Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDs harassed on their mobiles over the weekend, have you any sympathy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

hondasam wrote: »
    The work for the people and should take all calls IMO.

You still don't get it.

That's the problem with our politics.

Politicians SHOULD NOT be answering every Tom Dick and Harry's phonecall.

They should be regulating the banks, keeping law and order, managing the day to day running of the country. Sorting out the public service. Organising the system so that you get stuff you're entitled to and you're told to f off if you don't.

If they did this right there would be no need to ring them or call into them to "arrange" little Johnny's grant application or Mary's medical card. This is called CORRUPTION and is not how a modern democracy should work.

It makes my blood boil that you need to talk to your local TD to get anything done. It's pathetic. That's why we have 166 TDs. We need 30-40 competent TD's to run this country properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

If you want to contact a politician directly, all their e-mails are provided on the Houses of the Oireachtas website.

To ensure that you get a response, you should also include your home address.

Many of them do actually respond.

Abusive text messages are just pointless.

yes and I'm sure the politicians who are too busy to do anything right have all the time in the world to read their emails,

can you see willie o dea or jackie Healy Rae working their emails. a pen and paper would be too much for these gombeens

a txt or 2 and a phonecall did in fact get straight to the intended target so all in all the leak was a job well done

let's hope it happens again and keeps happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Elevator wrote: »
    yes and I'm sure the politicians who are too busy to do anything right have all the time in the world to read their emails,

can you see willie o dea or jackie Healy Rae working their emails. a pen and paper would be too much for these gombeens

a txt or 2 and a phonecall did in fact get straight to the intended target so all in all the leak was a job well done

I have written by e-mail to & have been responded to, by many TDs and members of the Seanad.

In that sense, it is worthwhile.

So, what exactly did you achieve, beyond venting some anger?

I have written by e-mail to & have been responded to, by many TDs and members of the Seanad.

In that sense, it is worthwhile.

So, what exactly did you achieve, beyond venting some anger?

nothing only shameless anger venting at particular individuals and tbh it felt good,'it felt more than good actually,'it felt great to tell them exactly how I was feeling and I would do it again no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

nothing only shameless anger venting at particular individuals and tbh it felt good,'it felt more than good actually,'it felt great to tell them exactly how I was feeling and I would do it again no problem

Well I'm glad it gave you a nice warm feeling inside, but back in reality.... nothing has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭deisedude

So basically you called them to tell them they are **** at their job? Thats idiotic and petty

deisedude wrote: »
    So basically you called them to tell them they are **** at their job? Thats idiotic and petty

Funny I would have thought in a democracy that is what politicians are there for. To like listen to people and stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ok... so why do you need to wait for a phone number to be released, wouldn't you get much more of a great feeling going to their consituency office and having a bit of a rabble rabble rabble to'em there?

I wonder how many of the texters actually voted in the last election ?

And of those, how many voted for FF ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

So, you had to wait until someone leaked TDs phone numbers before you actually did something to make your voice heard?

What was stopping you from doing this before?

Are you too lazy to look up their e-mail addresses or to visit you locally elected TDs office? Do you not have the mental capacity to think for yourself & to actively do something about it?

Your form of protest was pointless in that it will achieve absolutely nothing beyond costing the taxpayer even more money.

You should post this over in the "What's the most retarded thing you've done?" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭deisedude

ronoc wrote: »
    Funny I would have thought in a democracy that is what politicians are there for. To like listen to people and stuff.

Really? My definition of democracy mentions nothing about politicians having to listen to abusive phonecalls

You should post this over in the "What's the most retarded thing you've done?" thread.

LOL .... brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

humanji wrote: »
    Exactly. All TD's will have to get their numbers changed and it'll cost us, not them. All for the sake of hurling abuse and achieving nothing. Well done Elevator, stick it to the man by punching yourself in the face. Actually reminds me of that scene in Four Lions.

last time I checked .....it didnt cost me anything to change my number - pick up a sim-pack ...but then again.... these are government ministers ...I'm sure the mobile companies will have to put in proposals for new numbers for the ministers ....so the government can spend the most money on new numbers ....just to show us who's in charge !!

to be fair - plenty of politicians have their mobile number available for local constituents who need contact ASAP - it is/was childish in my opinion of people to "air their opinions" ....especially those that did it under a "private number" ...if you want to express your opinions on how a politician is performing why not do it to their face and at the next election !!!

Ok... so why do you need to wait for a phone number to be released, wouldn't you get much more of a great feeling going to their consituency office and having a bit of a rabble rabble rabble to'em there?

I'd only be arrested if i came face to face with them,

also I haven't the money to travel around after Mary caughlan, willie o dea etc etc so I can be lied to to my face

make no mistake these fcukers don't have a notion how to run a country successfully but they can lie thru their teeth to keep up the game of bollixing around for years at a time collecting money at every turn and then worry about votes at the end of it all by promising the sun moon and stars like b4

deisedude wrote: »
    Really? My definition of democracy mentions nothing about politicians having to listen to abusive phonecalls

They are public representatives and part of that is listening to the less lucid and calm members of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

typical response there mate

look at my post again

it wasn't me hiding myself from them but the over way around

in fairness it shows the level of intelligence in the politics here when they receive a txt from someone who clearly has their number, so the block their number when ringing me back

Thanks sweet cheeks, but I'm pointing out to those who think it's a great idea and think they'll get away with it that they can be traced. So all those who sent death threats will be shortly getting a knock on their door.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    to be fair - plenty of politicians have their mobile number available for local constituents who need contact ASAP

What possible reason could you have to need to be able to ring your politician ASAP that is more important than the problems our country has at the moment or that couldn't be handled by some other government body / civil servant ????

ronoc wrote: »
    They are public representatives and part of that is listening to the less lucid and calm members of the public.

Bull****. Do you see Barack Obama or any credible politicians doing this anywhere else ?

So, you had to wait until someone leaked TDs phone numbers before you actually did something to make your voice heard?

What was stopping you from doing this before?

Are you too lazy to look up their e-mail addresses or to visit you locally elected TDs office? Do you not have the mental capacity to think for yourself & to actively do something about it?

Your form of protest was pointless in that it will achieve absolutely nothing beyond costing the taxpayer even more money.

I have protested, have taken bull**** from politicians on the street over Lisbon 2,

I have emailed, rang and mildly harassed some politicians

I have been asked to become involved in certain political campaigns but to be honest i find politics way too much a dark force for me to become involved in

I wouldnt last pissin time in the game b4 I'd lose the rag and do myself or someone damage.

politics is dirty to the core and the problem here isn't about txting the ****ers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd only be arrested if i came face to face with them,

hahahahahahahahaha*breaths*hahaha
    also I haven't the money to travel around after Mary caughlan, willie o dea etc etc so I can be lied to to my face

make no mistake these fcukers don't have a notion how to run a country successfully but they can lie thru their teeth to keep up the game of bollixing around for years at a time collecting money at every turn and then worry about votes at the end of it all by promising the sun moon and stars like b4

I didn't make "no mistake," but I think you've failed to grasp the notion of what you are proposing. Making harrassing phone calls and sending threatening text messages won't make a blind bit of difference. It won't change what happened over the last 3 years, or revert the actions that caused the problems over the last 8 - 12 years or even bring in measures to fix our politically inspired problems over night.

By taking these actions and being a part of that "mob" you are adding nothing constructive at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

professore wrote: »
    What possible reason could you have to need to be able to ring your politician ASAP that is more important than the problems our country has at the moment or that couldn't be handled by some other government body / civil servant ????

ah you know ... the usual - :rolleyes: - talk to the gardai to get off speeding fines or other offences, get a letter drafted up to give a good character reference before the courts...... a couple of land areas need to be rezoned...politicians can make it happen !!! (at least they could in the past)

Everyone needs to have a good relationship with their local councillor/TD

Bull****. Do you see Barack Obama or any credible politicians doing this anywhere else ?

Well if you look across the water to the UK who have a similar parliamentary democracy to us a sizeable portion of the MPs time is spent in constituency work or clinics.
    This mostly consists of the village attention seekers bending the MPs ear on various issues.

humanji wrote: »
    Thanks sweet cheeks, but I'm pointing out to those who think it's a great idea and think they'll get away with it that they can be traced. So all those who sent death threats will be shortly getting a knock on their door.

i was careful so as to not threaten anyone, or liable myself either

the cute hoors are smart enough to know when they can do ya for crossing a line.

I was angry enough to send them txts from my personal phone which is more than can be said for them.

I cannot believe the sympathy given to these absolute bastards and that there are people still believing "the pen is mightier than the sword"

give me a break,'Mary harness announces there's no money for cancer vaccine yet a few weeks later a new 10 miles stretch of road signed off for €10m, a few more weeks and there was suddenly €50m+ found when the pork got contaminated

these parasites should be kicked up and down the fcuking streets

Hugo Chavez? people can say what they like about the guy and some of it maybe right but he doesn't roll over to the yanky overlords!!

he does a slot on telly once a week answering questions from the public!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

You'v talked about how dissatisfied you are with the performance of our politicans and thats fair enough. But you'v gone out of your way to disturb them from their work. How are they supposed to get any work done if they're continuously abused down the phone by the likes of yourself? How can they differenciate between an important work related call, and one from the likes of yourself? Im not defending the record politicans in this country, however sending abusive texts/making abusive calls is cowardly and childish, if you have a problem with them make your point either by letter/email or face to face. Dont be hiding behind annonomity and acting the hard man, keyboard warrior style

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

My wife, my kids and myself are going to harassed with the bailout they have put on our heads for years/decades!

If anyone thinks I'm bothered for a few hours over their bloody phone... Not a ruddy chance!
    Frankly, I know where I'd like to shove their phones!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

so it's come out about our beloved tds, meps etc received many phonecalls and txts after a leak of their private numbers last weekend.

those of you who got txts from me fcuking deserved them!

I wasn't the least bit surprised with the sudden barrage of private numbers that started calling fairly quick after that, oh and private numbers putting a 5 in front of my mobile number so as to by straight to my voicemail (how smart of some of you hahaha)

how do you feel about it and did you get to send any seasons greetings yourself?

Sternly worded text messages, there's nothing worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I can't believe that people have a problem with the public contacting their Public Representatives.

Fair enough, abusive texts are not a good idea - but I fail to see any reason why someone cannot contact their TD, and air their views.

If an employee fails to do their job, their employer tends to tell them so - why are TDs supposedly exempt?

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm surprised at this story

Lots of public reps have their mobile phone number available on their leaflets and their website. Some have their home phone number too

And now suddenly they've been leaked?
    Realy, it's been public knowledge for years

Unless some have other private numbers maybe, I'm not sure

Anyway it takes a thick skin to stand for election and a very strong chance of public rejection. Most fail in their first election.
    They wouldn't be bothered over text messages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I'm all for it OP, **** them.

Advertisement