Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just videoed in Raphoe Co. Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

So Bastardi has changed his mind.

Looks like it. I thought he was forecasting the severe cold to be found in the places that had the heatwave last summer i.e Russia and far eastern Europe. Seems to be back pedalling.

Anyhoo...its a lovely sunny day here after all the fog has gone. Steam rising from the south facing roofs, but its a slow slow process of thawing. Never had as much snow, and bad road conditions as we had this past week, even worse than last year. Still very icy and wintry looking out.

That front looks a fragmentary type feature, if you catch it right, you can get a few cms of snow if thats what falls from the clouds, or very little. *hunches over screen studying radar output...*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Not sure what you're talking about, but the analogy is kinda broken.
    It is actually the dry, strong cold which helps to kill all the bacteria, mucus etc. Cold winter is the cleansing effect for the land - killing zillions of harmful bacteria, pests for the plants on the field, etc. If anything, it should be welcomed :)

How much killing is there needed, we had it for a good while now. It might be the homeless, those with no heat in their homes it will be killing next.
    It killed two elderly people in Cumbria last week.

Its actually amusing seeing people complaining about the snow and giving out to people for liking it, youre not going to change anything. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just videoed in Raphoe Co. Donegal

lovely stuff.

i just wonder is your height above sea level tiping the balance in your favour. where as senor pangea, who is getting rain. is that bit closer to sea level

Must be quiet in the happy Thaw Thread today....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

smashey wrote: »
    I can confirm that the heavy stuff is very much falling in the western part of NI here in Strabane. Lifford, Letterkenny and Ballybofey have all had a lot over the past couple of hours.

Yea just lookin at that rain today radar and looks heavy out west round Strabane and Ballybofey.

lovely stuff.

i just wonder is your height above sea level tiping the balance in your favour. where as senor pangea, who is getting rain. is that bit closer to sea level
    We are at the same height above sea level nacho, Im around 130foot above sea level and the sea comes right into Donegal town.
    Its the fact that I am further west than him is the reason Im getting rain.
    Snow has just turned back into rain, it wasnt going to lie anyways lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Pangea wrote: »
    Its actually amusing seeing people complaining about the snow and giving out to people for liking it, youre not going to change anything. :)

Love Snow Yum.

• Advertisement

lovely stuff.

Think he has snow now.. and what he gets as rain I normally get as snow 20-30mins later... so if he is getting snow now I look forward to what is coming my way.

I think the rest of the country esp. the midlands etc should be aware that this front has given me (on the coast) just over 3 hours of snow and its still coming down as i type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Wonder will the thread get mega busy later if more places get snow.

How many inches there now Irish? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Think he has snow now.. and what he gets as rain I normally get as snow 20-30mins later... so if he is getting snow now I look forward to what is coming my way.

I think the rest of the country esp. the midlands etc should be aware that this front has given me (on the coast) just over 3 hours of snow and its still coming down as i type.

so expect snow here?

Must be quiet in the happy Thaw Thread today....:D

It will come back to life which will be good news for children who are living in homes with no electricity or heating, for the homeless who have to live out in the snow and ice, for the elderly and incapacitated who can't get out of their homes, for those who have no water, for those who are isolated and don't see anyone.
    It will be happy thaw time again rather than the current misery some people seem oblivious to. I know the cold will return but there are a lot of people who need a break to simply survive.

I can't get to see my mother who is hospital. I am just looking forward to the thaw so I can just visit her, get in my supplies before the freeze starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Do you reckon it will stay heavy when it gets further inland? Iv a feeling it will break up and scatter drizzel inland. Please tell me im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

do you think this is an indication that the midlands will get it al be it a little later in the afternoon becasue of its prolonged downfall up where you are. (im talking Longford/Roscommon border specifically)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Looks like it. I thought he was forecasting the severe cold to be found in the places that had the heatwave last summer i.e Russia and far eastern Europe. Seems to be back pedalling.

Anyhoo...its a lovely sunny day here after all the fog has gone. Steam rising from the south facing roofs, but its a slow slow process of thawing. Never had as much snow, and bad road conditions as we had this past week, even worse than last year. Still very icy and wintry looking out.

That front looks a fragmentary type feature, if you catch it right, you can get a few cms of snow if thats what falls from the clouds, or very little. *hunches over screen studying radar output...*

Nope.
    He has been forecasting the extreme cold for this winter to the SOUTHeast of Europe, not to Russia at all. The extreme heat was on the far NE parts of Europe, while the cold he was/is predicting would be between Italy and Ukraine, and Slovakia to Greece, respectively. So far it looks to become reality soon...

Still sunny here as well, don't mind it at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

demakinz wrote: »
    Wonder will the thread get mega busy later if more places get snow.

esp. if it hits dublin :rolleyes:, like the weather reports detailed descriptions of ice across the country and a foot note oh its snowing in donegal, why i listen to rte i'll never know

from the bbc

138387.jpg

138388.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still going here but its still tiny flakes so I've given up on chances of any real accumulation. Its heavy enough and if we had flakes like in the Raphoe video Irish posted then we'd have had a few inches but its only a few cm deep after 2 hours

• Advertisement

it may break up slightly but my understanding was (is) that there is more lightlihood of it falling as snow inland. I was expecting rain here:D

Min wrote: »
    How much killing is there needed, we had it for a good while now. It might be the homeless, those with no heat in their homes it will be killing next.
    It killed two elderly people in Cumbria last week.

I do assume you don't think that we are controlling the weather, right?
    Here is what *should* have been done:
    It is simple - have a country that's prepared for winters like this, even if so occasional - have grits for sidewalks and small roads, have insulated houses that can be heated for half the money it takes now, and have a communal system that can take care of the elderly. Last winter's argument of "oh, it is so rare, will not happen again in 30 year" looks pathetic now, isn't it?

Last winter should have been an eye opener. Blaming people who like certain weather events is just the usual boring way of trolling, I'm sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Not sure what you're talking about, but the analogy is kinda broken.
    It is actually the dry, strong cold which helps to kill all the bacteria, mucus etc. Cold winter is the cleansing effect for the land - killing zillions of harmful bacteria, pests for the plants on the field, etc. If anything, it should be welcomed :)

Very true Figuramatyi, this is good healthy weather - and even road fatalities have fallen as people drive at slower speeds due to the ice.

I was driving out west of me this morning getting closer to the Atlantic and that front came over - heavy rain and wind, it was disgusting, and reminded me of what we could be afflicted with... give me the dry cold and snow anyday over that muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

THis front is definitely fizzling out goin over land.... just look at the rain today radar loop and its clear from that, dont get ur hopes up people in the east.... Its not looking like much!, UNFORTUNATELY! :(

Pangea wrote: »

There is a difference between complaining and people wanting the hardship to continue as they only think about what they want rather than people who are suffering from the current weather.

I am not giving out to you but do the people who think the snow is great, the cold is great, do you actually bother to think about the homeless, the people who have their electricity or gas turned off, people who have no heating in these conditions?

I have listened to more hardship stories on the radio, by reporters, by charities who work with people who are suffering in this weather, I just can't enjoy something knowing it is putting children, adults and their lives at risk. Why want that to continue, Joe Bastardi might say to enjoy the weather it is the only weather you got, but I don't think people freezing on the streets or in their homes are actually enjoying it no matter how hard they might try to.

We had the current cold long enough for these people. I don't get why anyone would want it to continue.

There is a difference between complaining and people wanting the hardship to continue

By equating people enjoying the cold and snow with them wanting hardships and miseries to continue you have just confessed that you are here to troll. Welcome to the ignore button. Way too much demagogy for my tastes anyways.

And back OT... still snowing heavily here in Donegal Town... 3hrs 24mins now:cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

I am not giving out to you but do the people who think the snow is great, the cold is great, do you actually bother to think about the homeless, the people who have their electricity or gas turned off, people who have no heating in these conditions?

All the major energy suppliers have suspended disconnections for the duration of this cold snap, saw it in the news.

Our heating & water went during the last snap and tbh hot water bottles, a superser and several layers kept us toasty warm.

And back OT... still snowing heavily here in Donegal Town... 3hrs 24mins now:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Good one... still sunny here in Galway, it's amazing how fiercely we resist any ppt coming this way... I really don't mind it at all, would hate to see rain anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, been about 2-3 cms here today.

Never checked the Weather forum yesterday and this took me by surprise!

Still coming down heavy enough too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement