Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest half decent Android Tablet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Got that FlyTouch 2 pad today in the post, so far it's super but it's too soon to post a review.

& it's also cheaper on pandawill.com, the 5% code has been listed in this thread
    overeager wrote: »
    I'm looking at this little divel:

http://www.euogo.com/flytouch2-10-inch-android-21-tablet-with-gps-infortm-x220-1ghz-cpu-256m-ram-camera-hdmi_p414:9523fd88d3ce33cba3f88e17761f5dd0.html

Ive read all there is to read and besides some minor (fixable) problems it seems to be the bees knees.

I'm still looking for a tablet with Android 2.2 and GPS though. Anybody seen one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oopsy

HI TO ALL!
    i recently got the prixton 7'' tablet as a christmas present for a friend.
    im having some trouble with it an im wondering if anyone could help!
    the battery only lasts for 30 mins while in use... is there something i am doing thats causing this? is it right to only have that amount of a charge?
    the wifi signal is very poor. i literally have to be sitting next to the wifi box to use the tablet...
    any suggestions or reccommendations would be a great help.
    thanks in avance...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Welcome to boards. :)

Have you checked what the average battery life for that tablet is? 30 minutes sounds wrong. Sometimes this can just be down to the OS mis-representing what the battery actually has left (I've noticed with mine that the charge / discharge length is getting longer over time).

There are ways to correct it, but I'm not familiar with them. This app looks like it might do what you want though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oopsy

Khannie wrote: »
    Welcome to boards. :)

Have you checked what the average battery life for that tablet is? 30 minutes sounds wrong. Sometimes this can just be down to the OS mis-representing what the battery actually has left (I've noticed with mine that the charge / discharge length is getting longer over time).

There are ways to correct it, but I'm not familiar with them. This app looks like it might do what you want though.

Response: i just had a look at the info leaflet that came with the tablet. it says that there is 3 hours standby time. i chargred the tablet for 12 hours last night an this morning, i was only able to use it for 30 mins and the tablet shut down as the battery died....

any remarks with the wifi connection? i literally have to be sitting so close to the wifi box to use the internet....
    should i not be able to use the tablet in places where i have wifi access through my laptop in my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

oopsy wrote: »
    it says that there is 3 hours standby time.

a 3 hour standby time:eek:. truthfully if the standby time is that pitiful then the 30 minute battery life is all I would expect. It looks like it is a tablet pretty mcuh designed to be plugged in:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gunn3rs

I am really interested in buying a Flytouch 2. Can anyone who has been using one let me know their thoughts? Is it honestly worth buying? I'm a bit skeptical due to the price, it looks too good to be true.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys with the release of Ginerbread, are there going to be any actual Decent budget tablets coming out that run it? €799 for the Motorola Xoom is crazy. I got one of the cheap Chinese ones but did not like it - but what can you expect for €130. I just want something with a capacitive screen, decent ram & processor - and the usual connections, I'm not really convinced with Cameras etc. But I don't want to pay more than about €300. I hope to see the market flooded with such devices in the next few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

WiFi only Xoom is meant to cost around 600usd (440eur). I know it is bit long-winded, but when this comes out and if you could get somebody to get it for you from the US of A, it would not be a bad price, for an excellent spec tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 half empty

I bought an Archos 70 a month ago and this thing is brilliant. Had been looking at a Samsung galaxy tab but this is as good bar the 3g connectivity .... and a 3rd of the price:D
    Enabled gps with bluetooth reveiver. Can teather to phone. Running as sat nav/engine diagnostic via bluetooth OBD II plugin and torque via market. Using penetrate pro for free wifi .... the list is goes on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

If possible, wait until around April for Android 3 which is aimed at tablets. More here...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2028335/google-finalises-android-sdk

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys with the release of Ginerbread, are there going to be any actual Decent budget tablets coming out that run it? €799 for the Motorola Xoom is crazy. I got one of the cheap Chinese ones but did not like it - but what can you expect for €130. I just want something with a capacitive screen, decent ram & processor - and the usual connections, I'm not really convinced with Cameras etc. But I don't want to pay more than about €300. I hope to see the market flooded with such devices in the next few months!

The advent vega/archos 101/toshiba folio fit are at a good price. They probably need an increase in resolution and ram to be able to take honeycomb but that shouldn't bump up the price too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The Archos is indeed very good, but note that you WILL have to tweak the device yourself to get best results, as such I can't recommend to non-techy users.

Also there are some minor annoyances with it, with latest version you gotta turn wifi off manually or it will drain battery overnight. Also there is no optimised-flash yet (software flash is so slow as to be useless for most things), we are promised a flash update, but are still waiting.

srsly78 wrote: »
    The Archos is indeed very good, but note that you WILL have to tweak the device yourself to get best results, as such I can't recommend to non-techy users.

Also there are some minor annoyances with it, with latest version you gotta turn wifi off manually or it will drain battery overnight. Also there is no optimised-flash yet (software flash is so slow as to be useless for most things), we are promised a flash update, but are still waiting.

I agree these devices are only good for here and now with Froyo 2.2 as they do a good enough job with a version of Android primarily for mobile phones ... that is until tegra 2 or better tegra 3 chips becomes available in devices made by either HTC or Nvidia (leaked tablet looks promising) with a dedicated opp system for tablets & HD resolution.( 3D is promised without need for glasses)
    As far as my humble Archos goes , tweaking is now not that bad, an app became available called Archtools and is available on the installer which comes with the device.With only a few taps of the screen this installs Market, Google mail , google maps e.t.c to the device making it functionally on par with my HTC desire phone ... again without 3g of course.I also have mine flash enabled with tube mate as a youtube downloader :rolleyes:

Yes but flash is so awfully slow it may as well not work. THere are youtube downloader apps, why do you need flash for that?

Yes but flash is so awfully slow it may as well not work. THere are youtube downloader apps, why do you need flash for that?

Yes at 256mb of ram and no reasonable dedicated graphics it does suffer a bit. Don't need flash player for tubemate .. just meant its enabled.Also forget about browser that comes as standard , use dolphin mini instead.... faster than windows 7!!

The archos does have dedicated graphics, it's just that the flash isn't taking advantage of it. Go try some 3d games, they work fine. All these devices use the same "system on a chip" anyway, with power vr or whatever graphics.

Archos have promised an optimised flash plugin, their latest excuse for delays is "we are waiting for adobe to certify it". Yeahhh......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The archos does have dedicated graphics, it's just that the flash isn't taking advantage of it. Go try some 3d games, they work fine. All these devices use the same "system on a chip" anyway, with power vr or whatever graphics.

Archos have promised an optimised flash plugin, their latest excuse for delays is "we are waiting for adobe to certify it". Yeahhh......

That could be true. That was the reason why the original advent vega didn't have flash.

The only issue I have with the Archos is the fact you need to purchase a Plugin for ACC3 audio ... €19.00 for it. Graphics is o.k but does stutter on 3D at higher frame rates. Battery life I find excellent , esp when system panel app is used. As for leaving it on all night with wifi on .. no problem , maybe drops by 10-15% as it goes into sleep mode after sustained inactivity.
    For the money and the customization ability 9/10.
    Graphics ability 6/10
    Battery 8/10 ( 7/8 hrs on constant)
    Video player 8/10 (-7 for ACC3 !!)
    Imput/output connections 5/10 (micro usb only to pc)
    Build quallity 7/10 (feels a little flimsy)
    Over all quite happy and will suffice until fore-mentioned come out.
    Purchased for €249 in Smyths allthough can be got for €229 in power city.
    Also Smyths only do a 30 day in store guarantee with the rest covered by Archos ... I found this quite odd and was a bit dubious.

• Advertisement

Make sure there is no background stuff and it won't stutter. Also disable the auto-rotation when playing games.

Have you set yours to overdrive? If you haven't it's only running at 800mhz I think. Go settings -> about device -> power management -> overdrive to get 1Ghz. You can also run archangel permaroot and clock it up a bit.

Make sure there is no background stuff and it won't stutter. Also disable the auto-rotation when playing games.

Do you have an Archos ?

Yes, and see my edit.

Yes, and see my edit.

You are correct about the 800 MHz being the running speed and about overdrive going to 1GHz .Will try the auto rotation the next time though and see if this helps ... no backround apps were running as I mentioned I use system panel to close everything before hand.

srsly78 , how do you find the Archos 101 size wise ? The 70 is 'Jeans pocketable'
    (looks a bit geekish with top sticking out... almost like a Dom Jolly:eek:)but the 101 screen real estate does look impressive , as I'm constantly on the go this was the deciding point for me.
    I have mine installed to air vent in my Primera using a Gtab holder bought from Duragaget on Amazon , comes with a suction adapter also ...€15 devivered.
    Running copilot/Ndrive looks good .... would be awesome with 101 !!!!!

It's way too big to carry in jacket, needs a manbag :D There is a 7" version which is exactly the same except sizewise. Also there is the dell streak, a 5" tablet. I have a Desire + Nexus S, so am not short on portable devices tbh.

The main reason I got my 101 is to demo android apps that I develop. Much better than showing stuff on a phone. At home ofc I have a big fat PC with 30" screen that I use, but when travelling the archos is awesome. It's also good for sitting on the couch and casually browing, much better than a laptop I find. It's also amazing as an ebook/pdf reader, and I got ****loads of 2000ad comics + films on it (16gb internal + 32gb sdcard). If you got windows media center thingy it will play across the network, also I keep a lot of stuff in dropbox, which is very handy. When they fix flash this tablet will be EVEN better (I want to run grooveshark thru webpage for example, app doesn't work for some reason).

I think you have given it too low marks for connectivity, the fullsize USB port is awesome! I realise there are issues with "usb host" needing special cable or something, and the port doesn't put out too much power... But everything I have tried has worked, plug a keyboard in and troll away. USB keys also work fine. There is even a project ongoing (xda archos forum, or maybe archos fans forum) to get DTV dongle working, and 3g dongles.

Tethering phone can be annoying, because android doesn't support adhoc. Work around that and your golden (depends on model of phone you got).

It's way too big to carry in jacket, needs a manbag :D There is a 7" version which is exactly the same except sizewise. Also there is the dell streak, a 5" tablet. I have a Desire + Nexus S, so am not short on portable devices tbh.

The main reason I got my 101 is to demo android apps that I develop. Much better than showing stuff on a phone. At home ofc I have a big fat PC with 30" screen that I use, but when travelling the archos is awesome. It's also good for sitting on the couch and casually browing, much better than a laptop I find. It's also amazing as an ebook/pdf reader, and I got ****loads of 2000ad comics + films on it (16gb internal + 32gb sdcard). If you got windows media center thingy it will play across the network, also I keep a lot of stuff in dropbox, which is very handy. When they fix flash this tablet will be EVEN better (I want to run grooveshark thru webpage for example, app doesn't work for some reason).

I think you have given it too low marks for connectivity, the fullsize USB port is awesome! I realise there are issues with "usb host" needing special cable or something, and the port doesn't put out too much power... But everything I have tried has worked, plug a keyboard in and troll away. USB keys also work fine. There is even a project ongoing (xda archos forum, or maybe archos fans forum) to get DTV dongle working, and 3g dongles.

Tethering phone can be annoying, because android doesn't support adhoc. Work around that and your golden (depends on model of phone you got).

AS I said earlier the Archos I have is an A70s i.e 7" model. This does not have usb 2.0 and no power output through micro usb.
    Maybe 8.9" screen would be the perfect mix if some manufacturer could provide one with an ultra thin surround like apple iphone.

I agree they are much more versatile than a laptop as for android/linux ... watch your Job Steve :P
    What app have you developed? .. I would like to try the same if I had the time.As for apps my favorite has to be Penetrate Pro br Diogo Ferreira ... Simple but effective reversal of know keys on WEP SSID's .. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

half empty wrote: »
    Also Smyths only do a 30 day in store guarantee with the rest covered by Archos ... I found this quite odd and was a bit dubious.

Of course that is a load of crap as your statutory rights are not affected by it and the store is responsible for any product for a reasonable period of time be that 30* days or 3 years. I imagine a tablet PC should last for 3 years or more so you can ignore their 30 day policy and demand that they deal with archos on your behalf.

I myself have the Archos 101 which I got in Peats for €349 before Christmas.

*Can't think of any electronic product that should have a lifespan of 30 days.

Saruman wrote: »
    Of course that is a load of crap as your statutory rights are not affected by it and the store is responsible for any product for a reasonable period of time be that 30* days or 3 years. I imagine a tablet PC should last for 3 years or more so you can ignore their 30 day policy and demand that they deal with archos on your behalf.

I myself have the Archos 101 which I got in Peats for €349 before Christmas.

*Can't think of any electronic product that should have a lifespan of 30 days.

Thanks for the clarity .

• Advertisement

half empty wrote: »
    What app have you developed? .. I would like to try the same if I had the time.As for apps my favorite has to be Penetrate Pro br Diogo Ferreira ... Simple but effective reversal of know keys on WEP SSID's .. Genius.

Haven't published anything myself, mostly done work as contractor for carriers. Think my stuff is on 100 million+ devices (not just android), but not on a single irish device :D Also done lots of stuff for private use only, kinda similar to what you poasted :pac:

Oh.... archos 101 is approved by my cat. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4436079/images/IMG_0060.JPG

Advertisement