Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 01/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

Starting to snow there now, by god is there some wind with it that would cut you in 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

The 4.15 radar look as if we have a nice build-up forming over the irish sea :

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Temperature seems to have dropped noticably in Dublin CC aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

It looked far more impressive earlier though and all we got was a few scattered heavy spells.. in fairness, my view looks no different than yesterday or the day before. I'm still waiting for it to really kick off.

Very true. One can but hope I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Just woke up to attempt to get into work. But theres a fresh inch on the ground so i am not even going to try to get in. 3 days now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 pigwiggum

Is it not relatively warm in Dublin guys? I'm kept awake by the piles of snow crashing of the roof of my apartment building. Quite a bang

Was relatively warm most of the night, and there was a thaw on, but, to me, it feels like its gotten colder in the past hour. A lot crunchier under foot too.

I looked out my window earlier and two gardai were standing by the neighbours car.. next thing they start wiping the snow off the roof of it and pelting each other with snowballs!

This went on for about 5 minutes until someone walked by.. they stopped immediately looking like schoolkids caught actin' the bollix.. very funny.

Good to see the tax payers money being put to use!

Are the roads still as bad out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Snowing in maynooth at the mo. Had a good inch during rehearsals yesterday evening and from the window looks like another inch or two on my car again despite being clear going to bed! Thank god I'm not going anywhere!

• Advertisement

pigwiggum wrote: »
    Are the roads still as bad out there?

Wouldn't drive unless you had to.. but public transport isn't really an option either if the same happens later on

The 4 wheel drive has handled everything so far, I was just thinking some of the sheet ice might have gone over night but it's probably a bit too early for that maybe

Quick look out the window, and no action in Drogheda at the moment.

That said, it has been on and off for the last few hours (only for a few short minutes at a time, and very light each time, too).

I want something heavy before sunrise :(

Faustino, you should have gotten some photos of the guards, could have sold them for a few euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like winds have veer more NNE and Swords/ Skerries/ Balbriggan about to get hit.

Too far north of here still, just need a jog south but doesnt look like happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

down to -5 here in wicklow, there was a few heavy snow showers earlier in the night seems to have stopped now, can hear the gritter moving along the main road, but gonna be a night mare even moving in the estate later, took a bad fall here earlier, seems to be a layer of ice under very loose snow ( thankfully there was noone around to see me aot:D)

Weathercheck, how long is that wind direction forecast for? Will it change? Dublin centre has been shadowed for a few hours now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

pigwiggum wrote: »
    Weathercheck, how long is that wind direction forecast for? Will it change? Dublin centre has been shadowed for a few hours now I think

gonn veer ever more NNE for the day, meaning N Dublin has more chance as will be out of shadow, Dublin city too, probably a few hours later.

Cool thanks, I looked at windguru for wind direction but I don't trust them that often anymore

On an aside does anyone know what the law re being sued for anyone slipping on ground you cleared is? I could do with shovelling out my driveway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I read somewhere earlier, that when the minister for justice(cant think of his name) was asked about people learing footpaths etc, he said a bit of common sense goes along way, so im presuming that means if you clear your path and then someone falls,they would be laughed at if they tried to make a claim, will see if i can find the article now

On an aside does anyone know what the law re being sued for anyone slipping on ground you cleared is? I could do with shovelling out my driveway

Did ya not hear Cowan said in the Dail that no one would be sued by people clearing their paths and drive ways. Now the question is could you belive him? :D

Fantastic though they didn't say what they consider reasonable clearing. Shovel will do, I'll see if I can get some sand too

I don't think anyone's gonna be trying to sue you anyway.

I'd imagine the vast majority of people expect to fall in this weather, and try to prevent it by walking carefully and/or wearing suitable footwear.

I've only been out in the actual snow for about two hours today, and I slipped and fell twice. Not planning to claim off anyone.

Is this the 1st flight about to land at the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vdriver

Went for a quick drive last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6gCmVdT6Bc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

At least 2 inches since 6pm yesterday in North Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vdriver

And just now started to snow in Lucan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

bucketing down the past while in Leixlip!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement