Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stress Leave?

Options
  • 07-12-2010 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

A freind of mine told me yesterday that that a girl in admin had taken 2 weeks sick leave due to 'stress' - that there was nothing wrong with her and it was a result of having a petty difference with one of the nurses.

I've never heard of it before and I'm amazed. I doubt many in the private sector would take it as quickly as people in the ps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

congratulations on a stress free life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Liam_Flag wrote: »

I doubt many in the private sector would take it as quickly as people in the ps?

I'd say people in the private sector have to take it more than people in the public sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

What's petty to you may not be petty to everyone.
    And as another poster said congrats on never hearing of stress leave?
    And while we are at it what does Private Vs Public service got to to do with anything?
    Should public employees not get sick?

red menace wrote: »
    What's petty to you may not be petty to everyone.
    And as another poster said congrats on never hearing of stress leave?
    And while we are at it what does Private Vs Public service got to to do with anything?
    Should public employees not get sick?

Public service get paid for time off, many private sector don't and therefore cannot even afford to take a day off, even when sick.

The main gripe with public sector is that they tend to get away with shedloads while their equals in the private sector wouldn't even chance it.

Stress is entirely objective and is often an abused excuse, I don't mean to subject stress as a reason to skive and I realise it is a serious ailment but I know if I told my previous boss in the private sector I was suffering from stress I have a pretty good idea of the outcome ... Pull yourself together and bloody get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Stress and anxiety can be crippling conditions. Just because something doesn't manifest itself in an obvious manner doesn't mean it's not seriously debilitating. Quite a lot of people who take their own lives show no obvious outward sign of their turmoil, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Public service get paid for time off, many private sector don't and therefore cannot even afford to take a day off, even when sick.

I don't see how it's the public sector worker's fault if you have crappy conditions of employment.
    Stress is entirely objective and is often an abused excuse, I don't mean to subject stress as a reason to skive and I realise it is a serious ailment but I know if I told my previous boss in the private sector I was suffering from stress I have a pretty good idea of the outcome ... Pull yourself together and bloody get on with it.

Who the hell are you working for, Scrooge? Or some neanderthal who doesn't recognise that mental health is as important as phsical health? This isn;t a matter of public versus private sector. If you went to your boss with a certified mental health issue and he refused to allow you some sick leave, then I imagine he'd be leaving himself open for liability were anything to happen to you.

Einhard wrote: »
    I don't see how it's the public sector worker's fault if you have crappy conditions of employment.

Fair enough, but the public sector have good conditions of employment as a given, and a good rate of pay/salary (ok cuts have been a bitch) but when you are negotating a private sector job you can't exactly bargain your way in and ask for all these things to be handed on a plate.

Who the hell are you working for, Scrooge? Or some neanderthal who doesn't recognise that mental health is as important as phsical health? This isn;t a matter of public versus private sector. If you went to your boss with a certified mental health issue and he refused to allow you some sick leave, then I imagine he'd be leaving himself open for liability were anything to happen to you.

I said in my post I appreciate that stress is not something that can be judged by an individual but there are plenty of employers out there that do not recoginise mental health issues as a serious illness, especially stress as a real condition, I have seen people compared to their equals and if they are all not suffering from stress, then the sufferer is a (insert derogotary term here) pussy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Liam_Flag

I said in my post I appreciate that stress is not something that can be judged by an individual but there are plenty of employers out there that do not recoginise mental health issues as a serious illness, especially stress as a real condition, I have seen people compared to their equals and if they are all not suffering from stress, then the sufferer is a (insert derogotary term here) pussy.

Well I'd love to see a comparison of the numbers who have applied for Stress Leave in the Public Sector vs Private Sector.

And while I can appreciate it can be a serious illness in some cases...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's abused.
    And it was abused in the op's example case ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

There is no facility in the private sector to take time off just because you've fallen out with someone at work, barring something that is longterm or involving making a massive deal of it i.e court etc., and I'm pretty sure thats what the OP is getting at. We're all told at school, and then figure out ourselves, that you don't always get along with the people you work with, thats life and you just have to deal with it. I'm sure most people have had disagreements with people at work, I certainly have and didn't go crying for time off. If it wasn't serious enough to warrant any kind of action from management then it shouldn't be something that you can take time off over (maybe it was that serious, I don't know).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm in private in UK. We've had, that I know of 1 fella claim stress and was out for months on full pay (we have good contracts) once that limit ran out he quit without coming back and now apparently lives in Thailand and rumour mill had it he wasn't particularly stressed at all.

Another girl did the same thing and she was definitely intentionally milking it as she was a mate.

Annnd finally one last fella who last year at the xmas party got into a fight with a colleague and was given January off on stress grounds despite it being common knowledge that he's an absolute uncontrollable dick when he drinks and was just being himself and it had nothing to do with stress.

I'm sure stress is a horrible thing but frankly the 3 workplace examples I've had personal experience of were little to do with 'stress' but people using the system to their advantage.

• Advertisement

I'm in private in UK. We've had, that I know of 1 fella claim stress and was out for months on full pay (we have good contracts) once that limit ran out he quit without coming back and now apparently lives in Thailand and rumour mill had it he wasn't particularly stressed at all.

Another girl did the same thing and she was definitely intentionally milking it as she was a mate.

Annnd finally one last fella who last year at the xmas party got into a fight with a colleague and was given January off on stress grounds despite it being common knowledge that he's an absolute uncontrollable dick when he drinks and was just being himself and it had nothing to do with stress.

I'm sure stress is a horrible thing but frankly the 3 workplace examples I've had personal experience of were little to do with 'stress' but people using the system to their advantage.

This is what I was getting at. I'm sure as an actual condition its not nice but anyone I hear of who has taken stress leave I'm very sceptical about. It seems like we're going down this American route of drugs being prescribed for everything and everything is a medical condition. Stress, depression, ADHD, dyslexia and several others are bandied about everywhere these days, and while I'm not saying they aren't legitimate for a lot of people, a huge amount of people use these as excuses. I'd say the girl in the original post just needs a good kick up the hole and to be told to cop herself on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

A freind of mine told me yesterday that that a girl in admin had taken 2 weeks sick leave due to 'stress' - that there was nothing wrong with her and it was a result of having a petty difference with one of the nurses.

I've never heard of it before and I'm amazed. I doubt many in the private sector would take it as quickly as people in the ps?

How can you take a story about a single individual who you don't even know taking time off from work due to stress and twist it into a bloody public/private sector issue and expect to be taken seriously?

How can you take a story about a single individual who you don't even know taking time off from work due to stress and twist it into a bloody public/private sector issue and expect to be taken seriously?

Because she wouldn't have gotten away with it in a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

lol... because this is AH .... and not the politics forum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I find myself particularly stressed on the morning after major sporting events.

Luckily my employer understands stress and let's me take leave to sleep it off relax until I'm better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Public sector versus private sector debate... not so thinly veiled. Do you honestly think it was so simple as her having a falling-out with someone and getting time off?
    benjamin d wrote: »
    This is what I was getting at. I'm sure as an actual condition its not nice but anyone I hear of who has taken stress leave I'm very sceptical about. It seems like we're going down this American route of drugs being prescribed for everything and everything is a medical condition. Stress, depression, ADHD, dyslexia and several others are bandied about everywhere these days, and while I'm not saying they aren't legitimate for a lot of people, a huge amount of people use these as excuses. I'd say the girl in the original post just needs a good kick up the hole and to be told to cop herself on.
    Full-on stress/anxiety can cause people to be unable to eat, sleep, feel like they're going to explode with the pressure, have panic attacks; stops them focusing (so what use are they in the workplace?)... I agree a bit of run-of-the-mill stress isn't an illness, but hardly anyone would look for sick leave for that in the first place, however when things get like the former, I would think it would actually be the sensible option to take some time off. If that's not an illness, what is?
    I also think there's far more a likelihood of people SAYING ADHD is used by parents as an excuse for a kid being badly-behaved than parents actually using it as an excuse.
    And I've certainly never heard of dyslexia being used as an excuse for... what? It's not like it's a condition anyway, it's a learning difficulty I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

Totally agree - - if you are too stressed to work you must get a doctors cert to say so - thats even the case in the Public Sector. if the Public sector get any more of a bashing the whole lot will be forced to get doctors to sign them off.

I'm sick and tired of people getting on their high horse about the public v private sector - give it a rest for crying out loud -please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I got pretty stressed out once.

But then I decided to stop being stressed and be Awesome instead..

True Story..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

Wazdakka wrote: »

True Story..

Just love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

I worked as a civil engineer for a time and I was stressed out at work from being busy.

I can imagine the face on the boss if I said I needed time off for stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

True Story..

I dont think thats a true story ..... I think you made it up ...just to get people to click on the "thanks" thumbs up....shame on you !!!

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I dont think thats a true story ..... I think you made it up ...just to get people to click on the "thanks" thumbs up....shame on you !!!

Can the mods ban people for lying?

I hope so.

I value truth and honesty over entertainment personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I worked as a civil engineer for a time and I was stressed out at work from being busy.

I can imagine the face on the boss if I said I needed time off for stress.
    There are varying degrees of stress though - when it gets to the point that it's actually making a person ill, then intervention is the sensible thing. Most of us have been in workplaces where things got too much at times, but it didn't mean we were unable to function. Plus, a person may be experiencing stress due to stuff happening in their personal life, and not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Einhard wrote: »

If a friend of mine went to their boss with anything bar a crippling injury they would be told to sling their hook. The state of the place down here and they are being made to do a long commute. He tried to call in snow days and lose out on his wage to save from the stress and already obvious damage to the car but there was no talking to them.

Some private sector employers can't be reasoned with and without say union backing you're screwed if you push.

I doubt many in the private sector would take it as quickly as people in the ps?

You must be joking. If you have a contract and a medical certificate (which can get obtained for as little as €30 I'm told) you're pretty much golden in most private sector companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

PCPhoto wrote: »
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Can the mods ban people for lying?

I hope so.

I value truth and honesty over entertainment personally.
    :eek:
    My honour being called into question??
    It is a very true story I'll have you know sirs.

I get more than my far share of thanks in the YLYL thread and no longer need to hunt across the wild plains of AH for those poor defenceless threads with few replies just so I can say something that loads of other people are obviously going to agree with.

I'm also far too Awesome to be stressed out these days.
    For instance a couple of weeks ago I had some serious money troubles, a lot of bills were due and I was in serious danger of being totally stressed out.
    What did I do?
    Well, I just lay on the couch, doing nothing except being Awesome until it all worked itself out a few days later.

*Any references to "Awesome" or "Being Awesome" or general "Awesomeness" in the above post should be substituted with a reference in the appropriate context to getting, and / or being "high".

Dudess wrote: »
    Full-on stress/anxiety can cause people to be unable to eat, sleep, feel like they're going to explode with the pressure, have panic attacks; stops them focusing (so what use are they in the workplace?)... I agree a bit of run-of-the-mill stress isn't an illness, but hardly anyone would look for sick leave for that in the first place, however when things get like the former, I would think it would actually be the sensible option to take some time off. If that's not an illness, what is?
    I also think there's far more a likelihood of people SAYING ADHD is used as an excuse for a kid being badly-behaved than it actually being the case.
    And I've certainly never heard of dyslexia being used as an excuse for... what? It's not like it's a condition anyway, it's a learning difficulty I thought.
    I agreed that stress isn't nice when its legitimate, so I don't know what you're getting at there, and I know not many people are going to use it as an excuse to get off work, but as you can see, some do. Stress and depression are very common reasons for claiming illness benefit, and I've known several people who have claimed on those grounds because they won't hassle you to find work like they do with the dole (these people are wasters, yes). Most are genuine, but a significant amount are not. Some people will use anything to get paid time off work.
    As regards ADHD, I personally don't think that its an illness/medical condition/whatever at all, it just seems to me to be a useful excuse as you say.
    I've known people who claim to be dyslexic just because they never learned to read or write properly at school, or they did badly in an exam, and use it to explain that away, and I knew a couple of people at school who used to claim, as much to themselves as anyone else, that they were dyslexic so they could use it as a crutch and be a lazy bollox! I also know people who are genuinely dyslexic so I'm not saying its completely made up, nor am I saying that stress and depression don't exist, but I am saying that a lot of people out there see these things as a nice excuse when things get a little bit too tough for them or they're feeling lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It's as common in both, unless the poor fcuker can't afford it. Do you really think the GP wrote Stress on the cert? There are many ways of dealing with that issue

:eek:
    My honour being called into question??
    It is a very true story I'll have you know sirs.

I get more than my far share of thanks in the YLYL thread and no longer need to hunt across the wild plains of AH for those poor defenceless threads with few replies just so I can say something that loads of other people are obviously going to agree with.

I'm also far too Awesome to be stressed out these days.
    For instance a couple of weeks ago I had some serious money troubles, a lot of bills were due and I was in serious danger of being totally stressed out.
    What did I do?
    Well, I just lay on the couch, doing nothing except being Awesome until it all worked itself out a few days later.

*Any references to "Awesome" or "Being Awesome" or general "Awesomeness" in the above post should be substituted with a reference in the appropriate context to getting, and / or being "high".

That's pretty awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You must be joking. If you have a contract and a medical certificate (which can get obtained for as little as €30 I'm told) you're pretty much golden in most private sector companies.

No, you're not golden in most private sector companies.

There is no obligation to pay sick leave, and you can still be let go if you're not fit to do the job you're contracted to do. A medical note would not prevent that.

From citizensinformation.ie:
    In some circumstances, where an employee has consistently been absent from work (or if through illness is no longer capable of continuing work), employment may be terminated. Employees are protected in certain circumstances in this instance through the unfair dismissals legislation.

Advertisement