Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

so...many...atlas, so few cobra missile launchers :D

And phantoms are unbelievably nasty!

God, those Banshees terrified me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,229 ✭✭✭✭noodler

First impressions as I finish
    Mars

Combat is terrible. I really can't emphasise that enough.

I turned the difficulty up because the last game was such a cakewalk but they really do not give you the tools (I picked infiltrator) to combat those shield men in any sort of effective way.

Honestly, its like crawling through mud - I might have to restart and put back to normal to less the torture.

Enjoying the story so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

God, those Banshees terrified me.

First time I ever came across them was is multiplayer on a silver level game. Im a solider and I tought as with the brutes etc just keep fire on them n sorted. Before I knew it it had come within 2 feet and impaled me and I was wtf just happened

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Really, did you think so? Compared to ME1, I thought the character interactions was really watered down.

In ME1, in the downtime between missions, you could chat to each character about a wealth of different topics and the previous mission, and get an extra mission for some of them if you were a persistent chatterbox after each mission, there was tonnes of dialogue, in ME2 it was watered down a bit, Garrus constantly doing calibrations, etc.

But in ME3, all you get really is a single chat you can have each character in your cabin, and the meetings on the citadel, some of them didn't even have any dialogue options, the interactions aren't as deep as in the previous games. For example, you go to a crew member between a mission, and press A to chat, and all you get is "Good to see you Shepard", press A again, "Good to see you Shepard".

I was a little let down by the character interactions, I feel like I am bashing the game now, but I am not, the chats just weren't as detailed, but there was some great character bits too, near the end especially.

TBH a lot of the character interactions in the first game bored me. There was plenty to talk about yeah, but after a while you just wanted them to do something. I liked the way the characters moved around the ship in this game and asked to be invited up to your cabin. There was probably less overall interaction than in ME1, but sometimes less is more. Having said that, it's a long time since I played the first game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

noodler wrote: »
    First impressions as I finish
    Mars

Combat is terrible. I really can't emphasise that enough.

I turned the difficulty up because the last game was such a cakewalk but they really do not give you the tools (I picked infiltrator) to combat those shield men in any sort of effective way.

Honestly, its like crawling through mud - I might have to restart and put back to normal to less the torture.

Enjoying the story so far though.
    As for the Shield men , 1 sniper shot throught the vision slot , or get a few lucky shots in there is all you need.

Theres also powers like incinerate, grenades etc , or just plain old fashioned flanking them , trust me they are the least of your worries as game progresses.

As for the Shield men , 1 sniper shot throught the vision slot , or get a few lucky shots in there is all you need.

Theres also powers like incinerate, grenades etc , or just plain old fashioned flanking them , trust me they are the least of your worries as game progresses.

I appreciate there are tougher enemies and these are early impressions but it just seems to me that the combat has to be repetitive to mask the fact there is very little skill involved (its a grind imo).

When I try to up the difficulty the game doesn't know how to do it without making it crushing. I mean, its like setting the FIFA to hard mode but rather than the opposition playing better your players start playin crapper or the referee starts simlply giving non-existant fouls against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daca88

If you have somebody on your team that knows pull it will pull the shield away, concussive shot will knock them back or cast singularity and they'll get swept up. Or as you say, 1 sniper shot through the slot. There's a trophy for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

anyone know how much HMV are giving on a trade-in?

anyone know how much HMV are giving on a trade-in?

Thirty something I do believe it said on a poster when I bought it today.

• Advertisement

daca88 wrote: »
    If you have somebody on your team that knows pull it will pull the shield away, concussive shot will knock them back or cast singularity and they'll get swept up. Or as you say, 1 sniper shot through the slot. There's a trophy for that :)

you can also mod a weapon to pierce armor (not just ap bullets) aim for the slot and let rip with an assault rifle/smg/pistol - takes longer but its effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

you can also mod a weapon to pierce armor (not just ap bullets) aim for the slot and let rip with an assault rifle/smg/pistol - takes longer but its effective.

Just after putting the first of those addons onto me Maddock rifle, 3 shots to the head-ish area downs em ;)

Also, just found out Overload isnt just useful for depleting shields, stuns those damn Nemesis on the spot. I imagine Sonic would be jealous of the speed they get up to while sliding between cover :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

MP is a great laugh but too many games freezing and losing my xp. Then a leader died in the 2nd round and quit, so did his friend and it was just 2 of us making a go for it, got to level 5, surprised we got that far. Sick of people running into crowds for melee kills, getting killed and then screaming down the mic when we don't join his suicide mission!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Pull and throw are insta kills for the Riot Shield men. It's very easy and if you are struggling with them, you don't have the right squad composition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

is it just me or am i hearing mass effect took hans zimmer time from the movie inception and just changed it abit or am my ears playing tricks on me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The melodic pings that are the backbone of the tune are just a slower version of a tune from ME1 back in 2007 well before inception.

The heavy trumpet sound....I'll give you that. Sounds very Inceptionish. Or you could view it as a Reaper sound. Depends on what way you look at it.

Just one more MP match and I will have over 5K effective military strength. Problem is, I kind of just keep wanting to play MP now it's so addictive! I saved a few creds and bought a spectre pack only to unlock a Geth Pulse Rifle!! beaming! And as much as I complained about the Engineer, he is beasting with AR & Incinerate combos and bringing down shields with overload. Great class on a high level.

Does anyone know how to mute other players?

Kirby wrote: »
    The melodic pings that are the backbone of the tune are just a slower version of a tune from ME1 back in 2007 well before inception.

The heavy trumpet sound....I'll give you that. Sounds very Inceptionish. Or you could view it as a Reaper sound. Depends on what way you look at it.

To me it seems like they more took it from War of the Worlds 2005; the sound the Tripods made

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

That song is called 'Leaving Earth', and it's the second song on the Mass Effect 3 OST. The piano melody is shared with a song at the end called 'An End Once and For All', except the last song doesn't have the intermittent horns of 'Leaving Earth', which is probably supposed to emulate the Reapers.

The soundtracks for all Mass Effect games have been sublime, they really did do a good job of portraying emotions in this one, the dissonance at the start of 'Defeat', the hopeful yet poignent piano melody of 'An End Once and For All' and the sense of urgency in 'Reaper Chase'. I loved every second of the soundtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

sheehy83 wrote: »

Don't think so, tried clicking on everything before and in a match and zilch.

• Advertisement

Gunmonkey wrote: »

Thats a bit crap. Anyone know how many war assets you get for promoting a level 20 character?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

Gunmonkey wrote: »

Thats a bit crap. Anyone know how many war assets you get for promoting a level 20 character?

I had promoted three characters by the time I was heading for the final mission and my N7 Special Ops score was 300, so I'm assuming it's 100 per character.

Edit: Wait, I promoted a fourth after I finished the game too, so it's 75, sorry about that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

75 points iirc.

yep and it bumps your N7 rank up by ten each time you do it. Also handy for resetting your MP chars to level 1.

Eh, yeah.. be careful if you promote everything you levelled in MP too, i did that and had to go level everything again :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

yep and it bumps your N7 rank up by ten each time you do it. Also handy for resetting your MP chars to level 1.

Eh, yeah.. be careful if you promote everything you levelled in MP too, i did that and had to go level everything again :D

Yeah I was wondering...what is the N7 rank? It says you get +10 but I have no idea what it's about.

Unlocked the Krogan Soldier in MP. Gold rare character that thrives on melee. :D

Thanks lads. Ya I was playing with a guy who was a Krogan, he was just charging everywhere killing everyone. Looked class.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Melee can be very dangerous in anything other then Bronze though. Had plenty of times where someone goes right into melee range and gets killed early on.

Kiith wrote: »
    Melee can be very dangerous in anything other then Bronze though. Had plenty of times where someone goes right into melee range and gets killed early on.

Ah ya by wave 8 or 9 he charged into a group of about 6-7 enemies, got killed and then screamed at us for not trying to save him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

On xbox just do what I normally do for multiplayer, create a party with just you in it, and switch to party chat. Works on any game. and you can switch back and forth between game chat if need be.

Annoying to hear others chatting during a match or if someones TV is very loud or worse they are singing :eek:

• Advertisement

don't think you can do that on ps3? I mean chat can come in handy like "theres an atlas over here" but the only thing I hear is screaming abusive yanks or very loud spanish people....neither are very useful to me. I've gotten some bad lag though so I can't quit out of it if I find a smooth level, just have to turn down the volume.

I'll be on tonight about 7.15 if anyone wants a game on ps3. my psn is - sheehy83

Advertisement