Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest half decent Android Tablet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

half empty wrote: »
    I bought an Archos 70 a month ago and this thing is brilliant. Had been looking at a Samsung galaxy tab but this is as good bar the 3g connectivity .... and a 3rd of the price:D
    Enabled gps with bluetooth reveiver. Can teather to phone. Running as sat nav/engine diagnostic via bluetooth OBD II plugin and torque via market. Using penetrate pro for free wifi .... the list is goes on!!

What gps reciever did you get if you dont mind me asking? I've a 101 and adding gps would be quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

srsly78 wrote: »
    Haven't published anything myself, mostly done work as contractor for carriers. Think my stuff is on 100 million+ devices (not just android), but not on a single irish device :D Also done lots of stuff for private use only, kinda similar to what you poasted :pac:

Oh.... archos 101 is approved by my cat. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4436079/images/IMG_0060.JPG

Looks like a Cat-alytic converter:)

What gps reciever did you get if you dont mind me asking? I've a 101 and adding gps would be quality.

I purchased a G-Sat 395s for use with a Nokia N73 some few years ago from ebay ... faultless device.

http://www.globalsat.com.tw/products-page.php?menu=2&gs_en_product_id=2&gs_en_product_cnt_id=22

Adding software is easy when you know how:)

I think this will do the job.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Copilot-GlobalSat-BT-359-Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver-Sat-NAV-/400130699077?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item5d29a5ef45

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AndyC555

Can the people who bought the ZT 180 give some further feedback on how their device is performing?

How is the battery life? Could I watch a full movie just on battery power?

Also, what plug adaptor comes with it? European 3 pin or does it come with a 2 pin plug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 half empty

AndyC555 wrote: »
    Can the people who bought the ZT 180 give some further feedback on how their device is performing?

How is the battery life? Could I watch a full movie just on battery power?

Also, what plug adaptor comes with it? European 3 pin or does it come with a 2 pin plug?

Product
    ZT-180 1GHz processor 10" tablet Android 2.1
    Warranty
    1 Year, click here for detailsCPU
    1GHz ZT-180 CPU
    OS
    Android 2.1
    Memory
    2GB Nandflash, DDR 256MB
    Supports micro sd card up to 32GB

Screen
    10.2 in high quality Resistive Touch Screen
    Resolution: 1024*600 pixels
    Audio
    Built in stereo speakers
    3.5mm earphones
    Built in Microphone
    WAV playback, WMA playback
    Video
    MP4 1080 P AVI (XVID, H.263, DIVX)

Features and highlights
    Android 2.1
    Android apps
    Word viewer
    (no access to google market, but you can get unlimited free apps on many android related webistes since its open source)
    Instant messenger with support for QQ、MSN、Fetion、Google Talk protocals
    Full featured Web browser, Receive and send email
    Powerpoint Viewer
    PDF Viewer
    Ebook Reader
    WIFI
    USB port
    1 Way USB 2.0 Host interface
    Support OTG mouse
    3D games
    support many langauges
    DC in
    Mic In
    Earphone
    RJ-45
    SD/MMC
    3* USB2.0 hos port
    Battery
    Built-in 2400mAH, 7.4 Li-ion battery
    5-7 hours standby time
    Now lets compare this to the Ipad.

iPad
    Operating System iOS
    Weight 680g/730g
    Dimensions 242.8 x 189.7 x 13.4
    Processor 1GHz Cortex A8
    RAM 256MB
    3G Optional
    Video PowerVR SGX 535 GPU
    Screen Capacitive LED
    Wifi b/g/n
    Bluetooth 2.1
    Screen Size 9.7" 1024x768 (4:3)
    Rotation Accelerometer 3-axis
    USB Via dock only
    Ethernet Via dock only
    TV-out Via dock only
    Camera none
    AVG Batt life video without wifi or 3g (10h)
    Storage 16GB 32GB or 64GB
    Card reader none
    Speakers mono speakers

More info can be found here:

http://androidforums.com/other-tablets/132917-zenithink-zt-180-1ghz-10-tablet.html

Thanks half empty, I'm very aware of the specs. I'm more interested in what battery life people are getting in real life. I have read the claimed 5 to 7 hours seems a little optimistic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Andy I bought one and was pretty dissappointed. Screen is not great and performace leaves a lot to be desires. Spend a few quid extra and you will get a lot more for your money. I'd get the Archos 101, or wait for the Ginegerbread tablets

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Two interesting news bits (here and here) appeared on archosfans last night.

What do you think? Looks promising within the category of affordable android tablets.

Thanks for the reply Zascar. I'll probably wait. ePad, aPad, superpad, wowpad aaahhhhhhh my head is wrecked.

I also had a look at the FlyTouch 2 running Android 2.2.

The Archos 101 selling between €300 and €350 (depending on where you buy it) is a little to much to spend I think.

Why so few Android tablets running 2.2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah the archos doesn't look like such a good deal with all these dualcore ones coming out. Smyths are selling archos for e250 I read somewhere?

I would hang on and wait until other normal users post hands-on reviews of whatever tablet, you really cannot tell whether a device is any good or not just by looking at the specs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres a review I wrote for an Android site at the start of the month regarding teh Ziio 7"

I still stand by it a month later and use it for everything instead of the laptop.
    Ok heres my take on the Ziio.
    I picked mine up on the 3rd Feb.It was a toss up between the Archos 7o and the Ziio and I went for the Ziio.The difference in price was 30 euros the Ziio being cheaper but that wasnt my deciding factor.
    The Specs were ie the 512mb ram over the Archos 256 which if creative are on the ball may make a better machine in the long run with that extra ram.

Right so here goes.
    The screen.The screen is probably the best resistive screen Ive ever used.It actually doesnt feel like its resistive its that responsive.

Software–Creatives own launcher/customised version is a bit(very) slow.It is laggy at times.However Ive been using androids for years and found the same issues with some manufacturers phones–their own implementation of Android being a bit laggy etc.I switched to Adw on Friday night and my god there is some difference in the speed of the menus.Its a whole different ball game.The 512mb ram and 1ghz processor really comes into its own with adw running.There is ZERO lag and the menus open instantly which is the way it should be.

Battery Life Meagre??I dont think so…Mine came half charged in the box and after probably 4-5 hours of use it needed charging.Yesterday ws the first time Ive fully charged it and I reckon its going to be good for 7-9 hours and maybe a bit more.***Update--Ive tried looping a video and its good for 7 hrs and 22 mins with wifi off***

Overall Id give the Ziio a 9 out of 10 only dropping a point for the lack of the market and multitouch--Lack of market isnt a big deal if you know how to use apk files and lack of multi touch never bothered me either--been using a x10i for almost a year now and that had no multitouch.

Im looking forward to the lads at Xda getting their hands on one of these to start cooking roms for.The ziio rooted and customised may be one of the best tablets for the money out there @ sub 200 euro.

Lets hope Creative get moving with rom updates because on paper the specs on the Ziio are ideal for future updates of the OS

You plug a keyboard into it and type? No way can any tablet replace laptop for me (and most people right now). I use laptop for visual studio and games ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You plug a keyboard into it and type?

Nope--It will take a Bluetooth keyboard but I havent tried one yet.

No way can any tablet replace laptop for me (and most people right now). I use laptop for visual studio and games ;)

Agree a tablet will never replace a PC but for everyday tasks ie email,web browsing,watching movies,music theyre ideal.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Nope--It will take a Bluetooth keyboard but I havent tried one yet.

Agree a tablet will never replace a PC but for everyday tasks ie email,web browsing,watching movies,music theyre ideal.

Depends what you use a PC for. With the advent of cloud computing raw horse power is a thing of the past.... as linux/Android gain versatility and compatibility you'll see less need to generic PCs. With Quad core SOC round the corner , why couldn't your 10" tablet screen become a keyboard only with with display via blue tooth to your 32/40/52" TV ?
    Walk into places like PC world ... laptop has taken 50% of the shelf space in only a few years ...this is the natural progression

Sorry for going on... but has anyone tried the App torque via an OBDII with bluetooth such as ELM 327 ?
    My wifes car had an issue with the AntiPolution system due to low fuel .. ECU fault would not clear.. sorted this out myself using torque.Not only could I navigate the fault log on the ECU but it gave me option to clear the faults from the system , also comprises of a URL link for more info on diagnosed fault.
    Read out gives you every possibe dignostic of the cars running state. Including a fairly 'Boy racerish' 0-60 & standing 0.25 mile.
    Since this is compatible with almost every car since 2001,its an investment.

:confused:

AndyC555 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Zascar. I'll probably wait. ePad, aPad, superpad, wowpad aaahhhhhhh my head is wrecked.

I also had a look at the FlyTouch 2 running Android 2.2.

The Archos 101 selling between €300 and €350 (depending on where you buy it) is a little to much to spend I think.

Why so few Android tablets running 2.2?

Sorry Andy for getting off the point. To be honest I was in the same position as yourself , reading forums trying to get the best bang for buck.
    My research brought me to Archos. I think €300-350 is a bit much regarding where Android is now.People who post here are right it is best to wait for Gingerbread or better Icecreaam , but if like me you want the beast thats there right now you won't go too far wrong with Archos. AS I said I got mine for €249 ... €229 in Power City.
    I will invest €700+ when the right tablet is produced ..could be 12 mths from now.I have only a HTC Desire running Adroid prior to this again I waited for this a 12 mths on its still there with the best.
    I hate resistive screens ... even the best and as far as screen resolution goes 800x480 is the best Froyo supports anyway !
    As for 'Why so few Android tablets running 2.2?' .. technology is folowing Android in this new emerging market.

I do see your point and apologizes for leaving the topic.
    Hopefully someone with a ZT 180 can give us their perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

crx=== wrote: »
    Sorry for going on... but has anyone tried the App torque via an OBDII with bluetooth such as ELM 327 ?
    My wifes car had an issue with the AntiPolution system due to low fuel .. ECU fault would not clear.. sorted this out myself using torque.Not only could I navigate the fault log on the ECU but it gave me option to clear the faults from the system , also comprises of a URL link for more info on diagnosed fault.
    Read out gives you every possibe dignostic of the cars running state. Including a fairly 'Boy racerish' 0-60 & standing 0.25 mile.
    Since this is compatible with almost every car since 2001,its an investment.

Agreed, this is one of the best buys I have made in ages.£30 327 Bluetooth adapter from ebay, torque (free version) and my HTC Desire. Good stuff all round and an essential tool to have in the arsenal!

Depends what you use a PC for. With the advent of cloud computing raw horse power is a thing of the past.... as linux/Android gain versatility and compatibility you'll see less need to generic PCs. With Quad core SOC round the corner , why couldn't your 10" tablet screen become a keyboard only with with display via blue tooth to your 32/40/52" TV ?
    Walk into places like PC world ... laptop has taken 50% of the shelf space in only a few years ...this is the natural progression

At present touchscreens are awful to type on, even a 10" screen. Also people were predicting the cloud+thinclients replacing the PC 10 years ago, didn't happen. How exactly will a quad core processor improve the typing experience? Touchscreen replaces mouse very well, but not keyboard (except for minimal typing).

People are VERY fussy about their typing experience on keyboards. I have a logitech k800 for example, for it's backlit laptop style keys.

@hellrazer: The archos tablet has a fullsized USB port, you can just plug in a normal keyboard. This feature alone puts it above most other tablets.

• Advertisement

At present touchscreens are awful to type on, even a 10" screen. Also people were predicting the cloud+thinclients replacing the PC 10 years ago, didn't happen. How exactly will a quad core processor improve the typing experience? Touchscreen replaces mouse very well, but not keyboard (except for minimal typing).

People are VERY fussy about their typing experience on keyboards. I have a logitech k800 for example, for it's backlit laptop style keys.

@hellrazer: The archos tablet has a fullsized USB port, you can just plug in a normal keyboard. This feature alone puts it above most other tablets.

The company I work for has a net profit of half a billion/year and has completly embraced the idea of cloud computing.
    Quad core SOC will replace raw power of intel systems when coupled with android. As for keyboards .....your looking at the present only methinks.
    It's what ever your used to.

Obligatory link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UYa6gQC14o

Yes we will have cloud stuff, but also enough local horsepower to play pc quality 3d games with new kinds of interface like touch and gesture and so on. Do want.

Obligatory link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UYa6gQC14o

Yes we will have cloud stuff, but also enough local horsepower to play pc quality 3d games with new kinds of interface like touch and gesture and so on. Do want.

As for Larry Ellison... all I can say is that 'Sarcism is the lowest form of wit'
    Wonder why he was replaced by Steve Jobs :rolleyes:

Wait.... what? Steve Jobs is the ceo of Oracle now?

As for Larry Ellison... all I can say is that 'Sarcism is the lowest form of wit'
    Wonder why he was replaced by Steve Jobs :rolleyes:

Also a very intresting clip since he is one of the main stake holders in Salesforce:D

http://m.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2005/10/69420

Wonder why he was replaced by Steve Jobs :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Sorry wrong quote..... excelent shiraz though.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

looking at the SuperPad2/FlyTouch3 anyone picked up one of these yet?

looking at the SuperPad2/FlyTouch3 anyone picked up one of these yet?

Hope this helps ....
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1CS-X220-TABLET-ANDROID-1080P/product-reviews/B004F33FJ6/ref=sr_1_2_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm looking at a netbook for when I go travelling and given that I already have a PC, Mac and a laptop at home, one of these tablets should really be the obvious choice - but for some reason, I can't help but feel that the market isn't that mature yet.

I do like the Archos 101, but I think it's far too expensive. Having owned two resistive screen phones and one capacitive screen phone, I can imagine getting pissed off with a resistive screen tablet device, which rules out the more affordable devices.

Are there many shops in Dublin that have demo models to play around with? HMV have one or two that I might check out. I really want to be convinced!

• Advertisement

I bring the archos travelling and it's great for casual browsing/movies etc. However I would not plan on doing any serious typing on it (even a forum post would be too much), and bringing an external keyboard hampers the portability.

Tablets do not replace netbooks or laptops, you can not do any "serious work" on a tablet. If you don't actually do "serious work" then great, you will love tablet.

Advertisement