Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

I want to make the microwave fudge. Can I substitute the rice wine vinegar with red wine vinegar or does anyone have a better suggestion. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

proulx wrote: »
    Is there still time to make Chutney-does anyone have recipes that do not need that much maturing?

Any chutney will still be ok for Xmas if you make it this weekend. It'll only have 2 weeks till Xmas but just tell the ppl to be patient!

Most recipes will taste fine after 2 weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

Great thanks will get on to it tomorrow so, most recipes I looked at said 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

saleda wrote: »
    I want to make the microwave fudge. Can I substitute the rice wine vinegar with red wine vinegar or does anyone have a better suggestion. Thanks.

Second time I made it I used half the amount of ordinary vinegar instead of rice wine-worked fine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Going to make Jamies ketchup for presents this weekend. We bought all the ingredients yesterday and just need to buy some labels and ribbon to make the jars look a bit fancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Did someone post a recipe for Biscotti?
    I can't find it on this thread and wanted to make them tonight... :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Christ, how did I miss that post :D
    Thanks...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

saleda wrote: »
    Great suggestions in this thread, thanks for all the ideas :)

Was thinking of trying out a recipe for Cookie Dough Truffles, ingredients are:

1/2 cup butter
    3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
    chocolate bark, to melt for dipping
    additional chocolate chips, sprinkles, etc., optional for topping the truffles

Can anyone here translate the cups into ounces/grammes for me? I just can't work it out. Thanks :)

Would you be able to post up the method or a link to it? Really wanna give these a try!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Not sure if this any use to anyone but anyhow.... I got see through plastic resealable bags in Heatons today.
    They've got a large picture of a snowman on them.
    They're 14cm x 10cm (as in they are small but handy enough for putting fudge or something in) and they're 12 for €1.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

deise_girl wrote: »
    Would you be able to post up the method or a link to it? Really wanna give these a try!! :D

Sure, here is the link. Let me know what they are like, I haven't tried them yet but they look delicious :)

http://anniescookinglab.com/2011/11/12/cookie-dough-truffles/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MissMochaBean

NiCiarain wrote: »
    St Stephens Day Chutney has been mentioned in the thread but I can't see the recipe for it. Could someone post it please?

I'd love to make some gluten free items for a coeliac friend, does anyone have any nice festive gluten free recipes? I'd especially love a gluten free stuffing recipe.

Also, I'm looking for cellophane wrapping in Galway if anyone knows where I could get some please let me know :)

Lidl are selling rolls of cellophane for €1.29 at the moment. I also saw some in Easons. Hope that helps :)

I made Sweetcorn and Red Pepper Relish today. Looks pretty good! I just have to make rocky road and the pomegranate vodka and that's me done.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11421

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

trackguy wrote: »
    I made Sweetcorn and Red Pepper Relish today. Looks pretty good! I just have to make rocky road and the pomegranate vodka and that's me done.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=11421

Those jars are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Popel

How did you manage to sterilise those jars, if I may ask?

I bought them in Ikea and then all the lids melted when I sterilised them, which was a huge disaster with a full pot of jam and no jars left!!

I gave away the first of my jam today, took a photo finally, so will probably upload it somehow over the next few days.

Popel wrote: »
    How did you manage to sterilise those jars, if I may ask?

I bought them in Ikea and then all the lids melted when I sterilised them, which was a huge disaster with a full pot of jam and no jars left!!

I gave away the first of my jam today, took a photo finally, so will probably upload it somehow over the next few days.

Sorry to hear about the lids - I bought mine in IKEA too but I didn't dry the lids in the oven because the inside looks to be plastic.

I washed the jars and lids and just left the lids to air-dry and put the jars in a low oven to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi guys, has anybody got a good recipe for shortbread that would keep a week? Have searched on line but there are so many recipes I'm feeling slightly dizzy now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Hi Lola, this shortbread recipe is lovely and light, and keeps for a week!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11609/shortbread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Finally got started on my presents yesterday. Made the red onion marmalade, chili jam & honeycomb. Forgot to take a pic, I'll do it later. I've the beetroot chutney & the cranberry biscotti to add, then I'm done.

Btw, for anyone tempted to do the honeycomb, I found this method worked way better than the recipe that was posted in this thread. Sorry to whoever posted it, but the one from here didn't work at all for me, but this one turned out perfect.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-Honeycomb-treats/

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Just made 2 batches of marshmallow-one white and one pink-going to try to do a veggie version tomorrow after work. Need to get more dishes I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I've made the chilli jam but it's not setting. *panic*

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

I've made chilli jam today aswell and its very runny, but i read earlier in the thread that it happens so all ok.
    However, I'm not exactly sure if one of the jars preserved correctly cause the middle of the lid (the "button" thing) wasnt sucked in. I hope you know what I mean (I'm not an english native speaker so sorry). The other four seem to be ok. Can anyone advise what can be done about it?

EDIT: Would adding gelatine helped the mixture to set? What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Oh no!!!!!! You'll end up with a hardened lump in a jar if you add gelatine! The chili jam is really runny for a while, but the longer you leave it, the thicker it gets(and the better it tastes!) Its not going to have the same consistency as a fruit jam, rather more runny than that, but not as wet as chili sauce.

annie.t, try heating the contents of that jar again in a pot, and re-steralise the jar and lid. Pour in the jam and while it's still hot, lid it, and the centre should pop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

shinikins wrote: »
    Oh no!!!!!! You'll end up with a hardened lump in a jar if you add gelatine! The chili jam is really runny for a while, but the longer you leave it, the thicker it gets(and the better it tastes!) Its not going to have the same consistency as a fruit jam, rather more runny than that, but not as wet as chili sauce.

annie.t, try heating the contents of that jar again in a pot, and re-steralise the jar and lid. Pour in the jam and while it's still hot, lid it, and the centre should pop down.

will do, thanks shinikins :) ill let know how it turned out

also a little tip: when you core and seed chillies you may want to be using rubber gloves, after working on 12-14 chillies my hands are burning :D its gonna be one hot hotty hot jam :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hi all - i'm wondering if you can help me... Below is a list of what's going into my hampers. The conserves are going to be stored in kilner jars and the rest in cellophane, tied with ribbon.

Just wanted some opinions on shelf life.. What out of the list, can I make now? How long would each item keep for? I'd really appreciate the help - thanks. here is the list.

Chili jam
    Cranberry nut biscotti
    Lemon curd
    Caramel squares (as per cooking club... thanks Faith :) )
    Fudge
    Honeycomb
    Peanut butter cups
    Truffles
    Orange, lemon and grapefruit marmalade

Thanks in advance guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Wurly wrote: »
    Hi all - i'm wondering if you can help me... Below is a list of what's going into my hampers. The conserves are going to be stored in kilner jars and the rest in cellophane, tied with ribbon.

Just wanted some opinions on shelf life.. What out of the list, can I make now? How long would each item keep for? I'd really appreciate the help - thanks. here is the list.

Chili jam
    Cranberry nut biscotti
    Lemon curd
    Caramel squares (as per cooking club... thanks Faith :) )
    Fudge
    Honeycomb
    Peanut butter cups
    Truffles
    Orange, lemon and grapefruit marmalade

Thanks in advance guys.

The jam and marmalade will last a year or more, as long as the seal isnt broken. Lemon curd has a shorter shelf life, maybe six months unopened, due to the eggs and butter. Biscotti will keep in a sealed container for 6 months or more, but the rest will last no longer than a few weeks, especially the fudge and truffles. Thats if they aren't scoffed immediately!!:D

shinikins wrote: »
    The jam and marmalade will last a year or more, as long as the seal isnt broken. Lemon curd has a shorter shelf life, maybe six months unopened, due to the eggs and butter. Biscotti will keep in a sealed container for 6 months or more, but the rest will last no longer than a few weeks, especially the fudge and truffles. Thats if they aren't scoffed immediately!!:D

Thanks a million!!! So in essence, i'd be good to go making everything now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The base of the caramel squares is likely to go stale so I'd leave them to the last minute if you can.

Faith wrote: »
    The base of the caramel squares is likely to go stale so I'd leave them to the last minute if you can.

Oh yeah - jaysis. Forgot about the squares. I'll make them on chrimbo eve or the day before.. all the others, i think ill make this week.

Thanks for all the help. STARS!! The lot of you!;)xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

If anyone is planning to make Chilli Jam, 250g punnets of cherry tomatoes are 27c in Aldi until December 17th. I just made a batch (hadn't used cherry tomatoes before) and it looks good! I used the Donal Skehan recipe with 4 punnets (1kg) of cherry tomatoes. A great bargain which really drops the price per batch.

Aldi also sell demerara sugar (1kg for 99c) and fresh garlic and ginger. I think they have red wine vinegar too (though I used some I got in Super Valu). ;)

Advertisement