Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate people who diss Arts

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Wow you're ****ing hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Wow you're ****ing hilarious.

Hey no one forced you to choose that course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 amadan1993

x43r0 wrote: »
    What about the BComm w/ Spanish/German/French/Italian? Or the law courses of a similar nature?

yes but a language solely? many just want the language.. or like i said two languages..

And anyway, anybody who thinks getting a degree in French at college is easy are sadly mistaken.. there is a big drop out rate apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

People who diss arts are failing to see the bigger picture. Alot of "degree" courses out there are a sham. If the degree is not hard, it ain't worth doing. 3 year social sciences or whatever isn't going to increase your chances of landing a job by much. You need to sell yourself in an interview. Pieces of paper can only go so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I hate people who are like this. What the **** is wrong with them. Ok, fair enough with an Arts degree you might find it difficult to get employment but that doesnt mean it is an easy course. Maybe they should see what its like to do all those essays.

Try Engineering if you want to experience the defintion of "Hard". Arts is a piece of piss in comparison. 60+ hour weeks generally aren't a staple of most Arts courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Currently a masters student in an engineering program in UCC.

I think a lot of the hate thrown at arts students is due to how few hours they have. There's a stupid sense of superiority among science and engineering against arts and business students in general I think.

Don't really get it myself, i would have loved to have done arts and french in particular, can see myself going back in a few years once i have some moolah maybe.

Arts is fine, people need to chill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

My theory is that Arts students are an easy target to slag because theres so many of them. You wouldnt slag one of your friends who was only able to get into any other course where the points were relatively low, but its ok to slag Arts because theres so many doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

There are a lot of people who are arguing that there is a lot of reading time etc needed in Arts to try to make up for the fact that there are only 12 hours per week on average.

The so called harder subjects also need reading time, just because someone goes to 35-40 hours of engineering lectures a week doesn't mean that they do not need reading time. The opposite in fact. Therefore, Arts is perceived as easy in comparison to these course, and rightly so. But then, when you finish engineering you are a qualified engineer, so it rightly should be more difficult.

Arts is a relatively easy course, I believe that it is an extension of secondary school (like it or not)......but, it is essential if you are to go on to do a huge amount of careers (teaching, cival service etc etc). And for that reason I wouldn't diss it. On it's own it isn't worth a lot, but it is a great backbone for future study and I would not diss it for those who are in it for the right reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭basillarkin

daddydick wrote: »
    There are a lot of people who are arguing that there is a lot of reading time etc needed in Arts to try to make up for the fact that there are only 12 hours per week on average.

The so called harder subjects also need reading time, just because someone goes to 35-40 hours of engineering lectures a week doesn't mean that they do not need reading time. The opposite in fact. Therefore, Arts is perceived as easy in comparison to these course, and rightly so. But then, when you finish engineering you are a qualified engineer, so it rightly should be more difficult.

Arts is a relatively easy course, I believe that it is an extension of secondary school (like it or not)......but, it is essential if you are to go on to do a huge amount of careers (teaching, cival service etc etc). And for that reason I wouldn't diss it. On it's own it isn't worth a lot, but it is a great backbone for future study and I would not diss it for those who are in it for the right reasons.
    Including tutorials there are around 22hours a week in arts.

Granted, but most people go to only 50% of lectures and can manage to pass the course so 12 hours on average isn't too far off the mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Arts is a relatively easy course

Again it comes down to subjectivity. I know math whizzkids and engineering students who would find studying sociology, my major, pretty difficult. When it comes to their subject though, or anything math related (I'm mathematically illiterate by the way), then they're on the top of their game. Everyone should just do what they want and stop with the snobbery.

There are dickheads across all academic spectrums and there are also idiots across all academic spectrums too. They aren't confined to one place. In my own experience 90% of people are morons but then again i've very little faith in the average person in general.

And besides, shouldn't we all be focused on the main issue, which is how crap C.I.T is?? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Granted, but most people go to only 50% of lectures and can manage to pass the course so 12 hours on average isn't too far off the mark

That's hardly a serious point you're making is it?

There are people in every single university course in the country who skip a lot of their lectures and still manage to pass, so that has no relevance to whether arts is an easy course or not.

Also, I think you may have pulled your statistics out of thin air there.

There are people in every single university course in the country who skip a lot of their lectures and still manage to pass, so that has no relevance to whether arts is an easy course or not.

Wasn't there a S.U Presidential candidate last year who wanted to lower the minimum threshold for lectures that medical students had to attend, from 65% to 50% or something?

Of course it is a serious point.

I've been through the mill, undergrad, postgrad and two sets of professional exams and I can say without fear of hesitation that Arts is an easy course to take.

If people can afford not to go to 50% of there lectures (people I lived with in college) and do damn all study before the end of year exams and still pass the year then the course is easy to pass.

It may not be easy to get a 1.1 in but what course is? For those who get 1.1's fair play, you've obviously worked hard to get this grade. But there is no denying that Arts is an easy course to sit back, relax and pass in order tog et a degree.

Also, yes obviously the figure is pulled out of thin air but I'm hardly in a position to do research as to what the actual percentage is...but from my time 50% seems about right.

Can we close the thread now??? It's a pointless slagging match at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

Of course it is a serious point.

I've been through the mill, undergrad, postgrad and two sets of professional exams and I can say without fear of hesitation that Arts is an easy course to take.

If people can afford not to go to 50% of there lectures (people I lived with in college) and do damn all study before the end of year exams and still pass the year then the course is easy to pass.

It may not be easy to get a 1.1 in but what course is? For those who get 1.1's fair play, you've obviously worked hard to get this grade. But there is no denying that Arts is an easy course to sit back, relax and pass in order tog et a degree.

Also, yes obviously the figure is pulled out of thin air but I'm hardly in a position to do research as to what the actual percentage is...but from my time 50% seems about right.

"The plural of anecdote is not data."

There are people in my course, maths, who skip at least 50% of our lectures and leave assignments to the very last minute and so on but still manage to pass the year. That doesn't mean that the course is easy though.

My point is that that's a feature of every course. There will always be people who don't bother or don't need to go to lectures, no matter what the subject may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Byron85 wrote: »
    And besides, shouldn't we all be focused on the main issue, which is how crap C.I.T is?? :D;)

Circle the wagons!! :D
    Byron85 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a S.U Presidential candidate last year who wanted to lower the minimum threshold for lectures that medical students had to attend, from 65% to 50% or something?

I believe it was from 70% to 50%, and Keith's now SU president. :eek: I doubt he would*get far with such an appeal though. In that particular case the University authorities would be well justified in just telling him to feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

First year engineering here, 32hrs in total. What I would actually be interested in knowing is how much evening work is done by each type of students, but unless a formal study has been done on the matter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 telboy

Q: What do you call 10 Arts graduates standing behind a counter.
    A: McDonalds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

telboy wrote: »
    Q: What do you call 10 Arts graduates standing behind a counter.
    A: McDonalds!

*sigh*

I guess any hopes of a reasonable and meaningful discussion have evaporated by now...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement