Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Cokehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I missed the report on the news and cant find anything online, thats why i ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

The girlfriend said he never took cocaine while the results showed he died from it. She must feel like a right fool.Or else she was talking through her arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Add hookers and thats the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

The inquest in the death of RTÉ broadcaster Gerry Ryan has heard that traces of cocaine found in his system were the likely trigger to a cardiac arrhythmia that resulted in his death.
    A coroner said that Mr Ryan's heart was normal, but he said traces of cocaine were found in his system during toxicology tests carried out at Beaumont Hospital and at the State Laboratory.
    He said that alcohol levels in Mr Ryan's system were nowhere near the level that would cause complications.

Mr Ryan, 53, was found dead at his apartment at Upper Leeson Street in Dublin on 30 April.
    Earlier, the partner of TV and radio presenter Gerry Ryan denied that he used cocaine in the hours before his death.
    Melanie Verwoerd was speaking at the inquest for the RTÉ broadcaster at the Dublin City Coroner's Court.
    Asked by Coroner Brian Farrell if 'cocaine was ever an issue', Ms Verwoerd said 'absolutely not'.
    Ms Verwoerd said one of the ground rules of their relationship was that drugs were not acceptable. She said in the two years they were together nothing had been used.
    Ms Verwoerd said that the pressures of finalising his separation from his wife Morah, as well as enormous pressure from RTÉ and his work, had begun to take a toll on Mr Ryan.
    She said that he was constantly waking in the middle of the night, sweating and feeling very unwell.
    Ms Verwoerd said she was 'incredibly' concerned about him and he had told her he was 'totally banjaxed' and felt very tired.
    She said the pressure Mr Ryan was under was never openly obvious to people as he was a 'showman'.
    He would give private signals to her during social events when he was unwell and had to leave. She said this was a fairly common occurrence.
    Ms Verwoerd said that changes in sick leave policy in RTÉ had resulted in Mr Ryan feeling he could not take time off work even though he was unwell.
    Friends of Mr Ryan have been describing the last hours of his life.
    Several witnesses at the inquest have said he was in good form and enjoyed a meal in Town Bar and Grill and a few drinks, before going home at around 10.45pm on the night before his death.
    Ms Verwoerd described finding Mr Ryan's body on the floor of his bedroom, lying wrapped in bedclothes beside his bed.
    She said it was immediately apparent he was cold and stiff and had been dead for some time.
    Mr Ryan's wife Morah and his son Rex also attended the inquest, along with colleagues from 2FM.
    Mr Ryan's GP, Dr Tony Crosby, said that Mr Ryan was suffering from 'severe stress and anxiety' as a result of a number of factors.
    He said he had seen Mr Ryan on 22 April, just a few days before Mr Ryan's death.
    Dr Crosby said he had prescribed some drugs to assist with his condition.
    He said Mr Ryan was normally very open and forthright about how he was feeling but made no complaint about chest pains.
    He said Gerry Ryan had told him was not sleeping, was feeling very stressed, and was quite anxious.

From Rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

smk89 wrote: »
    Add hookers and thats the way to go

if your gonna go may as well be with coke & hookers

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

chordtype wrote: »
    Cokehead.

He's looking for something in the postmortem that will suprise him......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I remember being told about 15 years ago that he was a cocaine user but dismissed it as idle gossip particular since he was always so anti drugs on his radio show.

looks like the rumour was probably right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

So he was a cokehead. And the p$$s he used to take out of junkies on air. Stinks of hypocrisy me thinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Still waiting on Joe Duffy to be outed as a smackhead and a pimp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

I am sure he could well afford it , on 500k a year or something like that. Id say RTE is knee deep in Coke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Gay Byrne was with him that night....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Not wanting to sound mean, but why does his death require an inquest that probably costs the state quite a bit of money again?

He is dead, and if they are sure that he was not killed, then that's it. If I would die under the same circumstances, then there wouldn't be an inquest either.

Complete waste of taxpayers money IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I didnt mind Gerry Ryan at all.
    I understand some folk found him irritating etc, but personally I really enjoyed listening to his shows, and I really felt like I had 'company' for 3 hours a day when he was on air whilst I was on the road with work.

I couldnt give 2 hoots as to what they found in his system, cocaine or otherwise! At the end of the day, there are a few children who will be without a father at Christmas this year!

May he R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

what a hypocrite :mad: giving it all that slagging people off
    on RTE they said he was stressed over the recession WHAT did he live on
    the breadline I dont think so maybe the price of coke was keeping him up at nights and stressing him out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

We have to track down and punish these monsters who keep giving our celebrities bad cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

One of the I Radio stations was on at work.

On the news report they said "When asked if Gerry took cocaine in the days previous to his death. his partner said: Absolutely not".

Back to the newsroom: "In breaking news - The inquest in to the death of RTÉ broadcaster Gerry Ryan has heard he suffered a cardiac arrhythmia as a result of excessive cocaine and alcohol" :D

RIP Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

DubDani wrote: »
    Not wanting to sound mean, but why does his death require an inquest that probably costs the state quite a bit of money again?

He is dead, and if they are sure that he was not killed, then that's it. If I would die under the same circumstances, then there wouldn't be an inquest either.

There would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The rumours appear to be true for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Cool_CM wrote: »
    We have to track down and punish these monsters who keep giving our celebrities bad cocaine.

Not punish, reward them

Also give them some direct numbers to help with the marketing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You're a bit thick aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Gucky wrote: »
    I couldnt give 2 hoots as to what they found in his system, cocaine or otherwise! At the end of the day, there are a few children who will be without a father at Christmas this year!
    I didn't mind him either, didn't particularly like him though. On the other hand, he was clearly a massive hypocrite to give out about drugs and criminal gangs on one hand, and to actually be a user of drugs and a customer of those same murderous gangs on the other.

Whether he had a family or not isn't really relevant to that to be honest. It doesn't give you a free pass to do wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The circumstances mean its legally required. It'd be the same if it was thee or me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No great surprise really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

The sun always shines on TV, or em .... Radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's terrible Joe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It only what we all knew. no surprise TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I didn't mind him either, didn't particularly like him though. On the other hand, he was clearly a massive hypocrite to give out about drugs and criminal gangs on one hand, and to actually be a user of drugs and a customer of those same murderous gangs on the other.

Whether he had a family or not isn't really relevant to that to be honest. It doesn't give you a free pass to do wrong.

I understand all that.

I was simply giving my personal opinion about him.

I'd say though that we only know the half of whats going on out there in showbiz land!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I wonder will Degsy have any opinion on this matter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Amazing the way he talked about "scumbag" drug dealers week in week out all the while he was throwing bags of Columbias finest up his nasal passage.
    Ryan had blood on his hands all the while preaching on RTE/Pravda about how you should be living your life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement