Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - Live at the Marquee - 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is anyone else coming to cover the cancelled shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Hi

I'm going to see Dylan and Paul Simon. The last couple of times I've been I've been right up at the very front which was extra special but I can't remember what time I got there at. Both acts are on at 8pm. Does anybody have any idea what time to start queing from to get within a couple of bodies of the front barrier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

My God what a poor lineup. Is this really the best they could manage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Considering we're in festival season with so many bands within an hours flight of Cork
    it's always a disappointment to see so few relevant acts appearing at the marquee, most of the acts this and last year are well past it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AinsFlynn

pow wow wrote: »
    Is it really that bad down there? I'm torn between going there and going to the O2 for a gig. I don't think I've ever heard any positive reviews of it as a venue!

Personally I think that the Marquee in Cork in one of the best venues to see anyone live. I try to go to at least 3 concerts a year and the Marquee for me always comes out on top. No act is too posh or full of it to play it. And Cork will always give the best reception ;)

Who I have seen in the Marquee

Paddy Casey with Declan O'Rourke - fab
    Van Morrison - Brilliant
    Brian Wilson - very good

David Gray - very good
    Roxy Music -Great

The Who - good, thought they would have been better
    Antony and the Johnsons -Brilliant
    Elton John - Amazing, the best concert I have ever been to

Meat Loaf - good, he got a bit too drunk on stage
    Eric Clapton - Unreal
    Neil Young - Epic

Rod Stewart - Unreal, had a special moment with Rod at the gig
    Mick Flannery - amazing (I am in love with the man)
    Lady Gaga - brilliant gig (even better at the O2)
    Tracy Chapman - Great

Dara O'Briain - Hilarious
    Al Green - fantastic
    Tony Bennett - brilliant, a true legend!!

Going to see Elton John again this year along with Bob Dylan and Paul Simon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I saw The Who a few years ago and thought they were brilliant, it was noted as being the outstanding concert of their tour that year.

Latterly I've seen Boyzone (was made go!) and Des Bishop. Contrary to my own expectation if I had to see one of those acts again it would be Boyzone easily. The novelty factor has worn off with Des Bishop big time.

I heard that Tommy Tiernan was a big dissapointment back in 08??

The acts might not be great at times but anytime I've been there I always thought it was really well organised and always had a great atmosphere, very different from lots of other much bigger concerts I've gone to. Of course there is the added bonus of being close to home too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Went to see The Frames last night, great gig. They put on a hell of a show.

As for the marquee itself, it was my first time there and I thought it was a pretty good setting for a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I think the Marquee is a good concert venue, well for pop/rock/dance anyway.
    It's not too big but big enough to get a good position when standing whilst buzzing with atmosphere.
    I saw Morrissey there and thought it was good. I also saw Dara O'Briain there too and well, he was class no matter where he plays!

The only downside is the toilets situation and the bar, but I reckon this is because the venue is only a temporary one.

I'm not going to any shows this year nainly due to finances! I'd like to see Paul Simon again and Elton John would be good to see but sorry, just too expensive for me these days:(

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

been to a few gigs here over the years. Faithless were great but the sound was RUBBISH, you had to be up the front to hear anything. Robert Plant was great and Bellx1 were good. Would love to go to something this year but money is too tight :(

Jedward doing 2nd date

• Advertisement

BrianJD wrote: »
    Hi

I'm going to see Dylan and Paul Simon. The last couple of times I've been I've been right up at the very front which was extra special but I can't remember what time I got there at. Both acts are on at 8pm. Does anybody have any idea what time to start queing from to get within a couple of bodies of the front barrier?

Anybody?

BrianJD wrote: »
    Anybody?

well what time are gates opening at? I reckon if you're there around an hour or less before the gates open you'll be fine. A lot of punters going to see them will be happy to sit, not exactly Slipknot:D

When I saw Morrissey there I was able to move up the front via the sides and gradually move in towards the centre with relative ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

I was down at the Frames there last week and I must say they put on a fabolous show. The first warm up act was a young fella with a guitar who was actually on well before the main show was meant to start. The next band were awful. Then Hansard and co. strolled on and it was a brilliant show and they sounded great. The place was buzzing at the end but then they killed the mood totally with the encore.

I must say that this years line up is quite poor compared even to last year. Then again The Cranberries and Madness down there are up there with the best gigs I was ever at.

So, anyone know how Bob Dylan went down last night?? (without meaning to open a can of worms re his voice etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Went to see The Frames last night, great gig. They put on a hell of a show.

As for the marquee itself, it was my first time there and I thought it was a pretty good setting for a gig.

Was there as well and completly agree with ya was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Online01

So, anyone know how Bob Dylan went down last night?? (without meaning to open a can of worms re his voice etc).

Hi

Dylan went down a storm last night.

He was in (probably rarely) really good form...and kept eye balling the crowd..twas great.

The crowd wasn;t as upbeat at the last time he played (2006) but this didn;t distract from a great night.

He was also looking really well...has put on a little weight thank goodness.

Lots of Rhythm N Blue numbers - sometimes kinda Elvis ish...(I;m gonna be shot)

Hope everyone enjoyed the show

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Excellent show by Dylan - those expecting a greatest hits show should have known better.

He seemed to enjoy it himself.
    The crowd was a mixture of all ages and some towards the back spent the show chatting.
    The sound in the marquee was excellent.
    Old classics were delivered in his new r&b style and the backing band were among the best blues musicians I have heard.

The set list from last night was:
    Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking
    It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
    Things Have Changed
    Tangled Up In Blue
    The Levee's Gonna Break
    Ballad Of Hollis Brown
    Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
    I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine
    High Water (For Charley Patton)
    Tryin' To Get To Heaven
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Simple Twist Of Fate
    Thunder On The Mountain
    Ballad Of A Thin Man
    Encore:
    Like A Rolling Stone
    All Along The Watchtower
    Forever Young

I am a huge fan and while I know his voice will never be the same again I actually thought it was better than I expected it to be. This was his first gig in over a month and I think the rest probably did his vocals good.

I really enjoyed the set list and loved "Simple Twist of Faith" and especially "Forever Young"

Really Good Band. Musically I think you will never be disappointed with a Dylan band. I thought Bob was excellant on the Organ, Guitar and Harp.

I loved the fact that Bob looked like he was really enjoying it. I would imagine that his daily royalties would match his earnings for last night but he is obviously doing it for the love of it. He's doing about 120 shows a year, all over the world and he's 70. Looking at his recent Set Lists, he seems to change several songs every night.

Anyway, I loved the gig. Standing 10 metres from a living Genius will stick in my memory for a long time.

some great points BrianJD, Bon loves his craft, it's not for money he's doing it.
    On the age thing, just watching the news there and yer man Brendan Bowyer is 73 and still gigging in Vegas! I reckon Brendan didn't spend as much of his life (if any) in a haze of drugs as Bob did :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 harryboo

Can anyone tell me where in Cork the marquee is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 harryboo

harryboo wrote: »

Centre Park Road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Is is true that there's no bar at the Christy Moore gig ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Andip wrote: »
    Is is true that there's no bar at the Christy Moore gig ?

As far as I know, from his previous gigs anyway, he doesn't allow a bar during the show but you can get drink before it starts. He doesn't like people in and out during the performance - I don't know whether that's cos it's distracting or what....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Centre Park Road

I'm in the same boat. Googled it and directions are appalling. Is it at the rear of Pairc Ui Caoimh? We're going to Imelda May tomorrow night and are staying in the Maldron. Would that be walking distance (don't mind 15/20 minutes). I understand taxis can't get too close.

Thanks in advance.

Freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Googled it and directions are appalling. Is it at the rear of Pairc Ui Caoimh? We're going to Imelda May tomorrow night and are staying in the Maldron. Would that be walking distance (don't mind 15/20 minutes). I understand taxis can't get too close.

Thanks in advance.

Freddie.

It's a long walk from the Maldron, 30/40 mins walk say. Get a cab from hotel and they will take you pretty much to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

evilivor wrote: »
    It's a long walk from the Maldron, 30/40 mins walk say. Get a cab from hotel and they will take you pretty much to the door.

I'm staying in the Maldron too for the Elton John concert. I booked in there coz I was told it was near the venue! :rolleyes:

Anyway, just glad I have a place to stay albeit an expensive one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

leahyl wrote: »
    As far as I know, from his previous gigs anyway, he doesn't allow a bar during the show but you can get drink before it starts. He doesn't like people in and out during the performance - I don't know whether that's cos it's distracting or what....

I truly respect the fact he doesn't drink any more but I'm hearing there's no bar at all - not that we are looking for a session but a drink before and half time would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Andip wrote: »
    I truly respect the fact he doesn't drink any more but I'm hearing there's no bar at all - not that we are looking for a session but a drink before and half time would be nice

Ya I haven't actually been to one of his gigs before but I have heard from others that he doesnt allow a bar while he is on stage but I don't think drink is banned completely (like you can get it at the interval or before the show starts)- surely he wouldn't have that kind of influence to stop drink being sold?

Advertisement