Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! 12 Pub survival tips

Options
  • 11-12-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I'm doing 12 pubs later today. 12 pints of Guinness in 6 hours.

Anyone done it before and have any tips to:

A) survive the night
    B) be able to function tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

1) man up
    2) there is no 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Cheat and drink glasses instead of pints . . .:P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep eating throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Cheat and drink glasses instead of pints . . .:P

Drinking glass is worse than drinking Guinness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Keep drinking water in between a number of pints.
    Alcohol dehydrates and this is the source that eventually creates/adds to hangovers.
    Have a good meal beforehand, something on neutral Ph scale (not acidic or base) and that will help absorb the liquid and effect its rate of breakdown over a period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Biggins wrote: »
    Have a good meal beforehand, something on neutral Ph scale (not acidic or base)

What is an example of something on neutral Ph scale? Say a big bowl of pasta?

I have heard some old wives tale that drinking a glass of buttermilk before drinking alcohol reduces the absorbtion of alcohol in you blood. Is that true?

PH4T wrote: »
    What is an example of something on neutral Ph scale? Say a big bowl of pasta?

I have heard some old wives tale that drinking a glass of buttermilk before drinking alcohol reduces the absorption of alcohol in you blood. Is that true?

Not sure about pasta (don't eat it) but yes, something like that.
    Avoid spicy items for example, completely.
    Avoid if possible salad creams etc, as they put a lining on the inner stomach to an extent and this adversely effects absorption.
    I in my collage days used to use a trick of eating loads of plain quarter pounders beforehand, if I wasn't able to get home and make myself something. It helped big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Eat a big meal about 2 hours before hand, give yourself time to digest it before drinking or you will be too full. Roast chicken, veg, spuds and gravy or something like that.

I'd say buttermilk would turn your stomach drinking it and it has no real benefits, best to just eat plenty for absorbtion and have the odd glass of water.

Have fun you lucky git, would love to be heading to the pub for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

There is no easy way. You're ****ed whatever you try (water etc.) :)

12 pints of beer is just not meant to be consumed in one night. Especially Guinness! heh

You will be pushing for a 10lbs baby boy of African decent in the mornin. Then come the sweats...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

have 12 shots of jameson instead

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Why do you feel you have to drink beyond your limits? Try 6 pints instead and have some water in between. Get merry, be able to remember the night tomorrow, and don't cover yourself or others in puke or end up in hospital where the taxpayer will have to foot the bill because that 11th guinness was just so goddamned tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Why do you feel you have to drink beyond your limits? Try 6 pints instead and have some water in between. Get merry, be able to remember the night tomorrow, and don't cover yourself or others in puke or end up in hospital where the taxpayer will have to foot the bill because that 11th guinness was just so goddamned tempting.

And Santa doesn't exist......ba humbug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Drink 2 pints of water before going to bed.

Eat a decent meal before going out, and eat again sometime during the night.

Stop drinking when you have had enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm doing 12 pubs later today. 12 pints of Guinness in 6 hours.

Anyone done it before and have any tips to:

A) survive the night
    B) be able to function tomorrow
    My advice is to not do it, because it sounds like the most pointless exercise imaginable.

Seriously, 12 pubs in 6 hours, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

How do you know 12 pints is beyond his limit? 12 pints spaced over the course of a long day with food inbetween is easily managable without any of the mess you mentioned.

Edir: Oops forgot the 6 hours bit, ya could turn messy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That the OP is asking "how to survive" might be a clue. 12 pints is a lot over 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Ye but that's no fun.

If you're going to have a meal make sure you have enough time to digest it properly. Guiness is heavy enough as it is, don't need a stomach full of Guiness and undigested food, you'll just feel sick because you're throwing drink into yourself.

From experience the easiest way to do it is try to get through your pint fast, 10-15 minutes or so and then you have more time to let it clear through. Works for some, others it just leaves them in the jacks. The 12 pubs of Christmas is supposed to be messy, some drop, some throw up, some end up in the 1 pub for the rest of the night. Just enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Just use some common sense, you know how much drink you can handle, I personally know I'd be puking everywhere if I tried that before I even got to my 12th pint.

The visiting 12 pubs sounds like a laugh but you don't have to have a pint in every one. You should know your body well enough to know how many you can handle before your body says 'fuck this'.

No point in ruining what could be a good session by insisting on making yourself sick and feel like crap :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'm about to do one myself today. Just gonna take it handy and drink the odd glass of water between smithwicks. A burger wouldn't go amiss either. Can't wait for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

12 pints of Guinness? That's crazy. Guinness completely loses its appeal after the 3rd pint. Would be more worried about the endurance test of having to drink Guinness all night. Smelly farts for you tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

Why would you want to drink 12 pints of guiness in one day? Stick to six pints and watch everyone else around you get horribly drunk and sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

The 12 pints of Guinness is the easy part,what I find the worst thing about drinking Guinness in 2 or 3 different pubs is the quality can vary and that's worse than drinking too much of it.
    I also agree with making sure the pint is gone after about 20 minutes and maybe leave 10 minute intervals between pints,nothing worse than a stale Guinness;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'd say you're great craic on a night out :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

make yourself puke after the first 5 or 6, make some space for the rest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    12 pints of Guinness? That's crazy. Guinness completely loses its appeal after the 3rd pint. Would be more worried about the endurance test of having to drink Guinness all night. Smelly farts for you tomorrow.

This all day. I've started to cut off the guinness after 3 pints now and I enjoy it a lot more. It's a drink to be had in moderation for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

From someone who is just out of bed having done the 12 pubs last night, I'll say one thing...the odd pint water is your friend!!!!

It's great craic, so enjoy!!! :)

RMD wrote: »
    From experience the easiest way to do it is try to get through your pint fast, 10-15 minutes or so and then you have more time to let it clear through. .

That's a good idea. Or maybe it's a terrible idea :confused:

Sisko wrote: »
    Just use some common sense, you know how much drink you can handle, I personally know I'd be puking everywhere if I tried that before I even got to my 12th pint.

The visiting 12 pubs sounds like a laugh but you don't have to have a pint in every one. You should know your body well enough to know how many you can handle before your body says 'fuck this'.

No point in ruining what could be a good session by insisting on making yourself sick and feel like crap :confused:

The challenge is you do have a pint in every pub. Rounds system. So a different lad in each pub orders a round fo Guinness for everyone.

• Advertisement

The challenge is you do have a pint in every pub. Rounds system. So a different lad in each pub orders a round fo Guinness for everyone.
    I hate this "rounds" crap.
    Its based on the stupid assumption that everyone has the same absorption rate/ability - and occasionally "your not a man if you can't keep up!"

...A load of stupid moronic cobblers.

Advertisement