Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

If you used the fudge recipe I posted up, it needs to boil for about 45 mins or until you drop a small amount into a cold glass of water and it forms a small ball that you can fish out with a teaspoon.
    I made it again last night. A bit headwrecking but its tastes great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I think it is worth it to buy a sugar thermometer for fudge, toffee, honeycomb and the jams. You can get them for under a tennor and they take all the guess work out and reduce the ruined batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Can anyone suggest where in Dublin I can get some nice cellophane gift bags or boxes to put cookies and biscuits in? We tried Stock and Kitchen Compliments and nothing suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

I posted a recipe for microwave fudge a while ago-havent had a problem with it yet-have never had to check the temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I posted a recipe for microwave fudge a while ago-havent had a problem with it yet-have never had to check the temperature.

I eventually just made some in microwave! Was lovely

• Advertisement

Anyone else fed up making and baking and stirring? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

I made this fudge today. Turned out great. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Good luck with the hand mixer-I sure wouldn't try it!! Nearly busted my brand new kitchen aid the first time I made them-using the American recipe without checking the amount of gelatine in our packets! Might take longer than 15 mins-takes almost that on full speed on my mixer! Good luck!!

Twas a challenge (15 mins with my Kmix hand mixer:eek: ) but it worked out really well, got the gelatine a little wrong as I only had leaf and they are a little soft, but otherwise tasty and really cute. Will post a pic when I'm posting from a device that supports it!

Jinx removing - I know it can be a chore making all the presents, but just think of all the effort you are putting into the gifts and how it will be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Eviledna wrote: »
    Twas a challenge (15 mins with my Kmix hand mixer:eek: ) but it worked out really well, got the gelatine a little wrong as I only had leaf and they are a little soft, but otherwise tasty and really cute. Will post a pic when I'm posting from a device that supports it!

Jinx removing - I know it can be a chore making all the presents, but just think of all the effort you are putting into the gifts and how it will be appreciated :)

Oi!!
    A quick google tells me that a Kmix is an electric hand mixer.
    And there was me picturing you turning a handle for 15 minutes!
    All impressed feeling gone now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My local supermarket has some sort of Odlums kit, I think it's for a Christmas cake. Anyone tried it? The last time I made Christmas cake I was in 6th class in primary school..!

• Advertisement

Oi!!
    A quick google tells me that a Kmix is an electric hand mixer.
    And there was me picturing you turning a handle for 15 minutes!
    All impressed feeling gone now!

Lol you'd have to be this fella for that to work:
    popeye.gif

I've really more the arms of olive oil :) tbh even with the electric hand mixer, it was only barely able to get through it, you could use that stuff as cement!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Eviledna wrote: »
    Lol you'd have to be this fella for that to work:
    popeye.gif

I've really more the arms of olive oil :) tbh even with the electric hand mixer, it was only barely able to get through it, you could use that stuff as cement!

I dunno how you managed with the hand mixer!!! I wouldn't even chance it-all that boiling sugar-I'm clumsy at the best of times! Making my last batch as we speak, its going to be yellow:D

Also made some more fudge and some mini key lime pie thingys(well I've used pre-made pastry cases, couldnt face making them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Pomegranate Vodka

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11483

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Anyone else fed up making and baking and stirring? :(

I'm tellin ya lads.... NEVER again.:) Although - I gave two of the hampers away today and the recipients were delighted and thought the contents were fab. I was most impressed with how my marmalade and biscotti turned out.

Thank you all so much for contributing to this thread and sharing your fantastic recipes. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Oh lads I'm making caramelised red onion chutney ATM and I'm DYING to go to bed! But it's simmering away on the job and not a sign of it turning all thick and gooey yet :( I think I left it too late this year but will tell the recipients that it will be best left for a few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

sillymoo wrote: »
    Oh lads I'm making caramelised red onion chutney ATM and I'm DYING to go to bed! But it's simmering away on the job and not a sign of it turning all thick and gooey yet :( I think I left it too late this year but will tell the recipients that it will be best left for a few weeks :)

I know how you feel, was still up about the same time holding a gingerbread house together until the icing dried. I ate both ginger bread Christmas tress to go with it out of sheer boredom :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Im a silent consistant lurker here ! Microwave fudge made, also Donal Skehans Chilli Jam. ( I think i might have over done the chillies !! ) The jam is nice and thick and the recipe of 1 kg tomatoes made 4 small jars. Just to say Thank you all for your great ideas and recipes. Everyone on this thread is so friendly and pleasant to each other. Happy Christmas to all .

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Hi guys.
    I made lemon curd which turned out great, its very thick in a jars.
    I needed another batch so decided to do lemon and orange one with hint of cinamon and rum extract. All well during cooking but now after 1 day in jars consistency is quite runny not nice and set as the lemon one.
    Maybe i did something wrong, what do you think good people?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Apple Chutney, ahoy, though I dislike the lbs measuring system. :p This is copied from an email.

2lbs. chopped cooking apples
    1/2lb. chopped onions
    1 & 1/4lbs sugar
    1lb. sultanas

1 & 1/2 pts. white vinegar (malt vinegar)
    1 level teaspoon mustard
    1 level teaspoon ginger
    salt and pepper

Method

Mix all ingredients together and cook gently until the fruit is tender.
    Simmer over a low heat until the vinegar has evaporated.
    If the mixture is too thick add a little more vinegar.

Anyone know if I could use caster sugar for the chilli jam?
    It's all I have..

• Advertisement

Loopy wrote: »
    Anyone know if I could use caster sugar for the chilli jam?
    It's all I have..
    I think you need jam sugar for pectin, it won't set otherwise!

Damn it.
    I forgot to get it today.
    ThAnks Jinx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

You can make your own pectin. Might be worth looking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Going to attempt microwave fudge this evening - I'm so excited! Could not find rice wine vinegar so using white wine vinegar. Hopefully will work out well :)

reallyrose wrote: »
    You can make your own pectin. Might be worth looking up?

Thanks but I'll just have to brave the shops again tommorow!
    Jeez, I thought doing these hampers would take some pressure off me. Almost done now though, thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

All done - finally! Did the biscotti yesterday and it was a total disaster, they were like bricks. So I abandoned that idea and instead did chewy cranberry & white chocolate chip cookies today, which turned out perfect. I've been in the kitchen ALL DAY, as I also did brown bread, cranberry sauce and creme caramel for tomorrow. I'm off to the bath now with a mahoosive glass of wine.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Honeycomb

375172_10150634657952678_552147677_11993279_1226854373_n.jpg

Cookies

408211_10150634642482678_552147677_11993158_1522284820_n.jpg

Chili jam, beetroot chutney & onion marmalade

404425_10150634640502678_552147677_11993134_279807423_n.jpg

One (almost) finished hamper

379862_10150634641572678_552147677_11993146_1291836822_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Finally everything is done and dusted and wrapped and put into hampers!! :D

this was my first year making home made gifts. Thank you to evryone here sharing their recipes and plans. I got some great ideas :) and really hope people appreciate the work gone into their gifts :P

Merry Christmas Everyone :D

My Christmas cake & some of the hampers..
    Merry Christmas everyone :)

40a2117e.jpg
    477d9c72.jpg

I'm buying soap sets next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Happy Christmas everyone:D

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas everyone, and well, just wow and well done! They're will be some very happy gift receivers tomorrow/today! :D

All done here too, 2 Xmas cakes, 2 gingerbread replicas of houses, lemon and orange curds, mini muffins, marshmallow snowmen, chilli jam, snowflake cookies....it's been a long week! Looking forward to giving it all away tomorrow, will post pics asap.

Merry times to ye all :)

Advertisement