep enough second hand?

It was released in 2006 but there was a series of expansions released as well namely the knights of the nine and the shivering isles. These come included on the game of the year addition. Its a 2 disc set so you install the expansions on your hard drive so if you borrow it of someone you can get the expansions for free you still need an original copy though. Id recommend the bioshock/oblivion combo, 2 of the best games for the xbox. Its actually crazy how good of a deal the combo is. If you live in dublin i can lend you the expansion pack to update your game sometime if you cant get a copy of it.

I was just looking up eBay and found a similar deal, making the purchase as we speak :D Thanks for that offer but I'm living down in Tipperary. Btw how do you thank someone for their post, I'm new to this thing haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

I was just looking up eBay and found a similar deal, making the purchase as we speak :D Thanks for that offer but I'm living down in Tipperary. Btw how do you thank someone for their post, I'm new to this thing haha

When you have a certain amount of posts yourself (it might just be 10, but I'm open to correction on that) you will start to see a thumbs up button like this (post_thanks.gif) beside posts, and you can click that to thank.

Make sure you come back and thank this one when you have enough :P

cython wrote: »
    When you have a certain amount of posts yourself (it might just be 10, but I'm open to correction on that) you will start to see a thumbs up button like this (post_thanks.gif) beside posts, and you can click that to thank.

Make sure you come back and thank this one when you have enough :P

Ah right thanks for that, I will give you your thumbs up in due course.... Newb's haha

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

How has noone mentioned Mass Effect 1 + 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Gooch2k4 wrote: »

Seconded! Playing through ME2 at the moment, 40 hours in and I'm still in the 1st third of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Its so epic, simply cant wait for ME3!

Could you give me a bit of info on that game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Could you give me a bit of info on that game?

Mass Effect 1/2 is a 3rd person Sci-Fi RPG where your choices effect the storyline. The 1st Mass Effect is a slightly flawed gem but a gem none the less.The 2nd is more action orientated with gears of war feel gameplay.Both have huge replay value.I'd recommend the Orange Box,BioShock, Dead Space,Assassins creed 2/Brotherhood, Batman Arkham Asylum,Red Dead Redemption, Crackdown,Fable II/III & Bayonetta as good single player games

GTR63 wrote: »
    Mass Effect 1/2 is a 3rd person Sci-Fi RPG where your choices effect the storyline. The 1st Mass Effect is a slightly flawed gem but a gem none the less.The 2nd is more action orientated with gears of war feel gameplay.Both have huge replay value.I'd recommend the Orange Box,BioShock, Dead Space,Assassins creed 2/Brotherhood, Batman Arkham Asylum,Red Dead Redemption, Crackdown,Fable II/III & Bayonetta as good single player games

Thanks for that, I'm going to check out all of those games. It's amazing the amount of games I hav'nt heard of before, must get back into it now over christmas

Anyone played Just Cause 1 or 2? From what I've read the second one seems to be getting good reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

GTR63 wrote: »

I ended up trading in ME1 coz i just never got into it and for this reason I never got ME2.

If I didnt like ME1, is there any chance i'll get into ME2??

Oh and Red Dead Redemption will keep you occupied for hours in single play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I ended up trading in ME1 coz i just never got into it and for this reason I never got ME2.

If I didnt like ME1, is there any chance i'll get into ME2??.

Mass Effect 2 is far more polished they fixed the cover based shooting & removed the Mako vehicle sections.If you like Gears I can't see why you wouldn't like ME2.

Anyone played Just Cause 1 or 2? From what I've read the second one seems to be getting good reviews

Its nice to look at and its a massive map but there is not alot to them games. They get very repetitive after a few hours. The missions are all the same and after a while you just get fed up of having to fly or drive miles just to get to a mission. It plays very well though and the character is very responsive to your commands which allows you to do some crazy stunts but, for me anyway, it wasnt enough to make it a great game. Im not saying ignore it if its cheap just wont go out of my way to buy. Thats just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Saints row 2:- It's the game Grand theft Auto wishes it was

Batman Arkham Asylum. if you don't think that game is awesome, then you need awesome lessons.

Loads to do, lots of cool side quests and riddles to find, excellent challenge modes with stealth challenges that you'll come back to for ages, lots of free DLC if you have an XBL account, and best of all it's CHEAP.

I got it brand new a few weeks ago on play.com for €13 delivered, but you can pick it up on the classics label or pre-owned for pretty cheap if you look in a few shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Definitely, big + 1. I never got into any game(s) on the 360 as much as Mass Effect 1 & 2. Truly Epic.

Red Dead Redemption and its add on Undead Nightmare are brilliant too.

Its nice to look at and its a massive map but there is not alot to them games. They get very repetitive after a few hours. The missions are all the same and after a while you just get fed up of having to fly or drive miles just to get to a mission. It plays very well though and the character is very responsive to your commands which allows you to do some crazy stunts but, for me anyway, it wasnt enough to make it a great game. Im not saying ignore it if its cheap just wont go out of my way to buy. Thats just my opinion though.

That reminds me of the first Assassins Creed game..... nice to look at and enjoyable for a few hours but became very repetitive, had no real substance to it. However, the idea was good and they have refined it magnificently in the two sequals it must be said

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

is brother hood a good single player game? want to get my bro it for christmas but he doesnt have b/band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

is brother hood a good single player game? want to get my bro it for christmas but he doesnt have b/band.

TBH it's not as much fun as AC2. Combat is improved a small bit, the citys are horribly boring compared to AC2 where there was so much variety and detail. ACB has far too much of that boring "Renovate this blah blah blah", and instead of just buying armor and weapons, now you have to complete boring "Collect X Y and Z" miniquests to unlock stuff.

But yeah, the single player is the main part, the multiplayer is really just a bonus(Least I hope it is, because it's terrible). Bottom line it's worth buying as a single player game.

That reminds me of the first Assassins Creed game..... nice to look at and enjoyable for a few hours but became very repetitive, had no real substance to it.

I'll probably get slated for this, but i thought red dead redemption was more or less the same. Nice to look at, beautiful scenery and stuff, but the only real things to do are in the towns, there's way too much trekking around empty wastelands between them with little or nothing to do, and all the missions get way too repetitive. After a while it's just ride for ages to get here, kill this guy, get money, ride for ages to bring it there.

RDR was very like GTA4 in that the combat/HUD/shooting/cover system was copy/pasted in by rockstar and was kind of weak and let the game down a bit, but unlike GTA4 there's no variation in the scenery, there's nothing else to play around with to make up for the lacklustre combat, and the action moved way too slowly.

I got bored with it midway through, which is rare for me.

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend a shooter game with a long enough story mode/single player by todays standards? I found Call of Duty World at War and Modern Warfare 2 to be extremely short

Advertisement