Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst job ever?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

I worked as a merchandiser, my job was to go and replenish stocks on those long stick things you see dangling from supermarket shelves. I had to go up to the stock room and take stock down in a trolley and wheel it around the supermarket and tidy then replenish the tabs all around the supermarket. I had to do this in two large supermarkets. It sounds easy enough but it was pretty tough and the pay was measly and my decision to leave was based on the fact that the company I worked for decided to increase the amount of tabs, but I would still be getting the same pay. I was supposed to have all this done in 3 hours as that was the time limit of my pay...I couldn't see how this could be done!! So I left!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

It wasn't a bad job but still wouldn't do it again. I use to collect semen from horses. I had to hold an artificial vagina basically in a head lock while a big stallion did his bit. The worst part of it was cleaning out the artificial vagina. There's great money in it for the owner of the stallions but I got 40 euro a day 6 days a week was there for about 3 months then went back to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Nameless1

TheUsual wrote: »
    That's not true. People are grand.

You just have to get a thick skin, maybe that comes with age.

Whatever they say to you is not personal, it just means they are angry, emotional or panicked. I find women are the most abusive but they calm down faster then men and are kind of polite once they say their piece.

My opinion and from previous experience is that some people are a pain in the bol$ocks, your opinion is different and thats fine.
    Over time you just get sick of listening to them and putting on a fake smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Laurz858

manager for dunnes in annoyin town in wexford i wont say the name thoughbiggrin.gif

hahaha came accross ya randomly readin this thread! Of course ya love ur job now dont ya! Lovely customers, esp our fave Mr fifty-five himself! What a gent! Great hours- who doesn't wana work 12 to 9's!! ah no our job is like the most amazin job ever compared to some of these poor f*ckers!

My worst job was in a pub in Rialto, I was a lounge girl and they treated us like ****e!! We didn't get paid the minimum wage until one of the others reported them n they sent some1 in and they didn't give us holiday pay either! Had to work **** hours and if ya pissed the manager off she wud cut your hours for the week or put ya on the night shift Friday Saturday and Sunday for three weeks in a row just to piss ya off! She took a dislike to me for some reason so she wud bitch to the other bar staff about me ( who were also all knobs who lorded over the lounge staff) and to the customers. She also accused me of stealing on numerous occassions and once wen she was changin our tips into cash for us at the end of the nite , she gave me a fake tenner!!

We also had to clean up every nite, which was part of the job fair enough and wud have been fine only some of the customers were so dirty!! There wud be puke in the floor ( which once some1 actually just put a tissue over and dont even get me started on the toilets!!!

She also used to try and play all the lounge staff off against each other! She was like Hitler!! The customers called her the pig in lipstick! hahaaha! Never again!! I still have nite mares that I have to go back and work there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

newmug wrote: »
    WHAT??????? Tell us more about this!
    Crasp wrote: »
    I think that's illegal :confused:

And this is a classic example of not believing everything you read on the interwebs :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

i used to work on a farm one summer and one of the jobs was to assist the farmer in DE HORNING the young bulls which meant burning there horns of with a
    hot soldering iron, the smell from burning animals head was not nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

dunnes went throgh the stage where they decided to let trainee managers go bout 3years ago only reason :(would go back now if thet were hiring

well im in the exact same boat as you cnuts what excuse did they give you?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

working with a landscape gardiner cutting grass for 9 hours a day with a push lawnmower i kid you not:mad:!!!

9 hours a day in the sun, smell of fresh cut grass, bit of physical labour... Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Worked as night manager for Tesco, great pay but they're a real shower of Cnuts to work for. You live to work, not work to live when you're employed by them.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Some real horror stories in this thread!

Here's my own. When I was between school and college I took a summer job in a Belfast hospital in a very loyalist area in the CSSD department, which is where they basically sterilise the instruments from operations and launder all the linen in the building.

So my co-workers were a bunch of oul Orange Lil biddies who did the washing and ironing, and a load of young lads from East Belfast covered in paramilitary tats who did the instrument trays with me.

Trays would come down to us in the roasting hot unventilated basement fresh from theatre, covered in blood and gore. You took the linen off the tray, dumped the scalpels in a sharps bucket, then tipped the metal into a sonic bath of some industrial strength disinfectant, which was fun as you got to shoot lumps of flesh off forceps and the like with sonic waves.

There were bonuses for anyone who was prepared to sign a legal waiver and do an AIDS or Hep infected tray. £5 a tray. One lad did as many as he could, because he was saving to bring his chick to America on holiday to see Rangers on a tour.

In the mornings, the biddies had control of the crappy boombox, and would play Orange flute band music non-stop. In the afternoon, the lads would turn the radio on to mind-numbingly annoying local radio. They were all members of the UDA club, and it was understood that when you got paid you went down for a few pints after work in the club on the Newtownards Road, real heart of darkness territory but very cheap pints.

I put the head down and just did the job as best I could, trying not to get sacked or spotted as a non-loyalist for the entire summer. Two days before I was due to finish up, it was my turn to grab the next tray coming down, and I was lucky enough to get one of Northern Ireland's rare abortion trays (it's legal there if the mother's life is at risk.)

How did I know? Tiny fingers stuck to the instruments.

I think we have a tie between you and leadership!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

chucken1 wrote: »
    And this is a classic example of not believing everything you read on the interwebs :D

Thats a classic example of arseholeology

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

newmug wrote: »
    I think we have a tie between you and leadership!

In many ways, they're quite similar gigs -
    Risk of contracting Hepatitis? Tick.
    Cleaning up rotting human flesh and bloodsoaked linen? Tick.
    Fearful for one's life? Tick.

But he had to paint trees to impress the Queen of England. I think he had it worse to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I worked for irish rail compiling tables of railway logic. Basically just entering thousands of codes like Crs-001/sk-99y2 and stuff like that into MS excel all day long.

I did this for an entire summer. I remember on one occasion I had spent the best part of 2 weeks compiling a table of thousands of logic codes and I went up to the boss to tell him they were done, he goes 'Fine, now go and check them all to ensure they're right'.

He was a complete A-hole, but I got my revenge about a year later when I was hanging out the window of a carriage smokin a fag (god be with the days) on a train and he was standing down by the track in the inchicore trainyard and I shouted HEY [name] YOU'RE A FCKING CNT and I flipped him off with both hands.

What a fkin cnt though. Seriously. Not for 100k a year would I go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Laurz858 wrote: »
    manager for dunnes in annoyin town in wexford i wont say the name thoughbiggrin.gif

hahaha came accross ya randomly readin this thread! Of course ya love ur job now dont ya! Lovely customers, esp our fave Mr fifty-five himself! What a gent! Great hours- who doesn't wana work 12 to 9's!! ah no our job is like the most amazin job ever compared to some of these poor f*ckers!

My worst job was in a pub in Rialto, I was a lounge girl and they treated us like ****e!! We didn't get paid the minimum wage until one of the others reported them n they sent some1 in and they didn't give us holiday pay either! Had to work **** hours and if ya pissed the manager off she wud cut your hours for the week or put ya on the night shift Friday Saturday and Sunday for three weeks in a row just to piss ya off! She took a dislike to me for some reason so she wud bitch to the other bar staff about me ( who were also all knobs who lorded over the lounge staff) and to the customers. She also accused me of stealing on numerous occassions and once wen she was changin our tips into cash for us at the end of the nite , she gave me a fake tenner!!

We also had to clean up every nite, which was part of the job fair enough and wud have been fine only some of the customers were so dirty!! There wud be puke in the floor ( which once some1 actually just put a tissue over and dont even get me started on the toilets!!!

She also used to try and play all the lounge staff off against each other! She was like Hitler!! The customers called her the pig in lipstick! hahaaha! Never again!! I still have nite mares that I have to go back and work there!!

The Bird or Rialto House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

kearney13 wrote: »
    It wasn't a bad job but still wouldn't do it again. I use to collect semen from horses. I had to hold an artificial vagina basically in a head lock while a big stallion did his bit. The worst part of it was cleaning out the artificial vagina. There's great money in it for the owner of the stallions but I got 40 euro a day 6 days a week was there for about 3 months then went back to school.

Think I remember you,were you the lad who was caught drinking on the job??

I have had some crap jobs in my time,dishwashing,tomato picking,toilet cleaning,container loading.I have had 90 hour plus weeks for months on end but compared to some of the sh*t here they were easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I put the head down and just did the job as best I could, trying not to get sacked or spotted as a non-loyalist for the entire summer. Two days before I was due to finish up, it was my turn to grab the next tray coming down, and I was lucky enough to get one of Northern Ireland's rare abortion trays (it's legal there if the mother's life is at risk.)

How did I know? Tiny fingers stuck to the instruments.

Fu*k, that's grim. I think that image would stay with me forever....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Worse job I ever had was at 16 cleaning sick outta a night club toilet the amount of abuse I got before that was unreal tho off the manager was giving out to me for doing the job as best I could with no experience in a busy function room at Christmas anyways Supervisor comes over clean up sick I go yea no worries go out back get coat and do a runner for the nearest taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

WilcoOut wrote: »
    my worst job was as a merchandiser for unilever

managers in dunnes made it a horrible job

iv never met a more self righteous pompous shower of self important morons in all my life

I deliver pallets of stuff to some of the Dunnes around the midlands and I completely agree. It seems that the just have to be plicks to get the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

well im in the exact same boat as you cnuts what excuse did they give you?

was an employee with them 4 3years while in school applied 4 management in summer of 04 jus as id done the leaving cert landed the managers job and in 06 the store i was in closed and i was transfered and 6months later i was let go as they had no work 4 me(in plain english) cnuts lik id been fully trained 3months and i never had a renewed contract so now at 23im in supervalu as a department manager on same money more or less but least i no ill be in the 1 locuation and not moved

what excuse u get

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

was an employee with them 4 3years while in school applied 4 management in summer of 04 jus as id done the leaving cert landed the managers job and in 06 the store i was in closed and i was transfered and 6months later i was let go as they had no work 4 me(in plain english) cnuts lik id been fully trained 3months and i never had a renewed contract so now at 23im in supervalu as a department manager on same money more or less but least i no ill be in the 1 locuation and not moved

what excuse u get

started as a trainee in arklow and was promised id be moved back to dublin after a year,14 months later i was transfered to gorey and the manager there was a knob and he went running to the regional because i wasnt a yes man,the regional said theres no jobs in dublin and theres only waterford as my parents where sick so i said no and was told id be gone in 6 weeks....3 days later i was told i was being transfered to clondalkin as there was a vacancy but it would be only to finish up.The moral of the story Dunnes stores are full of **** :)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

I suppose this is apt for this thread! I had forgot to include this in my earlier post but I can't edit it to place it there, so I hope its ok.

Advertisement