Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legard on the way out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Crasp wrote: »
    You know I was watching fifth gear earlier and I thought this too, he's very enthusiastic and excited, but not in a Legard way. And he actually knows what he's talking about.
    I could listen to Tiff all day!

He'd have to remove his head from his own arse first though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

He'd have to remove his head from his own arse first though

Which was one of the main problems with James Allen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Tiff is a real example of a marmite person you either love or hate him. I think he is a legend and he is the only reason I watch that show.

It's one thing to like him on fifth gear, quite another to be able to sit down and watch a race with him commentating!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Excellent article here http://planetf1.com/editorial/6606542/Who-s-The-Boss-At-BBC-F1-

I think the same. Crofty and Ant Davidson should get promoted to race day commentors.

Brundle is excellent as is Davidson but Davidson has up to date F1 experience. He is still the Mercedes simulator driver

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Dont get me wrong, I think Brundle is great, but either way, for the 2011 season, I intend to listen to the 5Live feed for races where I can listen to Ant is Crofty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I wonder if Legard is on his way out when the BBC will announce his replacement? The new cars will start to launch this month (Sauber on the 31st of Jan I think) so I guess it would be soon enough.

I really don't think Coulthard would be a good commentator. He's got a good gig with Jake and EJ and I think they should leave him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Brundle and Ben Edwards on BBC1, Ant and Crofty on Five Live would be best imo...that would be two great commentary teams!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

ro_chez wrote: »
    Brundle and Ben Edwards on BBC1, Ant and Crofty on Five Live would be best imo...that would be two great commentary teams!

Such a lineup would cause a bit of a dilema.

Edwards for me is the best commentator out there. He was fantastic doing Eurosport coverage for both F1 and CART.

By all accounts, Edwards was always the BBC's no one choice for main commentator but Edwards wouldn't accept as BBC wanted him under an exclusivity contract.

You have to consider though, at the time Edwards was doing both BTCC for ITV and A1GP for Sky. I like to think that with the BTCC being his only may gig, he may rethink the situation with the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

BBC expected to announce Brundle as lead commentator this morning. Coulthard looks to be definitely replacing Legard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No. :(

• Advertisement

Personally I think this is a misstep by the BBC. Brundle is more suited to the role of calm no.2, voice of reason and experience etc.

It makes for a bad partnership when you combine it with Coulthard who has virtually no ability to convey excitement or his own personal enthusiasm. He appears to lack spark and passion.

The proof is in the pudding I guess.

I knew Murray Walker was irreplaceable to a large degree but this is getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Personally I think this is a misstep by the BBC. Brundle is more suited to the role of calm no.2, voice of reason and experience etc.

It makes for a bad partnership when you combine it with Coulthard who has virtually no ability to convey excitement or his own personal enthusiasm. He appears to lack spark and passion.

The proof is in the pudding I guess.

I knew Murray Walker was irreplaceable to a large degree but this is getting ridiculous.

After 13 years in the number two role Brundle deserves his chance as lead commentator. The hiring of DC is sure to raise the ire of many but it was always unlikely that they would move Anthony Davidson from 5 Live so DC was always likely to get the nod given that it is common practice for a recently retired driver to take such duties. The friendship that Brundle and DC have could make this an interesting partnership and could help bring DC out of his shell during races and give good insight. At least Brundle will try and have some banter with DC and there will go a friendly atmosphere in the commentary box, with Legard it always seemed that Brundle was exasperated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Good to see Legard go but I think Coulthard and Brundle will only appeal to a certain audience. They won't bring as much excitement as others could have brought.

Dare I say Eddie Jordan would have been a better co-commentator? I mean at least he shows real enthusiasm.

*ducks*

Anyway I don't really think its that big a deal. Legard wasn't great - Brundle is a better choice. Lets just hope that DC finally leaves his role as part time PR man for Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BBC wrote:
    putting him alongside David Coulthard, one of the biggest names in British motorsport and a skilled race analyst.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

+ One one for watching it with the Radio 5 commentary and a mute button for Coulthard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Shyte.:mad::( As much as I like Brundle, I'll never be able to suffer Coulthard.

5 Live it is.

Load of fücking sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I wasn't a huge fan of Legard, he frustrated me the way he seemed to keep butting in and interrupting Brundle, but I feel bad for him as I'm sure he's a nice guy and was trying his best.

For all the talk of Legard dividing opinion with fans, I think DC joining the commentary team will divide opinion just as much. He doesn't really come across as having a lot of passion for F1 and while I'm sure he does and while I'm willing to give him a chance, I think he's really going to have to step up his game. He can't really commentate on the races the way he does when he's doing his pundit commentary pre and post race.

I think it's fair to say that Murray Walker was the best and worst commentator for Formula 1. The best because he simply was the best and could generate excitement like no-one else. And the worst because he was so good, no-one will ever be able to replace him.

During the Japanese GP last year when they had to temporarily switch to the 5Live lads, Crofty and Ant sounded like they were having a whale of a time. So much so that I wanted to keep listening to them, but Brundle was the only reason I'd listen to the main commentary. However I have Magnet TV here in Dublin and as a result, I don't have the Red Button features so I don't have the choice of switching to the 5Live lads anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

WTF, one step forward, several steps back.

Legard needed to go but that jaysus Coulthard ****er :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Another reason why I can't stand that ****er Coultard is he owes me one case of beer, bastard pulling over for :mad:that effing Finn and doing it on the last lap

Chandok would have been a better choice.

So, is it Eddie Jordan and Jake Humphrey on their own now?

I know some hate Eddie but I think him and Coulthard were good together, I never actually laughed out loud in my 16 years of watching F1 before I saw those two.
    But either of them on their own would'nt be much use, imo.

BBC have screwed up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

Just saw confirmation on the BBC F1 site, Martin will be the new lead commentator with DC supporting. Apparently screen tests have been done already and the Beeb are happy with the new pairing. Jake Humphrey tweeted that he will have a blog up later with his take on the lineup changes.

frostie500 wrote: »
    After 13 years in the number two role Brundle deserves his chance as lead commentator. The hiring of DC is sure to raise the ire of many but it was always unlikely that they would move Anthony Davidson from 5 Live so DC was always likely to get the nod given that it is common practice for a recently retired driver to take such duties. The friendship that Brundle and DC have could make this an interesting partnership and could help bring DC out of his shell during races and give good insight. At least Brundle will try and have some banter with DC and there will go a friendly atmosphere in the commentary box, with Legard it always seemed that Brundle was exasperated.

I'm sure Brundle was getting paid more than Legard, it's not like being "lead" commentator is a promotion. I just can't see Brundle working as a main commentator but I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Obviously Martin's gridwalks will have to go. Legard always filled in for a few minutes before Brundle would make it up to the commentary box.

Coulthard is a dour Scotsman. Qualities which may make sense behind the wheel but not behind the microphone. Last year when he stayed in Woking to report from McLaren, it was torturously embarrassing each time it would switch to him.

I'm impressed that I heard about this so far in advance on Boards.

@grandmaster - Magnet. You have my sympathies. I cannot describe my hatred of Magnet with mere words. Burn Magnet burn.

Finish the gridwalk a couple of minutes earlier, sorted. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

amacachi wrote: »
    Finish the gridwalk a couple of minutes earlier, sorted. :P

There will then be less chance of catching the big names as they are all waiting in their garages until the last minute.

Unless EJ does the gridwalk. That could be fun! There is nobody he won't harrass, no question he won't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Eddie Jordan to become main analyst
    Coulthard will continue as a pundit alongside Jordan, but will head up to the commentary box in time for the start of the race , at which point Jordan will be the BBC's analyst in the paddock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Trampas

well Brundle use to be DC manager. I'll say no more

Advertisement