Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting Systems?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Mellor wrote: »
    I multi-quoted a few posts, to highlight some of the more glaring errors.

Gonna highlight some of your own, so no bother.
    Matamathic tells us that its very very unlikely that a coin will continue to land on heads (or tells) for a long period.
    Observation backs this us.

Eh, yes but that does not contradict what I said whatsoever.
    Your assumption that because is not impossible that it should happen is a bit bizarre.

That is NOT my assumption at all and I see you have done this quite a bit throughout my post.
    The mathematical odds of it happening show that it is highly improbable.

That's correct.
    Observation would agree with this.

Again, correct.
    I have no idea what sort of point you are trying to make here.

Evidently.
    If you were to take a large enough sample of lottery draws, I can guarantee that the same set of numbers would come out two draws in a row.

Look, even if you could find one example, in one country at some point in time where that event occurred - you are missing the point.

The odds of it happening (mathematically) are the same as any other six numbers coming out that week and yet it never (or rarely) does, if that point is lost on you, not much else I can say to be honest.
    It inevitiable, but the same needed would be quite large.

Exactly.
    In blackjack the odds are dynamic. From the shuffle they are easily quantified and could be considered known. As is the houses edge. As the odds change, counting cards tracks these changes (if done correctly/accurately). Because the payouts don't vary, at certain points, the player gains an edge over the house due to these changes.

Just want to cottect what you said. It's not an effort to do anything.

You didn't correct anything but just changed my word "fixed" to "dynamic".
    Here is that assumption again. That because something is not impossible that it will happen.

Here is this accusation again.
    I hoenstly have no idea how a sane person would even suggest that notion.

This is ludicrous at this stage.

You are suggesting I am 'Insane' here - quite unbelievable.
    It's incredibably unlikely that it would happen, this is no way "proves" you right.

Of course it proves I am right.

The very notion that people such as yourself hold onto, that makes a joke of using the law averages as a tool in Gambling and you can't find one example in the world that would blow it out of the water.
    Nobody who disagreed with you suggested the above would happen.

Of course they are, by suggesting there is no advantage using the Martingale after a sequence of 10 TAILS or Ten BLACKS, that is exactly what they are doing.

There whole point of their argument and yours I presume, is that there is no guarantee that HEADS or RED will ever come up and it makes no difference at which point the system executed.

If you could show examples when 40 REDS or 40 TAILS is common enough in experiments, then you would have proven the Martingale an illogical system and that the law of averages as having no place when it comes to 50/50 betting opportunities.
    Matamatical probability and "likeihood" are identical.

Look, mathematics does not have exclusivity over the word "likelihood", I have already stopped using the word 'probability', give me a break at this stage, you know my point.

If I used the word 'Chance', I would get the same nonsense.
    In closed systems like flipping coins and roulette it is very easy to put a figure on the likeihood. If the game is "fair" the likeihood exactly matches this figure.

Which word would you like me to use instead of probability / likelihood / chance - so that it can be differentiated from implying mathematical probability from this point on?

Either give me one, or stop being pedantic and take my point when I use the the word.
    Why are you why are you making this statement as some sort of "however". Are you trying to suggest this is some sort of proof?

It proves the phenomena of the law of averages, yes.
    Yes it is inevitable that heads is on the way soon. What are you suggestion that this proves??

The law of large numbers.
    After 5 in a row, there is a 50% chance it will end on the next spin, after 10 in a row there is a 50% chance it will end on the next spin. The chances of heads coming along soon are never going to changes.

Yes, as I have said on the thread all along, thank you for agreeing with me.
    There is no advantage to starting your bets after zero, 5 or 10 in a row. At no point does the likeihood (matamathical or otherwise) change and therefore it makes no difference to your bet. It is just as likely to win as before.

So you do agree there is an "otherwise" when using that word, so why nit-pick on it's use?
    Again, why are you even mentioning that? We know is unlikely to happen. the chances are so small* that is pretty safe to say its never going to happen unless somebody repeated it ad nauseum for the sole purpose of making it happen.

WHY am I pointing out that sequences rarely happen in coin tossing, are you serious?
    *It's about 1 in 18,024,780,783 to happen.

Aye, slim chance right?
    How are you confusing the chances of it happening a single draw with the compounded chances of it happening over a series of draws.

I am not, that is your reading of it.
    Yes it is inevitable as there are only 10 balls. But this in no way proves, or even suggests that the odds are increasing.

I never said the "odds" where changing, it is precislly because the odds don't change that makes it a good bet for the Martingale.
    Each time there is a 10% chances that it will come out, or 90% that it won't. If you keep repeating the draw, it will eventually come out, as the chances that it will continue to not get picked are infinitesimal.

Precisely.
    What I find lauhable is that you regard this as likeihood increasing. Its not, you are simply takign a bigger sample. It's more likely to come out over 10 draws than 2 draws, this is obvious.

You just contradicted yourself there :p
    But the chances on any individual draw don't change.

Who said they did?

Not once have I suggested on this thread that the odds change on an individual draw, quite the contrary - I have made it very clear that I don't, despite the straw man tactics.
    Even after 9 misses, the tenth draw isn't more likely to be a winner.

I know, in fact I have said made this point myself, have you read this thread from the start?
    Mathemathics suggests that its so unlikely to happen that it probably never will. Observation suggests mathematic is right.

:)

I never said Mathematics showed it anything other than "unlikely", why are you suggesting I did?

What I said was, that mathimathics showed it "theoretically" possible, which is another way of saying: 'unlikely' is it not.

You seem to be going to great pains to try and disagree with me here, when there is no obvious need.
    One individual ball will come out, eventually, as adding up all the chances that it comes out will obviously get bigger and bigger.

Yes.
    This is not the same as the chances of it increasing on a single draw.

When did I say the "odds" would change on a "single draw"??

The Martingale doesn't work on single draws or for single bets.
    I have no idea how you would even think that?

I have no idea why you would think I think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I use the martingale system from time to time, it is foolproof - that is a fact.

The key to the system, is to find something that either A or B will happen, and never happens for ten times in a row or more.

0194BC14.gif

Israeli Lotto, same numbers in reverse order 3 weeks later.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2010/1018/1224281341526.html.

Four Trillion to One shot and the 125 winners, I'd be pissed :p
    gondorff wrote: »
    Gif

More gifs eh, why not try and debate me and tell me why I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Only skimmed through this, but looks like Outlaw Pete has one point that hasn't been answered yet .... but that doesn't mean anything else he's said is correct.

Simulate 2 martingale strategies, one that bets on black right away and the other that only starts betting once there have been 10 reds. Let's say they both have the same starting bank, and 10 consecutive losses breaks them and they agree to bet over 100 trials.

He is correct in stating that 'the second gambler is less likely to suffer a streak of 10 losses that wipes out his initial bankroll" since a priori, a streak of 20 is less likely than a streak of 10. This does not mean that the second strategy is better, but the 2 strategies will have different distribution of outcomes.

The point he's missing is that after the first bet, both gamblers have different bankrolls. The second gambler misses out on any wins that come from streaks of less than 10. Thus gambler 1 either gets wiped out before gambler 2 starts, or he has a bigger bankroll.

The value of all wins from streaks less than 10 should compensate for the reduced probability of ruin, but I'll leave someone else to do the maths. (by which I mean that the average loss for each strategy is the same).

Finally, if you extend the number of trials to infinity, the differences in the 2 strategies disappear, but over a short timeframe it should be clear that the 2 martingale strategies will have different distribution of outcomes. Not better, but different.

• Advertisement

why not try and debate me and tell me why I am wrong.

I think you underestimate the weird stuff that can happen - you suggested that observation would see that the same lotto numbers wouldn't come up two weeks running but we've now seen that this is an event that has already occurred.

By the same logic I think you underestimate roulette sequences as well.
    I ran 10000 Head or Tail sims 3 times on the prev page.
    10000 is roughly how many spins a Vegas roulette wheel would get in a month (say 30 spins an hour for twelve hours a day). And there are around 1000 roulette wheels in Vegas.

Now in my 3 sims, the lowest sequence I got was 10, and the highest sequence was 16. And that was just 3 sims. Basically one months data for a mere 3 of Vegas's roulette wheels.

How many sims would I have to run to get a sequence of 20? Of 30? Of 50?
    If three sims get me a sequence of 16, then I'd say a sequence of 30 is guaranteed in 1000 sims. Basically once a month in Vegas.

Starting at 10 successive reds and betting $10, you are down $5120 by the time you get ten more reds. You are down $5.25M after another 10 reds.

It may not happen at your wheel, but it happens at someones.

.. you suggested that observation would see that the same lotto numbers wouldn't come up two weeks running but we've now seen that this is an event that has already occurred.

Hang on for second - you can't honestly think that because it has happened twice or even a dozen times, that this contradicts my point??

If anything, it just reinforces it.

You do know what my point was, right?

The odds of those numbers coming out, according to mathematics are the same as any other six, because the past does not predict future draws.

So even though, there is always the same mathematical probability / odds of any six numbers coming out of any draw, conditions being identical - it rarely ever happens.

So rare that one mathematician put it at a one in 10,000 year chance or Four Trillion to One.

That is my point, all other perms were 14 Million to One (or thereabouts) and that one was Four Trillion to one - yet according to some, there is the same chance for all perms coming out because the balls have no memory.
    If three sims get me a sequence of 16, then I'd say a sequence of 30 is guaranteed in 1000 sims. Basically once a month in Vegas.

Flawed logic.
    Starting at 10 successive reds and betting $10, you are down $5120 by the time you get ten more reds. You are down $5.25M after another 10 reds.

I have already stated this at the start of the thread.

The Martingale system can bankrupt people fast, very fast - but that does not mean that it cannot and does not work.

I am being reffed to as 'insane' and 'delusional' for saying that the Martingale system is a correct system that cannot be proven wrong and the best argument for this is that you need to be minted??

Come on now.

Who is talking about getting rich?

I started out this thread by saying that if I had access to a Million Euro and I had to use the Martingale to make a living, I could - easily, depending of course on a low limit, high max fair game.

People talk about Gamblers who use the Martingale as part of the Gambling strategies as if they are dumb, they are not. They are intelligent people who also know how to find wiki.
    It may not happen at your wheel, but it happens at someones.

Do you really think that I or others who believe the Martingale has it's uses, don't understand basic multiplication?

Do you not think it might be possible that people employing Martingale have cut and run points, just as in any betting strategy?

You and others have this notion that people who use a progressive betting strategy, executed at a time where they feel the law of large numbers will come into play, are all Homer Simpson types and expect to get rich quick and don't see the downsides to approach to gambling.

That is about as far from the truth as you can get.

I'm sure there are some who come across the system and get their fingers burnt, but that is true of gambling in general - it's not uniue to this system.

More gifs eh, why not try and debate me and tell me why I am wrong.
    Let's say a player has been lucky enough to have made the right selection four times in a row... Are you making him a worse than 1/15 chance to choose correctly a 5th time?
    Yes.

Er... but it's still a 1/15 shot!
    Any amount of persuasive discussion will not convince you.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

i can see petes reasoning behind his posts,but im of the opinion hes wrong aswell,even though i was fully behind his opinion for the first day or two.

please point out if this is totally wrong,because it more than likely is.the way i see it is,the odds of a roulette wheel finnishing black 10 times in a row is around 1000 to 1,but thats only before the first black comes out,so after the 9th black comes out,the probability of it being black again is now back to 2 to 1,and the probability of 20 blacks in a row,from this point,is still 1000 to 1 rather than 1000000 to 1.

what pete is suggesting is betting on previous events influencing future events,which is wrong?

The odds of those numbers coming out, according to mathematics are the same as any other six, because the past does not predict future draws.

So even though, there is always the same mathematical probability / odds of any six numbers coming out of any draw, conditions being identical - it rarely ever happens.

So rare that one mathematician put it at a one in 10,000 year chance or Four Trillion to One.

That is my point, all other perms were 14 Million to One (or thereabouts) and that one was Four Trillion to one - yet according to some, there is the same chance for all perms coming out because the balls have no memory.

Come on Pete, that not what the mathematician said and you know this.

4 Trillion to One is the odds of 3,6,12,13,30,36 coming up on 2 draws.
    The odds of the numbers of draw X being identical to Draw Y is however still 14 Million To 1 - but thats not an excitingly large enough figure for the newspaper to work with.

I'm convinced you know this and are on a big windup, so I'll bow out.

• Advertisement

Er... but it's still a 1/15 shot!

There are 22 boxes.

So, each player is 21/1 to pick the £250,000.

Each time he picks it - the odds should increase for him to do so again.

If some player on Deal or no Deal picked that box three days running, I would expect very big odds on him doing so again.

Would you really take 21/1 again??

what pete is suggesting is betting on previous events influencing future events,which is wrong?

No.

Independence does not contradict the law of large numbers.

You would be right if the bet was based on a single event, but it is not.

It is based on a a infinite number of spins / flips.

Herein lies the essence of the gambler's fallacy. Let's say I won the lottery last weekend (odds of roughly 14 million to 1), then my odds of winning the lottery next weekend with the same numbers are the same (14 million to 1).

Now let's say I'm going to pick 6 numbers and do them next weekend and the same 6 numbers the following weekend. The odds now dramatically increase to (14 million to 1) squared.

The odds of tossing a coin and it landing a head twice in a row are 1/4. Now let's say I tossed my favourite coin last week and it came a head, when I toss the same coin today, the odds of it landing a head are 1/2. Your (misguided) logic seems earnestly to want to believe it to be 1/4.

No amount of circular sophistry on your part is going to sway the thinking punter.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

the odds of a roulette wheel finnishing black 10 times in a row is around 1000 to 1,but thats only before the first black comes out,so after the 9th black comes out,the probability of it being black again is now back to 2 to 1,and the probability of 20 blacks in a row,from this point,is still 1000 to 1 rather than 1000000 to 1.

Correct, it's called conditional probability.
    Not quite. He's effectively suggesting that if you bet 1,000 times less often (than someone who does the full martingale) you are 1,000 less likely to go bust. That is correct, but you're also less likely to make (or lose) any money at all.

So if we have 2 people deciding to bet on the Lotto for 1 year. Second guy will probably make/lose exactly nothing. First guy could easily get wiped out.

If we have loads of people doing this on loads of different Lottos/roulette wheels/coins for extended periods, then some of the martingalers will make lots of money, most will go broke, all will go broke eventually. Most of the "wait and then bet" guys will either not bet at all, or make some tiny amount, some will go broke, all will go broke eventually.

Same eventual outcome for both strategies, different short term outcomes.

Yes.

Your (misguided) logic seems earnestly to want to believe it to be 1/4.

More straw man.

You AGAIN are referring to a SINGLE flip.

I have consistently said that a single flip will ALWAYS be a 50/50 chance.

Yes.

Are you serious??

Well, if a player ever picks the £250,000 box three times in a row.

Come to me, I'll give you at least 50/1 on them doing 4 times in a row.

Are you serious??

Well, if a player ever picks the £250,000 box three times in a row.

Come to me, I'll give you at least 50/1 on them doing 4 times in a row.

Well you asked me if I would take 21/1 on ONE time in a row.

I would be happy to take 50/1 on ANY 21/1 chance you can think of.

Well you asked me if I would take 21/1 on ONE time in a row

No I didn't.

Here is what I asked you:
    If some player on Deal or no Deal picked that box three days running ..

Well if that's the case, I really don't see what you are failing to understand.

• Advertisement

No I didn't.

Here is what I asked you:

Exactly! I wouldn't take 21/1 before the first event but I would be happy to before the fourth.

Well if that's the case, I really don't see what you are failing to understand.

I don't see what YOU are failing to understand.

You seem to think that the belief that the mathematical probability of a single flip of a coin never alters and a belief in the Martingale based on the law of large numbers - is somehow contradictory, it is not.

The law of large numbers does not contradict independence.

OutlawPete

We toss a coin and it comes heads 5 times in a row.

Simple question: At this stage, what odds would you give me on a 6th head?

We toss a coin and it comes heads 5 times in a row.

Simple question: At this stage, what odds would you give me on a 6th head?

Are you honestly asking me this question? :p

Read the thread ..
    It is ALWAYS 50/50 because there are only two possible outcomes!
    Look, we are ALWAYS at 50/50, please stop suggesting that what I am saying goes against the mathematical odds.
    You keep on saying that we are "back at 50/50".

We are ALWAYS at 50/50.
    Flipping a coin is ALWAYS 50/50.
    You AGAIN are referring to a SINGLE flip.

Are you honestly asking me this question? :p

Read all these pointless quotes of mine

Yet you still want to offer me way more than 21/1 on a fourth winning box?

Yet you still want to offer me way more than 21/1 on a fourth winning box?

Yes, because I understand the law of averages.

The fact that you would still take 21/1 on a player picking the £250,000 for the 4th time in a row is quite frankly, laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Obviously, the longer time passes, the more 'chance' that you will have of your numbers coming up.

OK I think I see what you are trying to say...
    The mathematical 'probability' of the numbers coming out does not change but the likelihood / probable / chance of them coming out is increasing.

Again, I am using a word now that will be picked apart and asked if that means that someone doing six numbers for the first time has less chance than you, just because it's their first time using those numbers :)

Let's say there are only ten balls in the Lotto and you had just one number (7) and each week one number was drawn out.

Ten weeks go by and 7 is not the number -well, the more weeks that go by, the chances of 7 coming out increase as far as I am concerned, eventually it will come out - it's inevitable.

Mathematicians will tell us that no number is more likely to come out than another, and they would be correct.

However, over a period of time the chances that 7 will come out are increasing and as time passes - the more those chances increase.

So you and I are sitting in a cafe. I say to you "What are the odds of this coin coming up heads?"
    You say "50/50... exactly 50%".

I say "OK what are the odds I'll flip five heads in a row, and they are all heads?"
    You say "Thats 0.5 to the power of 5.. about 30 to 1."

I say "What are the chances I'll keep flipping it for another five spins after that and it'll come up heads every time again?"

You say "That's pretty damn unlikely. You are asking about the odds of it being flipped heads TEN TIMES in a row. That's like 1000 to 1."

I say "No I'm saying.... what if I've already been flipping it before you arrived and it has come up 5 heads. That's in the past. I'm asking what are the odds that it'll hit ANOTHER 5 heads in the next 5 flips."

You say "Still 1000 to 1"

I think this is where the confusion is.

I believe you are mixing up the odds of the total sequence of events happening versus the chance of the future sequence of events happening.

In the lotto example: the odds of it coming up 2.3.9.25.33.38 next week are 10 million to 1 (or whatever). The odds of it coming up 2.3.9.25.33.38 in the next two draws is 100 trillion to one (10m x 10m).

However what if I tell you that 2.3.9.25.33.38 came up last week... does that make it more or less likely this week? Answer = no change.

You are looking at the two unlikely events together, whereas in reality one of them has already happened.

The fact that you would still take 21/1 on a player picking the £250,000 for the 4th time in a row is quite frankly, laughable.

I think that you are, quite frankly, laughable.

wanted_keyboard_smash1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

:confused::confused::confused:

on his 4th attempt to pick the 250k box from the 21 boxes, his chances are the exact same as previous its still 1 box from 21,

this is the exact same as your coin toss argument which you agree except replace the 21 choices with 2 choices.

Now if the odds would dramatically change if the choices were dependent on each other,

i presume it would be 21x21x21x21 = 194,481/1

• Advertisement

Horgan wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

on his 4th attempt to pick the 250k box from the 21 boxes, his chances are the exact same as previous its still 1 box from 21.

The mathematical odds of him doing so are the same.

Life however tells us that the 'chances' of him doing so are very remote.

It was remote of them to pick the box three times in a row, a third would be even more remote.

Bet ya Paddy Power would have a special on it and do better than the 21/1 ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement