Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress Leave?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Point is nobody knows what sh1t is going on in peoples personal lives .
    Agreed, but not everyone can get paid time off outside their normal time off / holidays, to go off having lunch with the wife and drinking at the weekends, because of "stress". People sometimes find if they have "stress" in their personal lives they are better off at work, as it takes things off their mind ( well it should anyway, if they are busy at work ), rather than wallowing around eating + drinking + playing golf, and getting colleagues and / or the taxpayer to pick up the tab for the extra time off.
    If the government will pay for "stress leave" for some people, why cannot everyone apply to the government for stress pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Japer wrote: »
    Agreed, but not everyone can get paid time off outside their normal time off / holidays, to go off having lunch with the wife and drinking at the weekends, because of "stress". People sometimes find if they have "stress" in their personal lives they are better off at work, as it takes things off their mind ( well it should anyway, if they are busy at work ), rather than wallowing around eating + drinking + playing golf, and getting colleagues and / or the taxpayer to pick up the tab for the extra time off.
    If the government will pay for "stress leave" for some people, why cannot everyone apply to the government for stress pay ?

Ah now in fairness its not like he was out partying and living it up, he and his wife went through a traumatic experience and were trying to get back some kind of normality in their lives as far as I can see from the post. If someone lost a child I'd hope most employers would give them some time off, even if it is just to do normal everyday things, because I'm sure that helped. As you say some people are better off at work to take their mind off it, but some people need to have time to themselves to work through whatever is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Liam_Flag wrote: »
    Because she wouldn't have gotten away with it in a private company.

YAWN!

I worked as a civil engineer for a time and I was stressed out at work from being busy.

I can imagine the face on the boss if I said I needed time off for stress.

You can imagine his face all you want but if your doctor recommends you need time off because you're heading for some kind of breakdown then there's not a damn fcuking thing your boss can do about it. Are you a slave to your boss's emotions? Sounds like you are....and he sounds like a dick.

A freind of mine told me yesterday that that a girl in admin had taken 2 weeks sick leave due to 'stress' - that there was nothing wrong with her and it was a result of having a petty difference with one of the nurses.

I've never heard of it before and I'm amazed. I doubt many in the private sector would take it as quickly as people in the ps?

And you know something OP, you're very quick to paint the girl in question as some kind of malingerer. Do you think that this kind of attitude makes you hard? Like a sort of "can-do" type of guy? What do you know what she was going through? She may have had to deal with the most withering of bullying by another nurse. It happens, you know. Not only that but there may have been just a load of other sh1t that just piled up in her world causing misery overload. Maybe coupled with the problem with the nurse she had other private problems to face. Maybe a parent was dying or a boyfriend was cheating on her or she herself just found out she has breast cancer or her kid has some condition and she doesn't know how she'll cope. Did you ever just fcuking stop once to think that this is a human being who may quite possibly be in the depths of despair and you just blithely scoff at the situation. I hope you never need a bit of empathy or compassion and understanding....such an alien concept would probably fcuking kill you.
    I witnessed a guy in a company where I worked suffer bullying and it near destroyed him. He got through it and thankfully the bullying was only brief but he suffered paralyzing panic attacks going into work.

• Advertisement

Japer wrote: »

Oh boy, here's Comrade Japer again, the greatest worker in the world complaining about everyone else costing colleagues or the taxpayer millions and why the country is in the state it's in.
    How much do you cost your boss in wasted time posting your worldview to boards.ie?

According to the mighty Japer if you take a day off work to do anything other than to go to your own funeral then you're a wastrel scumbag with no work ethic. Need physiotherapy for the crippling injuries as a result of a hit and run? Bollox, you're on the golf course laughing at everyone in work. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Oh boy, here's Comrade Japer again, the greatest worker in the world complaining about everyone else costing colleagues or the taxpayer millions and why the country is in the state it's in.
    How much do you cost your boss in wasted time posting your worldview to boards.ie?

According to the mighty Japer if you take a day off work to do anything other than to go to your own funeral then you're a wastrel scumbag with no work ethic. Need physiotherapy for the crippling injuries as a result of a hit and run? Bollox, you're on the golf course laughing at everyone in work. :rolleyes:

Relax gee whizz!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Well I'd love to see a comparison of the numbers who have applied for Stress Leave in the Public Sector vs Private Sector./QUOTE]

It's SICK leave, not stress leave. :rolleyes:

When's the last time you heard of anyone being out on Broken-Leg Leave or Flu Leave? It's ALL sick leave. And I believe that it's allowed for by law for all workers. (you may need to have been employed for some time first. And the length of time they give you paid sick leave (beyond statutory requirements) for will depend on local arrangements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

A freind of mine told me yesterday that that a girl in admin had taken 2 weeks sick leave due to 'stress' - that there was nothing wrong with her and it was a result of having a petty difference with one of the nurses.

I've never heard of it before and I'm amazed. I doubt many in the private sector would take it as quickly as people in the ps?

do you think people in the private sector are all saints, never take sick days. why is it always the p s who are bashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A friend of mine told me that some people take sick days when there's nothing wrong with them, only they fancy a day in bed. Shock horror. I had to post this in After Hours, I was so disturbed by this news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

hondasam wrote: »
    do you think people in the private sector are all saints, never take sick days. why is it always the p s who are bashed.

Private sector sick leave is 50% lower on average. Don't want to bash them, but that's probably why it comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Stress leave is the biggest cop out considering as far i know it cant be proved.

twinytwo wrote: »
    Stress leave is the biggest cop out considering as far i know it cant be proved.

Are you a doctor or psychiatrist? "As far as you know"...??
    So physicians the world over will tell you that stress is a killer. It causes heart problems, mental disorders, ulcers, depression, etc. But you in your expert opinion "think" it can't be proved?
    Can you shed some light on this revelation of yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Sounds like she needs a good roasting. I take it that the OP will see to it that she will need another month off from sexually induced exhaustion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Read page 1 - too f***ed to read the rest so if this has come up allready well then so what - Surely you need a doctor or phsycatrists ????(spelling???) note to be entitled!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I know a woman where I use to work would take the odd day here or there for stress leave but never 2 weeks on the trot plus she did alot more work than most others so she deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 irishonline

I suppose its acceptable if you are diagnosed by the doctor. The Doctor can sign you off for a period of time if he feels you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i met a guy once who worked for the department of something or other - married to a teacher and had 3 kids.

they'd a cottage somewhere in france and for the last 3 years this guy had taken 2-3 months stress leave, signed off by his doctor, during the summer so him and the family could all piss off to france.

and people wonder sometimes why i've a bad opinion of admin staff in the civil service - this is one of quite a few examples of why that crowd are getting off lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

i met a guy once who worked for the department of something or other - married to a teacher and had 3 kids.

they'd a cottage somewhere in france and for the last 3 years this guy had taken 2-3 months stress leave, signed off by his doctor, during the summer so him and the family could all piss off to france.

and people wonder sometimes why i've a bad opinion of admin staff in the civil service - this is one of quite a few examples of why that crowd are getting off lightly.

Would just love to know where this guy works - Me thinks he's kidding you. I bet the time off was without pay - of course he wouldnt tell you that - better story the other way!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Would just love to know where this guy works - Me thinks he's kidding you. I bet the time off was without pay - of course he wouldnt tell you that - better story the other way!!!;)

i think it was the dept of education. but i see your point. either way, ****er had no shame...telling a friend of a friend he doesnt know from adam how he's basically ripping off the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

i think it was the dept of education. but i see your point. either way, ****er had no shame...telling a friend of a friend he doesnt know from adam how he's basically ripping off the state.

I agreee - sounds like a complete "donkey" hole. Its idiots like him give the civil servants a bad name.

Advertisement