Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

It wasn't the end of the world if my purchases didn't have them. Then when I got more serious into the collecting, having bought up a lot of the more obvious and common games, I made sure to buy the games with spine cards from then on. Even if it meant paying an extra tenner, or more....

I've gone about it a similar way, although I also try to ensure I buy NTSC-J but sometimes you look at the price compared to NTSC-U, or the PAL/NTSC-U edition may be scarcer and I go with that. I personally wouldn't pay £10 extra on something just for the spinecard though, I draw the line there (unless it was something incredibly rare which lets face it, if you're spending serious money on a rarity and extra £10 for a spine card wouldn't bother you.
    One thing I will point out regarding all these OCDs outlined is that games that are fully complete with spine, obi and any included ads or pamphlets tend to have been well looked after by the previous owner, so the disc and case and manual should be in better shape than a copy of the same game owned by another person who hasn't kept the paperwork from the game when it was new. Thats my own experience anyway.

Similar-ish reasoning I have too. Although obi cards can be easily forged, I still use them and reg cards etc as an authenticity bench mark of sorts.

Here's a young fellow who really does have SC-OCD though:

What I am worried about though is that 4 months ago I bought a Dreamcast. Today I find myself researching arcade PCB's. This retro gaming hobby we all share on these forums should really come with a WHO advisory. It's bad for your mental disposition (SC-OCD etc) and bad for your wallet! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

@Pyongyang

Its funny alright how you get more and more serious about the condition of your games as you grow your collection. I'm at the stage now where I won't buy a GBA or N64 game unless it is sealed or practically new looking and the same goes for my Saturn and DC purchases as well. I'm getting very fussy now to be honest! I just want my stuff as good as new and I don't mind paying for it so that it feels "mine" when I open it.

As such, you won't see me buying as much stuff as many other players. I put a lot of resources into an item that I want to ensure its bang tidy! I've something very nice winging its way to me (hopefully) tomorrow that is as complete as can be in hopefully in minty mint condition....

I also bought a cheap game from the same seller that is easily available from PAL Land but I got the NTSC-J edition because the box art is ****ing lovely! Much nicer than the otherwise okay PAL art.

I think another reason I put some serious cash into particularly nice items is because if I buy up a load of games I'll end up not playing them. Buying one "capital" purchase a month is fine for me, and ensures I get my moneys' worth too.

I'm going to invest in Much Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets in the month of October before I get King of Fighters XIII at the end of that month, and then its onto buying the mighty DoDonPachi on the 360.... a good few weeks of arcade goodness on the cards!

P.S.

The guy in the video Pyongyang seems to think that a spine card is an obi card... which I corrected him on in the comments section below it. Second, he says getting a spine card from a different game isn't that big of a deal and not worth quibbling over, yet he goes to the trouble of making a YouTube video all about it :confused:

P.S.

The guy in the video Pyongyang seems to think that a spine card is an obi card... which I corrected him on in the comments section below it. Second, he says getting a spine card from a different game isn't that big of a deal and not worth quibbling over, yet he goes to the trouble of making a YouTube video all about it :confused:

Exactly. :D

This glossary is worth reading though.

http://bensega.com/misc/glossary/

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Exactly. :D

This glossary is worth reading though.

http://bensega.com/misc/glossary/

Hang on.... so am I wrong then? And that glossary seems to say, word for word what that chaps say.....

I'm confused here now! Off for a Google...

• Advertisement

Hang on.... so am I wrong then? And that glossary seems to say, word for word what that chaps say.....

I'm confused here now! Off for a Google...

A spine card is an obi card, but I think is also referred to as a registration card. Either way, that lad sure loves his spine cards! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    Boxed Neo Geo Pocket in the UK for €23 buy it now -

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Neo-Geo-Pocket-Color-/230672891281?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item35b52cfd91

Only just listed and I don't see it staying there long.

Mine! If they're willing to post here =/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Master of the Universe

I know! I'm always amazed when I see weird lots like that turning up here. Makes you wonder what else is sitting out there behind Irish doors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Be wary. You'll notice most of the games are crap, and there's rather suspiciously a Pokemon famicom cart down in the bottom right corner :P

This also seems to be too good to be true: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sega-Saturn-games-43-JAP-MINT-/160650736490?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item256787b36a. Is it?

Any other cheap NGPC's on ebay that anyones willing to post? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Those sellers have zero feedback too, i wouldn't chance it.

Master of the Universe

Be wary. You'll notice most of the games are crap, and there's rather suspiciously a Pokemon famicom cart down in the bottom right corner :P

This also seems to be too good to be true: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sega-Saturn-games-43-JAP-MINT-/160650736490?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item256787b36a. Is it?

Wow that's a great Saturn lot. Are you going to bid? Or is it just there to make us drool? :pac:
    Any other cheap NGPC's on ebay that anyones willing to post? :D

This is kind of cheap. As far as I know you don't see this colour about too often.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Neo-Geo-Pocket-Color-Console-Clear-Green-/320758576308?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item4aaeb374b4

That's a nice colour alright!

Just made an offer on a skeleton blue one from japan. After seeing the auction you put up by god I'm buying NGPC tonight!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wow that's a great Saturn lot. Are you going to bid? Or is it just there to make us drool? :pac:

I'd love to, but I'm starting my masters in a week so serious budgeting afoot! Seems like a fantastic lot though - Thunderforce, Guardian Heroes, Parodius... Purty stuff!

£16 to send that boxed NGPC from the UK! No thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Chap sellling some cheap meg games in Waterford
    (theres a new non EA ones there)
    Problem is they're in waterford ;)
    http://www.adverts.ie/968292

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

pity he wont post would have been a good bargain there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

A snes game doctor has just gone up on adverts. The price seems a little steep though.http://www.adverts.ie/968664

• Advertisement

DickyC wrote: »
    A snes game doctor has just gone up on adverts. The price seems a little steep though.http://www.adverts.ie/968664

Agreed, that price is far too steep. Nice device though.

Master of the Universe

It has a 32Mb memory which is not to be snuffed at and may even make it worth the asking price. That'll play roms up to 4MB big. Which is most (if not all) of the Snes library.

Most of the other drives like this you'll see have well under 32Mb. My one is only 24Mb so I'm limited to 3MB and under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

http://www.adverts.ie/accessories/action-replay-sega-saturn-trade/968707

No idea what the guy wants for this one but looks pretty good, and he's looking primarily for a retrogaming trade too!

It has a 32Mb memory which is not to be snuffed at and may even make it worth the asking price. That'll play roms up to 4MB big. Which is most (if not all) of the Snes library.

Most of the other drives like this you'll see have well under 32Mb. My one is only 24Mb so I'm limited to 3MB and under.

Any idea what the limitations are on a super everdrive. Is there a way around region protection, say using a converter. I tried a converter I bought twenty years ago on a jap sfc and it worked grand, but would it work with a everdrive.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/accessories/action-replay-sega-saturn-trade/968707

No idea what the guy wants for this one but looks pretty good, and he's looking primarily for a retrogaming trade too!

Well it says €50 which is about twice what it's worth!
    Any idea what the limitations are on a super everdrive. Is there a way around region protection, say using a converter. I tried a converter I bought twenty years ago on a jap sfc and it worked grand, but would it work with a everdrive.

I have the Megadrive one and you still need a modded console. All the Everdrive does is flash a game to it's memory so it basically 'becomes' the game..which is then detected by your console.

I guess it may be possible to put region patched roms on it if they're out there. You can run all types of roms, including modded stuff. They might be hard to find though given that most people just mod the console.

Converters and SFC/Super Nintendos are hit and miss. They'll work with some games, but not others. If it works with a game you already have, it'll work with the same game on the Everdrive.

But yeah, just sort out modding the SFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Hey. Ive some stuff up on ebay again and tipperary is now in Ireland this time. Just getting rid of stuff that I got because the bundles had other stuff I wanted (sorry needed) included.
    Also getting rid of my dreamcast stuff. Just never caught on, guess I'm a Nintendo Fanboy. Having said that I'm thinking of getting a Saturn.

Think I may get my pal one modded then if that's the case. Did you get your cart from stone age gamer.

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Hey. Ive some stuff up on ebay again and tipperary is now in Ireland this time. Just getting rid of stuff that I got because the bundles had other stuff I wanted (sorry needed) included.
    Also getting rid of my dreamcast stuff. Just never caught on, guess I'm a Nintendo Fanboy. Having said that I'm thinking of getting a Saturn.

Got a link to your stuff? Wouldn't mind having a look :)
    Think I may get my pal one modded then if that's the case. Did you get your cart from stone age gamer.

I did indeed. I think when I bought mine it was back ordered for a couple of weeks. Can be hard to get sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Got a link to your stuff? Wouldn't mind having a look :)

Oh yeah. Be useful to post a link to said auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150665203878&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Might have a couple of more games up soon. Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, some SNES games and a couple of n64. Possibly some sega stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement