Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Freeze bites back -6th December onwards (All discussion here please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Harps wrote: »
    At least people can actually talk to each other today, it was ridiculous last week, about 100 pages of 'Snow in D4' & 'will there be snow in Lucan?' type posts

That's gas! The post directly under that one says something like " anything on the radar for Galway"!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

The East's asleep today but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭touts

Jake1 wrote: »
    Can I just remind you that its really only in the last 20 years that most familys had heating :) I certainly didnt have heating apart from the fire when I was growing up. The fire had to be lit every day. Often had baths on front of fire too.I survived. :) People make things sound so dramatic, and Dickensian. Years ago people lived in stone homes with no heating just fires, and got along great :)
    As for homeless people thats an issue for you to take up with your local Politician really. Im sure you feel no worse about them than any of us. But we dont control the weather.

Indeed Many new houses thrown up in the last 5-10 years were built with no working fireplace (or with one designed for gas only). I've been in so many where the fireplace is a decorative feature with a couple of candles or at best an artificial gas or electricity fire. No grate or fireback just a mass produced cheap fire surround and a plastered hole in the wall. Light a real fire in it and you'll have an unholy mess. I even know people who paid extra to have the design of their house changed to take out the fireplace and chimney to make more space.

At least with an open fire the electricity/gas can go out (or they can switch it off if you lose your job) and you can still heat one room in your home. In times like this an open fire is worth it's weight in gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Finally seems to be stopping here, its gone back to a light drizzle now. Close to 3 hours of heavy snow though is much more than I was expecting for today

Listening to Highland Radio, as usual Meenaroy and the Errigal Road are both closed and most roads in north Donegal are impassible

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

touts wrote: »
    Indeed Many new houses thrown up in the last 5-10 years were built with no working fireplace (or with one designed for gas only). I've been in so many where the fireplace is a decorative feature with a couple of candles or at best an artificial gas or electricity fire. No grate or fireback just a mass produced cheap fire surround and a plastered hole in the wall. Light a real fire in it and you'll have an unholy mess. I even know people who paid extra to have the design of their house changed to take out the fireplace and chimney to make more space.

At least with an open fire the electricity/gas can go out (or they can switch it off if you lose your job) and you can still heat one room in your home. In times like this an open fire is worth it's weight in gold.

I actually told him other night to take out the stupid posh fire ( that wouldnt heat a barbie doll) & see whats behind & rack me up a real fire...... Plenty of trees that I can chop down should the need arise.
    We have no thaw - Unfortunately in winter months totally in shade at topof hill. Think car is frozen solid for its 11th day now.... My da always went on about frost on inside of glass... Got my first taste f it this morning when the Jeep decided to freeze on the inside as i deiced the outside.... Never seen that before... My 7 yr old was amazed !
    Everything is as it was a week ago - ice ice & more ice. We were doing the drive every day with salt & a shovel - have given up & now just scoot up the side of the grass. But walked to school this morning. Christ lads would yee slow down out there.. Complete muppets seriously trying to see if the handbrake actually work. I had my son by the scruff of neck at one stage as he slipped & went to go off the path with a tool doing at least 60 down the road. The roads were iced , the paths even worse . Just slow down.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

getting very dark here in Galway.

please be snow and not rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Oak Park is currently at -8..thats just crazy for this time of day! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Pissing where I am in Knocknacarra...rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Another weather thread where 50% of the posts are not relevant to the title thread :(

Oak Park still -8 at midday :eek:

Belmullet a balmy +6 :) shame about the rain.

Web_radar.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Pissing where I am in Knocknacarra...rain.

Crap, I am in Parkmore!

The rain is starting overhere now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

NTC wrote: »
    Crap, I am in Parkmore!

The rain is starting overhere now.

It will chuck down for at least half an hour, it won't have time to freeze before you get home tonight but tomorrow morning could be hairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it would seem the precipitation is going to be very slow to clear Munster and Leinster , so high ground there could see a decent fall of snow out of this. it will be interesting to see does the precipitation fall as snow around the Longford and Westmeath area. no doubt we'll get reports from these places shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Can I just remind you that its really only in the last 20 years that most familys had heating :) I certainly didnt have heating apart from the fire when I was growing up. The fire had to be lit every day. Often had baths on front of fire too.I survived. :) People make things sound so dramatic, and Dickensian. Years ago people lived in stone homes with no heating just fires, and got along great :)
    As for homeless people thats an issue for you to take up with your local Politician really. Im sure you feel no worse about them than any of us. But we dont control the weather.

Can you remember putting on your clothes and watching them steam on you as they dried. That was real cold and damp. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gerard Fleming didn't sound too convincing a few minutes ago on the One o clock news.................. "we think it will become less cold, we hope there will be a thaw";)
    The only place to see temperatures approaching normal may be the far north west. I can see a lot of advection fog developing in areas with snow cover with that high sitting on top of the southern half of the country. We'll see?

Bit of topic here, but my partner whos a taxi man, just called me to say hes Picking Gerry Fleming up to bring him to met eireann. I love Gerrys winks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Bit of topic here, but my partner whos a taxi man, just called me to say hes Picking Gerry Fleming up to bring him to met eireann. I love Gerrys winks.

Make him bring him to ur house instead! , and dont let him leve until he makes a personal video of him greeting all us BOARDSIES!! :D:D:D

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Make him bring him to ur house instead! , and dont let him leve until he makes a personal video of him greeting all us BOARDSIES!! :D:D:D

haha, I told him to tell gerry to give a Big Up to the Boards

If he gets Jean Byrne I'll get him to bring her to your house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Whatever snow falls today in East and North leinster will be of snow. It is still freezing here in west dublin. - 2 in Csatleknock. However I feel that once again there will be rain for the South of the country..Cork, Waterford, Kerry, Clare and Limerick area although the prcipitation might not even get down that far judging by the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is there snow given for donegal tonight?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Whatever snow falls today in East and North leinster will be of snow.

Well generally when snow falls it does fall as snow!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Wow really chucking it down snow wise here in Sligo - heaviest since the snow cold spell began I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The news at one referred to it as the weather crisis. Gerald Fleming said the front will stall in the south east with Kilkenny and Carlow getting most or something to that effect.

Good news is the thaw is still forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Fabregas9200

Centimetre or two of snow in 15mins in sligo. And
    schools closed!! Just brill

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

How heavy is this snow? should i expect much more snow in meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Min wrote: »
    The news at one referred to it as the weather crisis. Gerald Fleming said the front will stall in the south east with Kilkenny and Carlow getting most or something to that effect.

Good news is the thaw is still forecast.

Does that mean we will be getting snow in Kilkenny today? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Raining now in Craughwell, Co Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

PFL wrote: »
    Wow really chucking it down snow wise here in Sligo - heaviest since the snow cold spell began I think.

Yep the heaviest I've seen it so far. Bucketing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭davehey79

very dark clouds to the west of Longford town now coming from the roscommon direction so fingers crossed for snow :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think for Dublin specifically we are looking at snow initially but gradually back to rainy sleety hail mix. Also hail showers could effect the coast here later tonight aswell. Im not expecting anything significant in this area really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rhonin wrote: »
    Yep the heaviest I've seen it so far. Bucketing down.

did it start off as snow there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement