Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legard on the way out?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭

Must be getting close to decision time, does seem to be the one problem with bbc's coverage

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6564644/Legard-edging-closer-to-Beeb-exit-
    Rumours that the BBC will drop Jonathan Legard from their Formula One commentary team for the 2011 season are refusing to go away.

Legard has been the Beeb's lead commentator since F1 switched from ITV to the public broadcaster in 2009.

However, there have been several reports that the BBC won't renew his contract when it expires at the end of this year after several gaffes.

Matt Scott from The Guardian wrote: 'Jonathan Legard's tenure as the chief commentator for the BBC's Formula One coverage looks increasingly threatened. There have long been rumours of a personality clash with his co-commentator, Martin Brundle. According to one BBC source, that has culminated in Legard being replaced for next season.'

A BBC spokesperson told the paper: "We're still looking at our line-up for next year's Formula One coverage."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

If there is a god................

It's the one negative in BBC's coverage for me,he drives me nuts.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Oh I would so glad if I didn't have to hear his monotonous drivel anymore. He doesn't even really report on the race anymore, Brundle seems to commentate on all the actual action.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Ted Kravitz to the Comm box, James Allen to the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What an earth dont they use David Croft? his coverage on the red button is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

David croft is fantastic, have been saying he should take over from legard for the last year. I hope its true.

• Advertisement

tbh I think it'd be a shame to break up the Davidson/Croft duo! I think they work well together!!

All 3 (above 2 + brundle) would be a laff I reckon. Let legard do the red button/radio 5 live.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Crasp wrote: »
    Ted Kravitz to the Comm box, James Allen to the pits.

No! :p

Ted Kravitz I think does a great job in the pitlane and should stay there - if it's not broken and all that... I do agree though he would be a fine complement to Brundle in the comm box, but just too big a loss in the pitlane.

James Allen to the nearest exit, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Croft would be my first choice, do need Brundle but Davidson is also pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 timt

For the moment even just the sound of the cars is better than legard.
    They could just have a list of his archaic cliches going across the bottom of the screen, it would be less annoying!

'battle has been joined' etc

Brundel is invaluable obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Crofty +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ben Edwards. Back when Eurosport covered F1, he was always great. A bit like Murray Walker, but without the mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭FREDNISMO

James Allen trying to be Murray Walker PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GOD DONT SUBJECT US TO THAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Hmmmm, Ill believe it when i see it confirmed by the BBC proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Coulthard gives a decent interpretation of F1 based on his driving experience and close ties with RB. In saying that,i can't imagine him commentating. His voice is too monotone and boring tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I can't see Coulthard as a main commentator tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Not sure how well DC would work alongside Brundle. For years it's been the enthusiastic commentator that acts for the viewer and poses questions and brings in the experienced Brundle, who explains things from a drivers point of view. Having two experienced drivers might make the exchanges less fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Needs somebody with a bit of energy, can't see Coultard and Brundle working really

Would be a shame not to move croft to the main feed (although I guess that option is already there on interactive), good example here of how much better he is, like night and day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Needs somebody with a bit of energy, can't see Coultard and Brundle working really

Would be a shame not to move croft to the main feed (although I guess that option is already there on interactive), good example here of how much better he is, like night and day

I remember during the Japanese GP this year, the BBC TV audio feed cut out and they put the 5live guys on for a while with the TV pictures and it was such a difference. It sounded like they were having a whale of a time.

Aye the lads on 5 Live sound like they're having a great time watching the race without straying into Fanzone-on-Sky territory. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I wonder if BBC are leaking these to gauge viewers reactions to potential replacements. First was the MotoGp guy now Coulthard.

I cant see Coulthard working out as lead commentator and I wouldn't like to see Brundle take over that role either so I don't see how it would work.

Ben Edwards or Crofty, but if they take Croft they will destroy the 5live coverage so I can see why their reluctant to give it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I hope not. Whilst he'd definitely be an improvement on Legard there are other more dynamic personalities amongst the existing Radio 5 Live commentary team who would also be a good match with Brundle being drivers or ex drivers themselves. I'm not sure I could stand listening to Coulthard's voice drone on for 2 hours solid to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Jesus, Coulthard would be fuckin woeful.:( I'd rather see Legard stay than that.

Comparing radio and TV commentary is impossible. Radio has to be more descriptive and energetic as the listener can't see the action.
    TV commentators are generally lazier and let the pictures do most of the talking.

The danger is, Crofty might get lazy as well if he moves to TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Jesus, Coulthard would be fuckin woeful.:( I'd rather see Legard stay than that.

For fear of incineration, I wasn't going to say that, but I agree. He's a negative, pompus, boring presenter & would be attrocious having to sit through a gp listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

EnterNow wrote: »
    For fear of incineration, I wasn't going to say that, but I agree. He's a negative, pompus, boring presenter & would be attrocious having to sit through a gp listening to him.

Agreed....BUT hes better than Legard. The personality clash is awful it makes for uncomfortable TV. Cant beat 5 live its like watching it with the lads!

I don't dislike Coulthard but we need someone more "obvious" than Brundle to keep the balance, it's like wrestling commentary. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I dont dislike Coulthard either but hes not suited to the job of a main commentator. Either Croft, Ben Edwards or the Dutch guy Eurosport (Allard Kalff) used to use years ago

Ben Edwards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BS-xH6ceqw

Allard Kallf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr00HlaK-L0

Actually, the Daily Mail are saying Brundle would be the main commentator

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Agreed....BUT hes better than Legard.

No he's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I'd love to see (hear) Tiff Needel do it.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see (hear) Tiff Needel do it.

You know I was watching fifth gear earlier and I thought this too, he's very enthusiastic and excited, but not in a Legard way. And he actually knows what he's talking about.

I could listen to Tiff all day!

Advertisement