Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest half decent Android Tablet?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Like a lot of things. 7 inches is pretty small. It just has an obvious portability win about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Khannie wrote: »
    7 inches is pretty small
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Mine says Departed Hong Kong now on dhl tracking. I hope it gets here before Thursday otherwise I won't have it for xmas. Dam it I should have ordered it straight away not mull on it for a few days grrrr

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Baza210 wrote: »
    Like?
    Having a big screen is just nicer. When I used the ipad I just remember thinking if it was any smaller it would not exactly be ideal for many things - typing for example - and viewing a lot of websites on a small screen just isn't great - many apps too I'm sure. Depends on what you want to use it for I suppose - but if you wanted portability - use an iphone etc. For usability & productivity 10" is a good size I'd say. It's no coincidence that apple chose this as the first size to bring out - I'm sure a lot of research went into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The few people I know who have used both the 10" iPad and the 7" Galaxy Tab prefer the Samsung device, as its smaller size allows you to easily type with your two thumbs in portrait orientation without having to rest the tablet on anything. My own use of the two bears this out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I had heard there was some hullaballoo in the early days alright. You and I were never marketed the better CPU though. We're getting what we paid for. All that malarkey is long over and done with as I understand it (the date on that post is August 1st).

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

resistive screens are awful
    Zascar wrote: »
    Oh yeah can someone please explain the difference between the Capacitive type screen that the iPad has, and the resistive one on most of the cheaper ones?

In the dozens of reviews I read I did not hear anyone complain about the screen. One or two said its not as good as the ipad (obviously) - but my guess is that it was really awful others would have mentioned.. I'll tell you in a few days anyway, mine is in the UK already! :D

In the dozens of reviews I read I did not hear anyone complain about the screen.

This actually surprised me. I expected more people to give out about the screen, but they don't.
    mine is in the UK already! :D

Bastard. :D

• Advertisement

I had heard there was some hullaballoo in the early days alright. You and I were never marketed the better CPU though. We're getting what we paid for. All that malarkey is long over and done with as I understand it (the date on that post is August 1st).

just saw it and posted it to be sure :D

It arrived! :D:D:D

Just before I was about to leave work cause of the blizzard, Santa (the DHL Man) came to deliver it :)

Only been playing with it a few minutes but its great so far, nothing to complain about. Screen seems lovely to me - not quite as brilliant as the ipad but still great.

I did the Root thing so I have market access etc. Now to find fun things to do with it!

Dear Zascar,

I hate you.

Sincerely,

Khannie.

Dear Zascar,

I hate you.

Sincerely,

Khannie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

how is the touch screen sensitivity and the sound!!!

I hear there are now major problems with this batch however so you aren't out of pocket I am willing to buy it off you for what you paid *cough*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Lucky Git zascar.
    Mine just left china today :(
    A new years pressie I guess so.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Mine is under the tree, wrapped, looking at me :( Not allowed open it until Saturday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry for the stupid question, but why do these things need hacking if it's not a closed shop like the Apple products?

Zascar, it would be great if you could post a review in a few days?

eoin wrote: »
    Sorry for the stupid question, but why do these things need hacking if it's not a closed shop like the Apple products?

Hardware manufacturers just like to prevent you from arsing up their gear then sending it back to them for warranty or whatever (which is more likely with a rooted device). There's very little you can't do with an unrooted device. Rooting just appeals to the inner geek in all of us.
    Zascar, it would be great if you could post a review in a few days?

+1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks - I'll read up on the sticky. I have to say, the Archos 101 Internet tablet looks interesting. It has the capacitive screen as well.

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/connected.html?country=us&lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Ok please dont laugh!!!!

Ordered the z-180 on pandawill on the 13th, paid extra for express delivery. Anyway still no sign this morning so tracked it on DHL, and it says that it arrived in shannon on fri but there was a problem clearing customs.

Rang dhl to see what the problem is, and you'll never guess!!!!!

Customs wont clear it as its medication!!!! WTF!!! Then the girl tells me it says 'tablet' on the package.

Now ye can laugh!!!.

ROFL

so anyone that now has it from christmas...what do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

O my god, I don't even need it but I so want the Zenithink tablet - those that have recieved is it worth it? seems mighty cheap

in other words, are they still the best for the money

is it snappy ect,

cheers

I have to say, the Archos 101 Internet tablet looks interesting. It has the capacitive screen as well.

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/connected.html?country=us&lang=en

By chance, I was playing with an iPad on Christmas day and the Archos tablet that I've linked to above on St. Stephens day.

I'm not a Mac fanboy, but the iPad really is a nice bit of kit to use. It definitely has its problems, but the screen and interface is excellent. That being said, the Archos screen wasn't half bad either. It was a little temperamental at times, and typing was a little bit of a chore - but it was better than I expected.

I didn't get much of a chance to play around with the OS, but I did notice it was a little laggy at times. The video quality looked pretty good.

If they were the same price, I'd get the iPad - it's just that bit nicer to use, and feels better finished - but given that the Archos comes in at around €300, I think it's a winner for me. Edit: that's if I get a tablet at all. For much typing; even casual use on a forum like this, it might get old very quickly and a netbook might be the better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

By chance, I was playing with an iPad on Christmas day and the Archos tablet that I've linked to above on St. Stephens day.

I'm not a Mac fanboy, but the iPad really is a nice bit of kit to use. It definitely has its problems, but the screen and interface is excellent. That being said, the Archos screen wasn't half bad either. It was a little temperamental at times, and typing was a little bit of a chore - but it was better than I expected.

I didn't get much of a chance to play around with the OS, but I did notice it was a little laggy at times. The video quality looked pretty good.

If they were the same price, I'd get the iPad - it's just that bit nicer to use, and feels better finished - but given that the Archos comes in at around €300, I think it's a winner for me. Edit: that's if I get a tablet at all. For much typing; even casual use on a forum like this, it might get old very quickly and a netbook might be the better buy.

Having used both I would agree with your assessment. However you can easily tweak the archos to get rid of the complaints, especially so since they have fixed the "firmware fiasco". They released an update that clocked the chip down to 800Mhz. Latest update clocks it back up to 1000Mhz helping a lot with snappiness/lag problems. To get rid of remaining lag use "launcher pro" or "zeam". Archo will probably fix this automatically in a future update.

Long and boring stuff about android governor + RAM etc omitted.

That's really good to know srsly78; I've no knowledge of them at all so could only give a complete n00b's opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I purchased this tablet under recommendation from Pandawill.com, apparently it's a step up from the ZT-180 - has a HD port and is slightly more powerful for more or less the same price

http://www.pandawill.com/flytouch-pad-2nd-android-21-mid-101-inch-2gb-gravity-sensor-camera-gsensor-silvery-without-gps_p40571.html

will post a review when it arrives :)

I really wish these things had 4 buttons like proper android devices instead of trying to copy the iPad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

Kevin! wrote: »
    I purchased this tablet under recommendation from Pandawill.com, apparently it's a step up from the ZT-180 - has a HD port and is slightly more powerful for more or less the same price

http://www.pandawill.com/flytouch-pad-2nd-android-21-mid-101-inch-2gb-gravity-sensor-camera-gsensor-silvery-without-gps_p40571.html

will post a review when it arrives :)

With that level of ARM processor (v5) it won't be able to handle Flash, even with an upgrade to 2.2?

Advertisement