Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

Blingy wrote: »

Ohhh I wish I could make everything on that website! This sounds amazing: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8025/spiced-arancello I've no idea what it would taste like though, has anyone ever tried it? Or limoncello. The mix of oranges and spices sounds delicious but that's a lot of vodka. :eek:

Also, a few years ago when I was in America I had this amazing drink, it was called Hot Spiced Tea and it basically tasted like hot orange juice with lots of cinnamon and other spices and it was delicious! So I saw the recipe for the mulling syrup and I was wondering if mixing that with hot orange juice would result in something similar? There's a chance it might be disgusting but maybe it's worth a try anyway. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

why oh why did I not wear gloves cutting the chilli's for the jam? My poor aloe vera plant took a battering!! On the plus side the jam is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

suomi wrote: »
    Also, a few years ago when I was in America I had this amazing drink, it was called Hot Spiced Tea and it basically tasted like hot orange juice with lots of cinnamon and other spices and it was delicious! :D

You brought back pleasant memories. Had an aunt used to send that very tea to us in a Christmas box. It was very good, especially good in winter when you had a stuffy nose, and i could make it myself. She also sent what we called "potato candy". they would be packed in a Coffee tin with a plastic lid, individually wrapped in little waxed paper twists. I think maybe I'll make some this year and save some for me too.:)
    here's the recipe if anyone wants to try it. I don't know if the brand names would be the same here as there but pretty sure you can get Tang on Amazon.

Friendship Tea
    1- 8 ounce jar of Tang instant orange drink mix
    1 cup instant Ice tea powder
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 packet lemonade flavor powdered drink mix (Kool aid)
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Mix all ingredients and place in a jar or container with a tightly fitted lid.
    To use stir 2/3 tablespoon of mix in a cup of hot water. For cold tea use cold water and ice.

Tang was advertised as something the astronauts took into space. :pac:

I'm sure you know the potato candy recipe. Just boil and mash a peeled potato to that add as much powdered sugar as it will take to make a stiff dough. Roll out on waxed paper sprinkled with more powdered sugar with rolling pin rubbed with more powdered sugar. (powdered sugar= icing sugar)
    Roll out to about an eighth on an inch thick spread on peanut butter and using the waxed paper roll up into a long snake. Let chill and slice into pieces. My aunt made hers about a half inch long and about a half inch thick, but I have seen them a greater diameter and sliced thinner. My Aunt let them dry a bit then wrapped them in waxed paper and packed them into the coffee can. My mother kept them in the refrigerator, still in the coffee can. They melted in your mouth.:pac:

EZ24GET wrote: »
    You brought back pleasant memories. Had an aunt used to send that very tea to us in a Christmas box. It was very good, especially good in winter when you had a stuffy nose, and i could make it myself. She also sent what we called "potato candy". they would be packed in a Coffee tin with a plastic lid, individually wrapped in little waxed paper twists. I think maybe I'll make some this year and save some for me too.:)
    here's the recipe if anyone wants to try it. I don't know if the brand names would be the same here as there but pretty sure you can get Tang on Amazon.

Friendship Tea
    1- 8 ounce jar of Tang instant orange drink mix
    1 cup instant Ice tea powder
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 packet lemonade flavor powdered drink mix (Kool aid)
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Mix all ingredients and place in a jar or container with a tightly fitted lid.
    To use stir 2/3 tablespoon of mix in a cup of hot water. For cold tea use cold water and ice.

Tang was advertised as something the astronauts took into space. :pac:

I'm sure you know the potato candy recipe. Just boil and mash a peeled potato to that add as much powdered sugar as it will take to make a stiff dough. Roll out on waxed paper sprinkled with more powdered sugar with rolling pin rubbed with more powdered sugar. (powdered sugar= icing sugar)
    Roll out to about an eighth on an inch thick spread on peanut butter and using the waxed paper roll up into a long snake. Let chill and slice into pieces. My aunt made hers about a half inch long and about a half inch thick, but I have seen them a greater diameter and sliced thinner. My Aunt let them dry a bit then wrapped them in waxed paper and packed them into the coffee can. My mother kept them in the refrigerator, still in the coffee can. They melted in your mouth.:pac:

Oh thank you so much for that recipe, it definitely sounds like it could be like the stuff I had! I'll give it a go if I can find all the ingredients. It really is amazing in the winter or when you have a cold. :) I'd be so happy if I was able to make it myself! I've never had those potato candies but they sound great too, I've never heard of anyone using potatoes in sweets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Chilli jam question, what sort of consistency should this be like? It's more akin to bottles of sweet chilli sauce, not runny, but perhaps not jam jam, if that makes sense.

Tasty. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Hey guys,

Have read through the thread, great resource! I'm planning on making a fair few bits and pieces, have been collecting my jars and all!

Just wondering how far in advance all of these can be made? I work in retail and Christmas time there is mental so I won't have a whole lot of free time to do this. Would like to get started asap!

Here's a list of what I'm planning on making, if any one has any suggestions on things I can get started on in the next few weeks I'd be very grateful!

Chili Jam
    Cranberry Nut biscotti
    Microwave fudge
    Chocolate truffles
    Mulling syrup
    Marshmallows
    Beetroot chutney
    Shortbread biscuits
    Meringue snowflakes

Thanks in advance!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Just wondering how far in advance all of these can be made?

Chutneys and relishes usually need to be left unopened for 3-4 weeks before use and have a long shelf life so you could make them now. Jam could probably be made now too, once your jars are sterile.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Chilli jam question, what sort of consistency should this be like? It's more akin to bottles of sweet chilli sauce, not runny, but perhaps not jam jam, if that makes sense.

Tasty. :)

Yep, it's always had the consistency of sweet chilli sauce whenever I've made it.

Michellenman, the fudge, truffles, shortbread and meringue snowflakes won't last long. Most truffles need to be kept refrigerated so bear that in mind if you're giving them as gifts. The shortbread would go stale relatively quickly, but will last for a week or so in an airtight container. The meringue snowflakes, I'd imagine, have a very short shelf-life, but I could be wrong.

I've made my gifts for the last 3 years while working in retail, and it's a real pain in the ass trying to juggle it all. If I were you, I'd cut your planned list in half, and focus on what will keep for ages :). In this case, I'd recommend the Chili Jam, Cranberry Nut biscotti, Mulling syrup, Beetroot chutney and maybe the shortbread if you can get your hands on nice tins. Remember it also doesn't work out *that* much cheaper to make gifts than buy them when you factor in things like jars, tins, cellophane, ribbons, bows, labels etc :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

This thread is wonderful. I was stuck for what to get my parents for Xmas this year and I'm going to make them a homemade hamper of treats. They're both foodies and will really enjoy it. Think I will be making these (nearly all from this thread):
    • Lemon curd
    • Cranberry and apple chutney
    • Mulling syrup
    • Infused vodka (not sure of the flavour yet - any suggestions? I don't like the idea of pomegranate)
    • Pistachio bark
    Of course will have to make some extra jars for my own house or I'd be in trouble with the OH! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

This is one you might try
    Cherries in vodka
    lovely at christmas, you can drink as a liqueur, and use the cherries as a dessert,
    the cherries will last indefinitely

500g fresh cherries pitted
    165g caster sugar
    500ml vodka approximately

layer cherries and sugar in sterilised jars,
    pour over enough vodka to cover cherries. seal.
    stand in cool dark place for a least six weeks before using.
    invert jars occasionally to help dissolve the sugar
    makes one litre
    do not use metal lids, use plastic
    or I use the kilner jars,
    enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Has it been a year already? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I think I might make some infused drinks for people for christmas this year off the Martha Stewart website http://www.marthastewart.com/903322/infuse-your-booze-liquor-and-cocktail-recipes#/902439
    Anyone know where I can get some smaller glass bottles? Like 300ml or 500ml? I'd like to do hampers of a selection of types for people.
    Also there's a pretty good section on that site for making your own presents:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/275058/traditional-christmas-candy-gift-recipes/@center/276952/christmas-candy-recipes

I'm making chili jam and the whole kitchen stinks! The smell of vinegar is so strong. Hopefully it'll taste nicer than it smells, otherwise it's probably inedible. :o

Edit - Okay so it's ready now and although it tastes lovely (phew!), it's very very runny. I read the whole thread and I know that it's supposed to be more like a sauce than a jam but mine is very watery. Like it's so runny that it feels a bit silly putting it in a jar. :o Did I do something wrong? There was some foam or something on the top so I took it out with a spoon and it was more like jam than the rest of it. Maybe I should've boiled it a bit longer.

Edit again :p I came up with something that I thought was genius but now I'm starting to wonder if it was that clever after all. I put the sauce/jam in the empty vinegar bottle. It looks great and everything, but does anyone know how long it'll keep in the fridge? It has a metal screw cap that I closed very tightly, and I sterilised the bottle and the lid twice so they should be clean. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Was the empty bottle hot when you put the sauce in it?

i know i made some last november and gave it to my sisters and it lasted for months in the fridge. I used leftover jam jars to put the sauce in and they were hot when the sauce went in.

ahayes84 wrote: »
    Was the empty bottle hot when you put the sauce in it?

i know i made some last november and gave it to my sisters and it lasted for months in the fridge. I used leftover jam jars to put the sauce in and they were hot when the sauce went in.

Yeah it was very hot, it was in a hot oven for about 20 minutes before I put the sauce in. And I boiled the cap so it was hot too. I used a jam jar for the leftover sauce too and the lid "popped" so apparently that's a good sign, it's just the bottle I'm worried about. But I guess it'll be okay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Bubblefett wrote: »
    I think I might make some infused drinks for people for christmas this year off the Martha Stewart website http://www.marthastewart.com/903322/infuse-your-booze-liquor-and-cocktail-recipes#/902439
    Anyone know where I can get some smaller glass bottles? Like 300ml or 500ml? I'd like to do hampers of a selection of types for people.
    Also there's a pretty good section on that site for making your own presents:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/275058/traditional-christmas-candy-gift-recipes/@center/276952/christmas-candy-recipes

Arnotts had a selection of bottles and jars when I was in there the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Dealz have cellophane bags with ribbons for 1.49 for wrapping pressies. Also cupcake wrappers and cases in a great range.
    (Portlaoise branch not sure of other stores)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Made the sweet Chilli Jam and it is gorgeous. The idea was to have the jars for Pressies but most has disappeared already so I will be doing a second batch.

I will also be making a 2nd batch of Onion Marmalade from the remaining onions from our allotment. It is absolutely amazing with cheese.

I just made spiced apple chutney for our hampers this year. It was very easy to make and very cheap. Breakdown of costs was:

- 2lb cooking apples €3.50 (can't really remember the price so this is a guess)
    - 2 onions €0.30
    - Sultanas €1.50
    - Malt vinegar €0.34
    - Granulated sugar €1.20
    (There was also spices and salt but I had them in the press already)

We bought jars of marmalade in Lidl for €0.65 and used them for the chutney; they are a lovely stout shape and look great once the labels are removed. They were 450g capacity and we filled 4 of them exactly. Total prices for all 4 was €9.44 which works out at €2.36 a jar.

Should add that the chutney tastes absolutely delicious and we will be making another batch so that we have some in the house for ourselves at Christmas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Any chance of the full recipe, including spices?

• Advertisement

No problem, here's the recipe:

Ingredients

• 225g/8oz onions, chopped
    • 900g/2lb apples, peeled, cored and chopped (I used cooking apples)
    • 110g/4oz sultanas, raisins or chopped dates (I used sultanas)
    • 15g/½oz ground coriander
    • 15g/½oz paprika
    • 15g/½oz mixed spice (I didn't have this so instead I put a pinch of allspice and a generous teaspoon of cinnamon)
    • 15g/½oz salt
    • 340g/12oz granulated sugar
    • 425ml/¾ pints malt vinegar (currently in Lidl for 34 cent a bottle!!)

Preparation method

1. Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan. Slowly bring to the boil until the sugar has dissolved.
    2. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring from time to time to stop the chutney sticking to the pan.
    3. When it is very thick and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid, the chutney is ready.
    4. Turn into sterilised jars, seal and cool.
    5. Store in a cool, dark cupboard for two to three months before eating.

To sterilise the jars, we had a pan of simmering water on the go and put one jar and one lid in at a time for about a minute, then removed and put the chutney into the jars immediately and sealed. This is the perfect time to make them as they will be ready to eat by Christmas time.

Top marks for being a ridiculously easy recipe (chuck it all in and leave it to simmer) and it tastes great. Think it will go very nicely with a cheese selection on Stephens Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Picked the last of the green tomatoes yesterday, so make some green tomato chutney, another thing for the christmas baskets :) sorry picture not great,

Got hampering today and made Nigella's chilli jam. Bit of a misnomer really (it's sweet chilli sauce, not jam) but I quite liked it. Perhaps a bit too tangy but I'm hoping it will mellow by Christmas. Again got 4 x 450g jars out of the recipe.

Chillijam.jpg

Also got some Limoncello brewing; bought 3 bottles of Absolut vodka (on special for €17 in loads of places including O'Briens and Dunnes) and added the peel (minus the pith) of about 15 lemons. It's sealed now and I'll give a shake every week; then mix it with sugar syrup just before Christmas and it is ready.

Limoncello.jpg

The wicker baskets I ordered from ebay arrived today, they are super. I didn't mean to buy gold ones but it turned out to be a great mistake as they look very festive. Worked out about €6 a basket or so including postage (I bought 4).

Wickerbaskets.jpg

And finally got some half price goodies in Tesco to tuck away in the cupboard until Christmas! Both down to around €6 at the moment. Very excited!

Sweeties.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Heatons have wicker baskets at the moment - 8 and 10euro a piece. Also Killner lables for jars are €1 for 24 and other jammy related stuff is marked down! check out the bargain bin in your local store! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Got hampering today and made Nigella's chilli jam. Bit of a misnomer really (it's sweet chilli sauce, not jam) but I quite liked it.

You didn't boil the jam for long enough.

I made it last year and found it quite runny but made it again on Friday and it worked out much better this time. Not runny at all and very well set. I could take the lid off a jar and hold it upside down without any falling out.

The only difference from last time was the temp I got the mix up to and how long I boiled it for. A couple of times I was worried it would boil over but it didn't. I also didn't stir the mixture at all until I was finished boiling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mackes

A great way to give a single pot as a gift is to wrap it in a tea towel and tie with a big Christmas bow! Two presents in one...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I'm so jealous. For the last few years I have made hampers for my parents and they have been a great success. This summer I emigrated. I will be home for Christmas but trying to bring home food products would be way too difficult and since I'll be staying with my parents I can't exactly make their present in front of them :( Ah well, I guess I'll have to give it a miss this year.

Happy hampering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Eep! :) I have been keeping an eye on this thread and have finally decided to make a hamper for my parents. I think they will much prefer this to some bought rubbish. I have been scouring the interweb this evening and have found a few recipes that I think will go down well, they aren't into spicey food at all.

I have also just realised that my best friend will love this also, perfect for the huge quantities leftover from the recipes I have found!

This is my list so far:

Carrot jam
    Walnut & raisin oatcakes
    Spiced beetroot & orange chutney
    Dill & poppy seed soda bread
    Mulled wine kit
    Onion marmalade

Tomorrow - off to find some jars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Not sure if it's been mentioned: Jamie Oliver's hot chocolate powder: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/jamies-christmas-with-bells-on/4od, http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/epic-hot-chocolate

it's really good. make huge choc curls by dragging a carving knife down a nice bar of choc and put them in and it looks lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Making hampers for the first time this year and need to get my arse in gear and get started on my preserves! Doing the following:

Chilli jam (Donal Skehan not Nigella!).
    Spiced apple chutney.
    Red onion marmalade.
    Maple and cinnamon butter.
    Christmas pudding vodka.
    Mulling syrup.
    Chocolate fudge.
    Marshmallows.
    Cranberry and pistachio biscotti.
    Sweet'n'salt roast chickpeas.
    And maybe lip balm.

All the jams/liquids will be jarred in the tall glass jars from here (SC013 at the bottom of the page). Also ordered cardboard trays from Alpack as well for packaging. Total cost for 100 jars, 200 caps and 50 trays was under €80 delivered to Cork, which ain't bad (Dubs can save over €20 shipping if they collect).

Advertisement