Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Surprising lack of moral fury re: cocaine so far.

I guess it's all about who does it rather than what they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

DubDani wrote: »
    Not wanting to sound mean, but why does his death require an inquest that probably costs the state quite a bit of money again?

He is dead, and if they are sure that he was not killed, then that's it. If I would die under the same circumstances, then there wouldn't be an inquest either.

Complete waste of taxpayers money IMO.
    Any death involving suspicious or unexplained circumstances like this would likely result in an inquest. They happen all the time, it's just that they're not reported on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ah how I recall all the hand wringing, finger-pointing and moralising done on that show around this time 4 3 yrs ago, just after Katie French died...

I have no problem with illegal drug use by any celebrity...I do have a huge problem with those same public figures proseltyizing about anti drug use or slamming drug culture, even if I undertsnad that they must given their public profile and career on this little island of hypocrisy.

It's time this country had a very honest debate about drugs. I never liked Ryan really (although he was admittedly a great broadcaster) and this revelation won't change my opinion of him (I always had him down as a hypocrite)...but I have absolutely no doubt that there'll be many of his former listeners and fans (the mammy brigade of Ireland) who will try and deny or reconcile this and/or who may change their opinion of the man because of this news.

Rest assured folks...there's loads of others out there at it too, some of whom you'd least expect. That's it, from me and them until then...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Cue media frenzy to track down supplier of cocaine that killed Gerry? (a la French Stylee)I seriously doubt it.People who live in glasshouses should masturbate in the basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Sure look at yer man from cork, he was caught with his trousers down too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Chances of this not coming up at all on Liveline?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

stovelid wrote: »
    Surprising lack of moral fury re: cocaine so far.

I guess it's all about who does it rather than what they do.

It's perhaps easier to be very quick to pay tributes and RIPs than to be quick to shout out now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Sure look at yer man from cork, he was caught with his trousers down too!

Who and what did he do? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

To be perfectly honest, i never liked the man, i always thought he was a smug, self important dick head. The fact that he is also now a proven hypocrite doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

What i'd love to come out in the wash is that joe duffy was his dealer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Who and what did he do? :confused:

He had a slot on morning radio in cork similar to that of Gerry, was very opinionated and outspoken. He took out his 'member' and proceeded to have a hand shandy on an aerlingus flight from Heathrow. He said he was out of his mind on a cocktail of painkillers and alcohol at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

I didn't mind him either, didn't particularly like him though. On the other hand, he was clearly a massive hypocrite to give out about drugs and criminal gangs on one hand, and to actually be a user of drugs and a customer of those same murderous gangs on the other.

Whether he had a family or not isn't really relevant to that to be honest. It doesn't give you a free pass to do wrong.

And don't forget he was the presenter / face of Operation Transformation, A TV show which advocated a healthy lifestyle. Or maybe that was just about healthy eating? Drugs are ok maybe? :rolleyes:
    To be fair though, Irish people are very naive, i can imagine how 'shocked' and 'saddened' people will be that Gerry Ryan took cocaine :rolleyes:
    So yes he was clearly a hypocrite and RTE are just as guilty, using him to front Health programmes and such :rolleyes:

So to sum up... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

<snip> Lets not get ourselves in legal trouble with rumours etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Bendihorse wrote: »
    He had a slot on morning radio in cork similar to that of Gerry, was very opinionated and outspoken. He took out his 'member' and proceeded to have a hand shandy on an aerlingus flight from Heathrow. He said he was out of his mind on a cocktail of painkillers and alcohol at the time.

Completely forgot about that fella and the 'incident'. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Think about it:

Gerry was stressed about his finances.

Laying out loads of money on cocaine.

The head shops provided cheaper highs but were closed down.

Conclusion:

JOE DUFFY KILLED GERRY RYAN.

/perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Wow, my dad actually called this on the day Ryan died, I thought he was just being his usual cynical and sour self. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

If only he lived long enough for this weather. Loved a bit of the white stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

You know what amazes me it's only when one of these celebs drops dead from drug use that people talk about it openly. For instance it's a known fact that certain presenters on TV3 are regular cocaine users out and about in clubs in Dublin. That's just a small example of the scale of the problem. Drug use has gone through the roof in the last couple of years and it's hardly been talked about because of the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Colour me shocked.

or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

chordtype wrote: »
    Chances of this not coming up at all on Liveline?
    I'd say that's a given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats strikes me is how the likes of Ryan end up as big babies. Cosseted, over-indulged and overpaid. Fretting about whether he was due time off and taking refuge in marching powder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Mister men wrote: »
    I'd say that's a given
    I'd say you'll hear a sterling defence of Gerry's hypocrisy if it comes up at all. Sure you can't speak ill of the dead in Ireland, can you? (Stalin: a nice man, good organiser, big moustache, misunderstood by history...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Cocaine, the rich man's aspirin was bought with your Tv licence funds, and then went on to fund criminal gangs.

I was promised this sort of thing would end when the headshops were closed down. :pac:
    This country is an asylum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Really surprising how much he was suffering from stress and anxiety, all that bravado was just for show then. I'd like to think a lesson could be learnt by all of us about judging people you don't know nothing about, but this is AH so no point in continuing that thought any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

chordtype wrote: »
    If only he lived long enough for this weather. Loved a bit of the white stuff.

I just stole that and texted it to a friend. She said it was in very poor taste and disrespectful :( I feel terrible now :(

Damn Boards :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I didn't mind him either, didn't particularly like him though. On the other hand, he was clearly a massive hypocrite to give out about drugs and criminal gangs on one hand, and to actually be a user of drugs and a customer of those same murderous gangs on the other.

Everything we do on a daily basis provides an outlet for criminal gangs.
    People smoking results in demand for counterfeit cigarettes.
    Diesel in cars results in counterfeit diesel over the border.

Gerry like us all kept his money in a bank, criminals target banks. Is he a hypocrite for that too?

I would be willing to say that there isn't one person in AH at this moment that hasnt done something that contributed to criminal gangs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

whycliff thats a hell of a leap - fuel, cigs and money in your savings account are NOT ILLEGAL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Really surprising how much he was suffering from stress and anxiety, all that bravado was just for show then. I'd like to think a lesson could be learnt by all of us about judging people you don't know nothing about, but this is AH so no point in continuing that thought any further.
    You have a point of course, but I don't think it's at all surprising he was suffering from stress and anxiety.
    Some other signs of Cocaine use are feelings of restlessness, irritability, and anxiety.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Signs-of-Cocaine-Use---What-Are-the-Signs-and-Symptoms-of-Cocaine-Use?&id=295483

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

whycliff wrote: »

Gerry like us all kept his money in a bank, criminals target banks. Is he a hypocrite for that too?

I would be willing to say that there isn't one person in AH at this moment that hasnt done something that contributed to criminal gangs.

WTF????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

mike65 wrote: »
    whycliff thats a hell of a leap - fuel, cigs and money in your account are NOT ILLEGAL!

I accept that, my arguement wasnt about things being legal or illegeal its about contributing to criminal gangs and then giving out about it.
    Being a hypocrite.
    All I'm saying is as jesus once said "Let He Who Is Without Sin Cast The First Stone".
    No one is perfect, Gerry never claimed to be either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

whycliff wrote: »

For my next trick I will attempt to leap the Grand canyon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement